Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2017 7:08:19 PM EDT
Finally got in a range day in for my latest build.

It's a BCA 24" Fluted stainless 1:8, BCA side charger with a BCA bolt and 15" free float, topped with a PA 4-14 x 44 R-Grid. Definitely a budget build

Attachment Attached File

Wolf doesn't agree with this barrel as well as with my 16" AA lite barrel.  That being said, it wasn't completely horrible.

We set up on a rise that gave me a 160 yd shot on our targets. Once I got it sighted in we repainted targets and these were the results.

The target on the left is 12", the one on the right 8".   So I figure the Wolf gives about 4-5" at 160yd out of this barrel.  (didn't have a measuring device with us)

Attachment Attached File

If it hadn't started raining, I would have tried out the Hornady 123 A-max factory.    Maybe next time
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say that would be what you could expect at 160 yards using Wolf ammo.

I have one customer who shot pretty well with a 20" Bear Creek upper he bought from me. It was a 5 shot group at 100 that was right around 1.5" and I think that is a best case scenario for these inexpensive barrels shooting inexpensive ammo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Well my 16" AA plays a lot nicer with the Wolf. Here's a box of it on a 12" X 16" target at approx 420 yds

Attachment Attached File

The true test will be when I try the Hornady 123 A-Max factory through it.  Would have done that if it hadn't starterd
pouring on me
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well my 16" AA plays a lot nicer with the Wolf. Here's a box of it on a 12" X 16" target at approx 420 yds

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117786/WP_20170831_19_52_48_Pro-321277.JPG

The true test will be when I try the Hornady 123 A-Max factory through it.  Would have done that if it hadn't starterd
pouring on me
View Quote
Make sure everything it's torqued to specs.  That doesn't sound right at all. 4.5 moa. I have a JSE surplus upper and I'm getting 1-1.25 moa at 100.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you like that aa lite? How’s the weight? 

Have a 20” Shilen. Thinking about something lighter to shoot some steel. 

Eta: nice looking rig there. Makes me wish I went longer and side charging. 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Make sure everything it's torqued to specs.  That doesn't sound right at all. 4.5 moa. I have a JSE surplus upper and I'm getting 1-1.25 moa at 100.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Torques are in spec. Technically it would be 2.38 - 2.98 MOA at that distance. And looking back at 12" target, those were all me. It looks like more vertical deviation than anything. The
smaller target was a few shots of mine, the rest my brother who wanted to give it a go, might explain the more horizontal deviation on it (I shoot lefty, he shoots right handed)

Quoted:
Pretty damned impressive for a "budget" build... with budget ammo.

For all the "bad" comments I have read... ( NO OFFNESE  to anyone ) I didn't think that combo would work that well.

Have you considered truing the receiver face and Loctite 609 gluing ?

I have always wanted to make a budget build... apply as many of the accuracy tricks as possible ( with budget parts ) and see how one would do.

And on a side note... double check that your gas block is not "bonking" the bipod mounting screws... with a barrel that long, it would be ( IMHO ) worthwhile to check.
Thought about lapping the receiver face, but I don't have the tool, and would need to borrow my brother's reaction rod to pull the barrel again.
The extension was pretty snug going into the receiver, not sure how much wiggle it would have. I just checked the mlok mount and the screws are missing the gas block.

It could be funky barrel harmonics, it is pretty long. Or the fact that it seems it's doing better than some have reported with the Wolf in the BCA barrels.
Next day I get a chance to shoot, I'll run the Hornady 123's through it to see how she does. I think not being in the rain, and able to get a nice prone position will
help a lot.

Quoted:
How do you like that aa lite? How’s the weight? 

Have a 20” Shilen. Thinking about something lighter to shoot some steel. 

Eta: nice looking rig there. Makes me wish I went longer and side charging. 
I love the AA Lite. I put it together on a BCA upper as well (no lapping or anything) used a 15" Aero handguard on it, so not the lightest set up.

Just did a quick weigh in. With the bipod, SWFA 16X + SSALT mount, it's weighing in at 9lbs 3 oz. Not the lightest

Attachment Attached File

Tried to weigh the long one, put my postal scale only goes to 10 lbs
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Update on this.

I put a box of factory 123 Amax through this barrel, this time at 100 yds. put down my shooting mat, and was shooting prone.
I wanted this to shoot spot on, and did everything I could for accuracy.

Unfortunately I was getting the same results as I did with the wolf. about 2.5 + MOA groups

I spoke with a rep at BCA. Even after I explained that I had taken their factory assembled upper and swapped the received upper out for the sidecharger,
he said that my results were unacceptable, and he issued me an RMA label immediately for the barrel.

The plan is, we are swapping the barrel out for a 20" 5-R. I borrowed my brothers reaction rod for the initial assembly, He's out of town, so I ordered
a BEV block that should be here Monday, so I can pull the barrel for shipment. I'll post results when the new barrel gets in and assembled.

What I can say at this point is that their customer service is fantastic.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top