AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Found some new glass for mine

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone know if Forward Controls Design's billet bolt catch works on these receivers?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
For those with 18” BA premium 308 barrels, what ammo are you getting good results with?

I have tried FGMM 168 and Priv Match 168 and cant do better than 2” at 100 yard with front bipod and rear bag.

Using M5e1 set. All scope mount bolts were rechecked, parallax was set at 100. Build has about 80 rounds through it now. Barrel nut was torque/loosened/torqued three times at 65 foot lbs using reaction rod. Aero nitride bolt headspace passed. All parts new. Sprinco orange spring and standard Aero carbine buffet. Larue MBT.

Used a 6.5C bolt gun and 223 semi on same trip and had no issue repeatedly getting sub Moa with those at 100.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a BA barrel, mines a Mega 18", and it shoots sub .5" MOA all day long at 100 yards, with PPU 168 Match, and I'm rusty as fuck behind the glass. 
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My BA Hanson seems to prefer 175 grain FGMM quite a bit over the 168 FGMM
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My BA Hanson seems to prefer 175 grain FGMM quite a bit over the 168 FGMM
View Quote
I am going to try some 175. I took the upper completely apart today. Rechecked head space, checked all the torque before taking it apart and all was correct. Cleaned up each piece again and retorqued it all down. Gas block was lined up correctly even though I have had issues with it cycling unsuppressed.

Will try no muzzle device as well next time to see if impact on accuracy.  

Only odd damage is to front edges of barrel extension (on 12oclock lug and 3oclock lug) where the bolt seems to be hitting it right on edge and left small dings. And sliver of backside edge of one of the bolt lugs is showing bare metal instead of the nitride finish.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Dupe
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Could somebody help me out with the following:

I have a Faxon Big Gunner profile mid-length barrel in .308 I'm looking to mate with an M5E1 upper in the future.  I bought an SA adjustable gas block from Faxon, and an Aero mid-length gas tube for use with this setup.  Upon test fitting, I found the tube extends maybe a half to three quarters of an inch beyond the barrel extension, which looks woefully short compared to how far the gas tube protrudes into the uppers on my two AR-15 builds.  

1) About how far does a gas tube need to protrude into an M5 series upper to work properly?

2) Is my gas tube too short?

If this is in the wrong place, kindly delete or move.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Could somebody help me out with the following:

I have a Faxon Big Gunner profile mid-length barrel in .308 I'm looking to mate with an M5E1 upper in the future.  I bought an SA adjustable gas block from Faxon, and an Aero mid-length gas tube for use with this setup.  Upon test fitting, I found the tube extends maybe a half to three quarters of an inch beyond the barrel extension, which looks woefully short compared to how far the gas tube protrudes into the uppers on my two AR-15 builds.  

1) About how far does a gas tube need to protrude into an M5 series upper to work properly?

2) Is my gas tube too short?

If this is in the wrong place, kindly delete or move.
View Quote
It needs to impinge on the BCG gas key--just like a standard AR.  Direct gas impingement is direct gas impingement across the AR world.

You've likely got a carbine tube.  Measure it.  Carbine should be about 9.75".  Midlength should be about 11.75".
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#10]
If I were building a 20" .308 with rifle gas and an adjustable gas block, could a carbine buffer tube be used? Would I need a special .308 buffer? Also can someone please confirm that if I use rifle buffer tube a standard ar15 rifle buffer can be used.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I were building a 20" .308 with rifle gas and an adjustable gas block, could a carbine buffer tube be used? Would I need a special .308 buffer? Also can someone please confirm that if I use rifle buffer tube a standard ar15 rifle buffer can be used.
Thanks
View Quote
Gas system is linked, but not tied to recoil system.

Lots of folks run carbine buffers on a rifle length gas system.  However, you'll likely have to fiddle with the gas settings on your adjustable GB if you don't want to buy a dedicated buffer.  Most use a heavier buffer, like H4ish.  

Not sure about your second question.  I'd avoid if possible.  Right tool for the job, etc.  If you insist on doing this, make sure you start low on your gas settings.

As far as interfacing with the BCG, I believe the AR10 and AR15 buffers have the same interface dimensions; that is: it's not the forward face of the buffer that will cause issues.  

Similar tuning can be done using different k recoil springs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#12]
So anyone try an a2 stock with one?

Haven't seen any in the pics
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
actually I have a 22" 6.5 Creedmoor with a rifle +2" gas system running flawlessly on a A2 stock and standard ar15 buffer and spring. It does have any adjustable gas block. I run it mostly suppressed. I think i built mine off suggestions from this thread. I have a friend who wants one in .308 and is asking me for help on a parts list. Just trying to see how most guys set up their buffer systems
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rifle buffer tubes are the same between regular-frame and large-frame ARs, so an A2 stock will work fine. The M110 SASS basically has an adjustable A2. One reason you maybe don't see as many of them is a lot of owners, myself included, use a heavier stock like a Magpul PRS or UBR to balance out the heavier barrels on the large-frame guns.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#15]
What brands are people using for barrels on these receiver sets?  Or do most just use the AP barrels?

Also, is there a quad rail that works with these receiver sets or are we limited to the hand guards that AP sells forge M5?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What brands are people using for barrels on these receiver sets?  Or do most just use the AP barrels?

Also, is there a quad rail that works with these receiver sets or are we limited to the hand guards that AP sells forge M5?  Thanks!
View Quote
There are tons of barrels. I'm using a criterion 22" barrel from brownells. Ballistic advantage is also a popular one that's a little more affordable.

Handguards are plentiful too. You can look at SLR, they have a lot of them. You need to search the AR10 section under DPMS High (which is the style/pattern of the receiver) and anything there will fit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been gravitating towards Faxon 308 barrels lately, i also have 1 KAK barrel (Green Mountain blank), a Rainier, in addition to the previously mentioned Ballistic Advantage.

as far as HG's go, not all brands do such a good job of matching the Aero M5 rail height, it seems there's some variance on interpretation of "DPMS LR-308 high".  in addition to the obvious Aero rails, it seems that SLR's line up nicely (I haven't boughten one yet), i've used several of the UTG Pro MTU026SSKB rail (15" keymod), and it matches the rail height nicely (and affordable at $150).  it helps to look at pics of others builds, take a close look at the receiver, rail interface.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]
My Aero M5 has a barrel from that barrel maker who can't be named on this forum. 22" fluted stainless beauty.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone know if Forward Controls Design's billet bolt catch works on these receivers?
View Quote
to answer my own question...

After breaking one of Aero's bolt catches, my Forward Control's Billet one arrived yesterday.
Looks great, feels great, and I'll soon know if it works great.
First observation - it sticks out much further when locking the bolt back.
I'll upload some pictures soon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Great starting point: M5E1 FDE Builder Set 15" MLOK $350
View Quote
I went slightly different almost all ordered.

Rifle Build (New)  6.5 Grendel

1. Faxon 18" .750 Nitrided  (mid length)                        195  GB
2. Monster bolt                                                             55  GB
3. Magpul MOE FDE Rifle stock                                 68  Amazon    
4. 5/8 crush washers x2                                                 6   Joe Bob Outfitters
5. gas tube roll pin x2                                                  2.5   JoeBobOutFitters
6. Spikes gas tube med. melonite                                 16   Joe Bob Outfitters
7. JP Lower parts kit no trigger                                     40   Joe Bob Outfitters
8. A2 Rifle Stock Completion Kit                                   38   Joe Bob Outfitters
9. Seekins adjustable gas block                                   58  Brownells
10. BCM Gunfighter charging handle med mod 4             50  Brownells
11. AP Enhanced Upper/MLOK Rail 15                         219 Granite Ridge Outfitters
12. Sharps Blem NPR BCG                                         139  Granite Ridge Outfitters
13. Smith Enterprises Vortex FH                                  95 Brownells
14. Magpul BAD Lever                                                 28 Brownells
15. Lee 3 Die Set                                                        38 Amazon

17. Larue MBT Trigger                                                  99?  Larue Black Friday
18. E-Lander Magazines                                               18  Alexander Arms
19. Cerakote my Diamond Lowe                                    80  Cerakoters
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#21]

1. Faxon 18" .750 Nitrided  (mid length)                        195  GB
View Quote
ETA: belatedly saw 6.5 Grendel, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For those with 18” BA premium 308 barrels, what ammo are you getting good results with?

I have tried FGMM 168 and Priv Match 168 and cant do better than 2” at 100 yard with front bipod and rear bag.
View Quote
I have an 20" BA Premium .308 barrel so I hope its close enough. I don't shoot long range with it. My usual range goes to 350 yards. But I have very good results with both PPU 168gr Match and FGMM 168Gr. I have found I am more accurate when I take the bipod off and rest the front on a bag. But that is probably just me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

1. Faxon 18" .750 Nitrided  (mid length)
View Quote
Are you really building a Grendel on a large-frame Aero M5 receiver set? Did you mean 6.5 Creedmoor, or are you building an AR15? It will be a great gun either way. Nice build list!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#24]
<delete>
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you really building a Grendel on a large-frame Aero M5 receiver set? Did you mean 6.5 Creedmoor, or are you building an AR15? It will be a great gun either way. Nice build list!
View Quote
No, its an AR-15.  It technically didn't belong in this thread, but I wanted to respond to the other post.
I spent a few weeks going back and forth on the parts, finding some deals, etc.
I am excited to build an AR in not .223.  I was thinking .308, but I have an Armalite AR-10TC I dont shoot and got a Tikka .308 Sporter a while ago to do distance shooting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'll upload some pictures soon.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#28]
So does the one on the right work?

If so, how do you like it?

Last, how much and where can one procure one?

I’ve heard numerous accounts of OEM AP M5 bolt catches breaking and this would be a nice alternative or backup.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Latest pic of my M5's.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’ve heard numerous accounts of OEM AP M5 bolt catches breaking and this would be a nice alternative or backup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the Forward Control lever ?
Yeah, it's by Forward Controls. I picked it up from their website with a coupon code, worked out to about $45 delivered Link.
And that's why I got it. Ran into a similar problem with my 9mm ARs... broken bolt catches until I switched to Billet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I hope they offer a military discount, cuz damn ... that’s a good bit for a bolt catch.

Thanks for the heads up and link.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Just finished this up today

M5 reciecer set
15” mlok hand-guard all duracoated magpul od green by yours truly.
Magpul ubr od green
MIAD od
Larue mbt
22” ba fluted barrel
Aero black nitride bolt
Geissle 20 moa mount/pst gen ii 5-25  moa
Mack brothers mb762l Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks like you like green.

Nice truck and matching blaster.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I hope they offer a military discount, cuz damn ... that’s a good bit for a bolt catch.

Thanks for the heads up and link.
View Quote
They run sales that help out, also some other vendors carry them as well. But 308 guns just run more for parts.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#35]
^^^^^ this is too true

My wallet/bank account is suffering getting this AR10 together ... and I still need some tools (upper/lower vice blocks), glass, bipod, mags and Ammo.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I just put together an M5E1 w/ Ballistic Advantage 20" 6.5 CM barrel that really shoots great.  So far I have put 60 rounds of Hornady Black 140gr BTHP and 20 rounds of Hornady 147 ELD-M through it.  The largest groups at 100 yd have been around 1 inch.  Yesterday I shot four groups with the Black which resulted in three groups <0.5 in and the last group right at 1 in.  With the SLR sentry 8 adjustable gas block, it was very easy to get the gas dialed in where it was ejecting at the proper angle.  Only two stovepipes which took place while I was adjusting gas to get it right (had it turned way down to start), so I don't really count those.  From front to back, Rugged Surge suppressor on a Rugged three port muzzle break, BA 20" 6.5 CM barrel, SLR Sentry 8 gas block, M5E1 keymod rail (extremely stiff, I like), Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 MOA in 20 MOA LaRue LT-745, Aero nitride BCG w/ high pressure bolt, RRA varmint 3.5 lb two stage trigger, LaRue RAT stock.  Recoil is exceedingly mild, the gun basically shoots itself.  The only thing I would change would be to have purchased a fluted barrel, but for how much I paid for this one I can't complain.  A scope upgrade will happen in the future when I get off the fence about what I want.
View Quote
Today's outing was quite successful as well.  The barrel seems to like 140 gr Hornady black pretty well, with groups hovering right under 1" center to center.  It really prefers the factory Hornady 147 ELD so far, though.  I shot three groups with this stuff today, the first was just over 0.5" center to center and the last two were just under 0.5" at 100 yd.  100% reliability since getting the adjustable gas block dialed in at first.  Beyond 10 yd, the loudest part of the equation was the impact on steel just behind the target.  I put about 200 yd between myself and the gun w/ my brother shooting it and couldn't hardly believe my ears, you would have no idea someone was shooting a full power rifle if you didn't know what was going on.  I was shocked at how quiet it is with the Rugged Surge in short configuration.  Pic below of my shooting position and the final group of the day w/ Hornady 147 ELD.  So far, I love this gun

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Very nice. Glad to hear it’s running great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looks like you like green.

Nice truck and matching blaster.
View Quote
Thanks, I went green because for one its different than fde everything. And two matches better around here. My truck is actually more gold color than anything else. Its just dirty......lol
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Today's outing was quite successful as well.  The barrel seems to like 140 gr Hornady black pretty well, with groups hovering right under 1" center to center.  It really prefers the factory Hornady 147 ELD so far, though.  I shot three groups with this stuff today, the first was just over 0.5" center to center and the last two were just under 0.5" at 100 yd.  100% reliability since getting the adjustable gas block dialed in at first.  Beyond 10 yd, the loudest part of the equation was the impact on steel just behind the target.  I put about 200 yd between myself and the gun w/ my brother shooting it and couldn't hardly believe my ears, you would have no idea someone was shooting a full power rifle if you didn't know what was going on.  I was shocked at how quiet it is with the Rugged Surge in short configuration.  Pic below of my shooting position and the final group of the day w/ Hornady 147 ELD.  So far, I love this gun

https://i.imgur.com/6z42TJB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LYw7H6Q.jpg
View Quote
Double tap.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/6z42TJB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LYw7H6Q.jpg
View Quote
What scope is that?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What scope is that?
View Quote
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X32 MOA gen 1.  Love it but will be replaced soon with something with higher magnification.  This scope mount combo is what I drop on new rifles to see if they can shoot well enough to "earn" their own $$ optic.  It's a great way to determine how much money I want to drop on optic for a gun, that way I don't accidentally end up with a nice scope on a dog of a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Anybody use the V7 SR25 bolt catch in their Aero lower? Looking at it as a cheaper alternative to the FCD bolt catch.

VSeven Bolt Catch
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Latest pic of my M5's.
View Quote
Those look awesome man!!  What is the part number on those handguards?  They look like the Midwest Industries one I want, but I want to make sure I get the right one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Those look awesome man!!  What is the part number on those handguards?  They look like the Midwest Industries one I want, but I want to make sure I get the right one.
View Quote
Thanks! The part number is MI-308SS15-DHM
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anybody use the V7 SR25 bolt catch in their Aero lower? Looking at it as a cheaper alternative to the FCD bolt catch.

VSeven Bolt Catch
View Quote
I have one in mine. It seems to be a fairly close match to an Armalite AR10 bolt catch I had in my parts bin. But I haven't function tested this build yet.  Still waiting on takedown & pivot pins and some go/no-go gauges.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have one in mine. It seems to be a fairly close match to an Armalite AR10 bolt catch I had in my parts bin. But I haven't function tested this build yet.  Still waiting on takedown & pivot pins and some go/no-go gauges.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472704/LR308_-343824.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472704/LR308_3-343890.JPG
View Quote
I'm new to the build thing and just ordered my AP M5e1 upper and lower. If you don't mind me asking - what is the barrel & handguard length? I like the looks of your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm new to the build thing and just ordered my AP M5e1 upper and lower. If you don't mind me asking - what is the barrel & handguard length? I like the looks of your rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472704/LR308_-343824.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472704/LR308_3-343890.JPG
Thanks!

AERO M5E1 BUILDER SET W/15" HANDGUARD
Proof Research 16" CF PR-10 Barrel
SLR Ti Sentry8 w/Aero melonite gas tube
2A Ti X4 Muzzle Brake along with a JP crush washer
Magpul MBUS gen2 front flip sight (with KNS 'V' notch post)
KAC Micro rear flip sight (peep)
Lantac 308 E-BCG
Radian NiB Raptor charging handle
Radian NiB Talon safety
AERO M5 td & pivot pins
V7 S7 NP3 bolt catch
V7 Ti mag release (this just failed on me June 2019. Stripped out the mag button as I had it barely on there)
KNS anti walk pins
Hiperfire Eclipse
Magpul UBR gen2
JP Silent Captured Spring H2
Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip
V7 Ti grip screw.......cause why not?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I just picked up a set of "extended" take-down, pivot pins for my Aero M5, these are designed specifically for the Aero M5 set, with the right length, the detents in the right place, nice fit, they work great.  the knobs are similar to the YHM EZ Pull pins for the AR-15, but the have some ornamental divots added to them, and the take-down pin has a cross hole.  I would've preferred to have a set without these ornamental embellishments, but I'm happy enough just to have knobs that are easy to grasp.  makes take-down for cleaning, inspection a whole lot easier.  got them off of fleabay for $20/set shipped.

just fyi.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Just need the Go/No-Go Gauges. Trying to be patient! Ordered them as an in stock item last Monday.......Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just need the Go/No-Go Gauges. Trying to be patient! Ordered them as an in stock item last Monday.......https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472704/20171027_181432-345978.JPG
View Quote
Is that one of hyper touch's triggers?
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top