Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/20/2010 7:53:21 PM EDT
how is the mws better?

my lar-8 has a rifle length Daniel Defense quad rail on it, and shoots sub-moa groups consistently. It hasn't jammed once in the 200 rounds i've put through it. it also has an AMAZING trigger

I'm just wondering what makes the mws superior as it costs roughly double what the lar-8 costs with all my upgrades.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:05:46 AM EDT
social status
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:08:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2010 11:11:05 AM EDT by ARmory04]
Originally Posted By jwb47:
social status

Right. Read more, post less.

How about British army adoption for starters??

So, who has adopted the Rock River 308?

ETA: OP, if your RRA makes you happy, then by all means. But there is a price to be payed for quality, R&D'd rifles.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 12:27:39 PM EDT
Is a DPMS that has a DD rail and a nice trigger comparable to a LMT MRP or SR-15.....?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:21:50 PM EDT
If you need to ask this, then there is no helping you.

- The glaringly obvious difference is that 1 is a quick change setup designed by the manufacturing company and the RRA has nothing really different than what Bushmaster had before it.
- 1 was designed from the ground up with the outset of gaining military contracts. If RRA's intent was to do this, they failed big time.

That's just 2 immediate things I could think of. If you're happy with your LAR8, then I'm happy for you but using a comparison based solely off of accuracy and only 200 rounds at that is silly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:58:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lawman734:

- The glaringly obvious difference is that 1 is a quick change setup designed by the manufacturing company and the RRA has nothing really different than what Bushmaster had before it.
- 1 was designed from the ground up with the outset of gaining military contracts. If RRA's intent was to do this, they failed big time.

That's just 2 immediate things I could think of. If you're happy with your LAR8, then I'm happy for you but using a comparison based solely off of accuracy and only 200 rounds at that is silly.

wow, you're just an unpleasant guy aren't you... kinda sad really

nothing at all that i said indicated that i was under the impression that the rra was superior. I was asking a legitimate question, and i was hoping to get polite, intelligent answers from others. You begin your reply with condescension, and then it just gets worse.

if the best you can do is act like a smug A**hole, just stow your attitude, and keep your thoughts to yourself.

my question was quite clear WHAT MAKES THE MWS BETTER. I didn't imply that the RRA was equivalent, only that i didn't know of any significant differences that were not cosmetic. If you have something interesting or useful to add, please do so. If all you want to do is trash talk, save your breath
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:35:25 PM EDT
I have owned a RRA Varmint 223 for eight years and have used it a bunch...thousands of rounds and hundreds of varmints. It is accurate and reliable. I looked hard at the RRA LAR-8 Standard A4 before ordering the LMT MWS. If I wanted a good range rifle with a little hunting thrown in I would have bought the LAR-8 and felt good about it.. However, the LMT offers quick change barrels for both length, grade and soon caliber, so I got the LMT. RRA makes good guns...enjoy yours.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2010 3:15:53 PM EDT by TRIDENT1982]
Originally Posted By HuntsvilleSniper:

wow, you're just an unpleasant guy aren't you... kinda sad really

nothing at all that i said indicated that i was under the impression that the rra was superior. I was asking a legitimate question, and i was hoping to get polite, intelligent answers from others. You begin your reply with condescension, and then it just gets worse.

if the best you can do is act like a smug A**hole, just stow your attitude, and keep your thoughts to yourself.

my question was quite clear WHAT MAKES THE MWS BETTER. I didn't imply that the RRA was equivalent, only that i didn't know of any significant differences that were not cosmetic. If you have something interesting or useful to add, please do so. If all you want to do is trash talk, save your breath

He was being polite....he did not slam your LAR8, however the question you are asking sounds suspiciously like you are fishing for justification for not grabbing the MWS or whatever over your current LAR8....

Does your LAR8 support both CL heavy volume battle rifle barrels....and Rock SS 5R match grade barrels?

How bout does your LAR8 use a one piece aluminum chassis milled down from one single chuck of 8 lb. + aluminum bar stock,,,that supports the massive MWS barrel extensions that when combined with the rigidness of the chassis forms as close to a bolt gun barreled receiver as you can get?

Will your LAR8 soon be able to change into a .243 win., 6.5 grendel/creedmore, or the .260 rem. within a 2 min. time frame?

Does your LAR8 have a true monolithic rail that provides a true continuous top rail for optics and NV devices?

Is your LAR8 been awarded prestigious military rifle contracts and is it supported by top flight CS and QC from the mfg.?

Like Lawman said.....We could be here awhile, I am not being rude...nor was he, its just a pretty obvious diff. to most of us. I am sure your LAR8 is a great gun but its certainly not a MWS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:16:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TRIDENT1982:

He was being polite....he did not slam your LAR8, however the question you are asking sounds suspiciously like you are fishing for justification for not grabbing the MWS or whatever over your current LAR8....

Does your LAR8 support both CL heavy volume battle rifle barrels....and Rock SS 5R match grade barrels?

How bout does your LAR8 use a one piece aluminum chassis milled down from one single chuck of 8 lb. + aluminum bar stock,,,that supports the massive MWS barrel extensions that when combined with the rigidness of the chassis forms as close to a bolt gun barreled receiver as you can get?

Will your LAR8 soon be able to change into a .243 win., 6.5 grendel/creedmore, or the .260 rem. within a 2 min. time frame?

Does your LAR8 have a true monolithic rail that provides a true continuous top rail for optics and NV devices?

Is your LAR8 been awarded prestigious military rifle contracts and is it supported by top flight CS and QC from the mfg.?

Like Lawman said.....We could be here awhile, I am not being rude...nor was he, its just a pretty obvious diff. to most of us. I am sure your LAR8 is a great gun but its certainly not a MWS.

well, other than the mild sarcasm, which is understandable considering that you are under the impression that i'm fishing for justification, your reply was imminently helpful. I had no idea that the MWS had such features. The quick caliber change is a very interesting feature. I could certainly see the draw, as it's one of the things that drew me to my MSAR.

The monolithic rail would certainly be a huge improvement, assuming one wanted to use an NVD...

your reply was pretty much exactly what i was hoping to see. The information, and comparison certainly lead me to thing that the massive cost difference equates to a comparable value difference.

Were i likely to engage in combat, i'd almost certainly spend the extra funds, and certainly see how some would be willing to do so. For my uses, i doubt the MWS would ever realize it's full potential, but hell, i think i might want one, just so i know i have the best there is...

The LAR-8, after some pretty significant modification, is certainly a fantastic weapon, but it's not everything i'd want in a battle rifle if i knew my life would depend on it... looks like the MWS might be
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:54:38 PM EDT
.....you can certainly take a LAR8 and change out a couple of critical things like you have already done with the DD rail and a solid trigger unit...and I bet one can significantly increase the performance envelope of the LAR8 and turn a solid gun into a great gun....that said, the MWS comes straight outta the box with 5-6 major advantages that not just the LAR8 does not have but any other .308 AR as well. It was my bad for interpreting this thread a bit diff. than you had intended it to convey....given that these .308 AR threads have had so many threads requesting a comparison or info on one or more of these new guns and then you have 2-3 pages of fanboyism and people simply justifying their personal favorite or what they have purchased when more than likely having no understanding of the other offerings....I am a bit quick on the trigger shall we say
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:08:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARmory04:
social status

ETA: OP, if your RRA makes you happy, then by all means. But there is a price to be payed for quality, R&D'd rifles.

how about I dont care about the british adopting it . seems the brown bess was there weapon of choice aeound 1776 and it didnt work out to well for them now did it . maybe you should read more and post less .

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2010 7:06:07 PM EDT by TRIDENT1982]
social status

how about I dont care about the british adopting it . seems the brown bess was there weapon of choice aeound 1776 and it didnt work out to well for them now did it . maybe you should read more and post less .

Forget the military contract then and how about a confirmed kill on a taliban soldier in A-Stan at a shade under 1300m by a British Royal Marine Commando ....It worked for me when I was informed of that little nugget of truth recently.

Again this is not your everyday plinker....this weapon as we speak is actually busting bukku bad guys and doing it with rave reviews from the trigger pullers....while we enjoy LAR8's here at home and at the range.....the MWS is kicking ass and taking names. Just that simple.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:10:33 PM EDT
MWS inbound... anyone want a good deal on a DPMS LR308?
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2010 8:35:42 AM EDT by ArmedSuspect]
social status

Forget the military contract then and how about a confirmed kill on a taliban soldier in A-Stan at a shade under 1300m by a British Royal Marine Commando ....It worked for me when I was informed of that little nugget of truth recently.

Again this is not your everyday plinker....this weapon as we speak is actually busting bukku bad guys and doing it with rave reviews from the trigger pullers....while we enjoy LAR8's here at home and at the range.....the MWS is kicking ass and taking names. Just that simple.

i've been kinda busy lately and have spent little time on the interwebs... where is the info on the Brit kill? this will help put to rest the 16" barrel at *extended* ranges debate.

and for the *MWS* vs. *insert brand* debate...
MWS - PMags
LAR8 - FAL mags

MWS - no barrel nut, best rail / upper on the market, no need to change it
LAR8 - *special, proprietary barrel nut, can't use many parts on the market

MWS - CL MG steel barrel
LAR8 - 4140, non-CL

or for the SS barrel guys...
MWS - 1:11.25 5R SS
LAR8 - 1:10 SS

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 2:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2010 2:40:34 PM EDT by HuntsvilleSniper]
okay, well, since i'm the OP, i guess i'll be the one to finish this thread off.

I still think my lar-8 is a fantastic rifle, at least as good as any other in it's price range, and better than most, but it seems pretty evident to me, based on the info that has been provided that it is in absolutely no way the equal of the MWS carbine.

I have no intention of trading in my LAR-8. It's very accurate, and it suits my needs 100%, but the MWS is a true battle rifle...

my question has been answered.

nuff said
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 2:29:58 PM EDT
Well that's just it - if you're happy with your setup, then that ultimately is all that matters nor should you be shamed into selling it for something else.

It's just feature-wise, there are many differences between it and the MWS that justify, or at the very least - explain, the extra price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 4:16:48 PM EDT
I will make it simple,,,

LAR-8

MWS

Any questions
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:21:58 PM EDT
social status

http://cdn1.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/whecg_7-tfb.jpg

Could you provide more info on the near-1300m confirmed kill? A link if you have one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:57:28 AM EDT
My bet is he doen'st have any info on any confirmed kill....by the way, if I wanted a military weapon, I guess I'd be in the military....I've waited to post to the end here...enjoy your LAR-8. It's a fine rifle. I'm guessing those other folks are just jealous. Shrps74
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2010 3:35:41 PM EDT by ArmedSuspect]
Originally Posted By shrps74:
My bet is he doen'st have any info on any confirmed kill....by the way, if I wanted a military weapon, I guess I'd be in the military....I've waited to post to the end here...enjoy your LAR-8. It's a fine rifle. I'm guessing those other folks are just jealous. Shrps74

really? jealous? of what?!

as for the LMT kill... the information has come from a source that isn't public. there are some things that just shouldn't be fully disclosed on the interwebs. i have received the same information and from the same source as Trident. if he wishes to *fill you in* that's up to him... i wouldn't disclose it to you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:02:25 PM EDT
Huntsvillesniper,
You asked a good question about the comparison of these two rifles. However, DO NOT LET these gentlemen cowed you about your selection of the RRA LAR-8 rifle. I was a defense contractor a few years ago that got deployed to sandland. I was able to take my Bushmaster .308 20" rifle with me at the time. While I was deployed there, it performed well and did everything required of it and then some. I even was able to a get confirmed kill with it at 1,000 yards. So just remember, if you and your rifle perform well together, it is all that matters. So RRA just took the design and made it even better. ENOUGH SAID.

kingwolf

P.S. - What part of Texas are you located in Huntsvillesniper? I am in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:54:30 AM EDT
200rds

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:22:26 AM EDT
"as for the LMT kill... the information has come from a source that isn't public. there are some things that just shouldn't be fully disclosed on the interwebs. i have received the same information and from the same source as Trident. if he wishes to *fill you in* that's up to him... i wouldn't disclose it to you."

Gee....wouldn't disclose it....I think you just did...by the way, ain't no .308/7.62x51 round in existence that stays supersonic into 1300m (especially out of a 20" bbl)...if a kill was actually made, it was 100% not the target the shooter was aiming at...check your ballistics/science before you make such claims..Shrps74
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:30:07 AM EDT

i'm not poo-pooing the RRA guns. for what it's worth i think they're great rifles. sure, there are some features that i don't like but over all they're good guns.

the question here and the point of MY post is what makes the MWS better. IMHO the MWS is a better weapon but that doesn't make the RRA a shitty gun. i've had the chance to run all but the KAC and of ALL of them the LMT was MY top choice. the older Bushy / new RRA (shot both) was honestly below the Armalite rifles in my decision.

after 100 rounds of suppressed fire this weekend i finally cleaned my MWS. to this point the only thing i've done is run a boresnake a few times on the first time out. now, just over 800 rounds and there have been zero malfunctions. i'm at the point where i actually trust this weapon. after the crap ammo i ran through the suppressor and seeing that it didn't get all that dirty, didn't change POI, ran like a champ and hasn't malfunctioned i'm confident in my choice of guns.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:51:53 AM EDT
"as for the LMT kill... the information has come from a source that isn't public. there are some things that just shouldn't be fully disclosed on the interwebs. i have received the same information and from the same source as Trident. if he wishes to *fill you in* that's up to him... i wouldn't disclose it to you."

Gee....wouldn't disclose it....I think you just did...by the way, ain't no .308/7.62x51 round in existence that stays supersonic into 1300m (especially out of a 20" bbl)...if a kill was actually made, it was 100% not the target the shooter was aiming at...check your ballistics/science before you make such claims..Shrps74

well since Trijicon has the dope for a 1200yd shot already figured out, here, i would guess a trained marksman could make another 100 yds. play the wind correctly and you're good to go.

a U.S. Army sniper got 1250m with his 762, think a Brit can't get 1300?

Telegraph newspaper
"Gazing through the telescopic sight of his M24 rifle, Staff Sgt Jim Gilliland, leader of Shadow sniper team, fixed his eye on the Iraqi insurgent who had just killed a US soldier. His quarry stood nonchalantly in the fourth floor bay window of a hospital in battle torn Ramadi, still clasping a long barreled Kalashnikov. Instinctively allowing for wind speed and bullet drop, Shadow's commander aimed 12 ft high. A single shot hit the Iraqi in the chest and killed him instantly. It had been fired from a range of 1250 m, well beyond the capacity of the powerful Leupold sight, accurate to 1000 m. "I believe it is the longest confirmed kill in Iraq with a 7.62mm rifle," said Staff Sgt Gilliland, 28, who hunted squirrels in Double Springs, AL, from the age of 5 before progressing to deer - and then people. "He was visible only from the waist up. It was a one in a million shot. I could probably shoot a whole box of ammunition and never hit him again." Later that day, Staff Sgt Gilliland found out that the dead soldier was Staff Sgt Jason Benford, 30, a good friend. The insurgent was one of between 55-65 he estimates that he has shot dead in less than 5 months, putting him within striking distance of sniper legends such as Carlos Hathcock, who recorded 93 confirmed kills in Vietnam. One of his men, Specialist Aaron Arnold, 22, of Medway, OH, has chalked up a similar tally. "It was elating, but only afterwards," said Staff Sgt Gilliland, recalling the 27 September shot. "At the time, there was no high-fiving. You've got troops under fire, taking casualties and you're not thinking about anything other than finding a target and putting it down. Every shot is for the betterment of our cause." All told, the 10-strong Shadow sniper team, attached to Task Force 2/69, has killed just under 200 in the same period and emerged as the US Army's secret weapon in Ramadi against the threat of the hidden Improvised Explosive Device (IED) or roadside bomb - the insurgency's deadliest tactic. Above the spot from which Staff Sgt Gilliland took his record shot, in a room at the top of a bombed out observation post which is codenamed Hotel and known jokingly to soldiers as the Ramadi Inn, are daubed "Kill Them All" and "Kill Like you Mean it". On another wall are scrawled the words of Sen John McCain: "America is great not because of what she has done for herself but because of what she has done for others." The juxtaposition of macho slogans and noble political rhetoric encapsulates the dirty, dangerous and often callous job the sniper has to carry out as an integral part of a campaign ultimately being waged to help the Iraqi people. With masterful understatement, Lt Col Robert Roggeman, the Task Force 2/69 commander, conceded: "The romantic in me is disappointed with the reception we've received in Ramadi," a town of 400 000 on the banks of the Euphrates where graffiti boasts, with more than a degree of accuracy: "This is the graveyard of the Americans". "We're the outsiders, the infidels," he said. "Every time somebody goes out that main gate he might not come back. It's still a running gun battle." Highly effective though they are, he worries about the burden his snipers have to bear. "It's a very God-like role. They have the power of life and death that, if not held in check, can run out of control. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. "Every shot has to be measured against the ROE, positive identification and proportionality." Staff Sgt Gilliland explains that his Shadow team operates at the "borderlines" of the ROE, making snap judgements about whether a figure in the crosshairs is an insurgent or not. "Hunters give their animals respect," he said, spitting out a mouthful of chewing tobacco. "If you have no respect for what you do you're not going to be very good or you're going to make a mistake. We try to give the benefit of the doubt. "You've got to live with it. It's on your conscience. It's something you've got to carry away with you. And if you shoot somebody just walking down the street, then that's probably going to haunt you." Although killing with a single shot carries an enormous cachet within the sniper world, their most successful engagements have involved the shooting a up to 10 members of a single IED team. "The one-shot-one-kill thing is one of beauty but killing all the bad dudes is even more attractive," said Staff Sgt Gilliland, whose motto is "Move fast, shoot straight and leave the rest to the counsellors in 10 years" and signs off his e-mails with "silent souls make. 308 holes". Whether Shadow team's work will ultimately make a difference in Iraq is open to question. No matter how many insurgents they shoot, there seems no shortage of recruits to plant bombs. Col John Gronski, the overall US commander in Ramadi, said there could not be a military solution. "You could spend years putting snipers out and killing IED emplacers and at the political level it would make no difference." As they prepare to leave Iraq, however, Staff Sgt Gilliland and his men hope that they have bought a little more time for the country's politicians to fix peace and stability in their sights."

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:53:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ArmedSuspect:

i'm not poo-pooing the RRA guns. for what it's worth i think they're great rifles. sure, there are some features that i don't like but over all they're good guns.

the question here and the point of MY post is what makes the MWS better. IMHO the MWS is a better weapon but that doesn't make the RRA a shitty gun. i've had the chance to run all but the KAC and of ALL of them the LMT was MY top choice. the older Bushy / new RRA (shot both) was honestly below the Armalite rifles in my decision.

after 100 rounds of suppressed fire this weekend i finally cleaned my MWS. to this point the only thing i've done is run a boresnake a few times on the first time out. now, just over 800 rounds and there have been zero malfunctions. i'm at the point where i actually trust this weapon. after the crap ammo i ran through the suppressor and seeing that it didn't get all that dirty, didn't change POI, ran like a champ and hasn't malfunctioned i'm confident in my choice of guns.

I've considered buying the RRA LAR-8 since I have FALs already, but I went with a DPMS to play with, and have since ordered the LMT after shooting a local owners. The LMT MWS is pretty much the exact way I would build a combat/everyday .308/762x51, and it comes that way right out of the box. I've spent nearly that much on my DPMS just to make it comfortable...which now slighlty pisses me off, but hey, I have two bad arse guns (nearly...) instead of one.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:01:27 AM EDT

I agree the mws is a very interesting weapon and hope you enjoy yours . I do have a dog in this hunt it is an lar -8 , but that has nothing to do with my question . when you say no change in point of impact did you mean due to not cleaning or the addition of the suppresor. thanks for taking your time to answer this .

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2010 7:08:14 AM EDT by ArmedSuspect]

you may also want to read THIS

Certain well developed reloads in 308 are accurate enough to hit targets at 1300 yards; a full 50% longer than what the distance the Army takes as maximum effective.

and this, talking about a 762...
Manufacturers
agree it’s accurate to about 800 meters, but it will hit a target up to about 1,200 meters away (given there’s one heck of a marksman behind the weapon).

from here

i'm not the expert... i just read a lot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:03:10 AM EDT

I agree the mws is a very interesting weapon and hope you enjoy yours . I do have a dog in this hunt it is an lar -8 , but that has nothing to do with my question . when you say no change in point of impact did you mean due to not cleaning or the addition of the suppresor. thanks for taking your time to answer this .

both. i've not cleaned the gun in over 800 rounds and it's still POA / POI. again on the first day out i ran a boresnake while i was testing ammo and getting a zero. after that it's been untouched.

i was very impressed with the YHM suppressor on it. i didn't shoot for groups with the can on but it was hitting everything i pointed it at.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:37:56 AM EDT
I can tell you with certainty that you can hit a person at 1300M with a 7.62x51 rifle. It is not going to happen on the first shot most likely. The gun shoots a 2-3MIL group at that range, but a person occupies quite a bit of a 3.6m circle.

This is the strength of a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:17:42 AM EDT
thanks suspect I dont have a can yet maybe I will check out yhm.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:05:53 PM EDT
thanks suspect I dont have a can yet maybe I will check out yhm.

no prob. for the price it's tough to beat this thing.

when the Surefire 762 can gets here i'll be running them side by side to see which one i like best.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:24:33 AM EDT
Whast was the British sniper setup on that 1000+yard kill???
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:52:28 AM EDT
My RRA experiance is limitted to a 24" Varminter in 5.56 but it can shoot 3/4 moa with the right loads. Thousands of rounds with no problems. I don't shoot it too fast or in real long strings so the barrel is still very good. If you owm a RRA and it does what you bought it for, you don't owe any apologies to anyone. RRA makes good guns. Having said that I got to tell you that the LMT MWS rocks. These groups both have four measuring under.4" at 100 yards with one round out and the groups are still under .9". Ammo is Prvi Partizan 168 grain match. Velocity was 2410 fps. In the one photo the Prvi group is the one circled at the top of the page. The other group was BVAC 168 g A Max Match.

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:12:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DrDeath:
Whast was the British sniper setup on that 1000+yard kill???

Anyone??
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:39:25 AM EDT

no more details at this point
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:48:01 PM EDT
I'm down to these two for my next deer gun.....descisions!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:42:53 AM EDT
See the new thread on this supposedly LMT sniper stuff....as it turns out the LMT supporting poster was mis-informed from a very uninformed source that he wanted to keep quiet....now we know why...it wasn't an LMT at all, and it wasn't a 7.62 either. As I surmized, some folks on this board have never shot a 308 at 800 yards or beyound...or just can't understand the science of ballistics. Don't ask me how I know this, its not publically known...and I can't reveal my source. Shrps74
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:58:12 AM EDT
See the new thread on this supposedly LMT sniper stuff....as it turns out the LMT supporting poster was mis-informed from a very uninformed source that he wanted to keep quiet....now we know why...it wasn't an LMT at all, and it wasn't a 7.62 either. As I surmized, some folks on this board have never shot a 308 at 800 yards or beyound...or just can't understand the science of ballistics. Don't ask me how I know this, its not publically known...and I can't reveal my source. Shrps74

as a man who HAS shot the 308 over 800 yds i can tell you that it works just fine.

what are you claiming is your source that the original info is wrong? link?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:18:16 PM EDT
The LMT MWS and SR-25 have a direct linage back to the real original AR10 both in design, magazine, and who designed both rifles.

Everything else is an abortion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:37:07 PM EDT

as a man who HAS shot the 308 over 800 yds i can tell you that it works just fine.

what are you claiming is your source that the original info is wrong? link?

I agree in that I've also shot .308's over 800yds and on more than a few occasions over a 1000yds. While I don't think the .308 is an ideal choice for over 800yds - it'll certainly do the job if you know your weapon. There is no secret squirrel information on where I did it - I did it in the Marines and have done it for more than a few years since as a shooter.

I think he's referring to the thread Dr. Death started asking for information about a Brit shooting someone over 1000yds with an MWS. Of course there were several morons there where reading comprehension apparently is a problem for them and immediately referred to the 2600+yd shot with an AI AW.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:01:25 PM EDT
//snip//

I agree in that I've also shot .308's over 800yds and on more than a few occasions over a 1000yds. While I don't think the .308 is an ideal choice for over 800yds - it'll certainly do the job if you know your weapon. There is no secret squirrel information on where I did it - I did it in the Marines and have done it for more than a few years since as a shooter.

I think he's referring to the thread Dr. Death started asking for information about a Brit shooting someone over 1000yds with an MWS. Of course there were several morons there where reading comprehension apparently is a problem for them and immediately referred to the 2600+yd shot with an AI AW.

Semper Fi

the non-comprehension in that thread was strong.

a US Army sniper tagged a BG in Iraq at 1200 with his M24 and now all of a sudden a British Marine can't do the same or a touch more with a 308?

not the best tool for the job but if you were given a chance would you try it? hells yeah i would. if that's the best shot that you're gona get at some dirka then i say go for it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:43:50 PM EDT

Have you been serious with all your replies in this thread......I will refrain but there is THREE different members in this actually thread that have heard the exact same report from the exact same source and for you to somehow deduct that its b.s. is just you having some kinda little man agenda given nothing would support your position and in reality its 3-1 in terms of people informed and then yourself..aka, the mis-informed.

I did not worry about even seeing what you were blasting off about after your first reply but seeing that you went full Krazy now in this thread I figured I would reply again in this wonderful thread

It obviously goes without saying that I could care less whether a super informed gent like yourself believes the fact or not.

Just cause nobody is willing to disclose any cool info to you personally does not mean cool info is not being disclosed to others that perhaps are cooler than you
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:51:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 8:56:06 PM EDT by TRIDENT1982]
//snip//

Semper Fi

the non-comprehension in that thread was strong.

a US Army sniper tagged a BG in Iraq at 1200 with his M24 and now all of a sudden a British Marine can't do the same or a touch more with a 308?

not the best tool for the job but if you were given a chance would you try it? hells yeah i would. if that's the best shot that you're gona get at some dirka then i say go for it.

Close enough and I watched a program featuring the actual U.S. Army sniper who pulled the shot off....it was on the History Channel.

From wiki but same info can be found a number of other sources if somebody wants to fact check me......

" U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Jim Gilliland - Holds the record for the longest recorded confirmed kill with a 7.62mm rifle at 1,250 m (1,367 yd), while engaging an Iraqi insurgent sniper in Ramadi, Iraq on September 27, 2005. Gilliland used an M24 7.62mm rifle."

He smoked the BG who was standing on a balcony quite a number of stories up and he had use kentucky windage since his glass only had hash's out to1000m.......bottom line was ONE SHOT, ONE DEAD INSURGENT at a distance of over 1300yds.

Top Top