Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2006 8:28:40 AM EDT
Im looking to get a 308 AR and was wondering what you guys though of the DPMS 308's semi autos. Good bad just so so.  I do not want a 556 in an ar pattern just need a 308 semi auto with a 24" barrel and free floated. DPMS has a model I like but uses SR-25 pattern mags. Really dont feel a rifle designed to shoot one kinda mag and then made to fit a mag from a different gun (AR-10's fal mags.) is really all that much better.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]
what are you talking about, AR10's dont use FAL mags? do you mean the bushy and RRA models 308's?

none the less the DPMS is a nice gun and work well, they are also one of the best values on the market at this time
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Since this is the forum for the ARMALITE AR10 (a trademarked name), you are gonna be told you should get an AR10.

The AR10 does not use FAL mags.  The now-defunct Bushmaster .308 did and now RRA is introducing basically the same rifle and the FAL mags are somehow going to magically work when about 3 mfgs have tried and failed to make them work before.

To find out about the DMPS .308, you should go to the DPMS section of the Industry board.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked at the DPMS 308s and didn't like what I saw . The fit and finish was not what I was looking for . Do your self a favor spend a little more money now and get  the one the only AR10 by Armalite !
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry I was under the false impression that AR-10's used the fal mags.
So the Armalite stuff uses the SR25 mags.
My bad .

Thanks to those who gave info on the DPMS It helped.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sorry I was under the false impression that AR-10's used the fal mags.
So the Armalite stuff uses the SR25 mags.
My bad .

Thanks to those who gave info on the DPMS It helped.

Nope, the ArmaLite has only used converted M14 mags and now ArmaLite is coming out with a new design that will work on the existing rifles.  The AR10 does not use SR25 mags.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks  Larry
I just went to the armalite site and looked at the Tech notes section. LOT of info there!!!!
I used to have a 180B but sold it for some cash for another project not gun related. Should not have done that and yes I want another one. When it comes to 556 im a oprod man.

I have decided an AR10T 7.62 or the SASS if it ever is available. Got to see a AR10A4 at a gunshop today.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, this is the variant section of the forums.  I can't speak for other rifles, but my DPMS LR308 with a 24" barrel shoots more accurately than my eyes can deal with.  With match Federal or BH, 1/2 MOA is pretty much standard at 100 yards, with a couple of 1/4 KMOA groups thrown in.  No failures, period.  Fit and finish are as good to my eye as any of the other rifles out there, having handled them on the range or in a gunshop.  Absolutely no slop at the pins.  I figure I paid for the rifle, not the name.  Just my opinion!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Im looking to get a 308 AR and was wondering what you guys though of the DPMS 308's semi autos. Good bad just so so.  I do not want a 556 in an ar pattern just need a 308 semi auto with a 24" barrel and free floated. DPMS has a model I like but uses SR-25 pattern mags. Really dont feel a rifle designed to shoot one kinda mag and then made to fit a mag from a different gun (AR-10's fal mags.) is really all that much better.

DPMS will work with their mags, SR-25 mags and the original AR-10 waffle mags.  The DPMS steel mags are really nice.  I've never had a malfunction with feeding or last-round hold-open.

There are a few other threads here dealing with how well the LR-308 shoots.  Excellent accuracy, fit and finish, and value.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually, this is the variant section of the forums.

Actually, this was started on the AR10 board and got moved after I posted.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top