Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/11/2006 8:53:29 PM EDT
Greetings
I'm currently financing a big bore AR project (50 Beowolf or 458 Socom). I been doing quite a bit of research and some of the FAQ's haven't necessarily answered my questions. So here it goes.

1. For those of you using Ace FX stocks: Does the 1" buttpad help reduce shoulder fatigue as much as the 1/2" buttpad?

2. Is the foam insert on the tube durable and tear resistant? (I hunt in heavy brush)?

3. For those of you using VLTOR rifle length stocks: How are you mounting the stock? Do you use the CAR Mil spec buffer/Vltor Tube with the pins inserted or do you mount using the receiver extension plug on a rifle length receiver extension/tube?

4. Finally, If shotgun shooters have yet to complain about M4/CAR collapsibles auto-collapsing on their uber tactical 12 gauge shotguns, how come it is such a problem for Beowolf/Socom AR's?

Thank you all for reading my previous posts regarding big bore AR questions.

LittleLamb
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:18:51 PM EDT
Good evening Lamb,

I cannot personally speak to the ACE/VLTOR questions, but I will tell you in response to your question #4 that if you're going big bore, it is definately worth investing money in a quality stock. These big guys are rough on the traditional collapsibles. I've heard quite a few stories about the RRA-type 6-position and the cheap import 4 positions auto-collapsing. This is not something you want to experience. Personally, I'm running a Magpul 93B on my Beowulf and couldn't be happier. I was looking into the VLTOR A2 type, but it takes a toll on teh chin whiskers. Be thee ware, once you get started on the big bores, there's no turning back.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:29:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 7:30:05 AM EDT by eklikwhoa]
i had the arfx stock on my beo not too long ago with the std. rubber and it worked great, with the 1" it feels even better.

now i am using an vltor a1 clubfoot to balance the rifle better and plan on getting the buttpad for it. i use the rifle length buffer tube with it so it mounts right up to it.

i use the mgi buffer and mgi 2x buffer spring in my beo and it helped reduce felt recoil a great bit and is the main thing that contributes to the easy shooting of my beowulf. look up twl in the equipment exchange, he is the mgi rep here at arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:25:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LittleLamb:
4. Finally, If shotgun shooters have yet to complain about M4/CAR collapsibles auto-collapsing on their uber tactical 12 gauge shotguns, how come it is such a problem for Beowolf/Socom AR's?

I think it's a greatly exaggerated problem.... I see people repeat that story every time stocks for big-bores come up, but the only first hand account I can remember was from Marty of Teppo Jutsu IIRC

Personally, I have fired thousands of 50 Beowulf rounds using a (already well used) Bushmaster 6-pos stock. I also have violently buttstroked the ground with it dozens of times when I had a problem with under-resizing my handloads. The pin hole that I use is slightly egged out, otherwise the stock shows no damage. I bet the butt-strokes with the stock fully extended have caused much more damage than firing the 50 Beowulf ever will.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:27:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 8:30:58 AM EDT by Big-Bore]
Caution using any type of collapsible stock on the big bore ARs.
ACE advertised its m4 SOCOM being used on the .50 BMG so I tried it on my .458 SOCOM. Well, I ended up with an 8 pound rifle hanging from my beard when it auto-collapsed on my .458 SOCOM. The cone locking pin sheared. ACE replaced the part immediately and said that they meant that it held up to the .50 BMG when fixed in position. Either I mis-read or they did not mention that it needed to be fixed (parts to fix are included with the stock kit). I then fixed the M4 SOCOM into position and it has been just fine since then. Still, if the ACE won't hold up to the .458 SOCOM then I would be wary of any holding up over the long haul.
And yes, that 1 inch soft rubber butt plate is a God send.
And no, I don't think the foam cover is very durable in heavy brush. It is easy to cut and playing with a small piece of it I found it is not very resistant to abrasion.

The VLTOR Clubfoot that I have on my 6.8 must use either their buffer tube, Colt's, or other absolute mil-spec tube.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:55:25 PM EDT
This is my set up. Ace stock with a Pachmeyr pad. Works fine, but I do have to watch the bottom roll pin on the stock, it has a tendency to loosen and back out after a while.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:50:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Caution using any type of collapsible stock on the big bore ARs.
ACE advertised its m4 SOCOM being used on the .50 BMG so I tried it on my .458 SOCOM. Well, I ended up with an 8 pound rifle hanging from my beard when it auto-collapsed on my .458 SOCOM. The cone locking pin sheared. ACE replaced the part immediately and said that they meant that it held up to the .50 BMG when fixed in position. Either I mis-read or they did not mention that it needed to be fixed (parts to fix are included with the stock kit). I then fixed the M4 SOCOM into position and it has been just fine since then. Still, if the ACE won't hold up to the .458 SOCOM then I would be wary of any holding up over the long haul.
And yes, that 1 inch soft rubber butt plate is a God send.
And no, I don't think the foam cover is very durable in heavy brush. It is easy to cut and playing with a small piece of it I found it is not very resistant to abrasion.

The VLTOR Clubfoot that I have on my 6.8 must use either their buffer tube, Colt's, or other absolute mil-spec tube.

i had the same problem with a few of the ace socrap stocks. did a review on the ones i had in the collapsable stock tacked thread. the arfx stocks work nice but its a simple design.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:39:11 AM EDT
I am using the Vltor Carbine adjustable clubfoot stock on my 458. With 3 or 4 hundred rounds, it is holding up fine. I am also running the MGI rate reducing buffer, and that helps greatly. I have the Socom slip on rubber pad, and have decided to remove it. To date I have no looseness, rounding of holes or auto collapsing. As the lower is a QCB, the stock has also been used with countless 22 LR's and 5.56 rounds.

As the Vltor is a quality product, and the parts fit together snugly, I would hazard a guess that any type of failure would have to be a pin shearing. It takes a fair amount of effort to change the postion of the stock, not at all likely to happen inadvetantly. So far, so good.

Craig
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:12:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 1:14:32 PM EDT by uafgrad]

Greetings
I'm currently financing a big bore AR project (50 Beowolf or 458 Socom). I been doing quite a bit of research and some of the FAQ's haven't necessarily answered my questions. So here it goes.

1. For those of you using Ace FX stocks: Does the 1" buttpad help reduce shoulder fatigue as much as the 1/2" buttpad? I have only used the 1" because of LOP, so I cant really say. The ARFX stock was comfortable though on my 458. Despite the warnings, I am currently playing with a Ace Socom and havent had any trouble.

2. Is the foam insert on the tube durable and tear resistant? (I hunt in heavy brush)? Mine has held up pretty well. You can always replace it if it gets shreaded.

3. For those of you using VLTOR rifle length stocks: How are you mounting the stock? Do you use the CAR Mil spec buffer/Vltor Tube with the pins inserted or do you mount using the receiver extension plug on a rifle length receiver extension/tube?

4. Finally, If shotgun shooters have yet to complain about M4/CAR collapsibles auto-collapsing on their uber tactical 12 gauge shotguns, how come it is such a problem for Beowolf/Socom AR's? I havent had a problem with mine, yet. I know that it may break the stock and I will be out my money though. There is a gun dealer in town who shoots 50wulf. He has shot hundreds of full power rounds with his SOCOM and not had a problem. That is why I tried mine out.

LittleLamb

I should add that I am using the MGI rate reducing buffer in my stock also
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:22:22 AM EDT

Greetings

1. For those of you using Ace FX stocks: Does the 1" buttpad help reduce shoulder fatigue as much as the 1/2" buttpad? Yes

2. Is the foam insert on the tube durable and tear resistant? (I hunt in heavy brush)? NO, but you can replace it easily with armaflex tubing like is used in refrigeration and airconditioning

3. For those of you using VLTOR rifle length stocks: How are you mounting the stock? Do you use the CAR Mil spec buffer/Vltor Tube with the pins inserted or do you mount using the receiver extension plug on a rifle length receiver extension/tube? Dunno- I think the VLTOR's are ugly (I'm sure to catch hell for that one...)

4. Finally, If shotgun shooters have yet to complain about M4/CAR collapsibles auto-collapsing on their uber tactical 12 gauge shotguns, how come it is such a problem for Beowolf/Socom AR's? I had an RRA collapsible on my Beowulf before I used the ARF-X with no difficulties.

LittleLamb

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:21:34 AM EDT
RRA 6 position never once collapsed on me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:28:26 PM EDT
I use a Vltor, A2 Clubfoot on my 458 SOCOM, I have over 1k rounds down the rifle, all with this stock. I guess I cant talk from the ACE nor the collapsing standpoint. My Vltor was mounted using the rifle tube plus the ext and screw which came with the stock.

Personally, I think the A2 is great for the SOCOM, and I like UAFGRAD, have a MGI rate reducing buffer. However, I never thought the 458 SOCOM was that hard on the sholder. Granted Im used to shooting a 300 WBY mag bolt gun on a semi regular basis as well.

I hear alot of rumors of the collasping stock issues but I havent seen any people step up and say "it happened to me" and also, when and IF it does, take some PICS! Id like to see the stock etc, just for info of course.

Alot of people seem to like the ACE for the soft cheek piece which would be a nice advantage for extended range sessions. I just picked up a Magpul PRS, will see how it fairs this weekend with the 458 SOCOM, if the weather plays along.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:59:42 AM EDT
Cold

I will be interested in your take on the PRS

I have one on my 243WSSM and on my AR10 and love them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:45:07 PM EDT
I am using the VLTOR A1 stock with rifle length tube and their short screw on this 500 P AR15. My 458 has a chop mod of an A2 with no buttpad and I have no problems with it.

Top Top