BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone with a weight on the BA 20” barrel?

I have the CMMG in order, but if the weight is comparable (2#4oz), I would cancel it and order from Brownells.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone with a weight on the BA 20” barrel?

I have the CMMG in order, but if the weight is comparable (2#4oz), I would cancel it and order from Brownells.
View Quote

I had/ still have a back order from cmmg. They won’t return calls or emails to cancel it. They told me 15+ week backorder for the barrel that was in stock when I ordered. Get one somewhere else. Their customer service is trash.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I had/ still have a back order from cmmg. They won’t return calls or emails to cancel it. They told me 15+ week backorder for the barrel that was in stock when I ordered. Get one somewhere else. Their customer service is trash.
View Quote

Thank you for the heads up.

BA barrel in bound.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well I put it against my 223 20” Larue upper. Did slightly better at 100 yards but that’s because I was shooting wolf gold. That larue will stack rounds at 100 yards with 75gr match. Now I need to take it to distance. I can hit 1000 yards with this 223 setup. Seems the gas block was leaking a bit too but I did not have any issues with it cycling suppressed and non suppressed. It was a cheap block.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/AEDC93AB-00A0-4679-9F5E-8089B2927C52_jpe-1716491.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/D2B0821D-36BB-4B8B-B5E1-E1762FAA0000_jpe-1716492.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/5FE4D7F2-4C8F-4A0E-8505-029BBE2908E8_jpe-1716493.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/05C5DBBD-132A-44D5-BAF8-6D2FE9987A6E_jpe-1716494.JPG
View Quote

Looks like you're off to a great start.

I still need to decide on the handguard, leaning towards SLR, a GB, also leaning towards an adjustable SLR, a gas tube and YHM QD brake. You're making me want to rush my build... but w/o brass to load I'm dead in the water, not paying stupid prices for factory ammo. (yes, I did...)
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I still need to decide on the handguard, leaning towards SLR, a GB, also leaning towards an adjustable SLR, a gas tube and YHM QD brake. You're making me want to rush my build... but w/o brass to load I'm dead in the water, not paying stupid prices for factory ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I put it against my 223 20” Larue upper. Did slightly better at 100 yards but that’s because I was shooting wolf gold. That larue will stack rounds at 100 yards with 75gr match. Now I need to take it to distance. I can hit 1000 yards with this 223 setup. Seems the gas block was leaking a bit too but I did not have any issues with it cycling suppressed and non suppressed. It was a cheap block.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/AEDC93AB-00A0-4679-9F5E-8089B2927C52_jpe-1716491.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/D2B0821D-36BB-4B8B-B5E1-E1762FAA0000_jpe-1716492.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/5FE4D7F2-4C8F-4A0E-8505-029BBE2908E8_jpe-1716493.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/05C5DBBD-132A-44D5-BAF8-6D2FE9987A6E_jpe-1716494.JPG

I still need to decide on the handguard, leaning towards SLR, a GB, also leaning towards an adjustable SLR, a gas tube and YHM QD brake. You're making me want to rush my build... but w/o brass to load I'm dead in the water, not paying stupid prices for factory ammo.

I’m finding two types of hornady March ammo for $1 a round. Not to bad with all what’s going on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Well shoot, I'd like to convert one of my rifles to one. What bolt and will there be a 16" at all in the works? Reliable magazines of at least 20 round in capacity?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well shoot, I'd like to convert one of my rifles to one. What bolt and will there be a 16" at all in the works? Reliable magazines of at least 20 round in capacity?
View Quote

Bought a 6.5 grendel bcg from brownells and these two mags. 17 and 24 round mags. I also tried a 30 round pmag for fun today and it cycled perfect but I only put 20 round box though the pmag.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been shooting this platform since the end of June... so about six months now. I have three of them 2 of them are 18" one is a match grade barrel, and the third is a 20" built into an A2 style rifle. You might as well buy the loaded ammo, because by the time you buy the brass (if you can find it), buy bullets, powder, primers and spend the time to load it. You will have more money into it. Granted better ammo maybe. But if you buy loaded ammo, fire it, now you have once fire brass that fits your chamber, then load it, you will be ahead of the game. And if you have any problems you at least used factory loaded ammo, that's the first thing someone is going to ask you.

I bought all my loading components pre panic, and have done some extensive load development, alot of is not even in any load manuals. All three of my rifles shoot sub MOA, with the match barrel shooting .3 MOA. And these things can really reach out, and they have some hitting power behind them.

It cost me about .35 per round to load, but like I said pre panic prices.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have been shooting this platform since the end of June... so about six months now. I have three of them 2 of them are 18" one is a match grade barrel, and the third is a 20" built into an A2 style rifle. You might as well buy the loaded ammo, because by the time you buy the brass (if you can find it), buy bullets, powder, primers and spend the time to load it. You will have more money into it. Granted better ammo maybe. But if you buy loaded ammo, fire it, now you have once fire brass that fits your chamber, then load it, you will be ahead of the game. And if you have any problems you at least used factory loaded ammo, that's the first thing someone is going to ask you.

I bought all my loading components pre panic, and have done some extensive load development, alot of is not even in any load manuals. All three of my rifles shoot sub MOA, with the match barrel shooting .3 MOA. And these things can really reach out, and they have some hitting power behind them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell us more about your long range time with these rifles. I’m really looking forward to trying to stretch it out. Any factory loading work better at range? I won’t be reloading this any time soon
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Dino11 you're probably right...

I already have powder, primers, and lots of various 6mm bullets, just waiting on brass.

Well, if I have the upper together before the brass arrives I know I will lack the discipline NOT to grab a 200 round case of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
EDIT
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I panic bought two cases of 200. There goes my barrel, bolt, and mags money. One case to brass harvest and learn the round, the other case for end of days.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hornady-match-6mm-arc-ammo-108-grain-eld-match-81608-p-111002.aspx
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I regularly shoot the 600 yard rang. The factory ammo is OK but not as good as the stuff I load by a far stretch.

Their is not much differance between the Hornady 105 and the 108 until you try to hit stuff 700-800 yards. Beyond 700 and you want the 108's. These are high BC bullets and the wind effects very little, and they carry velocity a lot further down range. I have loaded everything from 85 gn to 108 and have become partial to the 105 gn bullets. But I load the Nosler 105 RDF's and they are better at distance than the 108 Hornady.

The Nosler 105 RDF has a BC of 571, thats better than the heavier Hornady 108's

Below is a pic of Hornady 105 on the left and the sleeker Nosler on the right.

" />

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brownells/BA barrel's offered a 16", mid length gas(which most seemed to feel rifle length gas is the way to go on this round)
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I panic bought two cases of 200. There goes my barrel, bolt, and mags money. One case to brass harvest and learn the round, the other case for end of days.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hornady-match-6mm-arc-ammo-108-grain-eld-match-81608-p-111002.aspx
View Quote

I didn't want too, but bought a case for the free shipping. Otherwise buying 40 rounds was over 78 bucks after tax and shipping.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I didn't want too, but bought a case for the free shipping. Otherwise buying 40 rounds was over 78 bucks after tax and shipping.
View Quote

Same here, I just ordered a case. At least now I won't have to worry about ammo... things might stay bad for a while. 200 rounds should be more than enough to get the rifle dialed in and supplied for coyote hunting.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I regularly shoot the 600 yard rang. The factory ammo is OK but not as good as the stuff I load by a far stretch.

Their is not much differance between the Hornady 105 and the 108 until you try to hit stuff 700-800 yards. Beyond 700 and you want the 108's. These are high BC bullets and the wind effects very little, and they carry velocity a lot further down range. I have loaded everything from 85 gn to 108 and have become partial to the 105 gn bullets. But I load the Nosler 105 RDF's and they are better at distance than the 108 Hornady.

https://i.imgur.com/XTus63A.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/XTus63A.jpg

And this is a couple 300 yard targets using them.

https://i.imgur.com/2BQWezU.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/2BQWezU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vdfufVv.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/vdfufVv.jpg
View Quote

If the factory stuff is shooting .3moa, how good are your handloads????

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those are the handloads in the second picture, factory in the first, factory stuff shoots about 1 moa in both my Faxon and Odin barrel about .75 moa.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those are the handloads in the second picture, factory in the first, factory stuff shoots about 1 moa in both my Faxon and Odin barrel about .75 moa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  The “factory group” is still close to .3moa if that’s at 300yds as stated.

I’d love to see you complete the MOA challenge.

Edited to be nice.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Ammo arrived, I do have three more boxes coming from a different vendor. I must say it is a neat looking cartridge.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anybody know exactly when Hornady will be releasing their 11th edition, so we can get actual load data for this cartridge?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does anybody know exactly when Hornady will be releasing their 11th edition, so we can get actual load data for this cartridge?
View Quote

https://www.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6mm-arc-gas-58-105gr-data.pdf

https://www.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6mm-arc-bolt.pdf
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Deleted because my response was to an off-topic post.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ammo arrived, I do have three more boxes coming from a different vendor. I must say it is a neat looking cartridge.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/nyVL0A.jpg
View Quote

I ordered the same case. But I ordered from brownells. $1.20 a round. So $240 plus with a $15 off coupon with free shipping. Almost got it from target sport but found it cheaper at brownells
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone shot the latest batches of 105 factory ammo? A local shop has a few cases. Was thinking of picking it up and finalizing my build.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#26]
FedEx finally delivered my case. Only took 2.5 weeks to get here....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FedEx finally delivered my case. Only took 2.5 weeks to get here....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/032F8233-6EA3-41C3-AB1D-4D90CC4832DD_jpe-1739138.JPG
View Quote

Glad you got your ammo... if not for the wife buying everyone under the sun Christmas gifts, including going hog-ass wild on the grand kids, I would have snatched up another case by now.

I got my ASC 6mm ARC magazines in this past week. I've had ZERO issues using ASC magazines, both 5-round and 10-round, in both 6.5G and 6.8 SPC.

The 6mm ARC mags have red followers by the way whereas the 6.8 are grey and 6.5 are blue.

My build might not get done until after the New Year.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Alright here is what my build did today. Hornady 108gr. Bottom is 100 yards and top is 200. Each circle is 1”. I don’t have that fancy app you people have to measure exact holes. Each was five shot group. Shot from bench. Bipod on the front and me just holding the rear.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Just ordered all the necessary parts to convert to 6mm ARC. I early adopt everything
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just ordered all the necessary parts to convert to 6mm ARC. I early adopt everything
View Quote

That why you don't have real night vision?

I'm tempted to get the 6 and probably would have went 6mm vs 6.5 if I was just getting into an alternate caliber AR15. Really though shooting a 107TMK 6.5g is not far behind the 108eld 6mm. Don't see much difference until 6-700m and the gap will probably close the shorter the barrel you use.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That why you don't have real night vision?

View Quote

Bwahahahaha!!!....dick
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I watched the Shooting USA show on the 6mm ARC and it’s on my radar.  I’ve done a little research and it looks promising.  My gun club just bought an adjacent property and is planning to expand our 400 yard range to 700ish.  I’ve been considering a bolt gun in 6.5 Creed, but an AR in 6ARC sounds like even more fun.

Looks like barrels are scarce, and bolts.  Any problems finding brass?  Does anyone make it besides Hornady?  Might be a case where it’s best to just buy factory ammo and save the brass.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I watched the Shooting USA show on the 6mm ARC and it’s on my radar.  I’ve done a little research and it looks promising.  My gun club just bought an adjacent property and is planning to expand our 400 yard range to 700ish.  I’ve been considering a bolt gun in 6.5 Creed, but an AR in 6ARC sounds like even more fun.

Looks like barrels are scarce, and bolts.  Any problems finding brass?  Does anyone make it besides Hornady?  Might be a case where it’s best to just buy factory ammo and save the brass.

View Quote

That’s what I’m doing. Saving the factory brass
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never shoot my Grendel without a brass catcher on it. Most of my brass came from American Gunner and Black Grendel. If the ARC is as easy on brass as the Grendel you can get good life out of your brass.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Brass isn't much of a challenge. Just run Grendel into the ARC die,trim it back and you are GTG.

Greg
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I never shoot my Grendel without a brass catcher on it. Most of my brass came from American Gunner and Black Grendel. If the ARC is as easy on brass as the Grendel you can get good life out of your brass.
View Quote

I just bought ome of the BRASS GOAT brass catchers.  It looks great, but I have not tried it yet.  Hopefully it will prevent me losing any 458 SOCOM  or 300 HAMR brass.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just bought ome of the BRASS GOAT brass catchers.  It looks great, but I have not tried it yet.  Hopefully it will prevent me losing any 458 SOCOM  or 300 HAMR brass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Caldwell with adapters on every AR I have. I even collect my 223, except at a match.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Very interesting round I have a 6x45 and love it would love to push more 6mm I am building a Bergera long range rifle but now I am thinking of doing this. The Bergera is a 6.5 but I love the AR platform please tell me what to do lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm putting together a 6ARC upper today.

For the time being I have a Thread protector on the muzzle.

What Muzzle Break are guys running with this round?

5/8x24 threads on my barrel.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Very interesting round I have a 6x45 and love it would love to push more 6mm I am building a Bergera long range rifle but now I am thinking of doing this. The Bergera is a 6.5 but I love the AR platform please tell me what to do lol
View Quote

Same here... part of my build was to see what else I can do with a 6mm bullet that my 6x45 wont do.

All you need is the barrel and a 6.5G bolt. They now have specific 6mm ARC magazines.

Waiting on my rail and gas tube then I can complete my build... looking forward to seeing what the barrel will do.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Looking at the 6mm ARC specific magazines, there appears to be a noticeable difference with the follower.

Three 6mm ARC magazines with red followers on the right with a 6.5G magazine with blue follower on the left.

Round seems to sit higher in the ARC magazines...

When manually pushing the rounds out/forward, the round feeds freely from the ARC mags but on the 6.5G mag the rim of the neck catches. Probably not enough to cause a malfunction but it hits none the less.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Looking at the 6mm ARC specific magazines, there appears to be a noticeable difference with the follower.

Three 6mm ARC magazines with red followers on the right with a 6.5G magazine with blue follower on the left.
View Quote

Who's the manufacturer of the magazines?

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Who's the manufacturer of the magazines?

View Quote

Those look like the ASC Mags

I have 4 of the Grendel version, and a buddy is sending me the ARC version to compare next time I can get to the range (hopefully this weekend).
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/XTus63A.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/XTus63A.jpg

And this is a couple 300 yard targets using them.

https://i.imgur.com/2BQWezU.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/2BQWezU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vdfufVv.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/vdfufVv.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Those look like the ASC Mags

I have 4 of the Grendel version, and a buddy is sending me the ARC version to compare next time I can get to the range (hopefully this weekend).
View Quote

Yes... ASC, I ordered them direct.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Care to weigh in your expertise?

I'm sure you have shot many more thousands of 6 ARC than what I have hand loaded and sent down range. And I hand load all my ammo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Care to weigh in your expertise?

I'm sure you have shot many more thousands of 6 ARC than what I have hand loaded and sent down range. And I hand load all my ammo.
View Quote

I've competed in many 300yard BR matches and built/own enough bench rest rifles to know that your groups weren't shot at 300 yards from a home built AR using sub $300 barrels. Your second group using your specialized hand loads is .3 moa at 300 yards, wile the factory ammo you used (and claimed didnt shoot to well) is still slightly sub moa.

Utilizing my "expertise" I hypothesize those are cherry picked 100 yard groups... but hey its the internet, so we will never know.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#48]
My 20" BA barrel arrived.  I did a 30 rd break-in using factory 105 and 108 grain ammo and also started some load development.  So far not overly impressed with the accuracy of this barrel.  It does not care for the factory 105 BTHP, shooting it around 2-3 moa give or take.  The 108 gr match ammo does better at 1-1.5 moa.

With the rifle length gas system the functioning has been perfect.  Brass goes 3-4 o'clock.

Handloads are meh.  Bullets I have on hand are the Nosler 105 gr RDF and the Sierra 107 gr HPBT.  Powders LeverEvolution and CFE223.  The barrel does not like the RDF, 2-3 MOA.  The Sierra will do better, 1.5 MOA.  I'll keep working at it but I have a feeling I'll eventually be spending the money on a higher grade barrel if I want better accuracy.  Maybe I'll put a Proof Research barrel on order.  My Proof Research 6.5 Grendel will shoot almost anything MOA or better.

Oh, velocity from the Hornady 105 gr BTHP was 2633 fps.  The Hornady 108 gr ELD went 2585 fps.  This was on a 40 degree day.

I didn't bother taking pictures of the targets but here's the gun.  Cheers!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My 20" BA barrel arrived.  I did a 30 rd break-in using factory 105 and 108 grain ammo and also started some load development.  So far not overly impressed with the accuracy of this barrel.  It does not care for the factory 105 BTHP, shooting it around 2-3 moa give or take.  The 108 gr match ammo does better at 1-1.5 moa.

With the rifle length gas system the functioning has been perfect.  Brass goes 3-4 o'clock.

Handloads are meh.  Bullets I have on hand are the Nosler 105 gr RDF and the Sierra 107 gr HPBT.  Powders LeverEvolution and CFE223.  The barrel does not like the RDF, 2-3 MOA.  The Sierra will do better, 1.5 MOA.  I'll keep working at it but I have a feeling I'll eventually be spending the money on a higher grade barrel if I want better accuracy.  Maybe I'll put a Proof Research barrel on order.  My Proof Research 6.5 Grendel will shoot almost anything MOA or better.

Oh, velocity from the Hornady 105 gr BTHP was 2633 fps.  The Hornady 108 gr ELD went 2585 fps.  This was on a 40 degree day.

I didn't bother taking pictures of the targets but here's the gun.  Cheers!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45352/20201209_110248__Medium__jpg-1776137.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for the post... yep, even though BA barrels are "budget", I would have expected better consistent performance than 3".

I have had recent bad experiences with BA barrels in .223, the 6.5G and .308 barrels I have are good shooters so I rolled the dice grabbing one of their 6mm ARC barrels... I hope after all I've spent getting set up I can at least a solid 1.5" set up going. I night hunt out to 300 yards max and 1.5" will be adequate.

I'm interested in lighter bullets, 90-70 gr range and I hope my barrel shoots them well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#50]
@cb4017  .. What is the twist of your barrel?
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top