Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Can someone scan this early release catalog?  I'll be happy to host the pics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
im supprised the only new rifle were talking about is the .308. there is a another new rifle in there for around $1,065 in a much bigger caliber.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Their....There is no reason for Chrome Lining!

You buy what you want.  Some folks might still have surplus ammo that isn't very friendly on chambers or bores of non-lined weapons.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can someone scan this early release catalog?  I'll be happy to host the pics.

Yes please.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Chrome-lining will probably be an option/upgrade later on.

That is a better tact than Bushmaster took.  I'm glad to hear it.  I bet your sales JUMP a lot when it happens too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd also only really be interested in chrome lined, and quite frankly I could do without the two-stage business.

I'll second the other concern of Shivan's, that they had better make changes to the Bushmaster product or they're just going to wind up producing still more boat anchors.

If all really works out I'm going to kick myself like crazy since I just sold my FAL and all 25 mags.

No matter what, I'm in the market for a .308 AR NOW and I wouldn't buy a RRA until it's been on the market for at least a year.  How long between initial release "WOW" and the final "WOAH" of the BMs?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Crazy Horse,
You are correct. There's another neat new rifle in there, too.
Bore diameter is almost half again that of the .308....
Quite a fun rifle.
Steve/RRA

i was waiting to see what .308 you were going to bring out when i saw it i said hell yah the midlength would be a good deer rifle.

the .458 socom is at a very decent price right around the cheapest .308 ar and will take down almost anything in north america game wise.

im glad i got mine catalog early even though we were not supposed to get it till after the shotshow.

i like how the new catalog looks biger and more easier to read.

and congratulations on your guys tenth anniversery.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You buy what you want.  Some folks might still have surplus ammo that isn't very friendly on chambers or bores of non-lined weapons.

I will buy what I want!  However, there is still NO reason for Chrome Lining!  Since you will be able to clean the rifle right after you shoot it!  CHROME LINING was intended on use on the battle field! Due to the FACT they couldnt clean it right after use.....

--EDITED--OverBored

The other caliber that RRA is debuting is the 458 SOCOM....

ant
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will buy what I want!  However, there is still NO reason for Chrome Lining!  Since you will be able to clean the rifle right after you shoot it!  CHROME LINING was intended on use on the battle field! Due to the FACT they couldnt clean it right after use.....

How about ease of extraction?  Less throat erosion?  Less wear on the barrel?  Barrier between the barrel steel and possible lightly copper washed steel projectiles?  That ring a bell?

Or maybe some people don't shoot 100rds and call it a day on the range?  Hmm...

Chromelined bores and chambers are an inexpensive insurance policy on any weapon that is chambered in one of many military surplus rounds.

--Edited--

--OverBored

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#14]
rra question the .308 ars will be out sometime in the summer right.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The rifle is debuting at SHOT, but won't be available until this summer.  

Would be nice if it could get to market before the potential Illiban

It will use either L1A1 (read 30rd mags are out there) or FAL mags.
Steve/RRA

Awesome, as long as they work (and don't make the receiver an inch longer).
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It will use either L1A1 (read 30rd mags are out there) or FAL mags.
Steve/RRA

Steve, thank you for chiming in. It sounds like you guys have a hit, but I was wondering to what extent you had to modify the system. For instance, could a guy put a new RRA bolt in an old Bushmaster? Will the barrels be interchangable between the series? Could someone put a complete RRA upper on a Bushmaster BAR10 lower or vice versa?

Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Edited.  Please keep the thread on topic.

--OverBored
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Tagged  I want to know about bolt issue.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The bolt issue is a moot point since many speculated that the bolt modification for the FAL mags thus weakened the bolt, it was actually not the problem and has been found to be a flaw in the hardening of the bolt in the Bushmasters.

If RRA manufacturers a .308 using FAL mags it should never be an issue and I would be more than happy to own one from RRA, uncomplicated and functional is not an oversight buy any weapons manufacturer.

Now, where are those rifles?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bolt issue is a moot point since many speculated that the bolt modification for the FAL mags thus weakened the bolt, it was actually not the problem and has been found to be a flaw in the hardening of the bolt in the Bushmasters.

Why did Bushmaster keep producing them that way then? One would think they would have fixed the problem as production kept going long after these issues became well known.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about ease of extraction?  Less throat erosion?  Less wear on the barrel?  Barrier between the barrel steel and possible lightly copper washed steel projectiles?  That ring a bell?

Or maybe some people don't shoot 100rds and call it a day on the range?  Hmm...

Chromelined bores and chambers are an inexpensive insurance policy on any weapon that is chambered in one of many military surplus rounds.

--Edited--

--OverBored

Also with Chrome lining you will lose Accuracy!  Since it is a Coating and that can leave rought spots in the barrel.  Just a thought, High Power or competition shooters dont use Chrome Lining!  I'm talking about those that shoot for accuracy.....So I really dont see why peoeple really need to have chrome Lining.  But to each is own!

BTW DPMS doest use CL and their guns are pure tack drivers!

Ant
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Also with Chrome lining you will lose Accuracy!  Since it is a Coating and that can leave rought spots in the barrel.  Just a thought, High Power or competition shooters dont use Chrome Lining!  I'm talking about those that shoot for accuracy.....So I really dont see why peoeple really need to have chrome Lining.  But to each is own!

BTW DPMS doest use CL and their guns are pure tack drivers!

Ant

Accuracy isn't degraded by the chrome lining, it's degraded by the way it is applied. Chrome lining when done right is super accurate. Many companies/people/places aren't so strict about the process though.

For instance, I've seen AK barrels that looked like they splattered it on. Then there's rifles like the FN SPR which shoot 1/2 MOA all day long with chrome lining. It's all in the quality of the process.

ETA: Chromed or not wouldn't effect my purchase of a good rifle, but I still prefer it over unchromed. Personally, I'll take stainless.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chromed or not wouldn't effect my purchase of a good rifle, but I still prefer it over unchromed. Personally, I'll take stainless.

So if you prefer stainless and stainless barrels come WITHOUT chrome lining, are you not saying that you prefer an unchromed bore?

Are you going to offer a after market barrel for the new RRA 308? Since I would rather have a Stainless, but I dont want it real Long....IMO 18" would be a perfect fit for me:)

ant
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:57:54 AM EDT
[#26]
aparently you you are misinformed about the bushmaster 308. Fact is it dose have a 8 lug barrel extension and a 6 oclock lug which has ben beveled. also the area of the bolt that broke on mine was at the tail, and it continued to shoot in spite of being broken. with the new bolt ihave shot 600+ rounds no problems and very accurate.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
also the area of the bolt that broke on mine...

At the end of the day, your bolt was broken, right?  Breaking bolts is bad.  Very bad.

The concerns are over whether or not RRA addressed this problem specifically.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chromed or not wouldn't effect my purchase of a good rifle, but I still prefer it over unchromed. Personally, I'll take stainless.

So if you prefer stainless and stainless barrels come WITHOUT chrome lining, are you not saying that you prefer an unchromed bore?

Chrome lined stainless barrels for everyone!

Seriously, I prefer stainless but if I were to get chrome moly I would prefer that it be chrome lined.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I would wait and see how they work out.  Let someone else be the guinea pig.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks Steve,.. I too would like a midlength CHROMELINED bore/chamber barrel 16" if you please... Also It has repeatily been asked what has been done to address the bolt failure issue in the BAR-10. Care to comment?..........Udog
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is a link for a scanned picture of RRA's new baby.    

1911 Forum

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Here is a link for a scanned picture of RRA's new baby.    

1911 Forum

Sweet Baby Jesus!

Thanks for posting that and I am holding out for the Bushmasters cousin!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Where did they steal these prints from?

God only knows, I don't trust those crooks.

Pat
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where did they steal these prints from?

Where did WHO get which prints?

My understanding of the BAR-10 is that Rock River designed it, then sold the manufacturing rights to Bushmaster.
Of course Bushmaster failed with it for a couple reasons and has discontinued their interest in the project.
Rock River is now going to make a run at the concept and see how they can do.
There were really just a couple stumbling blocks for Bushmaster, price point and heat treating of bolts.
Rock River seems to have cured the price point issue and time will tell if they have cured the heat treating problems...

If RRA will be able to supply the barrel extensions that would be a large step in keeping it alive as well, factory barrels are fine but having the resources of installing custom barrels would expand the significance as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#38]
+1 for Rock River, gotta love it, thats ROCKS
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#39]
For those to lazy to click the link.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Can't wait for these bad boys...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd also like to see this thing available with chrome lining.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Hmm, just dawned on me that being the same as the Bushmaster it won't have the bolt hold-open in the right place.  Looks like it's back to Armalite for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#44]
The bolt hold open lever looks like those on FALs, which makes sense since it uses FAL mags.  You can't expect exactly the same controls as ARs since FAL mags work differently.  I like FAL controls well enough and actually prefer the FAL BHO to that of the AR 'cause I can reach it with either hand while the other's on the grip:

If I had to guess (which I do) I'd guess that RRA's made the mag release ambi, since a FAL mag release is a lever centered just behind the mag, like AKs.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#45]
on the a4 carbine looks like a $640 price drop from the bushmaster offering.  makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#46]

I must say that the price looks good and RRA definatly has a good reputation, might be worth a try.  the only thing that i just dont like is the mag release and bolt catch

its not a big deal, but for me i would rather stay with something more triditional in regards to these controls,

but all in a all i think that this will be great for the 308AR market and will force all the companies envolved to make a bettter product to compete,

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I never played with the bushmaster rifle while it was out.
Can someone explain the controls in the picture of the RRA 308?

Is the magazine release located on the left side in the normal position?
Is the checkered lever down below the bolt catch?

Ambidextrous bolt release is between the mag well and trigger guard, mag release is in the normal position of an AR style rifle.

It also has a forward assist.

I just purchased a new camera with the ability to zoom so if I can learn to run it I will post some detailed photos of the Bushmaster, this weapon also will be able to use match grade AR15 triggers with no problems or adaptor kits since my rifle has a 1 pound trigger in it now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The bolt hold open lever looks like those on FALs, which makes sense since it uses FAL mags.  You can't expect exactly the same controls as ARs since FAL mags work differently.  I like FAL controls well enough and actually prefer the FAL BHO to that of the AR 'cause I can reach it with either hand while the other's on the grip:

fototime.com/3F70F16760DC312/orig.jpg

If I had to guess (which I do) I'd guess that RRA's made the mag release ambi, since a FAL mag release is a lever centered just behind the mag, like AKs.  

I sold my FAL because alternating back and forth between FAL controls and AR controls was screwing me up when on the clock and I presumed it would do the same under other stressful situations.  If I only shot at a static range it probably wouldn't matter to me.

I'm not down on the RRA/Bushy controls, they just don't work for me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I think the potential bolt problems are going to really hurt sales until it can be proven one way or another if it’s fixed.

I only know of one way to do this. If someone will agree to send me a sample rifle and about 10-15k rounds of ammo I’ll be glad to thoroughly test it out and make a full and unbiased report.

(It actually would be an awful lot of work to shoot that many rounds, documenting every failure and hiccup… But I’ll be glad to do it as a public service.)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#50]

I sold my FAL because alternating back and forth between FAL controls and AR controls was screwing me up when on the clock and I presumed it would do the same under other stressful situations.  If I only shot at a static range it probably wouldn't matter to me.

I'm not down on the RRA/Bushy controls, they just don't work for me.

+1  

I sold two FNs for the same issue. My AR10 works for me, now I just have to wait on LW to make it piston driven.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top