Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 10:45:21 AM EDT
Anyhow, been thinking of my next project, and two things I've been wanting to build was an SBR, and a 7.62 rifle.  

Heard about the MA-10 a few months ago, but never really sparked any interest because I was busy with other projects, which I actually just finished.  Someway or another, a buddy of mine (who just got his SR-25) reminded me
about it, and then the wheels began turning.

Now I want to build an SBR 7.62 using the new MEGA MA-10 Combo and a Noveske Leonidas Barrel, yay or nay? And why.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it. Rainier Arms is selling the combo for 499.00 right now IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyhow, been thinking of my next project, and two things I've been wanting to build was an SBR, and a 7.62 rifle.  

Heard about the MA-10 a few months ago, but never really sparked any interest because I was busy with other projects, which I actually just finished.  Someway or another, a buddy of mine (who just got his SR-25) reminded me
about it, and then the wheels began turning.

Now I want to build an SBR 7.62 using the new MEGA MA-10 Combo and a Noveske Leonidas Barrel, yay or nay? And why.

Nope, not going to talk you out of it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be the first naysayer.

I think the Armalite pattern magazine is superior to the KAC/DPMS magazine.

Also, the MA-10 seems roughly equivalent to an Armalite pattern AR-10 upper and lower while being more expensive and not forged.

All the fcg parts in an Armalite AR-10 are actually AR-15 parts except the mag catch.  I am also using an AR-15 buffer tube and buffer in my AR-10, which simply required some shortening of the buffer and recoil spring.

The AR-10 can use any barrel and BCG that the MA-10 or DPMS can.

So I see no real parts compatibility advantage over an AR-10.

To me it boils down to which mags you want to use.

Not saying it isnt good stuff, just that the claimed "advantage" of parts compatibility is overplayed.  The AR-10 already does all that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not even consider a 308 with a barrel shorter than 20".  The muzzle blast will be so intense that the novelty will wear off quickly and you will either be in the market for a suppressor or a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would not even consider a 308 with a barrel shorter than 20".  The muzzle blast will be so intense that the novelty will wear off quickly and you will either be in the market for a suppressor or a longer barrel.

I have no problems with the muzzle blast from my 16" AR-10 or Saiga 308.

Its not like you can shoot a 20" 308 without ear plugs.

That said, I prefer 17" - 18" bbls for pretty much any autoloading non-precision rifle.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't work with the magpul bolt assist device.  I asked.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The suppressor would definitely be in future plans.

Wonder if the Phase5 ebrV2 would work, had to use that with my 5.56 Mega Build.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't have told you about it if I didn't want you to build it..lol..A 7.62 SBR would be BADASS brother...DO IT!!!!

ETA: Sorry I didn't bring the SR25 out last time..If I knew you were on the fence about building a 7.62 AR, I definitely would have had it out at the range..Next time I'll make sure it's packed up and ready to go..
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Hold out for the monolithic upper due out this fall
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wouldn't have told you about it if I didn't want you to build it..lol..A 7.62 SBR would be BADASS brother...DO IT!!!!

ETA: Sorry I didn't bring the SR25 out last time..If I knew you were on the fence about building a 7.62 AR, I definitely would have had it out at the range..Next time I'll make sure it's packed up and ready to go..

HAHAHA!! And I had totally forgotten about it too! LOL

It's a good thing you didn't bring it out, gives me a chance to buy gas for my car, eat at least one meal a day, and have electricity at home haha.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
O B R
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#12]
buy the upper combo on sale now for $499

hang on to it for a while

see how you feel in the dead of winter and are looking for a project

or sell it next spring
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top