Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 10:59:13 PM EDT
Hey.

I decided to say "FUCK OFF" to .gov, and I have a few 80% lowers, jig, etc. now, for fun.  Since I already have a bunch of AR's (5.56 and .300blk), I kind of want to make a 9mm lower, since I have a ton of ammo for that, it's cheap. etc.

I have spent 2 days now surfing the web for a 9mm mag well adapter, what mags to use, etc.

TorkMag. Glock 33 rnd mags.
Hahn Precision, Brownells Colt-style 33 rnd mags.
KAK magwell adapter
Ghost Firearms
ProMag
PSA

Jeebus.  I can't make heads nor tails of the options.  Hivemind, help me!

All I want to do is, economically, since it's really just a range toy, turn one of the 80% lowers into a 9mm, and buy or build an upper for it.  I would love it if I could buy a drop-in adapter, drop it in, and get a bunch of mags for a reasonable price, then buy one of the non-bazillion dollars uppers AND ACTUALLY HAVE THINGS WORK.

What are people having actual success with, when it comes to 9mm in the AR?  I would really rather not have to purchase a bunch of specialized parts, specific ammo, etc.   Like I said, it's just something I want to have work, as a range toy, and not beat my head against the wall trying to get it to function.

Help?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a Hahn back before there was such a thing as a Glock lower/adapter.

If I had a Glock or two or 8, I'd go with a Glock lower/adapter but only have experience (good) with the Hahn.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Without turning this into a Glock thread, I am not a huge fan of the two firearms I own that use Glock mags. I have a G20 and an Aero Survival Rifle, both in 10mm. I have had nothing but problems with both of them. I had to swap the barrel and spring on the G20 to run hard cast bear loads out of it, which was kind of annoying, and the ASR is nothing but an absolute jam-o-matic. I mean, a SERIOUS one. I have tried PPU, Armscor, Sig, HSM, Buffalo Bore, and cramming rocks down the bore with powder, and it jams a LOT.

I noticed that the springs in the Glock mags were so weak, sometimes the last round would just fall out, sliding out past the lips. So, I swapped out 16 of them for the high power springs. Fixed that problem, but the ASR is still a jammer.

I realize millions of users worldwide don't have problems with their Glock products, but I am not a fan.

That said, the easy availability of their mags makes them attractive. I just don't want to have to fiddle around with them endlessly to make them run right.

The Hahn is expensive compared to the other options. But if it works, it works. More limited mag availability though.

The Ghost Guns unit says on their web page "run 124gr ammo." Fiddly. Picky. No.

The Tork (?) requires you to use Glock factory mags (expensive) and cut notches in them. Really?

I saw another one on a FB page, with a video, but all they were showing was how well it retained the mags, by turning it upside down, holding the mag, and shaking. No actual shooting that I recall.

So, I am looking for people with real-world experience to give recommendations for a reliable, non-bank-breaking range toy option.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Plus, it appears that I am stupid.

How did I miss that there is a "Rimfire and Pistol Caliber" forum?

Mods, if this would go better there, could you save me from my own stupidity and move it there?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All I want to do is, economically, since it's really just a range toy, turn one of the 80% lowers into a 9mm, and buy or build an upper for it.
View Quote

as soon as you say cheap (economy class), that rules out the Hahn.

in the realm of Colt-style AR-9's, regardless, continuing on, I have the Hahn dedicated, and it's been issue-free, completely reliable, fits perfect since day 1.  no regrets.

you might also look at Macon Armory for their magwell adapter, and the KAK looks similar to that one.  I don't have any experience with either, but just to expand your scope.

for starters, stick to the Metalform mags.

the feed cone shape on the barrel is a critical factor in performance & reliability, speaking from experience.  The shape of that varies between the 9mm barrel mfrs.  Also, pay attention to muzzle thread standard.  it used to be 1/2-36, although some mfrs are switching to 1/2-28.  this will affect your selection of muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got a Hahn block in mine. I had to make a very small tweak to the ejector because it was rubbing on the bolt. Nothing a pair of pliers and a few minutes couldn’t fix. Been problem free for a few years now.

Edited. I only use Metalform 32 round mags. They’re a bit spendy, but work beautifully.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, so that's two votes for the Hahn and Metalform Mags, with possibilities for KAK and Macon.

So, basically, look for these as economically as I can:

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-32rd-colt-style-magazine-9mm-prod38850.aspx

Brownells also carries these, for quite a bit less.  They don't work?

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-32rd-colt-style-magazine-9mm-prod57092.aspx?avs%7cCapacity_1=33-Round%7c32-Round
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Brownells also carries these, for quite a bit less.  They don't work?
View Quote
the Brownells 32rd 9mm mags I bought are re-branded Metalform, they're GTG.  I think what differentiates the Metalforms/Brownells from the ASC's is the metal follower.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I found the Metalforms for a comparable price, $29.99 each, as opposed to the $27.67 each when order a 3-pack of the Brownells.  So I picked up some of them, and, after reading a bunch of reviews on a few sites, ordered a KAK magwell adapter.  $100.

So, it'll be a slow build, probably a winter project, but at least I am started.

Thanks for the help.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top