User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stickemgood:

I have one of each on a couple of my builds.. the castle nut version allows you to use any standard endplate and install the buffer tube as you would a standard carbine tube. All of their buffer tubes use standard carbine springs and buffers. There is a spacer in the rear of the buffer tube to make up the length difference with the extended tube.

You can use the solid version, the only caveat of that is that you need to either use a pistol tube endplate or take your desired endplate and just grind the nub off with a dremel or file that would engage the bottom slot in the buffer tube. You need to be able to hold the endplate in place and screw in the buffer tube, which you can't really do with a standard endplate that engages the slot (thus the castle nut to allow you to rotate the buffer tube into position with the endplate engaged and then tighten in place with the castle nut.)

There are benefits to using a staked castle nut and many choose the castle nut versions for this reason.. ;)

Not a very good phone pic, but... lol

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u107/IGluIt4U/bang/e2dc03ec-3d40-4dc1-80df-a4fe481b9563_zpscc64ce8c.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By locobob68:
I'm planning on running an SB-15 on a KAK tube. Took a good long look at KAK's many offerings and now I'm somewhat confused on which one to get. Do they all use carbine springs and buffers? Any reason one should want the castle nut style, to me the straight screw in tube looks cleaner? Looks like most or all of them can be had with an end plate with a Q/D swivel receptacle. Think KAK ought to make a comparison chart so it's easier to see what features you're getting.

I have one of each on a couple of my builds.. the castle nut version allows you to use any standard endplate and install the buffer tube as you would a standard carbine tube. All of their buffer tubes use standard carbine springs and buffers. There is a spacer in the rear of the buffer tube to make up the length difference with the extended tube.

You can use the solid version, the only caveat of that is that you need to either use a pistol tube endplate or take your desired endplate and just grind the nub off with a dremel or file that would engage the bottom slot in the buffer tube. You need to be able to hold the endplate in place and screw in the buffer tube, which you can't really do with a standard endplate that engages the slot (thus the castle nut to allow you to rotate the buffer tube into position with the endplate engaged and then tighten in place with the castle nut.)

There are benefits to using a staked castle nut and many choose the castle nut versions for this reason.. ;)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u107/IGluIt4U/bang/e2dc03ec-3d40-4dc1-80df-a4fe481b9563_zpscc64ce8c.jpg

I dont think you can put a vertical foregrip on a pistol..

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Prosise: I dont think you can put a vertical foregrip on a pistol..

View Quote

There is plenty of information on why that set up is legal.

Search Results
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
PSA pistol buffer tube kit gtg?  I have read through the threads and haven't seen anybody with this setup. Sig brace compatibility etc... Building  a pistol and just wanted a little feedback.  Thanks..
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been answered.  I have an SB15 on the way.  Which tube will get me the same LOP as my BCM milspec M4 stock/tube in first (closest to closed) position?  The KAK tubes look kind of long, but then again, it's hard to judge just by looking at it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jwiist:
PSA pistol buffer tube kit gtg?  I have read through the threads and haven't seen anybody with this setup. Sig brace compatibility etc... Building  a pistol and just wanted a little feedback.  Thanks..
View Quote

I have their buffer tube kit, since the buffer tube does not have a castle nut it doesn't want to stay tight against the buffer retaining pin causing the pin to rise slightly and cause the BCG not to cycle
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By glockphobia:

I have their buffer tube kit, since the buffer tube does not have a castle nut it doesn't want to stay tight against the buffer retaining pin causing the pin to rise slightly and cause the BCG not to cycle
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glockphobia:
Originally Posted By jwiist:

I have the opposite experience. My tube has stayed tight for hundreds of rounds. The Sig brace will fit, but it is a very tight fit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
thx for the feedback
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been answered.  I have an SB15 on the way.  Which tube will get me the same LOP as my BCM milspec M4 stock/tube in first (closest to closed) position?  The KAK tubes look kind of long, but then again, it's hard to judge just by looking at it.
View Quote

Same question...
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Hello, tom here, tubeaudio.  The first gunsmoke four incher is what I would like to pitch my two cents in on.
First the buffer tube retaining pin is now unneccesary so was removed. Simpler. Buffer tube held by locktite and lock ring torque.
Is mounted on a lower known to operate fully.
Flat top railed A2 upper rcvr, free float four railed handgaurd (three piece),
microblock, A2 suppressor, 7.5 SS .750 brl, gas port unmeasured.
BCG two to try, both Dring, A1 green, 601/602 chromed both colt.
Cycles ammo flawlessly manually. Off to test.
Spring came with set from Gunsmoke, feels like a 45 spring as is, just like a 24 Wolfe?.
I believe removing buf pin will help. If problems I have a Bren recoil spring assembly much like
45 diameter but also inner spring all on center rod with flat base. Double springs
have a different energy absorption curve, but until others fail won't hack that yet it's longer
and stronger.
Some steel made in usa popup iron sites and eventually a 1.2 watt grn lzr.
Will add report after testing, if not well.........
tom, tubeaudio
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#10]
just ordered my kak buffer tube kit. my first build. doing it slowly and i'm learning a lot of things at the same time. i should have this done in a couple of months.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I read through most of this thread. Am I understanding this correctly, basically the buffer tube on a pistol is one without the grooves for a stock to be attached. However, the internals, the buffer and buffer spring can be from a carbine buffer tube kit? In terms of length and weight will this work in a 7.5 build? I could order just the buffer tube and try my extra carbine buffer and spring but would like to take advantage of the combo pricing on a kit if they are special for the pistol gas system.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my buffer tube, buffer and spring from Phase 5 tactical.  The tube is designed to essentially push back the SIG brace by about 3-4 inches.  This really helps with holding the pistol more comfortably and not getting poked in the eye with your sights.  It really looks cool too.  The buffer (as I understand it) is a standard Carbine buffer.  Phase 5 only makes AR pistols (7.5") and this is the tube, buffer and spring they use.  It also have a castle nut if you are concerned about it butting right up to the back of the receiver and it getting lose.  I haven't shot it yet...just finished the build on Saturday...so can't speak to performance, etc.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:56:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#13]
I have a guntec tube on my 7.62x39 pistol, and I ended up using contact cement to hold the brace to keep it from riding over the detent designed to hold it in place. It is not going anywhere now
No problems with the black one on a KAK tube on a 5.56 pistol.  There is more thump from the 11.5" barrel on the x39 to be fair.
I have over 1k rounds through both. Mostly steel cased stuff. No problems with either, I had one bad round of tula that wouldn't fire on the second try. I have an extra power hammer spring, and an enhanced firing pin, so I am pretty sure the round was the problem.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I used the Phase 5 Tactical buffer tube kit, works like a charm!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:27:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rawheadjim] [#15]
I had already ordered my Sig brace and went back through all of the pistol build pictures on that thread, almost all since there are over 140!  I ended up going with the Thordsen buffer tube and kit for my first build, and am very happy I did.  The post office decided to keep most of the parts and enclosed a "sorry, sh** happens" note in the resealed box they delivered.  I emailed the USPS note to Thordsen and they sent me the missing parts on their dime, great company!  The cheek weld on the Thordsen actually feels better than the Atlantic brace on my PAP M92 AK pistol, and I like the look better.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:02:00 AM EDT
[#16]
can someone measure the length of pull of their thorsdens pistol setup?  thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
This should give you a good idea of LOP.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]
LEO- Did you have Thordsens kit on first? Is that in use... for sale perhaps?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#19]
It is awaiting a stripped lower that is on order.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Another fan of Phase 5 hex2 here.  I love how the brace is further back.  I don't like having the receivers up in my face.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#21]

KAK SIG BUFFER TUBE 8.5" OAL (Shoulders to receiver end)
CARBINE BUFFER
SILICON CARBINE SPRING
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
View Quote

I want to know this as well, so bump.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:46:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GL0CK:
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab31/jrp5985/ar15com1.jpg

KAK SIG BUFFER TUBE 8.5" OAL (Shoulders to receiver end)
CARBINE BUFFER
SILICON CARBINE SPRING
View Quote

How did you secure the thordsen on that tube?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Thordsen email said a new tube with a longer LOP is coming out in Jan.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#25]
The new Thordsens appears to be a KAK Super Sig tube and the Thordsens kit. I think this setup is much cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#26]
The new Thordsens appears to be a KAK Super Sig tube and the Thordsens kit. I think this setup is much cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Correct me if I'm wrong. But the Thordsen website says you can attach the CAA Saddle to a "standard" carbine buffer with the supplied hardware. Nothing additional needed. You only need the Saddle adapter kit if your putting the saddle on a cylindrical pistol tube. Just trying to get it straight. My Sig brace should be ready for pick up tomorrow. But I really like the uncluttered look of the saddle. Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Holes:
Correct me if I'm wrong. But the Thordsen website says you can attach the CAA Saddle to a "standard" carbine buffer with the supplied hardware. Nothing additional needed. You only need the Saddle adapter kit if your putting the saddle on a cylindrical pistol tube. Just trying to get it straight. My Sig brace should be ready for pick up tomorrow. But I really like the uncluttered look of the saddle. Any info would be appreciated.
View Quote

I don't think that's right.  The saddle gets part of the adapter kit installed inside with mounting tape, and then the combined saddle and mounting kit snaps over their RE cover and is retained with more hardware from the adapter kit.  The whole assembly is then slid onto a standard carbine RE or one of Thordsen's special REs that doesn't have the adjustment holes and anchored with more hardware just behind the receiver end plate - the RE's rib keeps the cover from rotating.

I can't see how the saddle adapter kit would help you with mounting on a plain pistol tube unless there's more than one adapter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Hmmm. I'll have to check further into it. Thanks. It seems kind of convoluted just to attach a saddle. I dislike adapter's for this and additional hardware for that. It'd be nice if it was straightforward and simple.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#30]
The adapter is needed because the saddle is designed for something else (M4 stock?)
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I like the look of the Thordsen set up. I know this is probably a stupid question, but would it be legal to chop a magpul moe stock in half so that only the top part that slides over a buffer tube is left with the intent of using it as a cheek rest?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By kowabunga_dude:
I like the look of the Thordsen set up. I know this is probably a stupid question, but would it be legal to chop a magpul moe stock in half so that only the top part that slides over a buffer tube is left with the intent of using it as a cheek rest?
View Quote

There's been some discussion of this.  The general feeling is that since it starts as a stock the powers that be would always consider it to be a stock, but some people disagree.  I personally won't be trying it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Forgive me if its been covered here and I missed it. But I'm looking for essentially the shortest setup possible for an SBX to go on.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By heavyduty:

There's been some discussion of this.  The general feeling is that since it starts as a stock the powers that be would always consider it to be a stock, but some people disagree.  I personally won't be trying it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By heavyduty:
Originally Posted By kowabunga_dude:

That's what I figured. I'm not willing to risk it either.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I think a quick detach version of the thordsens setup would be the beez neez

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#36]
anyone using the phase 5 hex 2, can you tell me if the buffer tube goes the complete length of the SB15?
i know the KAK, MI and Spikes do, but i can't tell on the phase 5...
i prefer the full length tube inside the SB for strenght...

thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I just got my KAK buffer tube.

http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/buffer-tubes-and-parts/sig-super-sb15-pistol-buffer-tube-kit-plain

Sprung for the Carbine Endplate as well.

http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/buffer-tubes-and-parts/pistol-buffer-tubes/plain-endplate

Not real impressed. The finish on the buffer tube is marginal and the finish on the endplate is already coming off and I haven't even built the lower yet. Would not buy again. Crap. Just my experience. Yours may be different.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By GChambers:

Yours may be different.
View Quote

Mine was not different.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:18:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gvazquez] [#39]
Installed the new KAK Industry buffer tube made for the Shockwave Blade. It has 12 dimples which run along the bottom of the buffer tube so the screw can grab on with less chance of slipping on the tube. I also added a longer screw after losing the one that came with the blade.

Set on the first hole.

About halfway.

This is as far as it can go on the last hole.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's an extended length (9-1/8") buffer tube although it doesn't say what the diameter is. Made to fit the Sig brace.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Has anyone put a MFT saddle on a Thorsden kit? I like it a little better than the CAA
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By gvazquez:
Installed the new KAK Industry buffer tube made for the Shockwave Blade. It has 12 dimples which run along the bottom of the buffer tube so the screw can grab on with less chance of slipping on the tube. I also added a longer screw after losing the one that came with the blade.

Set on the first hole.
http://i.imgur.com/KE7vIdOl.jpg

About halfway.
http://i.imgur.com/cddgL0il.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hAzxzaLl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T3zkseEl.jpg
View Quote

That screams for a 'wing-nut' or some type of flip up/down tension bolt...
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:09:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By crashgordan:
anyone using the phase 5 hex 2, can you tell me if the buffer tube goes the complete length of the SB15?
i know the KAK, MI and Spikes do, but i can't tell on the phase 5...
i prefer the full length tube inside the SB for strength...

thanks!
View Quote

it does not, phase 5 sells a plug for the back of the sb15 to make it a storage compartment. just replaced a no name tube with the phase 5, seems ok
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:36:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: artener] [#44]
Originally Posted By Prosise:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prosise:
Originally Posted By locobob68:
I'm planning on running an SB-15 on a KAK tube. Took a good long look at KAK's many offerings and now I'm somewhat confused on which one to get. Do they all use carbine springs and buffers? Any reason one should want the castle nut style, to me the straight screw in tube looks cleaner? Looks like most or all of them can be had with an end plate with a Q/D swivel receptacle. Think KAK ought to make a comparison chart so it's easier to see what features you're getting.

I believe you can't because it requires an FFL Manufacturer to do so.  If you transfer your pistol to one, they put it on, and then they transfer it back to you (tax ~$5.00); then it would be legal.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smalls] [#45]
Originally Posted By artener:

I believe you can't because it requires an FFL Manufacturer to do so.  If you transfer your pistol to one, they put it on, and then they transfer it back to you (tax ~$5.00); then it would be legal.

View Quote

If you have an AR pistol that is > 26" the Feds consider it a "pistol". If you put a VFG on that pistol it is now considered a "firearm". If you put a VFG on a "pistol" that is < 26" it is now an AOW and needs a stamp.

ETA: Franklin Armory ATF Letter: http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:19:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rossi] [#46]
Originally Posted By gvazquez:

Set on the first hole.
http://i.imgur.com/KE7vIdOl.jpg

About halfway.
http://i.imgur.com/cddgL0il.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hAzxzaLl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T3zkseEl.jpg
View Quote

I'm probably missing something.

What's that accessory installed over the Shockwave brace?   I did not find anything on their website that looks like it.

Found it.  

Was it easy to put the CAA butstock cover over the Shockwave saddle or it required some mode?

Neat setup.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I think it looks great with the saddle on the shockwave, but that seems legally risky. I could see lawyer types considering that modifying it into a stock.

The thordsen kit was approved as is. The shockwave was approved as is. That does not mean you can combine them and be safe.

Not a lawyer. Not legal advice. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:22:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lsheldon] [#48]
I just ordered the Thordsen enhanced cheek rest kit with MFT saddle.  I'm assuming it doesn't come with a buffer spring and buffer.  For anyone who may have this kit or a similar kit from Thordsen Customs, what buffer do you find best if using 300 blackout in either an 8.5 or 10.5 inch barrel?  Standard, H1, H2, H3?  (not sure what length barrel I will go with yet for my first pistol build).

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone have experience with the Vltor A5 Recoil System Receiver Extension Pistol Buffer Tube kit?  Wondering if it would help to tame down recoil and make these short barrel setups a little easier to shoot and keep on target.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I've ordered the PSA AR-15 COMPLETE CLASSIC PISTOL LOWER BLEM - NO MAGAZINE, BLACK - 507802 which says it has a standard carbine buffer.  Can anyone confirm the diameter of the buffer tube that this pistol lower uses?
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top