UBR gen1
2a takedown pins, stainless BAD safety
SLR sentry 9 gas block
Krieger 22" barrel in target gray
Slash buffer and spring
Geissele high speed national match

Vortex 6-24x50 in an ADM Recon 20MOA mount
Atlas PSR

Offset buffer retainer pin on hand, hope I don't need it.  Test fire and barrel break in this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Going to be switching out to a carbine stock soon, any advice on which buffer and spring to try first? Currently I have; Krieger w/RLGS, SLR Adj gas, JP HP bolt, & JP LMOS BCG.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i63.tinypic.com/fnu874.jpg

Going to be switching out to a carbine stock soon, any advice on which buffer and spring to try first? Currently I have; Krieger w/RLGS, SLR Adj gas, JP HP bolt, & JP LMOS BCG.
View Quote
With the adjustable gas block, I'd do an LMT or equivalent spring and an H2 buffer (assuming an A5 receiver extension?)
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://i63.tinypic.com/fnu874.jpg

View Quote
Slash carbine buffer and spring.

Slr block 7 clicks open from closed position.  Assuming you keep the rifle length gas.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Slash carbine buffer and spring.

Slr block 7 clicks open from closed position.  Assuming you keep the rifle length gas.
View Quote
Thanks I'll give that a try.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-1234-240522.JPG

Waiting on LMT's H3 buffer and action spring, then ready to roll. Ammo is here, and my mags are marked. Of course Midway packed the ammo in the box with bubble packing instead of paper, and the box fell, so I have these to figure out whether to shoot or not. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-1246-240523.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-1245-240524.JPG
View Quote
This is almost the exact same set up as mine. I bought a complete LMT MWS 6.5 CR upper a few weeks before you bought yours off the EE. It's mounted on a preban KAC lower.  Thanks for the info on the LMT H3 buffer and spring.  I need the LMT torque wrench and planned on ordering the buffer and spring when the wrench was back in stock. I'm also waiting on an atlas bipod. 

Did you you have any problems installing a trigger in the KAC lower? I had to mill the shelf off the bottom of the trigger pocket to install a Geissele NM DMR trigger.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
@mbell we need to see your build in here! 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@mbell we need to see your build in here! 
View Quote
Here ya go...

Weight without optics 8 pounds 1.7 ounces. Small frame Gen2 platform, Ranier Arms 22" match barrel, Geissele SD3G single stage trigger. Now with Nightforce optics.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Thread bump.  Been working with the rifle to figure out drops and wind.  New rifle and new cartridge to me.  Decided to take a pic while cooling off (112 degree heat index,  ~80% humidity.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
If you'd like to see another manufacture get into the Creedmoor game, please check in at this thread and encourage LaRue Tactical fire up the barrel mill:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/284353_Why-Grendel-and-no-6-5-Creedmoor-.html
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a lot of brass shavings in the bolt face.  Case heads showed slight damage that was obviously from the extractor claw.

Broke out the dremel and needle files to smooth up the bolt.  Biggest culprit was the edge of the bolt face under the extractor.  Broke the edge with a small file, polished it up with felt wheel and some polish.  Also smoothed up the edges (not the claw) of the extractor while it was apart.

BCG is a NiB Fulton armory unit with high pressure bolt and firing pin.

Brass also showed signs of "snake bite" on the case neck.  I hit the bottom edge of the 2 o'clock extension lug and the top edge of the 3 o'clock lug.  

Brass shavings are virtually gone.  Snake bite is a little better, but I must've missed an edge or two as its not fixed yet.

Anybody have any tips?  I'd like to keep the brass nice as I'm gonna have to reload for the creedmoor if I want to keep shooting at this pace.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my home build back from Cerakote and reassembled. Still needs some tweaking of the gas block based on the brass having a little bit of coining on it (or maybe another tungsten added to the buffer).

Here are my two Creedmoor's  Seekins on top build on bottom

Aero upper, lower and handguard, Bushnell Elite 2.5-16 (pretty light for magnification range) in an aero lightweight mount.  Mega Arms barrel underneath.  12.1lbs with optics

Once I adjusted the scope after remounting it shot a nice little group.  Need to get some more ammo and see if I can replicate.

Thanks JaqueFrost for you suggestions in the build threads.  Helped me solve some early on problems with cycling and brass quickly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice,

I still need to get a scope for mine. I am shopping the EE but haven't found "the one" yet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Got the scope and mount yesterday. Not exactly what I wanted but was able to get everything from a friend for a good price.

Im gonna try to get my cerakoter to get it done this week. Gonna swap out the brake with a DA brake for my Sandman.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is almost the exact same set up as mine. I bought a complete LMT MWS 6.5 CR upper a few weeks before you bought yours off the EE. It's mounted on a preban KAC lower.  Thanks for the info on the LMT H3 buffer and spring.  I need the LMT torque wrench and planned on ordering the buffer and spring when the wrench was back in stock. I'm also waiting on an atlas bipod. 

Did you you have any problems installing a trigger in the KAC lower? I had to mill the shelf off the bottom of the trigger pocket to install a Geissele NM DMR trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-1234-240522.JPG

Waiting on LMT's H3 buffer and action spring, then ready to roll. Ammo is here, and my mags are marked. Of course Midway packed the ammo in the box with bubble packing instead of paper, and the box fell, so I have these to figure out whether to shoot or not. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-1246-240523.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-1245-240524.JPG

No problems with the SSAE trigger going in. I haven't tried the Geisseke adjustable. FWIW, if you didn't see my other post, a guy who knows what he's doing said the best combo is probably going to be the LMT spring on a KAC (H2) buffer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Stretched the 6.5 to 1300 today!

We're going to 1880 tomorrow. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Stretched the 6.5 to 1300 today!

We're going to 1880 tomorrow. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/275881/IMG_1355-279150.JPG
View Quote
Nice! What shooting mat is that?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got my home build back from Cerakote and reassembled. Still needs some tweaking of the gas block based on the brass having a little bit of coining on it (or maybe another tungsten added to the buffer).

Here are my two Creedmoor's  Seekins on top build on bottom

http://i.imgur.com/H8FvXpT.jpg

Aero upper, lower and handguard, Bushnell Elite 2.5-16 (pretty light for magnification range) in an aero lightweight mount.  Mega Arms barrel underneath.  12.1lbs with optics

Once I adjusted the scope after remounting it shot a nice little group.  Need to get some more ammo and see if I can replicate.

http://i.imgur.com/yHHaZKU.jpg

Thanks JaqueFrost for you suggestions in the build threads.  Helped me solve some early on problems with cycling and brass quickly.
View Quote
I'm glad I could help
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#21]
What thickness neoprene are you guys using on your cheek rests, 1/4" or thinner?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice! What shooting mat is that?
View Quote
The midway pro one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Pushing an MGM Spinner target over at 330 yards with 2 shots. 22" 6.5 Creedmoor.  I was shooting 147gr factory ELD-M.

This was at the MGM Ironman this year.

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.jacobson.5095/videos/10209526467061124/
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Found another fun 6.5 Creed video!

This was me shooting an IPSC target at around 1030 yards about as fast as I felt comfortable. Managed 9 out of 10.

Same gun I shot in MGM, but I swapped the barrels from a PROOF Carbon, to a Bartlein.

https://www.facebook.com/nemoarms/videos/1697448533603385/
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#25]

This is my Aero Precision M5E1 with 22" criterion 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, RRA 2 stage varmint trigger and Leupold VX3i 4-14X50 scope in a GG&G mount
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I started ordering my parts from AP with the intention of building a 308, after seeing some of the great looking builds here and doing some research on the 6.5, I think I would like to go that route.
Since this will be my first build, my intentions were to go with all of AP parts just for less chance of things not playing well together.
So far I have ordered the stripped upper and lower, also the nitrite BCG.
Thinking of a barrel length of  18 to 20.
Nothing set in stone, if any of you that have been down this path before and can offer suggestions, I am all ears.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I started ordering my parts from AP with the intention of building a 308, after seeing some of the great looking builds here and doing some research on the 6.5, I think I would like to go that route.
Since this will be my first build, my intentions were to go with all of AP parts just for less chance of things not playing well together.
Nothing set in stone, if any of you that have been down this path before and can offer suggestions, I am all ears.
View Quote
find either a Bartlein/Brux/Krieger/Hawk Hill 22" barrel and you will have a hell of a shooter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Im in exactly the same shoes. Ordered the AP lower from primary arms with the free upper, picked up the AP NiB bcg and am working on the rest now.

I ended up going with the Criterion 22" stainless barrel from Brownells, they also offer it in 18". You can get it for $305 when they run their 10% off promo with free shipping. The Ballistic advantage barrel was way to heavy for me and I wasn't a fan of the matte stainless look. The Criterion has excellent reviews and was the best option in my price range.

Im slowly piecing mine together but it will probably be a while.

Brownells link
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#29]
So far I like the Criterion barrel 22" SS in 6.5.  I am easily getting sub MOA at 100yds.   I can't wait to start stretching it out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
FYI to those looking at building.

In my limited experience I've found that the 6.5CM really heats up a barrel.  I'm currently using a 4lb4oz 22" barrel and after 15-20 rounds the groups will open up unless I let it cool for 5-10 minutes.  I'd estimate the time between shots to be ~10 seconds.

A lighter weight profile is fine, I'd just be aware of its limitations.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone have a good link to 6.5c reloading data? Having a hard time finding some.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone have a good link to 6.5c reloading data? Having a hard time finding some.
View Quote
It's the easiest thing in the world to reload for.  Use H4350, find your load (It's been a while, but both rifles shoot the Hornady equivalent which I think is 42.1gr).  The only hard part is getting the powder.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
FYI to those looking at building.

In my limited experience I've found that the 6.5CM really heats up a barrel.  I'm currently using a 4lb4oz 22" barrel and after 15-20 rounds the groups will open up unless I let it cool for 5-10 minutes.  I'd estimate the time between shots to be ~10 seconds.

A lighter weight profile is fine, I'd just be aware of its limitations.
View Quote
I have noticed this also.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's the easiest thing in the world to reload for.  Use H4350, find your load (It's been a while, but both rifles shoot the Hornady equivalent which I think is 42.1gr).  The only hard part is getting the powder.
View Quote
Man I can not find it anywhere at all. But yes that's what I'm trying to get. In the mean time I just went out and shot some 8208 loads and they did Pretty good. Had a 1/2" 5 round group.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Shot some lovely 4" 5 shot groups yesterday with 140gr American Gunner and 130gr Norma Match at 200. I was able to do about 2.5" with my SR25 so I'm guessing it's the barrel or the shooter, not the ammo. Nothing worth photographing at this point

Also, LaRue's upper sale is a kick in the teeth
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you'd like to see another manufacture get into the Creedmoor game, please check in at this thread and encourage LaRue Tactical fire up the barrel mill.
View Quote
It looks like LaRue heard you. I see that they have 6.5C barrel options in their large format Ultimate Upper offer. Go get one. Darn, I would have bought one if I didn't just put together a 7mm-08 rifle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Picked up my lower on Friday.
Lower parts kit was supposed to be here Sat but didnt show up, USPS SNAFU I guess.
The upper and lower fit together rather nice, I am impressed.
After looking over all of the nice builds here and contemplating its future use (and my budget)
I decided I want to keep this a carbine.
I live in Wisconsin, most deer are typically shot at under a 100 yards, you may get a long shot out to 300 plus over a open field.
The ranges that I go to have a couple of 300 yard shooting lanes.
Anyway, I am going to go with a 18 inch BA barrel with an SLR block.
LaRue Tactical MBT-2S trigger
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#38]
as cheap as the psa 308 is right now this makes it tempting.

If I pick up the upper and lower for 450 and a BA barrel for 300, how much more do I need to make it work?

Seems like I can do this for under 1k.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Here is my contribution. Was out getting some velocity numbers.

Aero M5 Receivers, BA 22" barrel. Apex Handguard. XTR II Optic. I have a toolcraft Nitrided BCG running in this. Originally I had that Aero NiB BCG. But it failed to cycle constantly. I put in this toolcraft bcg and it runs great. I emailed toolcraft if it was safe to shoot creedmoor with their bolt and they said it was fine.

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Received my lower parts kit and got it all put together, everything works as it should.
It was surprisingly easy to do, did it in under 30 minutes by hand, no jigs.
Well except for the rear take down pin detent and spring which I have to tackle yet
The fit of the AP upper and lower when pinned together is quite nice, very impressed.
Anyway, more parts coming tomorrow, will post some pics when it looks more like a gun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Just ordered an 18 inch BA barrel from Granite Ridge, 25 percent off came to just over 2 bills with free shipping via  USPS.
Parts wish list is getting shorter now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I jumped on the LaRue Ultimate Upper in 6.5CM.  While I probably won't use the upper and rail, that 6.5CM barrel should go well on my current 7.62 LaRue.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I jumped on the LaRue Ultimate Upper in 6.5CM.  While I probably won't use the upper and rail, that 6.5CM barrel should go well on my current 7.62 LaRue.
View Quote
I just got one too in 22" flavor.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I just got one too in 22" flavor.
View Quote
I'm going to order one soon, what lower are you going with? I'm thinking of getting the 110 UU Kit and Mega Ambi Lower. Just not sure if it will work or not. this whole large frame AR platform confuses me to no end LOL.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm going to order one soon, what lower are you going with? I'm thinking of getting the 110 UU Kit and Mega Ambi Lower. Just not sure if it will work or not. this whole large frame AR platform confuses me to no end LOL.
View Quote
I already have the PWS one I am going to use. It is a DPMS/SR25 Pattern.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I just ordered a 20" Faxon 6.5 barrel and 6.5 bolt to start my first Grendel build. Nice looking rifles here, can't tell from the pics if adjustable gas blocks are being used. Are they needed, never used one before on my 5.56 or 300 blk builds.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just ordered a 20" Faxon 6.5 barrel and 6.5 bolt to start my first Grendel build. Nice looking rifles here, can't tell from the pics if adjustable gas blocks are being used. Are they needed, never used one before on my 5.56 or 300 blk builds.
View Quote
I have one on my PWS because it's a piston gun.

The LaRue I just ordered does not have one. They are nice, but not needed IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/qUSShKc.jpg

This is my Aero Precision M5E1 with 22" criterion 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, RRA 2 stage varmint trigger and Leupold VX3i 4-14X50 scope in a GG&G mount
View Quote
@BobinIL How does it shoot?  Thinking of picking up an Aero for both .308 and 6.5CM
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok, I have ordered all the remaining parts to complete my build and should have something that is ready for the range by next weekend.
The only thing I have not ordered yet is a brake and possibly a surpressor.
Just wondering if you guys with some run time on these guns could point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Greg
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top