Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If you compare the pics you can actually see the rust pattern and where it's pitted the same area after cleaning. I have a BCA AR15 ruskie caliber and love it but that is unacceptable...
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Range report from earlier today.  I took the freshly cleaned and rust free Bear Creek Arsenal upper and mated it to a Windham Weaponry lower.  

This is a factory spec lower complete with basic Mil Spec trigger.

I did replace the firing pin with an enhanced firing pin.  The firing pin included in the BCG is not an enhanced version.

I mounted a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 scope.  Way more magnification than I plan to use on this upper, but it was what I had available.

Magazines were C-Products 7.63x39 AR mags, one 20 round and 2 10 rounds.

Ammunition was cheap steel case Tula and Bernaul.  I fired 40 rounds of Tula and 80 rounds of Bernaul.  Each magazine was used 3 times.  100% function with every round, 100% bolt lock back on each empty mag and consistent ejection noted.

Here's my "accuracy" set up:

Attachment Attached File

50 yard groups off bags:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

All in all I'm happy.  Function was 100% and accuracy was reasonable.  Before I left I did some shooting at 100 yards.  One of the target boards had a life size deer target, and I took 20 shots at 6X Mag doing my best to simulate various hunting shooting positions - braced off a tree stand gun rail, braced against a tree, off shooting sticks & seated at the base of a tree - every shot hit well within a paper plate sized group.  

I'm going to try some better factory ammo (Hornady SST most likely) and see if I can shrink the group size s little.  I may just take this rifle hunting in some of the heavy cover timber areas.

ETA:  I tiok a picture of the wrong Bernaul group.  There was another target with a full 10 round group, which did look similar to the group pictures.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't change the fact that my next cheap upper will be a PSA.
View Quote
I had a customer bring in a PSA 7.62x39 upper the other day. I swapped the handguard out to a 15" Keymod. Looked like it had a Bear Creek barrel on it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you compare the pics you can actually see the rust pattern and where it's pitted the same area after cleaning. I have a BCA AR15 ruskie caliber and love it but that is unacceptable...
View Quote
Those pics are not the same barrel. The photos show two separate uppers.

I cleaned one of them and you can see some staining or pitting. The other one I have not cleaned.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.  I think the assessment about corrosive Tula ammo may be a good possibility.  I've dealt with 4 BCA barrels...two phosphate 300BO's and two 5.56 units.  None of them had a speck of rust in the chamber, bore, or anywhere else.  

I've never used Tula ammo.  If some of it has elements in the powder and/or primers that can cause these results, I don't think I'll be using it.  Yes, you can clean the chamber/bore after every session with this ammo, but I don't think I want that requirement as an absolute.  Then again, maybe this is just with the 7.62X39 stuff.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I think the assessment about corrosive Tula ammo may be a good possibility. .
View Quote
Rust hasn't returned in my bore, after shooting 50(not 3) rounds and putting the gun away uncleaned. I'd love to find out the reason for the rust issues.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I think the assessment about corrosive Tula ammo may be a good possibility.  I've dealt with 4 BCA barrels...two phosphate 300BO's and two 5.56 units.  None of them had a speck of rust in the chamber, bore, or anywhere else.  

I've never used Tula ammo.  If some of it has elements in the powder and/or primers that can cause these results, I don't think I'll be using it.  Yes, you can clean the chamber/bore after every session with this ammo, but I don't think I want that requirement as an absolute.  Then again, maybe this is just with the 7.62X39 stuff.
View Quote
Tula ammo is not corrosive. Hasn't been for quite a while. More likely they had a batch of uppers that weren't stored correctly or something to that effect.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#9]
PSA has their complete 7.62x39 upper for 250, and the upper without BCG and CH for 150 this morning.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa47-16-7-62x39-upper-w-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa47-16-carbine-length-7-62x39-nitride-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle-5164463801.html

lifetime warranty I assume.....

fwiw
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tula ammo is not corrosive. Hasn't been for quite a while. More likely they had a batch of uppers that weren't stored correctly or something to that effect.
View Quote
Good to know.  As I stated I have no experience with Tula or any 7.62X39 caliber stuff.  Nothing against the caliber, I guess I'm just not an AK caliber gun guy.  Still, it appears that this is only showing up in 7.62X39 so far, isn't it?  Seems odd they'd do something different in prepping their barrels in that caliber differently to cause this.  I've seen quite a few of their other plain, phosphate barrels in other calibers with none of this rust issue.

And as far as the accuracy issue for their cheapest barrels in 5.56 and 300BO, I've frankly been a little surprised at how good they are.  The one on the most recent setup in 300BO that I helped a friend install to replace his 5.56 with a 16" 300BO cost $63...plain vanilla phosphate all the way.  It shoots 2" at 100 yards with a 3X9 scope with the cheapest Remington ammo he had...supersonic not suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I think the assessment about corrosive Tula ammo may be a good possibility...

I've never used Tula ammo.
View Quote
Tula ammo is not corrosive. The ammo they test fire these (with the rusted barrels) is not Tula it is something else.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have sold hundreds of barrels (in many calibers) made by Bear Creek. I absolutely think think they are the best value barrel on the market.

I think the only issue is some of these pre-assembled 7.62x39 uppers were test fired with corrosive ammo and not cleaned. It won't be hard for them to figure it out and I have 100% faith that they will get the issue sorted out and take care of anyone that has had issues.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good to know.  As I stated I have no experience with Tula or any 7.62X39 caliber stuff.  Nothing against the caliber, I guess I'm just not an AK caliber gun guy.  Still, it appears that this is only showing up in 7.62X39 so far, isn't it?  Seems odd they'd do something different in prepping their barrels in that caliber differently to cause this.  I've seen quite a few of their other plain, phosphate barrels in other calibers with none of this rust issue.

And as far as the accuracy issue for their cheapest barrels in 5.56 and 300BO, I've frankly been a little surprised at how good they are.  The one on the most recent setup in 300BO that I helped a friend install to replace his 5.56 with a 16" 300BO cost $63...plain vanilla phosphate all the way.  It shoots 2" at 100 yards with a 3X9 scope with the cheapest Remington ammo he had...supersonic not suppressed.
View Quote
I purchased my complete BCA AR15 7.62x39 several months ago due to all the hype about AR's because I wanted to find out what the big deal was. I have to admit it is my second favorite rifle to shoot. Only my Kel-Tec Sub2000 pistol carbine is funner to shoot. The thing just plain works and works every time. I've put a few hundred rounds through it already, no FTF or FTE and it holds the bolt open every time after the last shot. I've only used Tula ammo but I also clean it after every range trip. can't wait to use it this deer season.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]
@jonblack - did you ever hear back from Bear Creek about your barrel(s)?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
PSA has their complete 7.62x39 upper for 250, and the upper without BCG and CH for 150 this morning.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa47-16-7-62x39-upper-w-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa47-16-carbine-length-7-62x39-nitride-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle-5164463801.html

lifetime warranty I assume.....

fwiw
View Quote
Just came across Primary Arms has the 7.62x39 complete BCG on sale for $60. Good deal if it will headspace with the PSA $150 upper....
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Took mine out the other day, shot 30 rounds of Tula and 30 of Red Army Standard. Total through the upper now 110 rounds, one malfunction and that was my fault. Don't rest the bottom of an ASC magazine on the bench, no matter how convenient it is. That was the one round that caused a misfeed. Still using the firing pin it came with and the springs  that came in the PSA LPK I have in the lower.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Aero

I contacted them and then sent me a shipping label and said they would replace the barrels for me. We stay so busy in our store that I have not had enough time to get the uppers boxed up and shipped back.

Like I said earlier I have no doubts that BCA will take care of the issue. Hopefully they figure out were they are going wrong (test firing corrosive ammo?) so they can get past this.

On a side note, someone did a transfer of a complete BCA 7.62x39 carbine through us last week. Figured I would sneak a peak in the barrel. Rusted from top to bottom!
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Aero

I contacted them and then sent me a shipping label and said they would replace the barrels for me. We stay so busy in our store that I have not had enough time to get the uppers boxed up and shipped back.

Like I said earlier I have no doubts that BCA will take care of the issue. Hopefully they figure out were they are going wrong (test firing corrosive ammo?) so they can get past this.

On a side note, someone did a transfer of a complete BCA 7.62x39 carbine through us last week. Figured I would sneak a peak in the barrel. Rusted from top to bottom!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aero

I hope they make it right.

It’s funny that I said previously my opinion of Bear Creek was low but this upper has actually improved my perception.

Aside from the surface rust, the upper is put together well.  I was halfway expecting slipshod construction but was pleasantly surprised.  If they can just get a handle on the rust issue now...
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Asked in GD on general opinion of these when I ordered one and it was suggested that once I received it I post here as well. Gambled and bought before posting.

Received the upper 2 days ago, seems well put together. Minor issues - the bayonet lug is oversized and the $20 carry handle...meh, it's worth $20. Less minor, they must test fire with corrosive ammo because I received the upper 3 weeks after factory test fire(according to the date on the QC tag), and the whole bore had a film of rust. That cleaned out with no sign of pitting so while annoying mine was fixable.

Positives, it fits the lower well(80% build I got from my brother) and anodizing is a fair color match. Shot 50 rounds of Tula today using the firing pin it came with and the PSA springs I already had in the lower. No malfunctions and 15 rounds went into a 3.5-3.7 inch group at 100 yards. Could have done better if I'd put more effort into tight groups, and definitely would have shot better with better ammo-overall, for having well under $400 in the rifle I like it(after cleaning).  Bad guys, zombies and coyotes are bigger than 3.7 inches so it should do the job.

I did email BCA about the rust, no response yet but if it gets them to clean/oil the barrels after test firing it's an issue that should be a non-issue in the future. Headstamp on the test fire cases looked like 603, anyone know what that is?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146284/7624-312339.JPGhttps://i.imgur.com/pxSo9Ob.jpg
View Quote

Does anybody know who's headstamp that is? Is that a steel case? They say not to use steel cased ammo in their uppers.
What are the head stamp on the cases that came with everybody else's uppers?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does anybody know who's headstamp that is? Is that a steel case? They say not to use steel cased ammo in their uppers.
What are the head stamp on the cases that came with everybody else's uppers?
View Quote
Someone said the headstamp I posted is a Barnaul case.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Someone said the headstamp I posted is a Barnaul case.
View Quote
Ditto

I have some steel Monarch from Academy, same headstamp, even has the headstamp and "Barnaul" on the flap of the packaging.

Without case in hand, cant be 100% sure it's steel though.

As to how the barrels got rusted, I'd guess something else is going on. I now have a reason to stay away from them, no matter how cheap Classic marks them down.

Bear Creek needs to publicly respond imho, or it will soon spread all over the Internet that "buy a new BearCreek, get a rusted barrel"...
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

They were quick to send a RMA. Couple weeks later, I’ve received an upper that may or may not be the original, with a scrubbed looking but rusty chamber, a barrel that looks worse, and a scuffed upper marked “rust”.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I wunder if it could be some thing wrong with the way they are parkerized them?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wunder if it could be some thing wrong with the way they are parkerized them?
View Quote
That's a possibility.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Aero

Had someone transfer in one of those polymer lowers yesterday, alongside a BCA 7.62x39 upper. Guess what...yep, rusted.

I have sold Anderson 7.62x39 barrels for a couple of years, and they are made by BCA. Never had a problem. Now that I am sourcing straight from BCA I am getting rusty barrels. The outside looks great but the insides are rusted like crazy.

The photos above have me worried that I am just going to get some "cleaned" barrel, which I could do myself.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Aero

Had someone transfer in one of those polymer lowers yesterday, alongside a BCA 7.62x39 upper. Guess what...yep, rusted.

I have sold Anderson 7.62x39 barrels for a couple of years, and they are made by BCA Never had a problem. Now that I am sourcing straight from BCA I am getting rusty barrels. The outside looks great but the insides are rusted like crazy.

The photos above have me worried that I am just going to get some "cleaned" barrel, which I could do myself.
View Quote
Huh, never knew that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is the barrel profile on these, under the hand guards? HBar?
View Quote
Not really. Same diameter under handguards as what's exposed out front. The heavies I have had were about twice as thick under the handguards.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have sold Anderson 7.62x39 barrels for a couple of years, and they are made by BCA. Never had a problem.
View Quote
I have a several of those Anderson 7.62x39 barrels, 16" HBAR carbine, they're pretty darn good, I was impressed with their accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What is the barrel profile on these, under the hand guards? HBar?
View Quote
Here are pics from their web sight. Looks like hbar.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrels?spec_caliber=34
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Huh, never knew that.
View Quote
I asked them at Shot Show 2017 if BCA made their barrels and they said they did.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Here are pics from their web sight. Looks like hbar.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrels?spec_caliber=34
View Quote
Took my handguards off. It's a heavy barrel, but not as heavy as some. The Oly I had was quite a bit heavier than this, and the standard .750 outside the HGs.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm going to look at mine when I get home...  Just built two rifles with BCA uppers.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm going to look at mine when I get home...  Just built two rifles with BCA uppers.  

View Quote
You didn't look down the bore as soon as you got the uppers?
When ever I get a barrel or upper the first thing I do is look through the bore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:42:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I posted over in bcas industry forum to let them know about this thread, it's been ten days and no reply yet.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/maybe-BCA-could-chime-in-on-this-thread-/732-285490/
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I posted over in bcas industry forum to let them know about this thread, it's been ten days and no reply yet.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/maybe-BCA-could-chime-in-on-this-thread-/732-285490/
View Quote
I tagged their industry account in this thread about a month ago, and not a peep.  I don't think a rep actually monitors this board.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I tagged their industry account in this thread about a month ago, and not a peep.  I don't think a rep actually monitors this board.
View Quote
Surely Classic isn't sitting on a pallet of uppers with rusted bores? Would be nice to know....
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm getting the feeling they (BCA) are using corrosive ammo when they are test firing their uppers...I almost ruined
a custom built x39mm complete upper with a 18" Stainless barrel when I test fired it using Tula/Wolff ammo marked
NON CORROSIVE ! So one would think such ammo would not harm the bore even if it was left for days or weeks w/o
cleaning the bore, WRONG !

The Upper was super accurate and reliable, It was especially accurate with brass cased American ammo was sub MOA
at 100 yards of the portable bench (that wasn't very stable) with a decent scope mounted to it...little did I know the
steel cased commercial Russian ammo was Indeed corrosive even though the boxes were marked NON CORROSIVE
and were current production...

Long story short, I was reading a article regarding current production Russian ammo being corrosive even though the
boxes were marked NON CORROSIVE...So sure enough I quickly checked the barrel/upper on the custom X39mm
and you guessed it RUST FILM in the chamber and bore of the barrel and BCG in some areas !

Naturally I quickly scrubbed and oiled it vigorously and luckily no permanent damage was seen or anything Ill affects
were noted...Never will I trust the non corrosive labeling on foreign made ammo again, especially Russian  ammo. I
will ALWAYS clean out the bore and chamber area right after shooting a weapon...

Certainly BCA needs to do a better job of QC on the barrels and uppers BEFORE they leave the shipping department !

Good luck all.

Test fire shots video clip...

Test Firing X39mm
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm getting the feeling they (BCA) are using corrosive ammo when they are test firing their uppers...I almost ruined
a custom built x39mm complete upper with a 18" Stainless barrel when I test fired it using Tula/Wolff ammo marked
NON CORROSIVE ! So one would think such ammo would not harm the bore even if it was left for days or weeks w/o
cleaning the bore, WRONG !

The Upper was super accurate and reliable, It was especially accurate with brass cased American ammo at sub MOA
at 100 yards of the portable bench (not very stable) with a decent scope mounted to it...little did I know the steel
cased commercial Russian ammo was Indeed corrosive even though the boxes were marked NON CORROSIVE
and were current production...

Long story short, I was ready a article regarding current production Russian ammo being corrosive even though the
boxes were marked NON CORROSIVE...So sure enough I quickly checked the barrel/upper on the custom X39mm
and you guessed it RUST FILM in the chamber and bore of the barrel and BCG in some areas !

Naturally I quickly scrubbed and oiled it vigorously and luckily no permanent damage was seen or anything Ill affects
were noted...Never will I trust the non corrosive labeling on foreign made ammo again, especially Russian  ammo. I
will ALWAYS clean out the bore and chamber area right after shooting a weapon...

Certainly BCA needs to do a better job of QC on the barrels and uppers BEFORE they leave the shipping department !

Good luck all.

Test fire shots video clip...

Test Firing X39mm
View Quote
Do you have a link? The wierd thing is I've found some rust in some barrels, then on the other hand I have shot tons of steel cased in one model 1 sales non chrome lined barrel and intentionally never cleaned it and it never rusted. I've never found rust on the BCGs or in the chamber either. I've wondered if the rust I find is just the jacket material left in the barrel rusting. That obviously not the case in these BCA barrels.
If it really is corrosive ammo the only way to clean it is with hot water and or Windex. I've tried cleaning old guns that I'd shot corrosive ammo in with regular cleaning supplies and no matter how much you scrub and oil, the corrosive salts remain and continue to corrode. You also contaminate your cleaning tools (brushes, bore snake, etc) and you'll cross contaminate your other guns.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I did the $199 side charge 7.62x39 upper way back in April. I had a rust issue too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#41]
BCA complete 7.62x39 upper for $199.
Anybody willing to roll the dice? I'd buy one my self but I'm trying to quit spending so much. If anybody ordered one, please post if the bore was rusted.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Tempting....
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Tempting....
View Quote
PSA's is $149 without bcg and charging handle and includes a lifetime warranty.

I wouldn't chance $200 on this headache.
Jmho
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
BCA complete 7.62x39 upper for $199.
Anybody willing to roll the dice? I'd buy one my self but I'm trying to quit spending so much. If anybody ordered one, please post if the bore was rusted.
View Quote
That's the listing where I bought mine. Posted a review on their page mentioning the rusty bore.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Surely Classic isn't sitting on a pallet of uppers with rusted bores? Would be nice to know....
View Quote
I have had an upper and a complete gun come in on transfers from them. Both rust top to bottom. The only reason why the upper came through my shop was the buyer also bought a complete lower half and had everything shipped to my store.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You didn't look down the bore as soon as you got the uppers?
When ever I get a barrel or upper the first thing I do is look through the bore.
View Quote
I sell uppers everyday. ARs and other guns, too. Customers almost never look down the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#47]
The surface rust cleaned up fine with mine and didn’t impact function. I wanted a rattle can, EE project and this was the opportunity for under $425.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#48]
double tap, and sorry for the dirty shed door
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The surface rust cleaned up fine with mine and didn’t impact function. I wanted a rattle can, EE project and this was the opportunity for under $425.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/93996/A34BFBBB-2317-4A54-B302-30E8AB4BD6BB-350692.JPG
View Quote
That looks great!

Can I ask what handguard you installed?
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#50]
I went with the psa upper because of the potential rust issues in the bca upper.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top