Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:04:01 AM EDT
I have been planning on building an AR pistol and have a few questions.

I obtained a stripped, virgin lower from a vendor from out of state that was shipped to my local FFL. It was logged into the "bound book" as a stripped lower, and so noted on the 4473.

I then contacted the mfg to see about obtaining a certificate stating that the lower was a stripped lower, and not a complete firearm. I was told that I could not get said certificate since the mfg had no control over the lower once it left the factory and they have no way of knowing how it was sold to me, i.e., stripped, built, or complete weapon. !?! All I wanted was a cert saying that it left the factory as a stripped lower, which is a service that they advertise, and charge dearly for! Seems kinda strange to me...

In any event, without the cooperation of the mfg, can I still legally build this virgin lower as a pistol? As I said, my FFL logged it and transferred it to me as a stripped lower, and the vendor sold it as a stripped lower. Am I still good to go? As far as I can tell from the FAQ tack, I should still be OK. I am planning on using an 11.5" upper for the build and do not want to have any problems, real or imagined. I'm waiting for my tax return to fund this project, and want to order the upper as soon as I get my money back. I will get a carbine upper and put the pistol build on hold, if neccessary, but I'm not sure if I need to do that.

Do I need to cantact BATFE and explain the situation before I build the pistol, or even order the upper? Am I over thinking this?

Any input /advise would be great...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's designated "stripped" on the yellow form, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The yellow form being the now white form (4473 I think)?

My receiver was tranferred as a pistol on the form, but I don't have a copy of the form.  In fact I have never gotten a copy of any gun sale form from a dealer.

So do you need to actually have the form, or just know that it was transferred as a pistol?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:00:31 AM EDT
[#3]
New stripped Lower , received by FFL as such and logged in , meets the Federal Requirement.

You  still must follow your STATE Law regarding pistols.

here's my build thread - gives a good overview

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=241611
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
AKs: That's what I thought about Fed, and I'm ok on the state stuff. Since I'm a member and not a TM, I cannot access the archive link, but thanks anyway for the effort!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Weird that Stag wouldn't issue a certificate.  They can't even confirm that it left their hands as stripped?

I built a pistol right after the ban (oh, about 1 hour after it expired).  So technically, the reciver I bought was a post ban still.  IT was sold to me stripped and my state has pistol laws (ie must be registered).  So I asked the FFL for a copy of the state form, which was provided.

I'm sure you are safe.  It was sold to you as stripped and transfered as stripped (on the 4473 that way also).

Just make sure you followed your state laws about pistols.... if any.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I was kinda suprised by Mark's reply, especially since I had been dealing with him by email and phone getting my LPK's, small parts and LTD upper, and he had been very helpful and easy going...

Oh well, huh. Maybe he was having a bad day...

Anyway, I really can't see any reason not to go ahead with the build with this lower. I anyone does, or has any ideas on where I can look further for more info on the federal regs pertaining to this matter, please let me know. I'm still several weeks, if not longer away from ordering the upper...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Heay if you want to be super safe, go get pistol engraved below the SN at a engravers shop.

You are good to go with the stripped lower so sold, to build your pistol.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top