Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 4:41:21 AM EDT
May Shooting Times has a great article on the 458.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey you beat me to it!  I was gonna post this!
Only thing that got me about it was that he said he had his rifle for a couple years - but only getting around to a review now... hmmm.
Has a really pretty picture of FIRE coming out the barrel!  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Dave got his rifle back when we first came out with it.  He wrote two articles on it in 2002, one for Gun World and one for Precision Shooting.  He mentioned the 458 in several articles since.  He has wanted to write about it more but was somewhat hamstrung by the demands of his editors.  Look for more articles to come, several other folks have had the .458 and .338 in their hands for T&E.  Should be some footage coming available too from a T&E of most of the more common goodies we have put out.  Some more fun stuff is in the works ....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think he wrote it up in Precision Shooting.  It was the April 2002 issue of the Accurate Rifle if I am not mistaken.  The Gun World article was April of 2002 as well.  A year earlier in the April 2001 issue of Gun World, he wrote up the Tromix 50AE and 44 Mag.  

In this recent article, Fortier wrote that he got the gun from me two years ago, but it was more like four years ago.  It looks pretty good sporting that 14" Pac-Nor stainless barrel and the +2" integral brake.  Much nicer looking then a Beowulf.  ;-)

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#4]
You're right, Accurate Rifle, but they changed their name somewhere in that time frame too.  His velocities with the 14.5 are pretty healthy, we are looking at factory loads with Lil Gun.

Only comment is his closing paragraph regarding "factory" bolts.  When I designed the .338, there were no factory bolts of that size.  Several folks were running the 7 x 40 on the 30 Rem case in competition and doing what I was doing, making my own.  Now, the 6.8 bolts are standard item.  So "factory" is a relative term.  Add to that the fact that MGI will be offering high strength 308 size bolts and I would think it is a moot point.  The other is on the military use... back in 2004 it was reported in media that the .458 was in use with certain folks, but we never reiterated that publicly.  Given some of the outfall of the RRA .458 joint venture and I think he will be proven wrong... but those are minor items and info that he did not have when he wrote the article.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Hi everyone. Hope I am in the right forum. I've been reading a lot in the different forums and have to say I appreciate all the info exchanged. I ordered a new .458 Socom Monster and am waiting for it to come. Looking forward to lots of wonderful entertainment and hunting. I don't reload and hope that the factory loads become more readily available and less expensive. Any news on that? Anyways, I know it's going to be worth it. Keep posting...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top