Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2017 7:42:18 AM EDT
Quite some time ago, I got the itch for a 7.62X39 AR.  I have always thought highly of the round.  I had one several years ago that utilized those really bizarre-looking AR-style mags that just never quite functioned really reliably, not to mention the fact that mag pouches for the things were next-to-impossible to find.  So after a year or so if tinkering and fiddling, I sold it off.

Then the next breed of 7.62X39 AR’s came along from CMMG, Rock River and PSA.  After studying things a bit, I picked up a PSA lower (‘blemished’ on sale).  From there, I’d been pulling together the pieces for maybe a year.  I got the thing built up early this year.  And FINALLY took the thing out back (I’ve got about 10 acres, affording me my own little range!) for a test drive!

Well, the first thing I discovered it that the thing DOESN’T LIKE poly mags.  ANY poly mag!  MagPul?  Nope!  US Palm?  Nope!  Arsenal?  Nope!  Tapco?  Nope!  None of them fed worth a damn!  Mostly out of annoyance, I grabbed a couple old, original, Warsaw Pact steel mags to see how they behaved.  My new little carbine grazed contentedly out of those old-school Russky mags for the rest of the range session!  From there, things went smoothly!

With a 1-4 Burris MTAC mounted I ran an assortment of ammo through the thing, including Tula Ammo, Wolf, some old Chinese stuff of really dubious pedigree, as well as Winchester white box & Llapua.  Accuracy across the board was really impressive.  Shooting 3-shot groups even the old Chinese stuff did between 2 ½ & 3” at 100 yds.  As the quality of the ammo got better, so did the accuracy.  With the Winchester and the Llapua groups shrunk down to less than 1 ½” at 100 yds.

Switching over to a red dot (Vortex StrikeFire) I went to work on some clay pigeons I had scattered out down range.  Handling of the carbine was light & fast – very comfortable.

All-in-all I am really pleased with the little PSA carbine.  It’ll take a lot more proving before she becomes my go-to 7.62X39 shooter but things are off to a good start.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.   I've kept and eye on the PSA KS-47.  Have a bunch of Metal Warsaw AK mags in storage that I haven't used.

Curious to know if it locks back on the last round?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/275276_PSA-KS47-Official-thread.html
Some good info in tbis thread on whole set up and fixes 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Made it hot...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/PSA-KS47-Official-thread/301-275276/

I am curious what were the plastic mags doing wrong ?... Not fully locking in ? ...Or just not feeding consistently ?
View Quote
Funny thing is mine only works with poly mags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Bigger Hammer wrote: "Curious to know if it locks back on the last round?"

No.  Because of the AK magazine configuration (no provisions for a bolt hold-open) there is no last round bolt lock.  I think that they still could have incorporated a bolt hold-open into the design of the lower receiver though it would not have functioned as a last round bolt lock.  Really the only shortcoming of the design that I have found so far.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Made it hot...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/PSA-KS47-Official-thread/301-275276/

I am curious what were the plastic mags doing wrong ?... Not fully locking in ? ...Or just not feeding consistently ?
View Quote
I'm not completely certain, but I think its the thick feed lips on the poly mags.  Regardless of which brand of poly mag I used, the round would not clear the mag or the bolt would ride over top the round.  And, both the behaviors occurred more-or-less together out of any given mag.  Perhaps the carbine is just new.  I don't know!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Funny thing is mine only works with poly mags.
View Quote
Hey!  Go figure!  At the end of the day, as long as we can both get our shooters to go BANG! regularly, that's pretty much all that matters!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top