Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I received mine earlier in the week, from the vendor NCStar provided the contact info for.  Planning to use it after some yard work today.  As others have said, mine didn't have the grip screw or hex key despite the box description...which is fine since I have a ton but they might want to look into that.  I was also surprised with the weight and how nice it appears.  As long as it holds up, it's definitely worth the price.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#2]
By all means, buy only from a big company like Opitics Planet that will take you money for an item that shows in stock then take months to deliver, IF they deliver at all, all while telling you the item is not in stock but will ship in a few days.  I did that dance with them for a time until my charge back time on my CC was about to expire and then cancelled the order.  Funny how they charged my card immediately but it took two weeks to give me my money back.

Why buy from a little guy trying to make ends meet and will sell you a product that they actually have in stock and get it to you damned near before the check cleans (if anyone ever sent a check anymore)?  Who'd want to do that?  Yes, by all means, screw the little guy who does what he says and delivers on time in favor of a big company that will break it off in your ass every time they get the chance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
By all means, buy only from a big company like Opitics Planet that will take you money for an item that shows in stock then take months to deliver, IF they deliver at all, all while telling you the item is not in stock but will ship in a few days.  I did that dance with them for a time until my charge back time on my CC was about to expire and then cancelled the order.  Funny how they charged my card immediately but it took two weeks to give me my money back.

Why buy from a little guy trying to make ends meet and will sell you a product that they actually have in stock and get it to you damned near before the check cleans (if anyone ever sent a check anymore)?  Who'd want to do that?  Yes, by all means, screw the little guy who does what he says and delivers on time in favor of a big company that will break it off in your ass every time they get the chance.
View Quote

All good points above /\  /\ 100% agree!

My 2nd one came today from that guy working from his email address lol. Best customer service ever. I sometimes buy 2 of things. Several things I bought one of I wish I had now bought 2 of. Couple of examples, KNS Hammer Cage, Schuster Mfg Concentricity gauges, now all discontinued. But at least I have 1 copy of those.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't forget having their "risk manager" "Boris", contact you to accuse you of conspiring to violate itar and asking for a copy of photo i.d. for a non controlled/non serialized item..likely to cover the fact that they do not actually have the item and to buy time while they desperately try to find a drop shipper to fulfill the order. Seriously..is optics planet really using some scrub named "Boris" to accuse Americans of conspiracy to violate itar?? I'm suspicious that "Boris" might actually violate itar and send defense products back to the enemy in his home land..that would be much more plausible. Pathetic but a true story.

Anyway..no..I was referencing vendors like Primary Arms, Right To Bare, Brownells etc..Actual, reputable vendors who also happen to do alot for the community.

Quoted:Why buy from a little guy trying to make ends meet and will sell you a product that they actually have in stock and get it to you damned near before the check cleans (if anyone ever sent a check anymore)?  Who'd want to do that?  Yes, by all means, screw the little guy who does what he says and delivers on time in favor of a big company that will break it off in your ass every time they get the chance.

Because the little guy has less accountability and is harder to track down if your credit card gets compromised etc. What is their security protocol regarding protection of your credit card and personal information? It also is shady how these no name vendors and private individuals with no business presence have these before even the company that actually manufacturers them does? Yes I do realize that NC Star has them listed but they are unavailible for purchase. Are these even legit? Are they pirated? How are they getting these before authorized vendors with massive buying power?

It may be fine, they may be legit but they might not be either. Going with a known and respected vendor pretty much gaurentees you are getting a legitimate item and an easy resolution if problems arise. Maybe a cash sale in person would be a different story, but sometimes a slightly lower price or slightly faster shipping isn't worth the risk.

Anyway, once a reputable vendor with accountability has these in stock, I will pick one up. They look like a great tool for the money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because the little guy has less accountability and is harder to track down if your credit card gets compromised etc. What is their security protocol regarding protection of your credit card and personal information? It also is shady how these no name vendors and private individuals with no business presence have these before even the company that actually manufacturers them does? Yes I do realize that NC Star has them listed but they are unavailible for purchase. Are these even legit? Are they pirated?

It may be fine, they may be legit but they might not be either. Going with a known and respected vendor pretty much gaurentees you are getting a legitimate item and an easy resolution if problems arise. Maybe a cash sale in person would be a different story, but sometimes a slightly lower price or slightly faster shipping isn't worth the risk.
View Quote

For whatever it's worth, NCStar customer service directed me to 2NS Enterprises.  The address label lists NCStar as the shipper, so I'm not sure what the deal is.  Unless NCStar is selling blems or something through the "little guy", I'm confident everything is legit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t know why so many complain about Optics Planet.  I have had nothing but good luck with them over the past 3 years.  I could go back and count but I have placed at least 10 orders with them over the past 18 months and everyone that showed in stock shipped within 1-2 days.  

My order took 3.5 days to ship for the lower vise block.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't forget having their "risk manager" "Boris", contact you to accuse you of conspiring to violate itar and asking for a copy of photo i.d. for a non controlled/non serialized item..likely to cover the fact that they do not actually have the item and to buy time while they desperately try to find a drop shipper to fulfill the order. Seriously..is optics planet really using some scrub named "Boris" to accuse Americans of conspiracy to violate itar?? I'm suspicious that "Boris" might actually violate itar and send defense products back to the enemy in his home land..that would be much more plausible. Pathetic but a true story.

Anyway..no..I was referencing vendors like Primary Arms, Right To Bare, Brownells etc..Actual, reputable vendors who also happen to do alot for the community.

Because the little guy has less accountability and is harder to track down if your credit card gets compromised etc. What is their security protocol regarding protection of your credit card and personal information? It also is shady how these no name vendors and private individuals with no business presence have these before even the company that actually manufacturers them does? Yes I do realize that NC Star has them listed but they are unavailible for purchase. Are these even legit? Are they pirated? How are they getting these before authorized vendors with massive buying power?

Anyway, once a reputable vendor with accountability has these in stock, I will pick one up. They look like a great tool for the money.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Since were talking about this little guy and this particular scenario, this little guy uses PayPal, did on both my transactions so no credit card to be compromised.

They are legit, I contacted NC Star directly and it was them that gave me the "little guys" email address.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don’t know why so many complain about Optics Planet.  I have had nothing but good luck with them over the past 3 years.  I could go back and count but I have placed at least 10 orders with them over the past 18 months and everyone that showed in stock shipped within 1-2 days.  

View Quote

I would use them more if they would just update that website to something from this century.  It is the worst of all the gun part sites I have used.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For whatever it's worth, NCStar customer service directed me to 2NS Enterprises.  The address label lists NCStar as the shipper, so I'm not sure what the deal is.  Unless NCStar is selling blems or something through the "little guy", I'm confident everything is legit.
View Quote

interesting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've only tried once and they failed miserably. I have to think that either that stunt with their "risk manager" "Boris" was a game to distract from the fact that the item they listed as "in stock" actually wasn't....or they are absolutely bat sh!t crazy paranoid about selling non controlled/unserialized/untraceable items to the point of pyschosis. It's also ironic that their "risk manager" who accuses you of conspiracy sounds like a dang russian spy lol. Optics planet is looney tunes cuckoo crazy.

Bottom line is I can walk into any local shop and buy or order the very same item from anyone else online with no questions asked and no need for any identification.

It is a known and repeat phenomenon with them..
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 2nd one came today from that guy working from his email address lol. Best customer service ever. I sometimes buy 2 of things. Several things I bought one of I wish I had now bought 2 of. Couple of examples, KNS Hammer Cage, Schuster Mfg Concentricity gauges, now all discontinued. But at least I have 1 copy of those.

View Quote

Did your second one include the grip screw and tool?? Did you inform him of the missing items during your second order?? Just curious. I’ve ordered one as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Did your second one include the grip screw and tool?? Did you inform him of the missing items during your second order?? Just curious. I’ve ordered one as well.
View Quote

No Sir, my 2nd one did NOT include the grip screw or tool. I did not mention it to him. I have so many grip screws and allen wrnches it never bothered me enough to mention it. I can see however where others might be annoyed by it missing however.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No Sir, my 2nd one did NOT include the grip screw or tool. I did not mention it to him. I have so many grip screws and allen wrnches it never bothered me enough to mention it. I can see however where others might be annoyed by it missing however.

https://i.imgur.com/mevHBHW.jpg
View Quote

Curious, why did you order the second or was one a freebie because you drove the business to him?  I honestly don’t expect you to say it was free if it were.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Curious, why did you order the second or was one a freebie because you drove the business to him?  I honestly don’t expect you to say it was free if it were.
View Quote

I mentionoed in a previous post I sometimes buy more than 1 of some unique tools as they may not always be produced, I mentioned several tools.

No Sir, it was NOT free, I paid full price for both, screen shot of my PayPal for full disclosure. I understand he has now raised the price $9.00 so I wasnt given any discounts either.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Trying to not buy one since I am AR'd out on building, but the price is hard to resist. I buy two of stuff all the time. I wish I had bought a lifetime supply of some stuff that is no longer available.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Trying to not buy one since I am AR'd out on building, but the price is hard to resist. I buy two of stuff all the time. I wish I had bought a lifetime supply of some stuff that is no longer available.
View Quote

YEP, exactly how I think.

I bought 2 of the Mark Brown Customs gas tube gauges, although they were being sold by Brownells, there always on back order. Mark Brown is a one man operation making them in his basement shop and shipping them to Brownells, that production could end any day and that Gauge is a fantastic tool.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I mentionoed in a previous post I sometimes buy more than 1 of some unique tools as they may not always be produced, I mentioned several tools.

No Sir, it was NOT free, I paid full price for both, screen shot of my PayPal for full disclosure. I understand he has now raised the price $9.00 so I wasnt given any discounts either.

https://i.imgur.com/NHY9Lj1.jpg
View Quote

Fair enough and no need to show your PP screen.  

I as well sometimes buy an extra of an item but I don’t see something like this going away, only getting the cost raised like it already was.

I’m kind of sad I did not buy all the Schuster Thread Concentricity gauges and now they are currently not scheduled for production.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I used my NcStar today. To say I am pleased is an understatement. It's literally as easy as installing the lower in the fixture, spin the buffer tube on until it's close, and then mount the buffer tube in the fixture before tightening the castle down all the way. As you mount the buffer tube in the fixture it aligns it with the lower. No issues torqueing to 40 ft lbs. Being able to have one hand on the castle nut tool to keep it in place and the other on the torque wrench pretty much eliminates slippage. Well worth the $47 I paid.

I'd pay $100 or so for one made in the USA. The product original discussed in this thread looks complicated and could probably be simplified substantially. $300+ for this type of tool is out of the reach of most hobbyists.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think these are actually shipping from a neutral warehouse and these vendors are just taking orders.  My order took 3 days to ship from the original person mentioned.  Why on earth would some random no name small supplier have 8-10 of these in stock and someone like Optics Planet has none.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My question is why only no name sellers currently have these?

I think these are actually shipping from a neutral warehouse and these vendors are just taking orders.  My order took 3 days to ship from the original person mentioned.  Why on earth would some random no name small supplier have 8-10 of these in stock and someone like Optics Planet has none.

I received my NcStar lower jig today.  

The finish is good.  I give it a 8 out of 10 overall.  Some of the edges are pretty sharp but nothing that would keep it from doing it’s job.  The anodizing seems fantastic.  The hole where you install the grip screw looks like it was cut with a file.

I don’t like the flimsy screw that holds the tail pc on.  It should have been a 1/4 size screw and it sticks out about 3/16in below the bottom.  You could not lay it flat on a surface.

The two part pc that clamps onto the tube are not machined evenly.  The top half overhangs the lower half on one side.

With all the above said, I mocked up a tube and lower.  It seems like it will work well for it’s intended purpose.  I’m going to assemble a few lowers over the next couple of days to see how well it works.

Also, it’s just like I said above.  The two vendors mentioned in this thread do not have these in stock.  Mine shipped directly from NcStar.  They are entering the orders and NcStar is shipping them.  

Mine did not come with the screw or Allen wrench like it states on the box.  I’m going to send NcStar an email or call and let them know I did not receive them.  Yes, I have maybe 30 grip screws and plenty of Allen keys that I know are better quality but it states it on the box so I’m going to reach out.

Edit, adding pictures below.  I decided to assemble a lower.  It works quite well.  Much better and easier than trying to hold the receiver straight with one hand or using the two vise method.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#21]
deleted
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Second post for more pictures.

The Aero receiver fit pretty good in the block.  You can see in the last pick how it will allow you to install a commercial tube as well.

This would also be a good alternative to that $90 magwell vise block that expands to hold the lower and keep it from having any wobble.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Which retailer has this in stock?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Which retailer has this in stock?
View Quote

None but you can order it through either person/ company mentioned in this thread and they will have one shipped to you direct from NcStar.  It is a fairly quick process from start to finish.  There were two options mentioned with one being about $7 cheaper.  It looks like NcStar ships them within 1-2 days from receiving the order from the company.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#25]
This NcSTAR tool has a Patent Pending, makes you wonder if they will try and enforce it?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This NcSTAR tool has a Patent Pending, makes you wonder if they will try and enforce it?
View Quote

Enforce it on an actual copy, similar or is there one out already like theirs?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I talked some smack in the beginning of this thread when I thought it was just to get the RE straight.  Kinda diggin' those pics of the assy in the vice, being held firmly for LPK assembly.

Magwell blocks, etc were just never adequate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I talked some smack in the beginning of this thread when I thought it was just to get the RE straight.  Kinda diggin' those pics of the assy in the vice, being held firmly for LPK assembly.

View Quote

It definitely holds the entire assembly well (no movement at all).  Like I said up above, cheaper option than that magwell block that expands when you tighten the screw in the center.  I think that magwell block is $90.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not needed, its a solution looking for a problem.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#30]
That's the beauty of America.  Nobody is forcing you to buy anything you don't want, unless it's government health care or vaccination mandates.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I also laughed it off as and OCD mitigation device, but you bring up an application in which it actually makes some sense.  I couldn't care less if my stock is perfectly TDC aligned.  But it is a convenient way to hold a lower for other work such as trigger install, pivot pin, etc.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's the beauty of America.  Nobody is forcing you to buy anything you don't want, unless it's government health care or vaccination mandates.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2022 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

None but you can order it through either person/ company mentioned in this thread and they will have one shipped to you direct from NcStar.  It is a fairly quick process from start to finish.  There were two options mentioned with one being about $7 cheaper.  It looks like NcStar ships them within 1-2 days from receiving the order from the company.
View Quote

Yeah, that's really strange.. like it is somebody's little nephew with an inside connection or something. Why not just make the item live and able to be added to the cart on the NC Star site? That would eliminate any doubt and cut out the middleman, who I'm sure is making something off each sale. I can understand selling through a middleman when using a large and well known vendor because they likely have much more traffic and will attract buyers NC Star may not be able to on their own, and the middleman would likely handle the shipping of individual units, while NC Star just worries about shipping pallets. The current set up offers none of those benefits.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I also laughed it off as and OCD mitigation device, but you bring up an application in which it actually makes some sense.  I couldn't care less if my stock is perfectly TDC aligned.  But it is a convenient way to hold a lower for other work such as trigger install, pivot pin, etc.  Hmmm.
View Quote

Yeah, I never had the BEV block, but just the NoMar mag block which is somewhat loose fitting, and holds the lower above the vice, making it shitty to deal with LPKs.  

This keeps it away from the vice.

I am totally down with chasing it all over my bench, like I have for many, many lowers...but I kinda like the looks of this
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Received mine from Don in like 3 days. Great guy and quick shipping tool looks very good and has already proved helpful.
Simple and easy to use. Needed, No. But it sure does take the guess work out and if using a PWS - Ratchet Lock Castle Nut End Plate set, it just really speeds things up without even trying.
cp
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I added washers to all the screws. Having worked with aluminum the screws will eventually eat into the soft metal during repeated tightening and the washer should prolong the life of this fixture.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I've used my NcStar setup on 5 lowers now. It works well. I'm not too concerned about it being perfectly straight but keeping the tube from rotating when torqued. You can torque 40 ft lbs without any issues at all using the NcStar vise block. It's a shame it's made in China but it works very well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've used my NcStar setup on 5 lowers now. It works well. I'm not too concerned about it being perfectly straight but keeping the tube from rotating when torqued. You can torque 40 ft lbs without any issues at all using the NcStar vise block. It's a shame it's made in China but it works very well.
View Quote

Hard to beat for $39.00.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I received my jig from the Countryshed.com today (it appears that they shipped it, not NC Star).

FYI, it did include the allen wrench, screw, and washer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I used my NCstar block again tonight, cant believe how good this works and for only 39 dollars lol.

I have some plans for some modifications to one of my 2 blocks, more to follow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#41]
The adhesive-backed material to prevent marring the tube came off on mine after first use, otherwise it worked as expected.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I've used mine a lot, having swapped around about a dozen REs for one reason or another.  I had noticed from the get-go the two thumb screws that clamp the RE are fairly short, and yesterday one of the screws stripped, not the hole, but the screw itself.  A trip to the hardware store to get a couple M4 x .7mm x 25mm socket heads, a couple of knurled brass thumb caps, and a tap to drill and cut and re-tap the thumb caps to M4 x .7mm and now both clamp screws are an inch long and I get a much longer bite on the threaded part of the clamp, in fact, some of the threaded part of the screw sticks out of the bottom when tightened down so I am getting a full bite on the lower half.  On mine, the original screws only had about a quarter inch of bite on the bottom half of the clamp and I suppose those Chinese screws were soft because the one stripped out by using on finger pressure to tighten it, and I "ain't no gorilla."
That is my only disappointment so far and it cost me a whole $5 for tap, screws, and caps.  So I'm still about $250 ahead of the game compared to some of the other devices to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've used mine a lot, having swapped around about a dozen REs for one reason or another.  I had noticed from the get-go the two thumb screws that clamp the RE are fairly short, and yesterday one of the screws stripped, not the hole, but the screw itself.  A trip to the hardware store to get a couple M4 x .7mm x 25mm socket heads, a couple of knurled brass thumb caps, and a tap to drill and cut and re-tap the thumb caps to M4 x .7mm and now both clamp screws are an inch long and I get a much longer bite on the threaded part of the clamp, in fact, some of the threaded part of the screw sticks out of the bottom when tightened down so I am getting a full bite on the lower half.  On mine, the original screws only had about a quarter inch of bite on the bottom half of the clamp and I suppose those Chinese screws were soft because the one stripped out by using on finger pressure to tighten it, and I "ain't no gorilla."
That is my only disappointment so far and it cost me a whole $5 for tap, screws, and caps.  So I'm still about $250 ahead of the game compared to some of the other devices to do the same thing.
View Quote

The screw that threads on from the bottom is longer, they should have used that length on all 3.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I took the longer screw out of the bottom, replaced it with a SS hex head screw bought at ACE hardware and moved the longer screw to the top. Since I own 2 of these, I stole the longer screw from my 2nd block and paired it up with the longer screw from my first block so now I have 2 long thumb screws on top, and they are just barely long enough to pass slightly thru.

NC Star needs to use the longer screws on the top.

Since I have 2 of these, thinking of trying a different modification to it using my reaction block and my fly cutter.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I took the longer screw out of the bottom, replaced it with a SS hex head screw bought at ACE hardware and moved the longer screw to the top. Since I own 2 of these, I stole the longer screw from my 2nd block and paired it up with the longer screw from my first block so now I have 2 long thumb screws on top, and they are just barely long enough to pass slightly thru.

NC Star needs to use the longer screws on the top.

Since I have 2 of these, thinking of trying a different modification to it using my reaction block and my fly cutter.

https://i.imgur.com/CJZxgza.jpg
View Quote

Cutting down the reaction block to fit into the NCSTAR tool tower slot?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Picked mine up tonight for $32.00 + shipping.

https://www.thecountryshed.com/
View Quote

price went up to $36.00, plus shipping.

I guess Bidenflation, cost of raw materials, etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Interesting,....... if you already own the Reaction block. This video shows a tool that mates between the reaction block and the pistol grip boss.

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Interesting,....... if you already own the Reaction block. This video shows a tool that mates between the reaction block and the pistol grip boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncfr_Z11uns
View Quote

I’m surprised something like the the tool jig in the video was not offered sooner.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm actually a little surprised by the general tone of people not even understanding why this tool is wanted. Even going so far as to say that it's a "solution in search of a problem".

It does indeed solve an obvious issue that has not been addressed very well through any method outside of the Colt factory, but perhaps it's only something for the AR assembly perfectionists in the group due to what the price is likely going to end up being.

I don't see this as a tool for beginner assemblers at all, though it would certainly help them get things lined up easily... As it is with Colt, a tool similar to this should be in every AR manufacturer's arsenal as it would improve everything from speed of assembly and quality of the job being done (PSA take note).

Is it necessary for the occasional AR hobbyist home assembler? No, you can get by the receiver extension alignment issue in other ways like I have with my alignment wrench, or two vises used in tandem like OTDR and School of the American Rifle showed off in video. This new tool just makes it quick and easy and leaves no room for error... For this, I will own one when it finally comes out.

From my years of being a member on this forum, I've come to the realization that close enough is good enough for 95% of the crowd on here, with the literal pinching of a penny being the most important of their considerations. I face the fact every day on my scrolls through here that guys use the wrong methods and wrong tools for the job being done for every aspect of the assembly prosses and life goes on. It gets my goat sometimes that you can point out the right methods and tooling and people still do it their own way (read wrong), but you can only lead a horse to water.
View Quote

Its convoluting a very straight forward process. If you want to buy it, it doesnt affect anyone else....but its incredibly superfluous.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Its convoluting a very straight forward process. If you want to buy it, it doesnt affect anyone else....but its incredibly superfluous.
View Quote

incredibly superfluous lol. Couldn’t you just say incredibly unnecessary? Trying to impress with fancy words?

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top