Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/5/2006 12:15:11 PM EDT
Rock River has announced they will be showing a .308 AR rifle at the SHOT Show. Taken from >THIS< thread.

Quoted:
We'll be debuting a .308 at the SHOT Show, with late summer availability.
More details to follow.
Steve/RRA

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet wonder what kind of mags it will use.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sweet wonder what kind of mags it will use.

They haven't said yet. I just hope they aren't FAL mags.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
they'll probably use super high quality mags like Armalite's first ones.......

eta: Shivan....it was a joke....posted after i had waaaaayyyyyy too much to drink

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
oh hell.  now I gotta go count the mad money in my safe....

Woody
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Would be SO SWEET if they could make it us G3/HK93 mags......(Just scored 50 alum/50 steel from TAPCO)

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Type of mags used and affordability are key notes for me.
A 308 AR that uses good readily available magazines (preferably less expensive ones) and doesn't cost
a left testicle would be really great.
RRA makes good stuff so I'll be watching this one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
they'll probably use super high quality mags like Armalite's first ones.......

Huh??

Armalite's first ones are the Stoner designed AR10 mags.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
cool, but for some reason i think that this is going to be a oberland arms cloan, I see G3 mags being used,  its the only 308 mag that hasnt been tried yet,

fwiw both DPMS and Armalite resolved initial mag probelms with new production mags

with all this complaining about mags you would think that the 7.62 Ar has the same reliability as a Tech9
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
The HK417 runs G3 mags but with a paddle release. Like a Franken HKAR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting.

from linked thread...

RRAMODERATOR
Industry Partner

It will not be G3 mags.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Aye, they are rollmarking it "LAR-10"........

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The HK417 runs G3 mags but with a paddle release. Like a Franken HKAR.

And has no bolt hold back feature due to the use of G3 mags
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm hoping that they'll design a decent 20 and 30 rounder made for the reciever and not try to adapt or use aftermarket ones.

A job worth doing, is worth doing right.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Once upon a time a few yrs back RR was said to have a .308 that used FAL mags...
They decided against bringing it to market...dont know why.

A year or two later Bushmaster brought theirs to market..and that too used FAL mags....

Hopefully whatever it is RR has the bugs worked out a head of time with mucho testing..

If anybody can do it RR's engineers can.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought I had read somewhere (I honestly can't recall now though), that RRA had a patent approved for a .308 based AR which used FAL mags and that they had sold the rights to Bushmaster.

I'll see if I can't dig it up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I had heard the "RRA sold Bushy the design" rumor too. From what was presented, it seemed pretty truthful.

Hopefully RRA didn't just buy the design back from Bushy, and if they did, hopefully they will fix the problem.

I'd still cringe at the use of FAL mags, but if RRA does retry this route this route I'm sure they'll find a way to make it right. (Still hoping for SR25/original AR10/DPMS mags.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, sweet Jesus! You guys are killing me. I'm going need to keep eating Ramen and get a bigger safe (or get another safe).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Bring it on.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hopefully RRA didn't just buy the design back from Bushy, and if they did, hopefully they will fix the problem.

Which was?

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#20]
They needed to take a lug off the bolt, because the rounds feed from the center of the FAL mag. So they didn't have enough lugs to take the pressure and their bolts kept breaking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They needed to take a lug off the bolt, because the rounds feed from the center of the FAL mag. So they didn't have enough lugs to take the pressure and their bolts kept breaking.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I thought I had read somewhere (I honestly can't recall now though), that RRA had a patent approved for a .308 based AR which used FAL mags and that they had sold the rights to Bushmaster.

I'll see if I can't dig it up.

+1 I Remember hearing the same!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#23]
*TAG*

A prototype pic would be nice....... RRA can you provide us one ???

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The missing lug on the Bushmaster was the center lug on the bottom of the barrel extension, not on the bolt.

On an AR15, AR10, SR25, the rounds feed to either side of the center lug.

Since the FAL mag feeds toward the center, leaving the lug in place would cause feeding problems, and deleting it increased the stresses induced on every other lug, leading to bolt failures.

Troy posted about this in a little greater detail a while back, and the Armalite industry forum here has a tacked thread about why Armalite didn't use FAL mags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#25]
My bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The missing lug on the Bushmaster was the center lug on the bottom of the barrel extension, not on the bolt.

On an AR15, AR10, SR25, the rounds feed to either side of the center lug.

Since the FAL mag feeds toward the center, leaving the lug in place would cause feeding problems, and deleting it increased the stresses induced on every other lug, leading to bolt failures.

Troy posted about this in a little greater detail a while back, and the Armalite industry forum here has a tacked thread about why Armalite didn't use FAL mags.

Funny, my BAR10 is NOT missing the six o'clock lug on the barrel extension (or any other lug for that matter) contrary to conventional wisdom being posted in these forums.  While the lug is relieved (beveled as though you took an M4 cut and extended it all the way across to create a feed ramp effect) the lug is definately still there.  I wish I had the facilities to post a picture to put this myth to rest once and for all.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:00:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

No lugs are removed from the bolt and none are missing on my BM .308, the ramp feeds from the 5.5 and the 6.5 location on the barrel extension.

If you get a chance to come to one of our shoots, let me know and I will tear down mine and show it to you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Glad to hear this
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been thinking of getting a 308AR...tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#31]

No lugs are removed from the bolt and none are missing on my BM .308, the ramp feeds from the 5.5 and the 6.5 location on the barrel extension.

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone else get the new RRA catalog in the mail today?  Pics and info on the new .308's.  They take FAL mags and look very much like the late Bushy BAR-10's.  I have a scan, but don't know if I should post it or not.

Reasonable prices too.  Me want.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Anyone else get the new RRA catalog in the mail today?  Pics and info on the new .308's.  They take FAL mags and look very much like the late Bushy BAR-10's.  I have a scan, but don't know if I should post it or not.

Reasonable prices too.  Me want.

yup i got mine today to and damn if if dont look like bushmasters .308.

but ironicly it is price right around what dpms is charging for their .308s.

varmint a-4  price is $1,350
standard a2/a4
a2-$1,145
a4-$1,100
mid-length a2/a4
a2-$1,150
a4-$1,100

very decent prices for an .308 ar that takes fal mags.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I swear in the other thread about this that the RRA guy said it definitely will not take FAL mags...

Edit:

Oops, I went back and read it again and it was about G3 mags.  Guess I should have reread it before posting
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I swear in the other thread about this that the RRA guy said it definitely will not take FAL mags...

well who ever got febuary 2006 rock river arms catalog cant all be seeing things.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well who ever got febuary 2006 rock river arms catalog cant all be seeing things.

Nope, you're all good. I edited my stupid post already
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Exactly.  They certainly do take FAL mags according to the red text that says, "FAL (Metric) or L1A1 (Inch) Mags".
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, you're all good. I edited my stupid post already

ty you had me worried i was seeing things again.

shit im saving up money this time for this ar. its rra's cant be all bad little bit more  than dpms but fal mags are what 5 bucks a peice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Two things:

1) I hope they offer chrome lining immediately.
2) I hope they use better/different bolt materials.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two things:

for the varmint a4 variant it will have a 26 inch wilson air guaged bull stainless steel with a 1:10 twist

all others from what im seeing will be chrome-moly.

one thing i forgot to add they all will have national match two stage triggers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep....all (aside from the varmint model) appear to have Wilson chrome moly barrels with a 1:10 twist.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#42]
it appears rock river arms made a mess up they sent sevral hundred catalogs out over this past weekend they were not supposed to be shipped untill after the shotshow so those of us that got them early got lucky.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got the book...

Looks like they will have a model with a 26" SS Wilson airgauged barrel with free float on it.

Get this the....... Dealer Cost is about 35% less than the Armalite AR-10T dealer cost.

And it does appear to be using Fal mags
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
all others from what im seeing will be chrome-moly.

That's disappointing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm really interested in what Rock River did to fix the bolt breakage problem.

I hope for everyone's sake that they didn't just buy the design back from Bushmaster and leave it as it was. While the breaking bolts weren't that numerous compared to how many rifles were sold, it's still enough that it scared me away from it when Bushy was selling them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Interesting. I think they have it priced right. I'd also prefer a chrome-lined barrel but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Even if it is the same as the BM rifle, I've read a lot more satisfed owner reviews than not. Although few rifles  reviewed are high round count.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm really interested in what Rock River did to fix the bolt breakage problem.

I hope for everyone's sake that they didn't just buy the design back from Bushmaster and leave it as it was. While the breaking bolts weren't that numerous compared to how many rifles were sold, it's still enough that it scared me away from it when Bushy was selling them.

What concerns me more is that most of the people who bought the Bushie's never really ran a significant amount of rounds through them.   When they did, they were rewarded with a bolt problem.

So if the design is the Bushie design, unmodified, using similar material in the bolt -- I would suspect that when shooter's approach 1,500rds or so of NATO ammo they might start checking for cracks, etc.

Of three people I have seen write about the Bushie, and who shot more than 1,000rds they all had bolt issues.  I believe Steve at ADCO saw a few problems in less rounds.

I hope, for RRA's sake, that they worked it out.  Since I like RRA...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#48]
26" ss wilson.  sweet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two things:

Their is no reason for Chrome Lining!  They only used that in MIL weapons to help with Corrison and Barrel life.  To a Civvie it should not matter!

Ant
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#50]
For fucks' sake....RRA, are you listening?

Make the standard models fucking chrome lined, for fuck's sake.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top