Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2017 7:00:39 PM EDT
well i pulled the trigger on one of these barrels.im going to do a pistol build with a maxim brace.question is,i see the barrel comes with a pinned gas block.should i try to gas block that comes on there or swap it out with a seekins adj i have?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
well i pulled the trigger on one of these barrels.im going to do a pistol build with a maxim brace.question is,i see the barrel comes with a pinned gas block.should i try to gas block that comes on there or swap it out with a seekins adj i have?
View Quote

Leave it and use an adjustable carrier or key.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a BA Hanson barrel with pinned block. Be aware that even with the pin the block was able to rotate a bit, so make sure it's lined up correctly and use the set screws it comes with in a baggie.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.....any particular brand?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Gemtech makes one people use.  I think Innovative Arms makes one too.

If you feel okay working on your own AR, I like the adjustable gas blocks and they are cheaper than the BCGs for suppressors that run around $250.  I like to be able to tune my weapon to my suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#5]
as much as i prefer a pinned gas block,i think im gonna take it off and use the adj i have.this way im not out of any additional money.i have heard that the ba barrels are a little over gassed,so i dont want to fight that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
as much as i prefer a pinned gas block,i think im gonna take it off and use the adj i have.this way im not out of any additional money.i have heard that the ba barrels are a little over gassed,so i dont want to fight that.
View Quote
That was not my experience with the one I had.  If you plan to use a suppressor maybe, but I actually opened up the gas port on mine one or two numbered drill bit sizes. It probably would have ran fine with a standard carbine buffer and normal BCG, but all I had was an H2 buffer and heavy national match BCG in my pistol.

I shot it of course before I changed the port size, but got out the drill when it short stroked with 2 different types of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
You should really look into the Bootleg carrier, it has 4 adjustments on the carrier. I have the Gemtech and sentry GB also (all on different guns), but I much prefer the Bootleg . You can usually catch them on sale at Dvor for $160ish.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
BA stated the 12.5's are tight in regards to the gas port as they know a majority of owners will be shooting suppressed.

Carbine buffer solved my woes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You should really look into the Bootleg carrier, it has 4 adjustments on the carrier. I have the Gemtech and sentry GB also (all on different guns), but I much prefer the Bootleg . You can usually catch them on sale at Dvor for $160ish.
View Quote
I ordered one for my suppressed 5.56 yesterday.  If I like it, I'll grab 2 more for my 6.5G builds-in-progress.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok,you guys changed my mind..im gonna try it as is first.unfortunatly I'll didn't allow suppressors,so....
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BA stated the 12.5's are tight in regards to the gas port as they know a majority of owners will be shooting suppressed.

Carbine buffer solved my woes.
View Quote
This.  Port size on the 12.5 is supposed to be .0595".  They actually recommend a standard carbine buffer for it.

I tried using an "H" buffer and while I had no issues with 123gr AMAX suppressed, the 100gr steel-cased Wolf wouldn't completely lock the bolt back unsuppressed.  The bolt catch would stop the bolt between the carrier and the lugs on the bolt instead of in front of the bolt.  Add in colder weather, a dirty gun, or less lube and it might not run reliably.

So just use what they recommend which is a standard carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok,you guys changed my mind..im gonna try it as is first.unfortunatly I'll didn't allow suppressors,so....
View Quote
This is the route I take for nearly everything. Give it a shot, literally, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top