Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 4:42:13 PM EDT
So my buddy wants a .308 AR. I've been heading towards an FAL, so I tried to turn him, but he is dead set on an AR platform....

So what's the best and what is the most affordable?

Armalite?
DPMS?
Bushmaster?
Upcoming RRA?

Anything I'm missing?

Magazines and parts availability is a plus...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
rule out bushmaster.  the rra will have the cheapest mags, but not yet available.  the armalites are expensive, eagles cheaper, new mags out soon i think.  the dpms are probably the most affordable.  ff railed tubes are available for all.  cant go wrong with any, if the rra works out.  i dont think any company really has the edge over another.

if building use armalite/eagle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
ill repeat what i said on another thread

go with the armalite, they are readily availible, and there customer sevice is great so in the event that it does have an issue, the company will stand behind it, all AR maunfactures have issues from time to time, this includes colt, lmt and FN, no one manufacture is perfect,

the dpms is a better value and can give you the same preformence and reliability as the armalite, but the trade off is a one year warrenty opposed to a lifetime warrenty

another issue to think about is with RRA, is that as a trade off for using cheep mags, the original design was drastically changed from the original design, insted of feeding from the left and right, it feeds from the center, thus opening a new can of worms to a design that works well, but RRA has a lifetime warrenty and should cover there product, unless the design is dropped like bushmaster

even Kngihts is not perfect, although they may have great QC they have awful customer servirce as a result of military contracts

personly i would stay away from the RRA untill it is established in the market, just remeber when bushmaster was trying to sell it, I am sure in time it could be a decent gun, and will enjoy the same amount of aftermarket support as armalite and dpms

all in all, the dpms and armalite are great guns, its just what you feel is the best for you
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Even though the Bushmaster is no longer made, you can still get a 16" bbl, A2 style from CDNN for $1300.00.  Not exactly a bargain for a gun that will probably get very little support from the manufacturer.  If he is hooked on the FAL magazine concept, wait for the RRA version and ignore the internet rantings concerning the FAL-feed design - there is nothing wrong with it.  True, the Bushmasters broke some bolts, but it was in an area unrelated to the lock-up of the action.  From what I understand, the bolt has been re-designed in the RRA version.

If you were to take all three together, I would say that they are of comparable quality and your decision would end up being based on price and/or available accessories.  So in an ARFCOM fashion, buy both, post pics and a range report. Then tell us which one is best.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Armalite

Life-time warranty
chrome-lined barrels available
Proven System
Great customer Service IMHO
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
rule out bushmaster. the rra will have the cheapest mags, but not yet available. the armalites are expensive, eagles cheaper, new mags out soon i think. the dpms are probably the most affordable. ff railed tubes are available for all. cant go wrong with any, if the rra works out. i dont think any company really has the edge over another.

IT IS THE SAME RIFLE, the poll should have combined the Bushmaster and the RRA as one choice.  I often wonder, did the DPMS folks buy their DPMS rifle because of the name and its reputation, or was it because it was the cheapest .308 AR-type rifle on the market?
It seems these things really took off after being released.  No flame, just asking.

B_S
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I often wonder, did the DPMS folks buy their DPMS rifle because of the name and its reputation, or was it because it was the cheapest .308 AR-type rifle on the market?
It seems these things really took off after being released.  No flame, just asking.

B_S

I was interested in it because it was cheaper. Then I realized it is CHEAPER with no chrome barrel. That's when I got an armalite that shoots just as accurately.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]
i think that if RRA can get it to work for 500 to 600 less than when bushmaster was producing it go for it,

but untill it comes out there are only two options, armalite or dpms,  does he want one now to shoot over summer or does he want to wait untill fall
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So my buddy wants a .308 AR. I've been heading towards an FAL, so I tried to turn him, but he is dead set on an AR platform....

So what's the best and what is the most affordable?

Armalite?

I have one and it works very well. I get about 1.5MOA, which is better than advertised, and certainly better than accpetable, but less than some get. I would buy another. The only drawback was finding a buffer that would allow me to use the CAR stock. Eventually I found one at DPMS. The buffers I got from Slash here at arfcom let me operate the weapon, but the last round hold open would not function. Now that I have the DPMS buffer the bolt hold open works.

DPMS?

I have never operated one.

Bushmaster?

I have one and the bolt broke at about 150 rounds. It now works fine, but I really can't trust it. If it continues to operate properly then I will consider changing my attitude towards the rifle. The other drawback is that it has  midlength handguards and you can't put a collapsible stock on it. I have short arms, so the CAR staock is necessary for me from an ergonomic point of view. The midlength handguards mean that you can't get double shielded standard type handguards, and if you get a rail forend, you have to do surgery on it with a Dremel to get the top half to fit. Supposedly RRA has solved the CAR stock thing, so that may not be a problem.

Upcoming RRA?

The RRA is the same as the Bushmaster .308 with the bugs worked out supposedly.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
rule out bushmaster. the rra will have the cheapest mags, but not yet available. the armalites are expensive, eagles cheaper, new mags out soon i think. the dpms are probably the most affordable. ff railed tubes are available for all. cant go wrong with any, if the rra works out. i dont think any company really has the edge over another.

IT IS THE SAME RIFLE, the poll should have combined the Bushmaster and the RRA as one choice.  I often wonder, did the DPMS folks buy their DPMS rifle because of the name and its reputation, or was it because it was the cheapest .308 AR-type rifle on the market?

B_S

rule out bushmaster because they are no longer produced.  when i got my dpms only options were armalite, eagle, asa, or dpms (as far as i knew).  all the eagle/armalite targets were much more expensive than the dpms for similiar features.  and the reviews were good as hell.  spring '03.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
My Busmaster .308 has worked just fine so far. I figure I've put 600 + rounds thru it. It's alot more fun to shoot than the .223
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on what your buddy wants.

If you want a "combat" firearm, I'd go with the Armalite AR10A4 for $1500 MSRP.  Unfortunately their AR10T is $2k MSRP.  Because of this I'd lean towards a DPMS in the $1200 MSRP range.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I cant believe some guys voted for RRA when the gun is not even out yet.

I vote Armalite, although if you're on a buget go DPMS
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Although you must make up your own mind, grasshopper, my Eagle Arms has been flawless and shoots way better than advertised/promised.  I assure you that the shooter is not a factor in its excellent accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top