Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/4/2006 1:23:31 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a DPMS .308 and can't decide they have 2 models
One is a 24" stainless, the other is 18" bull barrel.
Would one be better than the other?
Why one over the other?
Thanks for any info.
Derick
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 8:51:12 PM EDT by infsqdldr]
the 24" is great for target or competition. the 18" would be better suited for hunting or field carry. depends on your use. i have a 24" but im sure the 18" would be nearly as accurate. -if you get the 18", id get a rifle tube. that barrel is kinda hangin out there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:32:48 AM EDT
I have the 18" with free float tube, all factory and it is a excellent rifle with excellent accuracy
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:36:47 AM EDT
I put together a 24" with all the trimming and a SS16. It is heavy as hell but balls on accurate. I feed it 168gr Black Hills and I get less than 1/3 moa out to 300 yds.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:02:35 AM EDT
WOW Thanks guys for the great info.
I contacted DPMS and I think I am going to go with the 18" Bull with the A3 top.
I am a left handed shooter and I need the shell deflector.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:07:20 PM EDT
they have a clamp on case deflector. it runs perpendicular to the receiver, not at an angle like the built in. it may work better for a lefty. cant tell you how it works. im still waiting on mine. they sent me the wrong one twice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:14:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ta2d_cop:
I get less than 1/3 moa out to 300 yds.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:07:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:26:40 PM EDT
Contacted DPMS and I am getting the A3 style upper on the AP4 model with the 18" bull.
Friggin Southpaws!!! Gotta have my shell deflector!
My DPMS dealer got me a great price...UNDER $900
Tony Caspers is great. FINAL OPTION
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:20:47 PM EDT
Another BIG +1 for DPMS .308s. Sub-MOA with regularity. Shot my 18" out to 600 yds with no complaints...within 9 or 10 ring with relative ease.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:00:48 PM EDT
WOW Nice rifle...
Mine should be coming soon... I am getting the 18" bull barrel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:07:18 PM EDT
Easy610,

I appreciate your efforts in keeping Michigan Zombie free. Would you mind telling where you purchased your DPMS? I'm having trouble finding an FFL in mid-Michigan that is willing and able to put in a "custom" order with DPMS.

Thanks,

Wolverine93
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:59:17 PM EDT
I'm interested in the DPMS AR-10 as well. But I really want an 18" stainless steel barrel instead of the Chrome-Moly barrel.

Is there such a thing from DPMS? (seems the only stainless steel barrel they have is the 24").

Thanks, Charlie.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:03:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wolverine93:
Easy610,

I appreciate your efforts in keeping Michigan Zombie free. Would you mind telling where you purchased your DPMS? I'm having trouble finding an FFL in mid-Michigan that is willing and able to put in a "custom" order with DPMS.

Thanks,

Wolverine93

By custom, what are you looking for? My DPMS was a stock 18 chrome-moly barreled rifle when I got it. I had the barrel cut/threaded and installed a Vortex myself. The rifle came with the carbine length free-float tube. I bought and installed the rifle length free-float tube (they screw on and off right over the gas block). Installed the Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger.

Stock DPMS .308s are not difficult to come by....prob around $900-1000 for stock rifle configuration...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:04:28 PM EDT
DPMS only makes the stainless in the 24" model
I have mine ordered in the 24" i just plan on cutting it down to 20" or 18.5" i have not made my mind up yet and then flutting the barrel, I speacial ordered it with a voltor carbine stock, with quad rail, and the A3 upper. I can't wait to get it

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:22:10 PM EDT
Tony Caspers from final option has great prices on anything from DPMS, even custom orders.
Shoot him an email and give him a try, see what kind of price he can give you.
FINAL OPTION
Let him know that you heard this from AR15.com.
He has special prices for AR15.com members.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:25:22 PM EDT
Tony Caspers from final option has great prices on anything from DPMS, even custom orders.
Shoot him an email and give him a try, see what kind of price he can give you.
FINAL OPTION
Let him know that you heard this from AR15.com.
He has special prices for AR15.com members.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:43:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By easy610:

Easy610,

Thanks,

Wolverine93

By custom, what are you looking for? My DPMS was a stock 18 chrome-moly barreled rifle when I got it. I had the barrel cut/threaded and installed a Vortex myself. The rifle came with the carbine length free-float tube. I bought and installed the rifle length free-float tube (they screw on and off right over the gas block). Installed the Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger.

Stock DPMS .308s are not difficult to come by....prob around $900-1000 for stock rifle configuration...

"Custom" means that it's not a standard DPMS configuration. I guess a better term would have been "upgrade".

1. Start with a basic RFA2-308AP4 and add the following:
2. Carbine length FF 4-rail tube (same height as the upper receiver rail)
3. Single rail gas block
4. Cryo-accurizing of the barrel
5 Install a Smith Vortex FH (Shane at DPMS indicated that this wasn't an option, but it doesn't hurt to ask)
6. Install a LMT SOPMOD carbine stock
7. Install trigger up-grade

Now Shane indicated that all of the above was possible, it would just take a PO through a Michigan FFL (oh yah, and +/- 14 weeks). My issue is finding an FFL (with their license on file at DPMS) willing to go through the brain damage of verifying the pricing and submitting a PO. This is harder than I expected. Anyone deal with Guns Galore in Fenton? They're listed on DPMS website, but I don't know anything about them.

Wolverine93
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:36:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By easy610:

Easy610,

Thanks,

Wolverine93

"Custom" means that it's not a standard DPMS configuration. I guess a better term would have been "upgrade".

1. Start with a basic RFA2-308AP4 and add the following:
2. Carbine length FF 4-rail tube (same height as the upper receiver rail)
3. Single rail gas block
4. Cryo-accurizing of the barrel
5 Install a Smith Vortex FH (Shane at DPMS indicated that this wasn't an option, but it doesn't hurt to ask)
6. Install a LMT SOPMOD carbine stock
7. Install trigger up-grade

Now Shane indicated that all of the above was possible, it would just take a PO through a Michigan FFL (oh yah, and +/- 14 weeks). My issue is finding an FFL (with their license on file at DPMS) willing to go through the brain damage of verifying the pricing and submitting a PO. This is harder than I expected. Anyone deal with Guns Galore in Fenton? They're listed on DPMS website, but I don't know anything about them.

Wolverine93

I wasn't aware DPMS would do all of those upgrades. I'd try Firing Line in Westland, Mi. Run by several retired cops..a couple were tac guys and might be willing to order what you want from DPMS.

Good Luck.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:47:35 AM EDT
Beware that if you order with "upgrades", it will take a while.
I've had one on order since last August.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:55:34 AM EDT
Spoke with DPMS about a regular AP4 .308 purchase from them. They state I'd be looking at 12 weeks atleast. And thats for a stock production rifle.

YIKES! I have several DPMSs 308 & 223 and they are VERY nice and a great value, but I'm not sure I wanna wait 3-4 months or longer...maybe MUCH longer when you can find a production DPMS rifle on someones rack you could have the work (modifications) done to in much shorter timeframe.

My .02$....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:23:47 PM EDT
Kingfisher2,

Thanks for the link to Tony at Final Option. He responded to my initial email within 24 hours. I hope to place an order for an AP4, w/upgrades, in the next day or two.

Regards,

Wolverine93
Top Top