Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tagscribed to this thread.
Bought a 30 cal can and decided to dive into 300 BLK.

Got 2 upper. One 7.5" and one 10.5"

Both have Superlative Arms gas blocks.
Bought a variety of ammo try in both.
Got dies.
Now I need projos and powder.
View Quote

What do you think of the Superlative Arms gas blocks? Are they easy to set? Are they easy to adjust? I went with the Seekins simply b/c they have the 2 selector sizes so hopefully I can get to it underneath the rail.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Speedy-300-Blackout-Case-Trimming-Jig-p/sd24-103.htm

Wow! Thats incredible! Thank you for sharing. What kind of table saw is that?? Ive never seen one like that. Where would I find something like that?
View Quote

I got one of these.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Speedy-300-Blackout-Case-Trimming-Jig-p/sd24-103.htm

Wow! Thats incredible! Thank you for sharing. What kind of table saw is that?? Ive never seen one like that. Where would I find something like that?

I got one of these.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

You are AWESOME! Thank you. You just made my night. Seriously
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are AWESOME! Thank you. You just made my night. Seriously
View Quote

No problem.  

Also you can find lots of spare blades & other stuff on amazon.  It just takes a 2" blade with a 3/8 arbor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What do you think of the Superlative Arms gas blocks? Are they easy to set? Are they easy to adjust? I went with the Seekins simply b/c they have the 2 selector sizes so hopefully I can get to it underneath the rail.
View Quote

So far, so good.
Easy to tune. I've only tuned it for supersonics so far as I dont have my supressor yet.
I've never had an adjustable gas block before so I don't have much to compare it with.
I'll update when my can is out of jail.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't see in this thread at least any list of good vs. bad brass to use for 300BLK.  I've read people say LC isn't good cause it's too thick, but this guy has it on his good brass list, but has PPU on his bad list & I usually like PPU, but I'm not taking into account any cut down brass, so once I do start cutting it down, I might see the problem better.  I have LOTS of LC brass & a fair amount of PPU as well, anyone else have a list of good & bad brass and/or a link to some?

Attachment Attached File

Case Trimmer Repair Reloading 300 Blkout
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just purchased a Noveske .300 blk barrel assembly lo pro gas block, pistol gas system with 10.5 in length.
I went back and forth between that ^^^and the Q honey badger barrel assembly 7in with adjustable gas block.
But looking at the velocity of supers out of the 7in the trajectory was horrible. So I hope I made the right choice to hunt hogs/whitetail, fingers crossed for out to 200yards with a BDC reticle or possibly red dot+ 3x magnifier.
About to build the rifle out when it get here, got everything but the muzzle device because I’m not sure if the suppressor I’ll use yet, Surefire SPS300 is one possibility
Any advice on suppressors used? I’m buy once cry once type
View Quote

I've been hunting to 200 with Federal's 120 Power shock, which is both noticeably slower (and has a higher expansion velocity min) than the Barnes 110 tac-tx, which is king ding-a-ling.  Trajectory really isnt that bad at 200, vertical holds are easy.

My cans are an SAS Reaper Ti and AAC 762sdn6.  Both are fine.  One is light and medium quiet, the AAC is heavy and quiet enough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, aside from this left-ejecting weirdo. All that's missing is an OSS muffler that I can't stop thinking about.

Also, is there anyone whom I can pay to reload for me? I have some 200gr polymer jacketed bullets I want to try out, but the one reloader that actually responded to me quoted $1,900 for 500 rounds. Needless to say, I declined.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
8.5" 300bo with a law folder makes for an awesome travel gun to toss in a backpack. Though I'll prob swap out the LPVO for a dot.

Reloading really does make it the caliber make a lot more sense you can tailor the round for your needs at an affordable price.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I didn't see in this thread at least any list of good vs. bad brass to use for 300BLK.  I've read people say LC isn't good cause it's too thick, but this guy has it on his good brass list, but has PPU on his bad list & I usually like PPU, but I'm not taking into account any cut down brass, so once I do start cutting it down, I might see the problem better.  I have LOTS of LC brass & a fair amount of PPU as well, anyone else have a list of good & bad brass and/or a link to some?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/288191/300_AAC_BLK_Cases_good___bad_4_trimming_-1915063.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7AfHB5LQVE
View Quote

LC has been GTG for me. I did have a random IVI I loaded up in a LC batch and it was so tight it wouldn't chamber in my V7 barrel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, aside from this left-ejecting weirdo. All that's missing is an OSS muffler that I can't stop thinking about.

Also, is there anyone whom I can pay to reload for me? I have some 200gr polymer jacketed bullets I want to try out, but the one reloader that actually responded to me quoted $1,900 for 500 rounds. Needless to say, I declined.

https://i.postimg.cc/dsW-Yhg4k/IMG-0999.jpg
View Quote

If you are providing the brass & bullets that's definitely crazy.   The fact that I already could reload is one of the reasons I went ahead & got into 300BLK as the price of factory ammo when I started was ~$2.00 round & that was for plain FMJ's.   If you lived closer I'd try to help you out, but I don't think you want to drive to N.D. & I'm not taking my reloading room on the road anytime soon.  I'd just keep trying any of your local online swap sites or gun clubs & hope someone takes you up.  It's a bad time to try & get into reloading especially for components.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
the one reloader that actually responded to me quoted $1,900 for 500 rounds
View Quote

It is a giant leap of faith to trust another person's handloads at any money.  My brother is the only person I would trust and I roll my own.  I would expect similar scrutiny
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It is a giant leap of faith to trust another person's handloads at any money.  My brother is the only person I would trust and I roll my own.  I would expect similar scrutiny
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
the one reloader that actually responded to me quoted $1,900 for 500 rounds

I wish you luck.  But, I'm with @s4s4u on trusting another person's loads.  Beyond that, there's a lot that could change to make the loads not work right in your rifle/pistol/aow/sbr such as: barrel length, twist rate, buffer weight, gas system.  It's always better to develop on the gun in question.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Thing is though, I'd already found one reloader in Dallas around August 2020 who sold me some awesome reloads. 100 rounds of Norma brass, 78gr Lehighs for $165. Every last round was safe and consistent. The guy was on point. Unfortunately he's now nigh on impossible to get ahold of, presumably because of the covid-related panic increasing his workload to unreasonable levels. I just wish I could find someone like him.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/288191/300_AAC_BLK_Cases_good___bad_4_trimming_-1915063.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7AfHB5LQVE
View Quote

Most use LC cases to convert. I've haven't converted any cases, but bought plenty of LC converted and 300blk head stamp cases.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
This seems like the place to ask. Ive just finished my reloading setup. Ill get thst jig tonight and the mini saw tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm struggling to get #41 primers but other than that I'm set. Im building my 300blk out upper this week. Ive got the Seekins gas block with the tab so its adjustable on the fly. I was thinking of setting my minimum gas setting as being able to reliably cycle 110 grain supersonic suppressed rounds. Then I could throw the switch over for more gas for unsuppressed supers, and even more gas for suppressed subs. I dont think having the ability to run unsuppressed subs is all that important. Has anyone set up one of these for something like this? Am I on the right track? So my minimum setting on my gas block would be suppressed supers and I could only add gas from there.
Since I'll probably have to load my own, I'm guessing I'll have to do load development at about the same time? If anyone has any words of wisdom or experience tackling this, I would be very appreciative. I was thinking of starting with commonly preferred loads. 110 grain vmax and Barnes Tac-X and 200 grain SMK using CFE BLK for both subs and supers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/dsW-Yhg4k/IMG-0999.jpg
View Quote

OSS design reportedly doesn’t suppress subsonic 300 Blackout very well, but recent tests show it does well with both suppression and back pressure on .308. Check out Pew Science latest review.  I would guess Blackout supers would be a good fit for it.  With Blackout subs a little back pressure from the suppressor can be helpful.

ETA: comments on OSS performance with Blackout subs in bottom half of this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/OSS-HX-QD-762-Quieter-Than-Sandman-S/20-524423/
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This seems like the place to ask. Ive just finished my reloading setup. Ill get thst jig tonight and the mini saw tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm struggling to get #41 primers but other than that I'm set. Im building my 300blk out upper this week. Ive got the Seekins gas block with the tab so its adjustable on the fly. I was thinking of setting my minimum gas setting as being able to reliably cycle 110 grain supersonic suppressed rounds. Then I could throw the switch over for more gas for unsuppressed supers, and even more gas for suppressed subs. I dont think having the ability to run unsuppressed subs is all that important. Has anyone set up one of these for something like this? Am I on the right track? So my minimum setting on my gas block would be suppressed supers and I could only add gas from there.
Since I'll probably have to load my own, I'm guessing I'll have to do load development at about the same time? If anyone has any words of wisdom or experience tackling this, I would be very appreciative. I was thinking of starting with commonly preferred loads. 110 grain vmax and Barnes Tac-X and 200 grain SMK using CFE BLK for both subs and supers.
View Quote

I generally don’t bother with adjustable gas on 300 Blackout. A proper gas port size on an 8-9” barrel should function in all 4 modes (super/sub, loud/suppressed).  But if you are left handed, or running a shorter barrel, then choking off the suppressed supers is where tuning might be useful.  Unsuppressed subs could have issues there.  Shooting subs unsuppressed is somewhat pointless, but some people want full functionality without adjustment. I like turning gas down completely with suppressed subs on the one adjustable gas upper I built on a side cocker. It makes for a fun straight pull bolt action and really shows how quiet suppressed Blackout can be.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This seems like the place to ask. Ive just finished my reloading setup. Ill get thst jig tonight and the mini saw tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm struggling to get #41 primers but other than that I'm set.
View Quote

In this climate I wouldn't try to hold out for #41 primers only, any SRP you can find at anything resembling a decent price you should snatch up.  Also there is this.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Super-Vel-Ammunition-Tests-small-pistol-magnum-rifle-primer/42-520155/?

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In this climate I wouldn't try to hold out for #41 primers only, any SRP you can find at anything resembling a decent price you should snatch up.  Also there is this.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Super-Vel-Ammunition-Tests-small-pistol-magnum-rifle-primer/42-520155/?

View Quote

Been using SR primers in 9mm for some time, ever since the great primer shortage post Sandy Hook.  Now the shoe is on the other foot, as like most I have a short supply of SR primers but quite a few SP Magnum primers left over from my 357 days.  I was wondering if they would be okay in the 300 since I'd be using magnum pistol powder.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#21]
If they're CCI and you're comparing 400 to 550, there is actually no difference.  Confirmed with tech from CCI.  They have the same dimensions, thickness, and measure of priming compound.

Magnum primers don't generally use more compound, they only have a thicker cup to handle the pressures.  This may not be true of all manufacturers, and you should always start low and work up new loads when switching components.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A question for the group. What are your recommendations for magazines?
View Quote

I've got a few Lancer 20rd and Magpul 30rd 300BLK mags.

Both have been 100% with subs and supers.

20rd Lancer
No affiliation with these guys but they shipped super fast and have the smoke mags in stock.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A question for the group. What are your recommendations for magazines?
View Quote

I will second the .300 BLK Lancers. They function perfectly in everything I have you tried them in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#25]
My 300 Blackout
IMG_0338 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
Well its not quite complete yet
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top