Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/25/2005 8:12:16 AM EDT
Some info for ya.... maybe interesting, maybe not.... have part of this posted in the pistol/rimfire section too...

Date: 11/13
Temp: about 40F to 35F
Time: afternoon 2:30-4:30
app 15 feet from chrono.

Weopon: Tromix 440 Corbon Mag upper 18" barrel (yes, an odd ball) on a Tromix lower (I assembled lower).

Factory rates 240gr @ 1800 fps and 305gr @ 1600fps. I assume it is w/ the "standard" Desert Eagle pistol barrel.

240grn 440 Corbon Mag
Avg: 2019
Max: 2030
Min: 2014
# shots: 5

305gr 440 Corbon Mag
Avg: 1763
Max: 1788
Min: 1738
# shots: 8

240gr 440 Corbon Mag (HANDLOADS)
Avg: 1915
Max: 1966
Min: 1822
# shots: 9

Data was off of Corbon site using AA #7 24.5grn. If I recall, Magnum primers.

Both 440 factory loads showed no signs of over pressor or hard extracting. Primers were not flat, but firing pin dent looked a bit deep in my opinion.

Handloads had some issues. A few would not eject/extract at first. Might be due to the lube left on the case or "under power" load(???). Most I shot cycled & ejected fine. Primers were not flat and the firing pin dent looked shallower then the factory loads.

Looking at the numbers, it was about 10% faster then the pistol rated velocity. Granted, it is unknown what conditons that the rating was taken. I'm sure if it was summer and about 70-80 degrees, the velocity would be a bit higher.

(Yes Tony, I FINALLY shot it.....)
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:44:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/24/2005 2:46:27 PM EDT by Kaliburz]
Has anyone had any issues w/ HOT loads in their 440 Cor-Bon or their 50 AE? I think I made mine too hot... case is staying in chamber...aka extractor fails to grip. Happens a bit on this lot I loaded up. Maybe too hot (24.7gr of AA#7 w/ a 240grn bullet for some and other was 29.5gr of H110 w/ the 240 grn bullet)??? Lower the load.... which means I'd have to pull them apart..... or a "D-Fender" under the extractor might work?

Note- test rounds I used in above post was at 24.5gr and it ran fine. I didn't fire any factory loads to see if it would extract/eject okay this time out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:27:36 PM EDT
It is possible to deform the shoulder when seating/crimping and this can cause feeding and extraction problems. Also, I think there were issues using IMI brass because of thicker brass than the Starline cases.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:29:20 PM EDT
Hows it going. Please check to make sure the chamber/case is free of lube/oil. I patch all my guns dry before shooting. I run lil gun in my 440/50ae. I used to use H110 but lil guns pressure curve is much more forgiving & dosent spike as fast as H110. For the 240s in the 440, 30gr lil gun runs like a champ! The 50 takes 32gr lil gun for the 325s & it is a beast. I did some experimenting early on & lil gun is a hands down winner for me. When I want to do accuracy runs & not chase brass I remove extractor & the case sets back on the empty mag. If your not extracting at all, somthing is wrong. If you removed the extractor, check to see if the little ruber peice is in there. As Forty5 says you can damage case with heavy roll crimp but that problem gives you hard to chamber problems. Let us know how the factory loads go. Ron
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:32:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 5:59:40 PM EDT by Kaliburz]
Not sure when the next time I'll be able to go shooting will be. Warmed up suddenly here in the last 3 days...snow all melted and now it's WET & MUDDY. If I'm lucky, next time I get to go might be after new year....

The loads all chambered okay. No issues there. Length was fine, check them before I went to the range. Primers were not flat. Maybe the edges were not that round...can't tell. Any how, of the ammo I fired, it probably ejected 40-50%...... Sometimes the extrating case would get jammed on the closing blot/carrier w/ the new round! (I thought the extractor might have been damaged....) The magazine floor plate started to move (el cheap 40 round mag that Tromix converted...came w/ upper).

I plan on getting the D-Fender and installing that. I'll clean the chamber before I shoot too, see if that helps. (Even wiped the ammo down too.....now....as I read the post...) Maybe it was a combination of things.... sticky case. I'll know more when I go "test".....

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:04:06 AM EDT
When you say (Even wiped the ammo down too.....now....as I read the post...) after you lube & size the case do you wipe them off? If so you should try a tumbler to clean them off. I run mine in a tumbler for 10-15min afterwards to clean brass before reloading. May be nothing but after thinking about it seems like the extractor would break if case dosent move. Try loading one in the chamber by hand with a 223 mag in the well to stop the bolt if it moves to the back all the way. Just a thought. Ron
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:00:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 12:09:59 PM EDT by Kaliburz]
Well, took some gun scrub, a brush and cleaned the chamber. Me thinks I found issue...the lube. Before cleaning, I looked in and saw something and I know it shouldn't be there. I didn't think I had THAT much on the case.... guess some might have gotten by. I wish my die former was titanium nitiride coated (my resizer is coated...got it from CH Tool & Die). The unfortunate thing , the extractor is damaged. I don't recall what it looked like when new, but it failed the extraction text. Took my dumby round (no primer, but has bullet to correct OAL), dropped into chamber, closed bolt...pulled charging handle to eject...pulls it out, but not far enough to clear.... issue found..... I screwed up my 440! My fault.ahhhhhhhhhhhhh (email sent to Tony for replacment extractor....)

I must have forgot to clean the cases after forming.... easy to believ. I formed a few months ago when it was still warm. Must have thought I cleaned them....

ronaldmwilliams- how much of a hook is left on the extractor after it was opened up...I can't recall for the life of me.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:06:37 PM EDT
For some reason 2400fps sticks with me as the # that Tony was pulling with 240gr 440 Corbon Mags.

I don't recall his configuration or load.

Do you think you can get that hot from an 18" bbl?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:18:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
For some reason 2400fps sticks with me as the # that Tony was pulling with 240gr 440 Corbon Mags.

I don't recall his configuration or load.

Do you think you can get that hot from an 18" bbl?

SHIVAN,

Got this from Tony's site:

Launching 180gr bullets to 2400fps, 240 graines at 2050fps, and 300 grain bullets at 1850fps,

Unfortunately, I don't know if it is w/ a 20" barrel or carbine that he used.

And the numbers I quoted were w/ FACTORY ammo...my first loads are NO WHERE near that. And it's winter too....hate to see what factory loads run at if it was say 70-70F. (And that is why any loads I develop in winter will be for winter..... I'm new to the 440....)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:21:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kaliburz:

Launching 180gr bullets to 2400fps, 240 graines at 2050fps, and 300 grain bullets at 1850fps,

Yep, 2400fps, but at 180gr.

Still pretty stout...

The 440 Corbon is fun, isn't it?

I have the 50AE now, though I have owned the 440 once upon a time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:56:28 PM EDT
Yes, FUN. Now just have to get the sights dialed in...that was the purpose of my 2nd trip, but ended up having my "issues"... oh well, live and learn.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:30:47 PM EDT
Glad you fond the problem(exess lube). Try some Imperial sizing die wax. just a pinch on the fingers & you can lube 8-10 cases. I dont know what you are using to clean them with but a tumbler & ground walnut shell will go a long way. I would clean all the dies & start fresh. The extractor has very little steel left when opened up so I figured there may be some damage. Try a sized & clean case & see if it will fly out. Usually the end of the extractor is gone if they fail. Dont have a camera on hand or I would send a pic to compare. Tony is very cool when it comes to his products. The 180s are real screamers, but they dont hold together inside 50yds. Going faster than they are designed to go. Heading to range next weekend. Hope to have time to set up crony on my 240s. I have a hog hunt every weekend in febuary & would like to use the 440 & the 50 but the 458 is the one that ends up in the truck! Later, Ron
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:31:02 PM EDT
I'm using that spray on Hornaday case lube. I'll have to be more carefull.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:08:05 AM EDT
29g H110 gives me 1900fps with 240g Rem HP. Tried 30g lilgun & they are too hot. First time lilgun has made that much of a pressure gain on a cartridge. Ron
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:02:18 AM EDT
You guys better enjoy those guns while you have them, since as of 1/1/2006 the 50AE and 440 CorBon maganum have been discontinued from the Tromix lineup.

The very first 440 CorBon that I built had an 18" light weight barrel on it. I believe I was using that one when I ran those Chrono numbers that were on the website. Powder was H110 but I don't recall how much.

Tony

Top Top