Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm glad the platform will likely be resurrected at some point. I still think it would sell better as a Remington product.
View Quote

If PSA is still the winning bidder at the end, I agree the G2 will be resuscitated. Seriously, the G2 is the only reason for an AR company to buy up DPMS for the G2 tech data, patents and copyrights, etc. Can't think of anything else DPMS was making that others were not.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I have an extra bolt- 6 barrels- 243, 260, and 3-308. I have extra firing pins.

I just need an extra cam pin. What can I do?

I want this thing to run for a long time. Does not seem to be much else out there I would need to make it work unless my BCG just breaks in half.

Is there any thing else I should stock up that I would need to make the G2 run till I shoot those barrels out?
View Quote

Not really. You should be good.

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I have an extra bolt- 6 barrels- 243, 260, and 3-308. I have extra firing pins.

I just need an extra cam pin. What can I do?

I want this thing to run for a long time. Does not seem to be much else out there I would need to make it work unless my BCG just breaks in half.

Is there any thing else I should stock up that I would need to make the G2 run till I shoot those barrels out?

So does anyone know where to get another cam pin?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
In another thread, it was mentioned the G2 24" bull bbl is overgassed.  Definitely was my experience.  Put on an Odin adjustable gas block, closed it all the way and it still cycles suppressed!  I understand the effects of suppression but still surprised.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#5]
All of my barrels were over gassed an adjustable was a godsend.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In another thread, it was mentioned the G2 24" bull bbl is overgassed.  Definitely was my experience.  Put on an Odin adjustable gas block, closed it all the way and it still cycles suppressed!  I understand the effects of suppression but still surprised.
View Quote

It was not ported to be shot suppressed as it was not made with a threaded muzzle.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It was not ported to be shot suppressed as it was not made with a threaded muzzle.
View Quote

It is overgassed even unsuppressed
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
DPMS made the GII ports large and the gas lengths short to ensure reliable operation in military testing. They were going for .mil/LEO contracts.  Civies who don't plan on operating in Antarctica one day, and the Sahara the next should get an adjustable gas block
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Even my Rainier 18" ultramatch gen 2 spec barrel was way overgassed with a tight chamber. I had to get their proprietary .800 adjustable gas block made by superlative arms. I have only turned it out 8 clicks out of 30 and it still runs hardly open like that.

Unfortunately the best group I can get with it so far with 4 different bullets and 3 different powders is .977 to 1.009" at 100.  Not bad I know but my BCM KD4 18" will do .435" been trying all summer to get the G2 with the Rainier there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PSA makes a version of it as well.  

The PX-10
View Quote

My PX10 works 100% with magpul mags.

I rebuilt it into a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle with a Criterion by Craddock barrel,, and its stinking awesome for run and gun events

Needed an extra heavy buffer but other than that its great.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I run my factory barrels with the stock gas block and a very heavy buffer and my Rainer barrels I use their adjustable .800 gas block. I tried adjustable gas blocks on the stock factory barrels and yes 243 and 260 even closed down still cycled. They are crazy over gassed.

Also my Rainer barrels are no more accurate then my factory barrels in fact till I seasoned my Rainer barrels it was worse then factory and I complained to them but after some time it cleared up.

Also I suppress my G2 all the time 243 and 260 and have no issues. So if you are saying you shouldn’t shoot it suppressed that’s ridiculous.

I know PSA makes the PX-10 do you guys think the cam pin would work if I called and begged them to sell me one?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
i'd love to find a spare upper receiver, BCG, and charging handle if anyone has any ideas :)
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I run my factory barrels with the stock gas block and a very heavy buffer and my Rainer barrels I use their adjustable .800 gas block. I tried adjustable gas blocks on the stock factory barrels and yes 243 and 260 even closed down still cycled. They are crazy over gassed.

Also my Rainer barrels are no more accurate then my factory barrels in fact till I seasoned my Rainer barrels it was worse then factory and I complained to them but after some time it cleared up.

Also I suppress my G2 all the time 243 and 260 and have no issues. So if you are saying you shouldn’t shoot it suppressed that’s ridiculous.

I know PSA makes the PX-10 do you guys think the cam pin would work if I called and begged them to sell me one?
View Quote

I have about 490 on my Rainier barrel and I still can't get it to group under 1moa at 100. Tried all kinds of factory and handloads all summer long.

How long did yours take to get seasoned? I'm about ready to give up and just throw a RDS on it, and take the new unfired spare Rainier off EE i have for sale and send it back.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Great quote!

I think that I have a spare charging handle for the DPMS G-2 in .308. It’s most likely a PRI Gas Buster though. I’m not sure, but I can check tomorrow if you’re still looking.

Robin
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i'd love to find a spare upper receiver, BCG, and charging handle if anyone has any ideas :)
View Quote

Radian makes the Raptor ambi charging handle sized for the G2. I have one and it works well. Just make sure you get the right size, as the AR-10, AR-15, and G2 handles are all different lengths.

There's also another company that makes a bolt sized for the G2. I don't recall if they make a carrier as well. I couldn't find a spare G2 bolt/BCG, so I bought their bolt as a spare (fits the G2 carrier). Their bolt does NOT have the dual ejector design, nor does it use the proprietary 'tactical skittle' for the extractor.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It’s took 300 rounds to season it but I went back to my hunter that’s been cut and threaded to 18”.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It’s took 300 rounds to season it but I went back to my hunter that’s been cut and threaded to 18”.
View Quote

Thanks, I'm thinking the Rainier is giving me all it's got now. Dammit I wish I kept my hunter barrel

Going back out today to test some loads that were starting to look like they had some potential and already sending back the new spare barrel.

Thank you Rainier CS. Top notch!

I know it could have been different with the second barrel but I'm burnt out on this one as it is.

Ordering a new custom cut from Bartlein tonight.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ordering a new custom cut from Bartlein tonight.

View Quote

What's that running you?  Do they offer a 6.5cm with +2 gas?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I was a huge fan of the G2 and owned three of them.  I had two of the Recon's and I had ADCO reprofile the barrels to shave off a bunch of weight.  Then I added new hand guards.  The third was a LW Hunter that I had ADCO cut down to 18" and it too got a new hand guard.

When DPMS went under, I sold all three of them.  It wasn't long before I jumped into POF small frames.  With POF releasing the Rogue earlier this year, I think the G2 is pointless.  You can get a Rogue for around $1,600 and it's a much, much better gun that doesn't need any work to it out of the box.  By the time I got my G2's to where I liked them, I had at least $1,600 into them and they still weren't as good as the Rogue.  The torture test done on the POF online are extremely impressive too.  So, I would argue even if PSA revives the G2, I think the Rogue has killed it.  I should add, the Rogue weighs 6 lbs!  Stick a fork in the G2 IMO.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was a huge fan of the G2 and owned three of them.  I had two of the Recon's and I had ADCO reprofile the barrels to shave off a bunch of weight.  Then I added new hand guards.  The third was a LW Hunter that I had ADCO cut down to 18" and it too got a new hand guard.

When DPMS went under, I sold all three of them.  It wasn't long before I jumped into POF small frames.  With POF releasing the Rogue earlier this year, I think the G2 is pointless.  You can get a Rogue for around $1,600 and it's a much, much better gun that doesn't need any work to it out of the box.  By the time I got my G2's to where I liked them, I had at least $1,600 into them and they still weren't as good as the Rogue.  The torture test done on the POF online are extremely impressive too.  So, I would argue even if PSA revives the G2, I think the Rogue has killed it.  I should add, the Rogue weighs 6 lbs!  Stick a fork in the G2 IMO.
View Quote

Your Rogue has no issues? I kept away due to reports of early teething issues, otherwise I would have been an early adopter..although I think paying POF to put an adjustable gas block on it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting. I've never even seen one. I'll have to check one out.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Your Rogue has no issues? I kept away due to reports of early teething issues, otherwise I would have been an early adopter..although I think paying POF to put an adjustable gas block on it would be worth it.
View Quote

No probs with mine.  What teething issues are you referring to?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's going to run me just under 700 I think.

Yes I think they do offer a 6.5 with +2 gas.

I'm still not sure I want to spend $700 for a barrel for this rifle with no more support for parts for it. I know I can get at least a bolt for it as I have a spare of the older first run bolts that were cratering primers due to a small bevel in the edge of the firing pin hole in the bolt face,but that's it. I started a whole thread on it in the troubleshooting section.

Douchebag remington charged me $150 for a new updated bolt when they were supposed to send it at no charge I later found out from one of there other reps.

The ironic thing is I went out yesterday and was getting .859 groups with 175gr blem smk's now, go figure? I was able to do more than once also. I think the barrel may be settling in now? 550rds to settle in it seems.

SS barrels are good to what? 2500-3000 rds before they burn out?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No probs with mine.  What teething issues are you referring to?
View Quote

Good to hear! The first posts I saw had some negative feedback (machine marks, needing to be sent back for correcting..I forget the details). Coulda just been a few that slipped through QC rather than indicative of the majority of them...but it kept me from being an early adopter.
I'd rather buy the Rogue than DIY (if I DIY it'll go all in $2200+ which I'd rather not)
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Depends on the round and whether you are running hot balls to the walls loads thru it.  Using 'normal' SAMMI spec loads, a barrel should be good from 10,000-15,000 rounds.

Quoted:

I'm still not sure I want to spend $700 for a barrel for this rifle with no more support for parts for it. I know I can get at least a bolt for it as I have a spare of the older first run bolts that were cratering primers due to a small bevel in the edge of the firing pin hole in the bolt face,but that's it. I started a whole thread on it in the troubleshooting section.

Douchebag remington charged me $150 for a new updated bolt when they were supposed to send it at no charge I later found out from one of there other reps.

The ironic thing is I went out yesterday and was getting .859 groups with 175gr blem smk's now, go figure? I was able to do more than once also. I think the barrel may be settling in now? 550rds to settle in it seems.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I like that number much better.

Not running too hot. 175 are 2385-95 fps and the 155 were around 2400. Very light ejector swipes. Just shinny. The chamber on this Rainier barrel is a little tight so I have to run everything around medium charge, not even close to book max 90% of the time.

Quoted:
Depends on the round and whether you are running hot balls to the walls loads thru it.  Using 'normal' SAMMI spec loads, a barrel should be good from 10,000-15,000 rounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

No issues at all.  I have two Rogues and one Revolution DI.  All three have been great.

I’m jonesing for 6.5 creedmor DI.  I’d love to see them bring 6.5 to the Rogue.

I prefer the Rogues to the Revolution DI.  I like the bolt lock on the Revolution, but I don’t need the ambi controls and like the fact that the Rogue weighs a pound less.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good to hear! The first posts I saw had some negative feedback (machine marks, needing to be sent back for correcting..I forget the details). Coulda just been a few that slipped through QC rather than indicative of the majority of them...but it kept me from being an early adopter.
I'd rather buy the Rogue than DIY (if I DIY it'll go all in $2200+ which I'd rather not)
View Quote

Agreed, like my Rogue a lot
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#29]
So has anyone experienced a short chamber with a GII?

I have a 20" fluted 308 barrel I bought off the EE here and none of my 3 bolts will close on it with a round in the chamber.

With DPMS gone I see no recourse but for me to cut the chamber deeper.

Not really a big deal, I was just curious if anyone else has run into this.

I was thinking maybe the bolt face depth spec may have changed at some time in production or development at Remington/DPMS. Could be an early barrel or something. I've seen lots of small differences in GII components from different time periods.

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:59:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Just buy one of the cheap extra barrels that are out there. 260 rem and 243 and I think there are some 308 left too.

Does anyone have ideas for getting an extra cam pin?

I bought the extra Adams Arms bolt and firing pin- the gas rings will fit right on the Adams bolt for DI since it's piston?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Gas ringswill fit on AA bolt. I would just get their cam pin.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Gas ringswill fit on AA bolt. I would just get their cam pin.
View Quote

The AA cam pin will not fit the DPMS carrier without modification. I had one.

The cam for the DPMS has a flat side and can only go in that way where the AA is round and will not clear the gas key.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Forgot to add that I got it from Craddock Precision. Was $689 with the inter-med gas tube and bead blast.

Craddock is now has them on sale $720 with $50 off I paid $675 regular price a week ago+14 for the tube and they weren't on sale at the time. WTF Craddock?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good to know, thanks.
View Quote

I'm thinking a getting the AA just to have a spare and use with the craddock/Bartlein barrel so I can start with a new bolt.

The DPMS cam pin will fit the AA bolt, but I am considering filing a flat spot on the AA cam to have a spare. AA was supposed to have a DI carrier by now but nothing on the sight. They told over the summer it would be out in "late fall" when I emailed them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Are you saying you can mill a flat spot on the AA cam pin and it will work?

Otherwise, I have extra bolts just no extra cam pins since AA pin won't work by itself.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are you saying you can mill a flat spot on the AA cam pin and it will work?

Otherwise, I have extra bolts just no extra cam pins since AA pin won't work by itself.
View Quote

That's what I am thinking about doing when I get another AA bolt for a spare.

It would not get by the carrier key where it gets to a T at the top. It's round so I would think you could mil the flat anywhere toward to top half of the pin. Notice the G2 cam pin has a flat on 2 sides otherwise it would not clear the key on the way into the cam hole.

Once in you may have to turn it until the FP hole lines up so it the FP will go through it, but I'm thinking that would be no big deal.

I don't have one right now to try because I sold off all my spare parts thinking I was going to trade in my G2 when Remington went under.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No issues at all.  I have two Rogues and one Revolution DI.  All three have been great.

I’m jonesing for 6.5 creedmor DI.  I’d love to see them bring 6.5 to the Rogue.

I prefer the Rogues to the Revolution DI.  I like the bolt lock on the Revolution, but I don’t need the ambi controls and like the fact that the Rogue weighs a pound less.
View Quote

The coming Prescott might be what you want.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Palmetto State Armory bought DPMS, so it all depends on if the intellectual property of the GII went with the DPMS name, or if the GII got left with Remington.

Haven't heard anything from PSA.

@PalmettoStateArmory
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Does anyone have prints of the G2's upper and lower?  Haven't been able to find any.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Adams Arms has P2 rifles in stock.
View Quote
are they compatible with DPMS G2 (uppers and lowers)?
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#44]
I assume so, they licensed the pattern from DPMS
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I was really hoping AA would of made a compatible BCG by now.  Their bolt will fit and function but the cam pin won’t unless u mill a flat spot so it can go past the carrier key.

FA was also supposed to have one out by summer they told me but nothing so far.

Luckily I don’t need any yet but when it’s time to replace the barrel I would at least need a new bolt.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure about that?
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Are you sure about that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure about that?

Check out the PA industry forum.

They mentioned something about it there. Can’t remember what  though.

I’ll check myself when time permits.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone have a lead on takedown pins for the G2? I've broken one and struggling to find them. Also broke a bolt lug right next to extractor(F4 defense BCG). Luckily I have my factory bolt as well. I would love an extra bolt and takedown pins if anyone has a source.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone have a lead on takedown pins for the G2? I've broken one and struggling to find them. Also broke a bolt lug right next to extractor(F4 defense BCG). Luckily I have my factory bolt as well. I would love an extra bolt and takedown pins if anyone has a source.
View Quote

I think the takedown pin is AR but the pivot pin is G2 according to the chart?

Attachment Attached File

From the chart it looks like you might be able to get an AR/LAR308 pivot and an AR15 take down pin. No sure?

Also where in the world did you acquire an F4 defense BCG? I have been trying to get one for a couple of years now to have as a spare for my G2 and they told me there would be this summer.

Adams Arms makes just a bolt that will fit the G2 but they still have no carrier.

With PSA maybe doing a G2 308 platform now maybe someday there will be parts again. Not sure how all that is going to pan out though?

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I’m looking for some help with a G2 my buddy bought off gunbroker.

The rifle is having problems ejecting the spent casing. It typically jams with the fired casing still in the upper but backwards while trying to load the next round from the magazine.

I started disassembling the rifle and checking parts for issues and found that one ejector was noticeably weaker than the other. I took the ejectors out of the bolt body and found that the ejector springs are different. One is shorter, has a goldish tint and is not ground flat on the ends.

According to the chart the ejector spring is specific to the G2. I know parts are pretty hard to find for these, but does anyone know where we could find an ejector spring or two?

If none are available does anyone have dimensions of the ejector spring? I’m thinking maybe we could shim the short spring somehow or cut a coil off the longer spring but right now I don’t even know which one is the correct spring.

Page / 15
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top