Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]

you wish

oh                
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know if they are loading the new calibers, but is this the same company?

http://www.ammunition-ccc.net
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't know if they are loading the new calibers, but is this the same company?

http://www.ammunition-ccc.net

That is them, the new calibers are not listed (yet), Art is still working out the details
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pretty isolated piece of rural property to protect I am real interested
in  a 458 SOCOM load for penetrating trucks. ;)
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a pretty isolated piece of rural property to protect I am real interested

I don't know about trucks, but the 600 grain FMJ bullets I just shot the other day would make someones day less than desirable

Chris
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]

I don't know about trucks, but the 600 grain FMJ bullets I just shot the other day would make someones day less than desirable

Chris

I spose so....lol...was thinking along the lines of maybe 300+ grains...and FMJ @2000 fps ...or something
along the lines of the LW .499

Forgot to ask what kind of velocity numbers you gettin out of those 600's?

tia
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't run any numbers yet but should be somewhere close to 1K.  There were no signs of over pressure so I will probably try to start working some loads up for it.
My personal favorite is the 405 Remmys.  Cheap but with some balls behind them
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#8]
uafgrad, glad to see that you have that stick up and running.  Sorry we could not get together while you were visiting Indiana.  Taking the 458 on  a bear hunt in Sept.  Loading up some 405s for that.  RJW
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
uafgrad, glad to see that you have that stick up and running.  Sorry we could not get together while you were visiting Indiana.  Taking the 458 on  a bear hunt in Sept.  Loading up some 405s for that.  RJW

I'm sorry it didn't work out either, it would have been nice to share a beer.
I travel a fair amount, so perhaps some time in the future.  Likewise, I usually have a cold one or twelve in my fridge at any given time if you make it north
Chris
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I need more more info on the spectre.  Is CCC gonna load 300smk's? And what about Barnes xlc moly coated? C'mon Marty throw me a bone!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I need more more info on the spectre.  Is CCC gonna load 300smk's? And what about Barnes xlc moly coated? C'mon Marty throw me a bone!

No word yet from Art and weather here keeps me from doing some of this stuff (have to watch the dogs, the electrical storms make them nuts and having 60 and 100 # of dog running crazy isn't good for the house,  property and shop.  Anyway)  Going to try and get him to load the 300SMK.  Load data supplied to CCC included the 185 XLC.  If BATFE gives "Go" on the SBR and CAN, wait till you see (and not hear) the 338 we are building ....
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How about witnessed penetration of certified Mil Spec 46100 0.25"?  Or 3/8" pig steel at 25 yds?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]

How about witnessed penetration of certified Mil Spec 46100 0.25"? Or 3/8" pig steel at 25 yds?

Not too shabby Marty...that would pretty much fit the bill ..which load was that?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How about witnessed penetration of certified Mil Spec 46100 0.25"? Or 3/8" pig steel at 25 yds?

Not too shabby Marty...that would pretty much fit the bill ..which load was that?

Speer AGS-T, problem is, last batch of 20 bullets cost me $125 ....
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No word yet from Art and weather here keeps me from doing some of this stuff (have to watch the dogs, the electrical storms make them nuts and having 60 and 100 # of dog running crazy isn't good for the house,  property and shop.  Anyway)  Going to try and get him to load the 300SMK.  Load data supplied to CCC included the 185 XLC.  If BATFE gives "Go" on the SBR and CAN, wait till you see (and not hear) the 338 we are building ....

woah woah woah.... wait a sec. please tell me more about this can of which you speak you got any baffle designs you wanna post up Marty?

oh by the way. talked to quality cartridge a long time ago and was told that 300 smk's wouldnt even fit in an AR mag..... please say it aint so!
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
woah woah woah.... wait a sec. please tell me more about this can of which you speak you got any baffle designs you wanna post up Marty?

oh by the way. talked to quality cartridge a long time ago and was told that 300 smk's wouldnt even fit in an AR mag..... please say it aint so!

On the can, design is actually quite simple and similar to ones done in the past, but with application of some new technologies.  Trick is, some fellar out there is getting it patented and he will have to give me "green light" to post

On the SMK, did you see the pictures? They fit just fine on the 338 Spectre, and the PRI SPC mags allow seating to 2.31 so there is room-a-plenty.  I am actually having to reprofile my reamer to increase the throat so that I can seat the 300 SMK out farther.  I was seating them to 2.150 COL ...

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the can, design is actually quite simple and similar to ones done in the past, but with application of some new technologies.  Trick is, some fellar out there is getting it patented and he will have to give me "green light" to post

On the SMK, did you see the pictures? They fit just fine on the 338 Spectre, and the PRI SPC mags allow seating to 2.31 so there is room-a-plenty.  I am actually having to reprofile my reamer to increase the throat so that I can seat the 300 SMK out farther.  I was seating them to 2.150 COL ...

hey thats what they told me. but that was a while back and who cares, your gonna convince CCC to do it anyway.  and i had seen that one pic about a million times so yeah i knew it was possible, i was just surprized when they told me otherwise.

by the way......... you got any pics of finished spectres or even ones in the works?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:56:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Not that many 338s have been built

1 - 20" rifle, sold to ARFCOM here in Houston, then to ARFCOM in DFW
2 - 16" carbine to ARFCOM in FL, then to ARFCOM in LA, not sure if still there
3 - another 16" to same ARFCOM in LA
4 - the T&E upper on the website, right now in AZ with writer, has been demo'ed at Blackwater and to agencies in Midwest
5 - SBR in Midwest for T&E for agencies

In the works
6 - pistol upper with side charging receiver, modified to take CARBON15 rail and handgaurd
7 - SBR upper for T&E here, shipping next week to Extreme Shock Munitions for development of heavy frangible loads
8 - bolt gun for T&E here
9 - AK-47 hybrid in 338 Spectre (uses 7.62x39 bolt but accepts 5.45x39 mags ....)

I do not have pictures of the ones sold, with the exception of course of the T&E upper on the website.  For the stuff in the works, the pistol upper right now is not in a state where I would want to post pictures (raw metal), and the rest is still under wraps ....
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Marty,

Is there any published data for the spectre or a link to a site.

Thanks

Should have said reloading data.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#20]
and more info on the 338 Rhino, please.

It's the details that will eat you alive when working on a project as this. Hope it works.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#21]
338 Rhino (whoops, typed Whino first, no more beverages for you, young man!) is in holding pattern waiting on reamer, and no word on brass.  US players are not responding, may have to go overseas again, or wait till next year for one player to up his equipment capabilities

338 Spectre, I can forward load data ranging from 160 gr Barnes X to 300 SMK.  Also can provide tailored loads if you specify bullet and powder.  Preferred powders appear to be Win296 and Re7.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#22]
The site is up! but theres no trace of any of your stuff though marty. whats up?

oh by the way, lets see number 6.
"6 - pistol upper with side charging receiver, modified to take CARBON15 rail and handgaurd"

who cares if its a bit "naked", that sounds interesting! post some pics.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#23]
anything ?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#24]
btt
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
btt

Pix next week.  Looking sweet.  After initial head scratching and "hmmm" from Derek (machinist), today's comment spoke volumes: "May have to do another one, I like it, where did the parts come from again?"
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Marty:

I'm on the hunt for an AR rifle (don't presently own one). I prefer to buy into a complete gun in big bore sizes, and also buy an upper in .308 eventually.

From reading this forum posts, it sounds you work with Tromix?  

Question:  Can you contact me in regards to complete big bore setup?  I really need the suggestions of the experienced from the rifle to the carry sling--for I have zippo experience and don't want to waste cash on sub-par equipment.

I'm open to suggestions at this point.  I'd like to get a caliber that can do 500 yards, but have seen .458 only reaching to 300 reliably without much guesswork.  My intents for the gun is medium to large game (elk to brown bear) and occasional target shooting.

I do not reload my own ammo, so availability of ammo at a fair price is a must.

Any input or buy-in suggestions from anyone will be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#27]

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=1062208

What do you consider a fair price?

500 yds for an AR platform seems like you are asking a lot.  If you must make shots on large game at that distance, why would you not go with something that will give you the energy and distance necessary to make consistent, humane kills?

Chris
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Might consider the AR10T in 300RSAUM for long range work

Chris
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks. I wouldn't do it routinely, but if I could get a rifle that serves as many needs as possible that is ideal.  If I expect to kill something 500yards/meters plus, I'd probably bring something else like my 30-06 or buy a 7mm mag.  Being new to AR world, I'm wanting to ensure  I get the most gun as possible and don't regret not asking around more before I buy. I've seen some makes or brands aren't as compatible as others.  Still feeling out what is common and what is exceptional to the AR style rifles.

A fair price is under $1 or so a round.  I don't want to buy into a caliber that is highly likely to disappear or get so scare I have to trade gold for it.  ;-)

BTW, what gun is that you have--looks like a large caliber.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Thanks. I wouldn't do it routinely, but if I could get a rifle that serves as many needs as possible that is ideal.  If I expect to kill something 500yards/meters plus, I'd probably bring something else like my 30-06 or buy a 7mm mag.  Being new to AR world, I'm wanting to ensure  I get the most gun as possible and don't regret not asking around more before I buy. I've seen some makes or brands aren't as compatible as others.  Still feeling out what is common and what is exceptional to the AR style rifles.

A fair price is under $1 or so a round.  I don't want to buy into a caliber that is highly likely to disappear or get so scare I have to trade gold for it.  ;-)

BTW, what gun is that you have--looks like a large caliber.

Contact Cobb Manufatoring
call them and tell them what you want to do and they might be able to help you out....since they make AR 15 Platforms in all caliburs

Ant
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
SandW -

Apologies for not replying sooner, seem to have caught some bug that has me torn up....  Regarding your question, the crux is ammo that is reasonably priced.  This means you need one of the "established" calibers for which several companies load.  As a result, you can rule out a number of options.  You then mention 500 yards, big bore and AR platform.  That indeed limits you to the Cobb product line.  Call them, talk to Skip, and let them know what you are looking for.  I would go with something in 375 caliber as that is the typical minimum for several African nations for DG hunting. The 375 H&H Mag and 378 Wby Mag will take anything in North America and then some, and with proper bullets can shoot like a 270.  However, recoil is stout to put it mildly.  I would think the best option then is the 9.3 x 62 Mauser they offer.

Another option would be an AR-10 and buying one of the Cobb uppers in 338 Lapua to supplement the standard 308 upper.

Either way, you will exceed your stated budget, especially once you start adding optics and other accessories.

Problem is, try and find a rifle that will do everything and it WILL do everything, but EACH of them POORLY.  Just like a golfer has more than one club in his bag or a craftsman has more than one tool for a task, more than one rifle might be a better answer.  THe gents on the Big Bore forum of Accurate Reloading love to play the "what is the best all around cartridge/rifle for DG hunting" game and get in huge arguments that last for years ..... but all will agree that anything less than the 9.3 x 62 is suicide .... any typically illegal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#32]
cool
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#33]
DUH!  Totally forgot about this!!

Garand in 338 Win Mag

If they can do one in 338 Win Mag, perhaps you can get them to do one in 375 Whelen, more or less equivalent to 9.3 x 62 .... that should get you closer than anything.  Now if they could just make one that has a quick barrel swap option, they you could have your cake and eat it too ... keep the original 30-06 barrel and have a 375 or 400 Whelen barrel handy "just in case"
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
DUH!  Totally forgot about this!!

Garand in 338 Win Mag

If they can do one in 338 Win Mag, perhaps you can get them to do one in 375 Whelen

While that 338 conversion has some cool factor, let's not forget that you still end up with a 4 round clip fed rifle rather than a mag fed rifle.
For $3000 ($500 garand plus $2500 upgrade), you can buy a very nice factory AR-10 in 300 SAUM and still have money left to rebarrel it to 338 SAUM.

As for the Garand platform, a 35  or 375 Whelen re-barrel is a very good option and should be more on the order of a $500 upgrade to a $500 garand.
I would feel very well armed with 8 rounds of 35 Whelen.

Randall
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#35]
btt
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I forgot I was supposed to provide pictures of the custom 338 Spectre upper

Ameetec side charger
Les Baer lite weight carrier
DPMS 6.8 SPC bolt
PacNor 1 in 7 twist SS barrel, 10.5", threaded 5/8 x 24
Bushy Carbon 15 hand gaurd
Bushy Carbon 15 rail

The upper and rail were milled and where needed drilled and tapped to make the rail fit flush to the upper and properly mate with the hand gaurd.  The upper is remarkably light (the polymer? hand gaurd helps) and suprisingly sturdy.  The barrel is free floated with a gas block hidden under the hand gaurd.

Fitted to a pisto lower (or SBR) this would be actually a very nice rig, very light.  Looking to do another one in a different caliber

It's going to get KG coated flat black to cover where we milled away material and then we'll take some more pictures.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#37]
A very funny american actor playing a really bad british playboy said it best...

Yeah Baby!!!

Randall
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#38]
isn't mike myers canadian?

so whens cccammo gonna come up with the goods?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#39]
CCCAmmo bowed out citing economic reasons ... no worries, mate, talking with a MUCH bigger fish right now.  One that fills huge military contracts.  Inert samples and load data going out tomorrow, they seem eager for some "little stuff" to fill holes in schedules.

If that fails, there is Arizona Ammunition.  And Pete at Quality will load stuff, I can send him an Excel sheet with loads that have been tested in various uppers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:45:51 AM EDT
[#40]
How are the 10mm Mag barrels coming?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
How are the 10mm Mag barrels coming?

Total and utter head ache

Refuses to feed, but we think we are making progress.  Polishing chambers to mirror seems to help, as well as judicious ramping.  However, if we cannot make them 100% reliable, we would prefer not to sell them, don't want any inferior items out there .... if that ends up the case, I also need to find something creative to do with 4 10mm Mag barrels ....

Got one working decent right now, if the fixes we are trying work, we will apply to others but looking less than promising.  Rather strange as the 35/40 and 338 versions feed like butter ....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I can't remember, does the 338 spectre use 6.8 mags also?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I can't remember, does the 338 spectre use 6.8 mags also?

Frankenmags, 7.62x39 mags and 6.8 mags.  The 6.8s seem to feed REALLY well ...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#44]
can't it use regularmags too? or do i have to grind the feed lips with a dremel?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#45]
MArty, I saw on your website that the 338 can use unmodified 9mm suppressors; can you use 1/2-28 threads on a 338 muzzle?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I won't answer for Marty, but I will throw in my own opinion.
I like as thick of a wall at the thread relief as I can get.
This generally dictates larger thread sizes with larger bores.
I have a simple table on my FAQ page about this:
www.ar15barrels.com/faq.shtml

That said, the thread relief on 1/2-28 (which is standard for 223/5.56, but NOT for 9mm which uses 1/2-36 by the way) is about 0.440" in diameter.
Now you have a 0.338" groove diameter on the bore (let's say 0.340" for nice math...
This leaves 0.100" of barrel thickness divided into two barrel walls 0.050" thick.
In my OPINION, that's OK for holding a muzle brake, but I would rather not hang a sound suppressor from it.
Other people's opinions vary on this, but now you know mine...

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#47]
All my 9mm pistol cans are threaded 1/2-28, but I guess that's because they're used on shorter barrels and are generally lighter and shorter suppressors.

Let me ask: would your opinion be any different for, say, a 10.5" 338 barrel? I ask because I'm already thinking of getting a SMG can for my Colt 635 upper (which is threaded 1/2-36); it would be cool if I could use it on a 338 upper (10.5") as well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't think barrel length matters that much.
The barrel is either too thin and it will stretch (distort the bore), or it's not.
It's just a matter of using it, which many people have for years with no appearant problems (we don't hear of problems at least), but given the CHOICE, I like larger threads.
As your barrel is already threaded 1/2-36, you don't have the choice unless you were going to shorten and thread it larger for example.
As a general rule, I would not torque the can super tight to the barrel.
This will absolutely minimize chances of any damage.

Randall
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
can't it use regularmags too? or do i have to grind the feed lips with a dremel?

You can get maybe 5 Spectre or SPC rounds in a standard 223 mag before it gets ugly.  Feed lips are not the problem, it is the rib in the mag wall that prohibits proper double stacking of the fatter cases.  Really the best way is the 6.8 SPC mags or else the 7.62x39 mags
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I have to concur with Randall (and have no problem with him answering these kinds of things for me, I know the quality of your work)

Yes, you can go with very thin walls.  Look at some of the .45 ACP barrels out there that are holding cans.  But I cringe at the thought of those.

5/8 x 24 or 5/8 x 32 is about the smallest you will find on a .458 barrel.  Let's use that as the reference point.  If we then go to .338, or 0.120 smaller, then the smallest you would want to go on the thread is 0.625 - 0.120 - 0.505.  So you can go 0.5"

However, 5/8 x 24 is one of the more common threads for suppressors, and it would be smarter to go that route.  Or you can do what we did for one customer.  We built a .458 with standard 5/8 x24 threads at the muzzle for brakes and FH.  He wanted to mount a can but his suppressor supplier wanted larger threads.  So right behind the 5/8 x 24 threads, we threaded 3/4 x 20 and supplied to thread caps to cover both sections.  The suppressor was made to accept the slightly different muzzle profile but it afforded more strength.

The best way to mount a suppressor IMHO is to have a two point mount with threads at the back or a shoulder at the back a la OPS Inc.  This way the suppressor volume can be larger without forfeiting overall length of the system, it supports the suppressor better and mor rigidly and offers better prevention of baffle strike by ensuring better alignment.

If my SBR goes through, wait till you see my personal suppressed 338 ....
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top