Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 3:16:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:

You do realize why there's only one gas key screw, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By qmikep:  I'm interested in picking on of these up, however the lone gas key screw is discouraging me a bit. I noticed on the POF rogue the gas key seems to be more supported by the machining on the carrier. Does the Ruger bolt have similar  support for the gas key ?

WTF do you think he is saying? Does another language help - el lone-oh screw-oh de gas key-oh?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

WTF do you think he is saying? Does another language help - el lone-oh screw-oh de gas key-oh?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By qmikep:  I'm interested in picking on of these up, however the lone gas key screw is discouraging me a bit. I noticed on the POF rogue the gas key seems to be more supported by the machining on the carrier. Does the Ruger bolt have similar  support for the gas key ?

I think he's discouraged by the single gas key screw, but leaves it undetermined if he understands the reason WHY there's only one gas key screw.

Maybe a couple of you should try reading complete sentences before you craft a reply.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Pardon my ignorance but what is the purpose of the single gas key screw?  Genuinely trying to learn.  Read the whole thread and didn’t see the answer?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JohnSkiS:
Pardon my ignorance but what is the purpose of the single gas key screw?  Genuinely trying to learn.  Read the whole thread and didn’t see the answer?  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

To shorten the bolt carrier to fit the 7.62 in the 5.56 envelope the gas key had to be shortened to allow the carrier to travel far enough for the longer cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate it. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Is anyone buying the 20" version? I want to pick one of those up but I probably won't be back stateside for a couple years and I'm worried they will be discontinued by then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
Is anyone buying the 20" version? I want to pick one of those up but I probably won't be back stateside for a couple years and I'm worried they will be discontinued by then.
View Quote

I’m not sure they’ll get discontinued, rifles like the SFAR and the POF are the future for .308 gas guns. They’ve been out a while now and it’s difficult to find them instock (for a reasonable price). Just like the ruger precision rifle this was a smart move, and will sell great. I can’t wait for the barrel makers to start cranking out replacements.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Ruger has way too much time and effort wrapped into this thing.  It isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  I expect they will be releasing different chamberings in the not too distant future.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sagillman:

I'm not sure they'll get discontinued, rifles like the SFAR and the POF are the future for .308 gas guns. They've been out a while now and it's difficult to find them instock (for a reasonable price). Just like the ruger precision rifle this was a smart move, and will sell great. I can't wait for the barrel makers to start cranking out replacements.
View Quote
I agree, but like the RPR, when Ruger sees a particular version or model doesn't sell well, they are pretty quick to pivot and drop it. Ie. the initial offerings of the RPR in .243 and .223

It seems here and everywhere else online that the 16" SFAR is far more popular than the 20".

If I didn't already have a 16" Rogue, that's what I'd probably be looking at, too honestly.

Maybe I just need to find a local FFL that is willing to hold onto it for me for a while and order one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree, but like the RPR, when Ruger sees a particular version or model doesn't sell well, they are pretty quick to pivot and drop it. Ie. the initial offerings of the RPR in .243 and .223

It seems here and everywhere else online that the 16" SFAR is far more popular than the 20".

If I didn't already have a 16" Rogue, that's what I'd probably be looking at, too honestly.

Maybe I just need to find a local FFL that is willing to hold onto it for me for a while and order one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sagillman:  I'm not sure they'll get discontinued, rifles like the SFAR and the POF are the future for .308 gas guns. They've been out a while now and it's difficult to find them instock (for a reasonable price). Just like the ruger precision rifle this was a smart move, and will sell great. I can't wait for the barrel makers to start cranking out replacements.

Not like you can't pull the bbl in 5 minutes, and at worst, pull the bbl extension & have a custom 20" bbl made w/ the original bbl extension.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Not like you can't pull the bbl in 5 minutes, and at worst, pull the bbl extension & have a custom 20" bbl made w/ the original bbl extension.
View Quote
I should just do that anyway!

because expensive custom work is easier and cheaper than just buying the configuration you want while it's available.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#12]

because expensive custom work is easier and cheaper than just buying the configuration you want while it's available.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Not like you can't pull the bbl in 5 minutes, and at worst, pull the bbl extension & have a custom 20" bbl made w/ the original bbl extension.

By the time you pay storage for a year on a 20" Ruger bbl, might as well get a custom bbl made.  Send a blank to Paladin Machine of SC w/ the recovered bbl extension, get an extended length gas tube from White Oak, .308 should have enough gas to run longer than rifle gas.  When Paladin Machine made my eldest's 27" AR bbl a few years back, it was $85 to machine a pencil from the Green Mountain blank I sent them, + $15 for shipping.  I'm sure they're higher now.

Or camp out at CDNN, and wait for the 20" to pop up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven’t read the entire thread but is the only complaint/problem with this rifle the gas block/handguard. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 12:56:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I cant seem to find my calipers, maybe my daughter has them...

What diameter is the barrel

I need to order a gas block

thx
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:

thx
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

thx

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:25:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKJEFF] [#17]
Originally Posted By Maelstrom6:
I haven’t read the entire thread but is the only complaint/problem with this rifle the gas block/handguard. Thanks.
View Quote

Pretty much. And they have my rifle back again for the same issue they failed to fix the first time. Accuracy and gas block hitting the handguard. "Just under one inch" at 50 yards is a shit group IMHO.  Also telling me the handguard doesn't hit the gas block where there was finish wear FROM hitting the gas block is bs.  I spoke to the technician who claimed he used a 4 thousand of an inch feeler guage and it wasn't touching. I asked if it would touch when resting the rifle on the handguard.  "Not under normal conditions."  

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AKJEFF:

Pretty much. And they have my rifle back again for the same issue they failed to fix the first time. Accuracy and gas block hitting the handguard. "Just under one inch" at 50 yards is a shit group IMHO.  Also telling me the handguard doesn't hit the gas block where there was finish wear FROM hitting the gas block is bs.  I spoke to the technician who claimed he used a 4 thousand of an inch feeler guage and it wasn't touching. I asked if it would touch when resting the rifle on the handguard.  "Not under normal conditions."  

View Quote

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully they fix your rifle. Think they may correct this problem down the road?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a friend that has a 16”.   Trying to suppress it.  He has an old Saker that’s been updated mount wise.  All that works but it ejects at like 1:30 on setting one.  With the Saker on there and you start shooting a bit faster the ejection stats walking even more toward the muzzle.

Realizing that’s a higher back pressure can, what combination are people using?   We’ve talked to Springco and orange and an H3 were worse than factory.   Slash recommend his heavy buffer and spring that’s $140 and not going to be usable on anything else if it does not work.  Open to any suggestions.  Everything is factory for now.  All the screws have been tightened down with a torque wrench etc.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ViperEH:  I have a friend that has a 16”.   Trying to suppress it.  He has an old Saker that’s been updated mount wise.  All that works but it ejects at like 1:30 on setting one.  With the Saker on there and you start shooting a bit faster the ejection stats walking even more toward the muzzle.

Realizing that’s a higher back pressure can, what combination are people using?   We’ve talked to Springco and orange and an H3 were worse than factory.   Slash recommend his heavy buffer and spring that’s $140 and not going to be usable on anything else if it does not work.  Open to any suggestions.  Everything is factory for now.  All the screws have been tightened down with a torque wrench etc.
View Quote

A gas block w/ finer adjustments?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pfitter] [#21]
Any updates from guys who cut down a 20 to 16 and run suppressed

Do the Pof rogue bolts interchange?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pfitter:
Any updates from guys who cut down a 20 to 16 and run suppressed

Do the Pof rogue bolts interchange?
View Quote
tag for info
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:10:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ace-of-Based] [#23]
Nutnfancy review...

TLDW: Light, affordable, hard hitting, POF that is available and in reach of most dudes, should have offered an 18", 2 MOA accuracy, shut up and take my money.

Ruger SFAR Review by Nutnfancy

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AKJEFF:

View Quote

What type of ammo are you using and what are your expectations for accuracy?  Reason I ask is just under 2 MOA with factory off the shelf ammo is pretty normal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#26]
Looking at pricing I can get a 16" SFAR for ~$1100 and the POF Revolution Rogue for ~$1600. For anyone who owns/owned/has used both is the POF worth the extra $500?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking at pricing I can get a 16" SFAR for ~$1100 and the POF Revolution for ~$1600. For anyone who owns/owned/has used both is the POF worth the extra $500?
View Quote
you're probably looking at the POF Rogue in that price range. The revolution DI is typically a lot more expensive.

I only have Rogues. I hven't had a chance to play with an SFAR. But it looks like they are very similar dimensionally. Someone around here even swapped uppers (but didn't try firing them).

Additionally, the Rogue doesn't come with an adjustable gas block, but the SFAR does. And you might prefer the longer rail on the SFAR.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#28]
you're probably looking at the POF Rogue in that price range. The revolution DI is typically a lot more expensive.

I only have Rogues. I hven't had a chance to play with an SFAR. But it looks like they are very similar dimensionally. Someone around here even swapped uppers (but didn't try firing them).

Additionally, the Rogue doesn't come with an adjustable gas block, but the SFAR does. And you might prefer the longer rail on the SFAR.
View Quote

You are correct sir, it is the Rogue I am looking at.

The adjustable gas block is not a big deal to me and the I would switch the rail out for a BCM MCMR.

My main concern is durability. If the SHTF is one going to hold up better than the other? I really not a fan of all the holes Ruger put in carrier and the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#29]

You are correct sir, it is the Rogue I am looking at.

The adjustable gas block is not a big deal to me and the I would switch the rail out for a BCM MCMR.

My main concern is durability. If the SHTF is one going to hold up better than the other? I really not a fan of all the holes Ruger put in carrier and the upper receiver.
View Quote
Not sure what those holes are all about.

If I didn't have a 16" Rogue already, I'd probably be getting a 16" SFAR just for the savings. I was always going to change out the handguards anyway - AR15 handguard compatibility is one of the primary selling points for me.

If your preferred handguard will be longer than the midlength gas block, you're likely going to need to change the gas block on the SFAR. It's too big to fit under most handguards (including the one it comes with from the looks of this thread).

I've already posted these all over the place, but here's the 12" Rogue with an MCMR for inspiration.

Attachment Attached File

And here's the 16" Rogue with a KAC URX rail

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I was in my LGS yesterday and they had one on the rack for $1100. I was just impressed with the lightness of it and how it handled. I could see purchasing one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:  You are correct sir, it is the Rogue I am looking at.

Not positive, but I think those extra holes are gas relief vents for when things go tits up.  .308 has a lot more powder capacity than 5.56, and you're cramming the big boy into a 5.56x45mm length receiver.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone seen any good memorial day specials on these.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#33]
Tombstone Tactical has them for $999. Just make sure you deselect their advanced warranty in check out as it automatically adds it for $50.

That was the cheapest I could find it anywhere. Ships free too.

Now I have another $1000 worth of shit to buy for it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Tombstone Tactical has them for $999. Just make sure you deselect their advanced warranty in check out as it automatically adds it for $50.

That was the cheapest I could find it anywhere. Ships free too.

Now I have another $1000 worth of shit to buy for it.
View Quote
Holy shit. I wish I hadn't just upgraded my phone to a Pixel 7 Pro 25GB with all new chargers and cables after 5 years or I would go over there to get one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Alien:
I wish I hadn't just upgraded my phone to a Pixel 7 Pro 25GB with all new chargers and cables after 5 years or I would go over there to get one.
View Quote

Bragging?  Or, complaining?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By plinker2000:
View Quote

Also $999 here...

https://www.pistolandpawn.com/product/rug-5610-sfar-7.62-nato-308-win-16.10-blk-20r#product_detail

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By plinker2000:
View Quote

Not a special sale, they have been $995 frequently at KY Gun Co
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Just a heads up. Family Firearms in Alabama has them for 995.67 shipped to your ffl. Just ordered mine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#39]
does no one here know about gun.deals  ?

Find the UPC for your gun or gun accessory.
Search for it on gun.deals
profit.

It shows prices from online retailers. It's the best way to find the best price on gun items. I've spent thousands through them.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#40]
does no one here know about gun.deals  ?

Find the UPC for your gun or gun accessory.
Search for it on gun.deals
profit.

It shows prices from online retailers. It's the best way to find the best price on gun items. I've spent thousands through them.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Capture_JPG-2827517.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Capture_JPG-2827514.JPG

View Quote

Great site but do your research. I believe it was HKPro where a bunch of guys got scammed huge money using a site from there. Nothing a quick vendor google search won’t solve though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

Great site but do your research. I believe it was HKPro where a bunch of guys got scammed huge money using a site from there. Nothing a quick vendor google search won't solve though.
View Quote
Yeah caveat emptor. That site is just a list of prices from online vendors, but it's up to you to decide if a particular vendor is your best option overall.

I've successfully purchased from locked and loaded and Blackhawk armory on several occasions for example.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Picked up a 16" last weekend for $1096 out the door, and that was with sales tax. Now if only my optic would arrive!

FYI, if anyone is interested, the company is 303 Outfitters, out of Arvada, CO. The price was $989 before tax. Might still make it worth it for some to have it shipped.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Prices seem to be drifting down.

I'm noticing that on other guns, too.

I get a lot of email advertising that is showing a definite downtrend in pricing, across the board.

Seems to me the best strategy would be to wait. if people would stop buying, prices would fall further.

Unless of course, Biden and the Dems finally get their AW ban.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
I wish I hadn't just upgraded my phone to a Pixel 7 Pro 25GB with all new chargers and cables after 5 years or I would go over there to get one.

Complaining. None of my existing accessories worked with the new phone (old one was 5 years old). Replacing them got expensive when you factored the upgraded phone + two new wall chargers, car charger, 3 USB C to C cables, case, and a PD compatible power bank for my EDC bag.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Complaining. None of my existing accessories worked with the new phone (old one was 5 years old). Replacing them got expensive when you factored the upgraded phone + two new wall chargers, car charger, 3 USB C to C cables, case, and a PD compatible power bank for my EDC bag.
View Quote

Ya, technology is supposed to make life easier.  Shit, I'd still be using a flip phone if they hadn't discontinued service for them
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:24:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#47]
Just ordered a 15” DDC Mk8 for mine from Geissele’s Memorial Day sale. Will be done up the same as this but with an LPVO and LEP light. Unfortunately my SFAR is third in line on my project list that requires Cerakote so going to be a month or two. Big brother and little brother will be a matched pair.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:16:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I heard on the gun talk podcast yesterday that it’s available in 6.5 creed
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I heard on the gun talk podcast yesterday that it’s available in 6.5 creed
View Quote

I don't see it on their website, but surely it's coming.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Got a 20" and took it out yesterday. Shot a couple boxes of Winchester white box on setting 3, then another box on 2. All cycled fine, didn't clean it before going out. Was getting 2-3 inches at 200 yds, good enough for deer said the RSO.

Using an SLX 1-10. This is my first AR pattern rifle and magnified semi auto, for hunting out west and hogs in Texas. No idea what I'm doing but had a great time breaking it in.  If those huxwrx 762 flow cans come out, that might be my first foray into suppressors too... Go for broke right?
Page / 36
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top