Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:52:29 PM EDT
Has anyone attempted to use either caliber in an ar15 and does anyone know of a source for barrel and bolts? I wanted to get a Bowen Alpine Redhawk and an Ar 15 barrel and bolt in the matching caliber would be nice thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Has anyone attempted to use either caliber in an ar15 and does anyone know of a source for barrel and bolts? I wanted to get a Bowen Alpine Redhawk and an Ar 15 barrel and bolt in the matching caliber would be nice thanks.

The rim on the .45 Colt and Casull is .512, roughly the same as the .50AE.  Your challenges will be a) avoiding bolt lug shearing and b) feeding.  The .454 Casull I would give the lowest probability of success as it is longer and runs at a higher pressure.  Feeding the long straight cases proves next to impossible (ask either Tony, Randall or myself, we've tried).  The .45 Colt could perceivably feed from Desert Eagle mags, but these have an issue in that the angle at which the top cartridge is presented to the chamber varies with the number of rounds in the mag.  Then there is the issue with the rimmed round and making the chamber such that the AR extractor still works.  Tony Rumore built all of 4 uppers in .44 Magnum and after that stopped because they are so difficult to get to feed reliably.  

So in a nutshell, it could be done, THEORETICALLY, but your probability of success is likely to be quite low ...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information marty. Guess I'll have to go with a Marlin 1894 then.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
beowulf rifle and revolver.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe you could make one using the 45 win mag case?  Should be close in performance.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
to shoot a 454 you would have to sell your car. Ammo is verrry pricey.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top