Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2006 8:06:30 AM EDT
What would be the better route to go with? I know RRA hasnt released theirs yet to the public but I have been reading up on it and it seems like they ironed out all the issues that was there when BM was producing them. What is the difference between the two? Upper receiver? or basically the whole rifle?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the DPMS AP4.  I have a 3000 series gun and I love it.  I have just got to play with a 5000 series gun and dpms is constantly improving the guns.  The newest models have a much better FH than the original.  The newer one worked perfect when loaded to 20 rounds and fed 100 plus rounds of SA ammo right out of the box.

Mine will now match all of this, but it definitely took some breaking in.  The newer one just felt better out of the box.  For the money, I don't think you can beat them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
the rra have better barrel options, cheaper price, and hopefully a properly hardened bolt.  think they were saying summer '06 availability.  even the dpms is hard to get a hold of.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
between the two, I'd take the DPMS. Nothing against RRA, I like RRA and will probably get a 458 Upper from them. What I don't like is a new unproven design to fix a problem that doesn't exist. You are just asking for it with the new feeding design using FAL mags that aren't designed for AR's bolt  & locking lugs.

The DPMS will have alot more aftermarket accessories available.

That being said, I've never fired either. I had the choice of a DPMS or an ArmaLite. I took the ArmaLite.  Better Accessories, Same accuracy, Better Warranty. Better Mags (at least should be in the next couple of months)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Disagree.....The DPMS steel mags are really excellent and are superior to the M14-based solution in every way, particualrly in that they feed vertically. That alone put them out ahead of the AR-10.
I was looking to see the new AR-10 mags at SHOT but they weren't on show.

You can get more bits for the AR-10, including the excellent but eye wateringly expensive DD rail.
In time I reckon these will be available for the LR-308 too.

Simon
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
DPMS - I would eait on RR until you see what it is - they won't be out until Aug or later so keep your panties dry.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Disagree.....The DPMS steel mags are really excellent and are superior to the M14-based solution in every way, particualrly in that they feed vertically. That alone put them out ahead of the AR-10.
I was looking to see the new AR-10 mags at SHOT but they weren't on show.

You can get more bits for the AR-10, including the excellent but eye wateringly expensive DD rail.
In time I reckon these will be available for the LR-308 too.

Simon

DD already does make a barrel nut for the DPMS upper.  I am using a DD AR-10 7.0 on my .500 Phantom build (based on the DPMS upper and lower) so I went over this with them completely.  If you want a DD AR-10 upper for the DPMS you just need to specify that you want the 308-LR DPMS barrel nut.  No additional charge.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top