Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:52:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is basically a coffin nail for my Grendel build.  I was going to use a Satern barrel.  I know there are other barrel mfg's, but I had my heart set on Satern.  Oh well, maybe it's time to look @ 6.8.

*cough* 6x45 - 1:9 twist froom WOA. 2600+ FPS with a 100g bullet

GGG,

Doesn't John Hollinger have a 6WOA?  Is that the same round as 6x45.  I spoke to him about is 2 years ago.  I think that he was getting close to 2900fps.

Phil

J. Hollinger has the 6mm WOA (White Oak Armament) and is based on the 6.8mm SPC parent case, the 6X45mm is of course based on the .223 Rem. parent case.

This is all true. Not intended to hijack this lovely and controversial thread, but I was just giving my opinion of a relevant solution. Same bolt, same mags, different barrel. High BC bullets. I have a lot of fun with this rifle becuase its cheap to shoot and easy to load. 100g bullets can move 2700 fps with the proper load, my mentioning of the 2600+ FPS is the black hills (les baer) ammunition that is offered commercially. 90g FMJ bullets are moving 2800 with ease as well. Redding makes 6x45 dies and you can find .223 parent case brass on the ground at the range, in walmart and just about anywhere else. Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So why doesn't Satern make .264 LBC barrels instead?  Seems like a no brainer.

It wouldn't surprise me if that eventually happened.

But the contract hasn't even run out yet, and we don't know the details of the disagreement in the first place.  Maybe they'll get back together.  Maybe Satern will produce a "different" .264 chambering.  Maybe it's dead and gone altogether.  Maybe AA will get a different high-end barrel manufacturer onboard (like Krieger, for instance).

Who knows?  I can't predict the future.

But if anyone was planning on eventually purchasing a Satern barrel with a Grendel chamber, you should probably get it ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there an alternative to the 50 Beo?  499 LW?
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there an alternative to the 50 Beo?  499 LW?

My first response: Hell no there is no substitute

But if you are talking availability:
.499 LW if you can find the brass. I would say .458 Socom because you have a good bullet selection but you also should be a reloader. In my opinion. you should be a reloader if you are shooting any of the big bores.

.50 Beowulf Barrels in stock: 50 B
.50 Bewowulf Brass in stock: Brass

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I was trying to think of a way around the crappy licensing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn . . . . that's too bad .

I picked up a Grendel bolt and mag from AA a while ago , but too many irons in the fire now to order a barrel. I think my smith was ordering an LBC reamer anyways though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is an update from the Satern site:

"We also will not be manufacturing barrels for Alexander Arms."

Phil

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Evidently Satern was not manufacturing many barrels for AA as it was. They were their premium line.
From what I was told by AA they have already sourced a new manufacturer for their premium barrels
and their standard barrels are not affected as they are produced by someone else any way.

Too bad though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Well if AA told you.... It is good enough for us.

So I will assume that these "high end" barrels will remain mystery brand? I personally like knowing who the High End barrel is from in my rifles. The definition of "high end" is subjective.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well if AA told you.... It is good enough for us.

So I will assume that these "high end" barrels will remain mystery brand? I personally like knowing who the High End barrel is from in my rifles. The definition of "high end" is subjective.

Very good point, wonder if they will disclose who there high end vendors are ? Considering the way they run things lately, the answer is likely a big NO.

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#12]
why don't you just pop over to their forum here on Arf and ask?
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would, but considering how many posts have been deleted by Bwaites and Bill, i doubt the question will be suffered very well. I think I have seen about 10 posts be deleted regarding barrels.
Hey Fortier, maybe you should use your mad gunwritr skills to research and write an in depth article about it, including the in-question type of post deletion.

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would, but considering how many posts have been deleted by Bwaites and Bill, i doubt the question will be suffered very well. I think I have seen about 10 posts be deleted regarding barrels.
Hey Fortier, maybe you should use your mad gunwritr skills to research and write an in depth article about it, including the in-question type of post deletion.

Maybe people shouldn't troll a manufacturer's industry forum promoting another company........... Try doing that in LaRue's industry forum and see where that gets you.

I think it's a valid question, so I have posted it on their forum and we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I read somewhere that AA will be using Bergera barrels on their future uppers. Just an FYI, not too sure of the quality of these.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I read somewhere that AA will be using Bergera barrels on their future uppers. Just an FYI, not too sure of the quality of these.

All that I have heard about Bergara barrels has been all good...
Apparently, some big names have started using there barrels...
Again, that is what I have read/heard...

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#18]
This sucks i ordered a 16" Satern barrel from AA about 3 months ago. Ill have to call on Tuesday, i see Satern has what i want in their closeout section but it's 50 more and no bolt either. Almost makes me not want to build one but i already have some ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that I have heard about Bergara barrels has been all good...
Apparently, some big names have started using there barrels...
Again, that is what I have read/heard...

apparently Ed Shilen stands behind the quality of these barrels. I just hope theres no more ring around the effin rosie. Heres a vid:

bergara youtube link

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe we can all convince Saturn to produce a brand new barrel. Lets say they start producing a .264LBC.  That should keep us all happy. Right?
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe we can all convince Saturn to produce a brand new barrel. Lets say they start producing a .264LBC.  That should keep us all happy. Right?

wouldnt les baer want a piece of the pie then? I thought the 6.5 sporter was going to be the first to go.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#22]
How about 6.5mm Satern Cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is basically a coffin nail for my Grendel build.  I was going to use a Satern barrel.  I know there are other barrel mfg's, but I had my heart set on Satern.  Oh well, maybe it's time to look @ 6.8.

I have an AA  24''barrel and a 20" satern barrel my AA barrel smokes my satern for $200 less. I have to be honest, I leave the satern at home and I have a 200(1000)  yard range in my front yard. I am hoping the Satern will "Break in", and be worth what I paid for. 90 rounds through the AA and 40 through the Satern. I get 1/2 " groups  with the AA t 100 yds and the Satern will only shoot factory loads hope it just needs more rounds through it. AA shoots reloads and factory.  I had to return my bolt to satern as it came with no extractor pin and spring.They took care of it right away. It will not chamber reloads  without some help. I used lee re sizer dies on the first batch and have since bought foresters and have not tried these yet. Whatever the problem was I hope it wasn't due to satern not living up to the hype.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why not go with a Les Bauer barrel in 264?
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wouldnt les baer want a piece of the pie then?

I think one of the motivations behind the LBC was to do away with AA's type of licensing constraints.  So I would imagine his piece of the pie would be small, if any at all.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top