Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 8:14:28 AM EDT
I have never been clear on one point and would appreciate any help that can be provided.

- A rifle, if possessed of a barrel shorter that 16" is an SBR, and requires all the appropriate paperwork. Got that.

- A rifle if shorter that 26" overall, regardless of barrel length is an AOW (or titel III, I can't remember).  Either way, it requires paperwork.

So, can a pistol have a barrel longer than 16"?  I mean, if there is no stock (and never was) it is pistol, right?  Even it the barrel is greater than 16"?  Or does having a barrel greater than 16" make it a rifle, and if it is shorter than 26" overall an NFA/GCA weapon?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#1]
11.5" heavy, flutted bbl with an A3 upper.

Now I'm going to walk down the hall and tell you the same damn thing, again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#2]
OK.  All the stuff I have been able to find here and elsewhere confirms that barrell lenght does not matter on a "pistol".  As long as it has no stock, OAL and barrel lenght are not issues.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

An office building or dorm
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have never been clear on one point and would appreciate any help that can be provided.

- A rifle, if possessed of a barrel shorter that 16" is an SBR, and requires all the appropriate paperwork. Got that.

- A rifle if shorter that 26" overall, regardless of barrel length is an AOW (or titel III, I can't remember).  Either way, it requires paperwork.

So, can a pistol have a barrel longer than 16"?  I mean, if there is no stock (and never was) it is pistol, right?  Even it the barrel is greater than 16"?  Or does having a barrel greater than 16" make it a rifle, and if it is shorter than 26" overall an NFA/GCA weapon?

Some states have laws (Michigan being one, I think...) that if the barrel is 16" or longer it is considered a rifle, even if it is techincally a pistol.  However, I do not believe there is any Federal law about this.

Best bet is ask in your hometown forum if this is meant as more than a hypothertical question!

No, I am not a lwayer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An office building or dorm

Office. And he went with the 14" variant. He may post a pic soon as all of the bits have arrived.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Just posted pic in pic thread.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top