Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2017 11:46:14 AM EDT
Thinking of selling off some other guns to get a nice 308 AR.
Needs to be accurate, reliable, and of course, cool.
Preferably one from the better brands.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
PWS MK216 I really liked mine a lot

LMT MWS is pretty solid

You can't beat a GAP-10 probably the most accurate

I'd do a complete Aero Precision M5 in FDE with a Kreiger barrel
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
SR25
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Larue Ultimate Upper Kit. Your choice of 7.62, .260, or 6.5 CM. Hard to beat right now and the option for a $399 TranQuilo suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SR25
View Quote
Depending on OP's budget.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Larue Ultimate Upper Kit. Your choice of 7.62, .260, or 6.5 CM. Hard to beat right now and the option for a $399 TranQuilo suppressor.
View Quote
This really is the option to beat.

You get to configure the build as you want, with all the parts from under the same roof, engineered and actually tested by a competent team to work, with your choice of color finish.

I also just noticed that they offer a DPMS lower compatible option for the upper, but you can order the LaRue billet lower to complete the build separately as well, which is what I would do.

When you want to get a suppressor, this rifle is meant to run with the LaRue Tranquillo, which you can add on for $399.

There isn't anything else like this option on the market.  

LaRue Ultimate 7.62/.250/6.5CM Upper Kit
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Sig 716. Never a single malfunction. Accurate.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got an Armalite DEF10 with a Craddock Precision 14.5" barrel and troy rail. It shoots lights out for under $1500.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Lmt

Accurate
Reliable
Battle proven
Proven company
Mature platform
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Larue Ultimate Upper kit for sure! Then go back and place an order for the lower. It’s a win win.

You’re welcome!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
If funds are no issue:

LMT MWS or KAC SR25 variant

If we want to keep it reasonable

Armalite AR10A
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You get to configure the build as you want, with all the parts from under the same roof, engineered and actually tested by a competent team to work, with your choice of color finish.

I also just noticed that they offer a DPMS lower compatible option for the upper, but you can order the LaRue billet lower to complete the build separately as well, which is what I would do.

When you want to get a suppressor, this rifle is meant to run with the LaRue Tranquillo, which you can add on for $399.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have the bucks, Barrett MRAD with changeable barrels
MRAD
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lmt

Accurate
Reliable
Battle proven
Proven company
Mature platform
View Quote
I have two, a Larue OBR and a LMT MWS, both are outstanding.   Each has their own pros and cons.  The pro for the MWS is fleability, the con is weight, this rifle is a beast.

The Larue is lighter, not by much, does not come with a collapsible stock and try to find spare parts on their website, you can't buy them, i.e. Bolt carrier, Bolt, etc.  

If I had to give one up, would be the OBR.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been through four different major 308 AR companies.  On the early rifles I had to change things out or modify the weapon to make it work or be equipped the way it should be.  

The last company I went through was Knight's Armament.  I've sold the others and now have two SR25's.  They run flawlessly both suppressed and unsuppressed.  They are true battle rifles that that have continued to evolve through their fielding by our military.  From the factory, nothing needs to be to be modified or changed.  The 4.5 lb two stage trigger is excellent and the BUIS or off-set BUIS (model dependent) are my favorite folding sights.  

The ACC has a chrome lined barrel and weights in at only 8.4 lbs or if you prefer the APC  is not chrome lined.  The rifle length gas system makes it the softest shooting 308's I've ever used, which makes for fast follow up shooting.

Everyone has their own flavor, but IMHO you can't go wrong with one of their rifles.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know about Seekins?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt 901
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone know about Seekins?
View Quote
I have a SP10 and like it.  Did some research with the final two between Seekins and DD as a mid level addition to the safe. Though it has competition asthetics it comes out of the box with ambi controls, shoots sub MOA, and has a innovative rail for a killer price point. The brake is obnoxious with a thread nut solution looking for a problem but I don't regret it. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Armalite and be done with the nonsense. The SR25 and LMT don't offer enough over the Armalite to justify the cost for civilians.

Most of us cannot tell the difference in accuracy and consistency between these rifles.

Don't get a Ferrari if you don't know how to drive at 200mph, or else you're looked at as the douche who blows his money to bask in others envy. Which no one really likes that guy, just hang around them in hopes of picking up scraps.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Larue Ultimate Upper kit for sure! Then go back and place an order for the lower. It’s a win win.

You’re welcome!
View Quote
After you get the upper, what is the cost of the lower? Is it stripped/complete?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
How accurate is this Larue barrel?

I've been thinking about a DMR w/ 18" - this fits that bill at a great price but will the accuracy compete with the LMTs?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a colt 901.  It's been 100% reliable. It's a good rifle. But I haven't anything to compair it to .  Wd
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

After you get the upper, what is the cost of the lower? Is it stripped/complete?
View Quote
The 308 lower is $300. It's stripped but the UU kit comes with the LPK, MBT trigger and pretty much everything else you need. You will have a complete rifle after placing an order for 2 different products.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The 308 lower is $300. It's stripped but the UU kit comes with the LPK, MBT trigger and pretty much everything else you need. You will have a complete rifle after placing an order for 2 different products.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that is a super bargain. I see no way to get a better deal than this right here. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wow, that is a super bargain. I see no way to get a better deal than this right here. Thanks for the info.
View Quote
Mine was $1700 for FDE 7.62, shipping, and with two extra mags. The small frame deal is nice too! My Grendel is my go to hunting rifle right now. Perfect for deer, hogs, yotes, or bob cats. If it walks out, it's done. Great suppressed. Can't wait for the large frame though!
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't think you'll get a better gun for the money than the LaRue deal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I was on a budget and just picked one up myself.  

Grabbed at Windham 18” fluted barrel version for $1195 at grab a gun.
I also have a Windham 5.56 with thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction.

You don’t hear about this brand much, but they’re very reliable and a great value.  Accurate as hell too
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was on a budget and just picked one up myself.  

Grabbed at Windham 18” fluted barrel version for $1195 at grab a gun.
I also have a Windham 5.56 with thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction.

You don’t hear about this brand much, but they’re very reliable and a great value.  Accurate as hell too
View Quote
Cause they're the original Bushmaster brand, before bought out by another company. They retained their tools and their staff iirc though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Not all the same staff, but yes, it's the original Bushmaster plant (pre-Remington buyout) in Maine. Remington was never interested in the facility or employees; they just wanted the brand name.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I still like my RRA LAR-8 X-1 rifle.  18" stainless fluted bead blasted and cryo treated barrel - factory guaranteed 1MOA or better (it's better) and runs about $1700 street price.  Only downside of the rifle is it uses FAL magazines.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#30]
It is possible to buy an Armalite AR-10 for $750 right now.

Or.

A complete kit customized to your requirements by LaRue for under $1300. I am surprised by some of the options available. Edit: except lower.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#31]
did the lower get removed from Larue's site?  I have one of the upper builds and then looking at a 7.62 but cannot find the lower...

thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
did the lower get removed from Larue's site?  I have one of the upper builds and then looking at a 7.62 but cannot find the lower...

thanks
View Quote
Once you order the upper, you get a code for the lower last I checked.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#33]
ahhh, that's right, thanks.  I found the e-mail
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#34]
JP makes some awesome ones, but they will run you as much or more as just about anyone else except maybe KAC. One of the lightest 308 ARs though, and it has some nice features like side charging handle. Super accurate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:57:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Anyone have a weight on the LaRue Ultimate upper kit + LaRue lower in 16" .308? Is it sub 9 lbs?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I've a PA10 that I put an A1 buttstock on with a longer heavier buffer and spring.  Six hundred dollars for the original rifle plus the cost of the buffer and spring.  Works well.  As long as the rifle works, and hits what you are aiming at, what more can one ask of it.  Some are expensive, some are relatively cheap, if it works I don't knock it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top