Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2017 8:48:25 PM EDT
bought a cheap one and it won't time properly.

Recommendations on muzzle attachments for my new AR 308?

18" Faxon Fluted BB

thanks

AtotheR
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
bought a cheap one and it won't time properly.

Recommendations on muzzle attachments for my new AR 308?

18" Faxon Fluted BB

thanks

AtotheR
View Quote
Won't time using a crush washer or peel washer?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly I have never done it before with a crush washer so it might work but it needs to go around nearly an entire 360 degrees....

Its sort of like a jerry miculek but with a crush washer and it doesn't have a space to put a wrench on it so I believe they use a metal punch running through the side openings to tighten the brake down on the washer.  I would need to use a punch with a bar over the end to begin to crush the washer....
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Crush washers are designed to let you go nearly 360 degrees around, if needed, so that part of it wouldn't be a problem at least.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I am just going to have to see the best way to leverage the rifle to torque the washer down....will report back later this week.

I am looking at an M4-72 severe duty compensator from Precision Arms if this doesn't work out....anyone have others they would recommend?  I found a real miculek for $60 new.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive never had one that didn't work with the right size washer...however that said
there are so many better ones out there...like self the timing ones.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]
All you need can be found HERE.

FWIW, I put the Precision Armament M4-72 Severe Duty Compensator on my Aero Precision build, and it's a-w-e-s-o-m-e!
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Some options:

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am just going to have to see the best way to leverage the rifle to torque the washer down....will report back later this week.

I am looking at an M4-72 severe duty compensator from Precision Arms if this doesn't work out....anyone have others they would recommend?  I found a real miculek for $60 new.
View Quote
Came here to recommend the PA M4 72....it's a VERY effective brake...and with an 18" the gas blow back may not bother you like it did me with a 16".

Otherwise, what do you mean a "real" Miculek?  The DPMS Miculek for $39 isn't real?  It's a great value and effective, though not as effective as the M472.

Though, if you have more money to blow, I'm also incredibly happy with my Area 419 Hellfire brake

ETA:  And yeah:  Shim kits > crush washers
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Came here to recommend the PA M4 72....it's a VERY effective brake...and with an 18" the gas blow back may not bother you like it did me with a 16".

Otherwise, what do you mean a "real" Miculek?  The DPMS Miculek for $39 isn't real?  It's a great value and effective, though not as effective as the M472.

Though, if you have more money to blow, I'm also incredibly happy with my Area 419 Hellfire brake

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about the Precision Armament EFAB vs the M4-72 for 308?

This thing has a small stock on it and it kicks pretty good so I was thinking more comp than flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What about the Precision Armament EFAB vs the M4-72 for 308?

This thing has a small stock on it and it kicks pretty good so I was thinking more comp than flash hider.
View Quote
Can't speak to the EFAB as I haven't tried it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can't speak to the EFAB as I haven't tried it.
View Quote
I was able to get it timed correctly today.

I am going to try to get more info on the EFAB I saw it produced better results for recoil tests that the m4-72.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#13]
If you don't have (or plan to get) the tools to properly time a muzzle device (you'll need a STRONG vice, barrel blocks, etc), then just get a slim jam nut (MUCH easier to install, as well as uninstall if think you may want to swap out later).

As for Muzzle devices themselves.. I don't have a ton of experience with variations, but can tell you I really like my Strike Industries King Comp and VG6 Gamma.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am going to try to get more info on the EFAB I saw it produced better results for recoil tests that the m4-72.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am heading to the range this week to really check her out!   Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#16]
All I can say is I hate Brakes. Fine for the shooter but hate the sound and the concussion if you are anywhere beside those things. These are gas operated guns and not like shooting .500 Nitro Express or anything. All my rifles use a standard birdcage flash supressor from .223 to .308. Just my preference of course.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
VG6 Gamma 762.

PA M4-72 is my 1st choice.

LANTAC Dragon 308/7.62 seems to go on sale frequently.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I disagree, the most comprehensive test I've seen to date is from TFB, and here are the results.   PA M4-72 performed the best.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I disagree, the most comprehensive test I've seen to date is from TFB, and here are the results.   PA M4-72 performed the best.
View Quote
It appears I was looking at the graph for recoil per dollar in that case you are correct I see the m4-72 outperformed.  I will be picking this one up.  The EFAB was designed to greatly reduce flash though and at 46% vs 64% the decrease in flash may or may not be worth the extra $50.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at the MBM tac-beast. $70 and runs with any of the big name brakes for reducing felt recoil. Down side (as with any of the effective brakes) is that it pounds anyone beside you...but its amazing.
MBM
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#21]
a different set of tests
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/07/muzzle-brakes-recoil-results-for-6mm-6-5mm/

I realize it says for the 6 and 6.5, but some were just 308 brakes used.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Vg6 gamma

Cover your ears
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
a different set of tests
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/07/muzzle-brakes-recoil-results-for-6mm-6-5mm/

I realize it says for the 6 and 6.5, but some were just 308 brakes used.
View Quote
They didn't even run some of the front runners from TFB, it's a shame too, it would have been a fair comparison.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Well its that time when I am in the process of breaking down the upper to replace my gas block with my new SLR sentry 7 adjustable and I get to the part when I am about to remove the old block and suddenly it hits me....I have to remove the muzzle brake and I am without a replacement crush washer.  

Since it was a PITA to get this one on I am now looking to simplify and replace the thing before I go any further.  If I have to order a crush washer I might as well grab the new brake....
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I bit the proverbial bullet and grabbed the Precision Armament .308 M4-72 and a necessary set of accuwashers from brownells.  Crap forgot I should have grabbed my heavy buffer too, maybe its not to late to add it!!!!

I cannot wait to test this sucker out now!
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#26]
If you think your .308 is going to recoil like a 5.56 you are going to be sorely disappointed.

You should always buy shim kits for every caliber you shoot if you plan on adding muzzle devices to them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Ive already put several hundred rounds through it with basic muzzle brake on it so i bet it runs much less heavy with my new block, springco orange and heavy buffer than it did.

Good Luck to you too!
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#28]
PA M4-72 308 installed with PA accuwashers.

Should have done it right the first time, lesson learned.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Now, $24 is expensive for “washers” but man those things are sick.

Much easier than a peel washer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#30]
The Accuwasher are nice but expensive. A crush washer is the easy and cheap way to time a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Accuwasher are nice but expensive. A crush washer is the easy and cheap way to time a muzzle device.
View Quote
I had used a crush washer on my last one.  This was super easy took 5 minutes.  I still have plenty too so may be able to reuse these.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I love this PA M4-72 but man is it a flame thrower!  My buddy was about 6 feet to my right and he about crapped his pants on my first shot!  I moved 15 feet away to make sure he didnt get anymore of that.  Be sure to stay clear of your fellow shooters on either side of you when using this sucker!  The design aims the blow back towards you at a 45 degree angle so stay clear!

However, it reduces the felt recoil substantially compared to my cheap brake.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#33]
A crush washer is designed to go 540 degrees (1.5 turns)

CD
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top