User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Come on people, all those in this thread wanting a GB and only two have signed up so far counting myself?  WTF?
If we do not get the 10 total this likely is not going to happen.  What happened to all those urging Marty to do a GB?  Less than two weeks before it closes and if enough are not signed up likely nobody gets any.  And good luck getting Marty to listen to us about another GB in the future.

Bad time of year for me.  Christmas wiped me out.  If the deposit was less or the payoff was longer I could probably slide it under the radar.  But at the current set up it would either mean jacking up credit card and therefore getting jacked up by the wife, skipping a car/house payment (even worse), or making a promise that I couldn't follow through on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
After taking the trip to range this weekend with the prototype this weekend - I have jacked up the credit card and have the making of a new rifle all inbound from different vendors.  Even have the camo job planned on it.  Just have to decide on the optics and then break the news to the wife on what I did - thinking 552 EOTech or 2xCompML2.  Have not decided yet.  Ask forgiveness or ask permission.........screw it - I have a paying job too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there any more story on the brass for this thing.  I have seen feisty rooster is supposed to have it.  But, I couldn't find it on the website.  I read that he is "supposed" to get a bunch more in.  Anybody got more story on this.  I would consider this if the brass is going to be there.  I have the money right now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy shit that's cool.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Between and my father, we have two 500Ps.  We emailed the payment info and order to Joe in November.  It took about two weeks and we had it....understanding was on the delay is that he is in active service and that added time to the order.  Either way, that is not a long time and it was well worth it.  If enough interest gets out there for the cartiridge, then the prices will get better and better.  I know Marty has consistenly been looking for cheaper brass, so possiblitities are high that at some time in the not so far future, it will get cheaper to shoot.

Of course, you will not blaze this thing like it is .223 anyway.  My 100 loaded rounds will last a long time!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is there any more story on the brass for this thing.  I have seen feisty rooster is supposed to have it.  But, I couldn't find it on the website.  I read that he is "supposed" to get a bunch more in.  Anybody got more story on this.  I would consider this if the brass is going to be there.  I have the money right now.

Joe still has about 300 pieces.  As DocRock mentioned, you won't be capping these off like 22LR ... believe me, and I ain't recoil shy ... test firing in a concrete store room tends to ruin the rest of the day ...  Also, Joe indeed at times has to do some work for the Uncle and that can delay him.  But he did order 5,000 more pieces all to be handcrafted by a nit-picky German guy who makes brass for the KSG and GSG9 ... we are indeed talking to US manufacturers in conjunction with our Rhino project and SHOT may bring good news.  I keep about 25 pieces here in the shop and it suits my needs and then some ... mine is a Savage 110 FP with a 24" Lothar Walther barrel ...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Recoil shy.  I am not either.  And damn man.  This thing packs a punch.  Fun punch at that.  I am an avid waterfowler and I shoot 3.5" 12g mag all season and thought I would be prepared for this beast.  We all learn new things every now and then.  I can not wait to get it put together and dialed in so I can make a hog hunt with it around the first weekend or Feb.  Might have some good stories to tell at Shot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I posted this in the GB thread, which I am proud to say I'm signed up for, and I will post it here too.

I don't reload, I don't think I'm that far in my shooting knowledge to do so. Sooo...I was wondering if when this is all said and done if I could get someone to load me a good size quantity of rounds. I'd pay for the material etc. + labor.

You guys probably thin I'm an idiot for wanting a rifle I can't make ammo fo bu WTH
Just a though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I know Joe at FeistyRooster.com has brass because I just opened a box of 110 pieces.  Now if this GB does not go through...
Dies are not listed on CH-4D's site either but I am quite sure he has them.  Dave has not answered my e-mail about dies yet, but then again, I only sent it to him an hour ago.  
So, here I am all dressed up and no place to go.  Brass in hand, a good supply of .50 bullets that I have left over from my .50 Alaskan, and more than enough powder to do some loading IF I set up my bench, but I am hoping ReedsAmmo.com comes through with some factory loads like Marty mentioned in another post.  100 rounds of factory loads would get me my shits and giggles until we get back to Indiana and I can set up the reloading bench properly.
Now all I need is enough people on board to make this happen.  Damn the credit card, full speed ahead...

Let me remind you of what you will be missing if you do not get on board for this GB.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Come one people we need a few more, I really want one of these

I signed up and so should you....dammmit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Last I heard from James we still need 5 more people to sign up or this is a "dead deal" come Sunday night.
If on Monday we do not have 9 more people signed up for 10 total the GB will be over and done.  I will at that point ask AR15.com to remove the GB thread.  
Don't fool around thinking we are going to extend this.  We are not.  This is your one and only chance at a AR-15 .500 Phantom upper at the dirt low price of $1,000.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#12]
The initial prototype after playing "dress up"

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#13]
So how much ft/lbs does that dirty cocksucker whack out?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Does this kill the chance on the 500 being made for the AR10? If im going to have something this big I would like a bigger casing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Is it wrong that I am strangely aroused by this?
I mean I popped a woody...pitched a tent...sporting a chub...pinochio in my pants...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does this kill the chance on the 500 being made for the AR10? If im going to have something this big I would like a bigger casing.

The case is the same size on the AR-10 as it is on the AR-15.  The only thing the AR-10 allows you is the ability to seat the bullet out farther for a longer OAL.  Event he .50 A-Max will not work in the AR-10 unless you side load it in single shot fashion.  
And, you will not be able to get an .500 Phantom AR-10 upper for $1000.  Just a couple of more days left for sign up and the oportunity will be gone and we all miss out.

Ft-lbs, depends on bullet and velocity.  Ranges from 800 to over 4,000.  See this page.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Just rolled into the house from the coast.  Took the 500P AR with me and did some plinking between hunts the last couple of days.  It did great.  Better than great.  Several people shot it and one dude from NC pulled out 3K cash from his pocket and offered it to me for the gun on the spot.  I looked at him like he was nuts.  Then I dropped the dot on the EOtech on a brick I had on top of a fence post and drilled it with an AMAX.  I think he got his answer as he saw the huge grin on my face as pieces of damned brick rained down on us (note - the brick was sitting about 40 yards away from me at the time it was shot and I picked up parts of it all over the place).  He persisted and I slapped in a mag of 300gr round nose and burned it as fast as I could pull the trigger.  I was in shock to find that there was very minimal muzzle climb and even happier when I saw that my first shot sailed through the target and hit a small tree behind it (about 4" wide at the trunk) and it has split the darned thing in two!  The AMAX's are not very loud and they are accurate.  you do have to single load them, but you can drop one in the barrel and then slap in a mag and charge it and know that your first shot is big as hell and the remaining others are loud as hell.  The guy did not get the rifle from me and has emailed twice today asking where he can buy one.  SOL dude.  He should be a member of ARF is all I could tell him!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Doc, you should have directed him to our GB.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#20]
He did not know how to put the upper on the lower if that means anything.  So based upon that - I do not think he could have even signed up for a name and password on this site.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Good news, it looks like we will be getting to the 500 project a little sooner than expected. We have a gracious offer from one of Marty's customers to allow us to use their 500 for the R&D of the production ammunition. I will allow them to remain anonymous unless they decide to promote the fact. You can figure about 6 weeks from the time we have everything in until it is ready for distribution. We will be set up to re-load the fired brass, so that will certainly bring the cost down after the initial purchase. I do not have a cost yet, so for now it will be TBA.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#22]
GREAT!  I have my dies and all the other crap I need but I will be wanting some "factory" loads anyway.  I really do not want to set up my reloading operation just to load a few rounds of .500 Phantom because I really do not have any place to do really good load work-up over here in this state, at least not anywhere close where I can do serious load work up without a bunch of gawkers.  That will have to wait until I return to good ol' Indiana.  Until then I'll shoot your stuff.  One hundred rounds of your stuff will get the itch scratched plus another supply of brass.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#23]
First off, I can't wait until Reed's Ammo starts selling the loaded ammo.  I, too, don't have the chance to setup my reloading gear anytime in the near future since i'll be moving soon [military].  So until the group buy comes to fruition I have ample time to ponder things.  And in my ponderance of my new upper I was thinking about that sabot'd .308.  Does anyone have any stats on it?  From the pictures I've seen on here people have been loading them, but how do they shoot?  Accuracy, reliability, mag feed issues, etc... Any thoughts?

-Rio
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
First off, I can't wait until Reed's Ammo starts selling the loaded ammo.  I, too, don't have the chance to setup my reloading gear anytime in the near future since i'll be moving soon [military].  So until the group buy comes to fruition I have ample time to ponder things.  And in my ponderance of my new upper I was thinking about that sabot'd .308.  Does anyone have any stats on it?  From the pictures I've seen on here people have been loading them, but how do they shoot?  Accuracy, reliability, mag feed issues, etc... Any thoughts?

-Rio

Reliability and mag feed are non-issues.  As to accuracy, it varied.  First time out plinking with them, after two shots on a non-bore sighted rifle (oops ) my brother-in-law was hitting FBI silhouettes at 200 yards.  Second time out, I couldn't hit squat with them ... they are too long to fit the AR-15 mags ...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#25]
But if you get the MGI lower........................................and use a larger mag well and mag............possible!

At least that is my plan for the future.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#26]
So far I have not even been able to locate the sabots at a good price. Best I found so far is 2.00ea.
Looks like J&D is out and/or no longer making them. Anyone else have any good leads?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#27]
500P sabots.......  Big Sky Suplus?????
____
50 CAL. SABOTS ONLY —  100/$50.      SABOT WITH 30-06 AP BULLET — 100/$79
____
at least this is what is on the site.  Availability is as good of a guess as mine.
www.bigskysurplus.com
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Yup, BSS is the only place I found that has them, but at 2.00 ea that is WAY over priced, I recall they were about .25ea. Heck, the sabot alone cost more then the A-Max.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#29]
How does $90/1000 sound?  JNS
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Good luck, the phone is disconnected and the e-mail doesn't work. Tried them too
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Good luck, the phone is disconnected and the e-mail doesn't work. Tried them too

Damn
I was going to order some of the 30 cal sabots at 40/1K
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Will Wally World be selling the ammo one day? LOL
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#33]
J&D still sells the .30 cal sabots, just not the 50 cal.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top