User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Once the bbl nut is properly indexed and torqued so that the gas tube aligns with one of the cuts, the rails should line up. There is a few thou of play in the screw holes though, so you can very finely align the upper to the rail before you torque them down. I usually bridge a scope mount there just to make sure it's perfectly aligned before tightening the screws.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have a 10" V3X waiting for an 11.5 build. I was wondering though, is there any leeway for top alignment of the rail with the upper 1913 rail once the barrel nut is indexed? Or is the top aligment fully dictated by barrel nut position.

Once the bbl nut is properly indexed and torqued so that the gas tube aligns with one of the cuts, the rails should line up. There is a few thou of play in the screw holes though, so you can very finely align the upper to the rail before you torque them down. I usually bridge a scope mount there just to make sure it's perfectly aligned before tightening the screws.

Perfect, that was what I planned on doing. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I much prefer the BCM rail install.  I do wish they had a little more girth to them, closer to that of the ALG rails.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Never been a fan of the ALG Defense EMR handgurds. There is absolutely no appeal for me to buy one. In actuality, I prefer MI handguards (most any type) over ALGs. I am willing to spend more money on handguards that not only work for me, but look much better than the ALGs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The EMR is OK.  I have a V1 dickmod on a 9mm AR with the suppressor partially inside.  Fantastic blem deal on closeout.  It worked well for this application but I tend to like them thinner without any mounting hardware bumps by the magwell.

I like and have used Noveske NSR, the UTG Pro M-LOK, Aero R and S-ones, and recently the MCMR.  MCMR in particular really impressed me with the mounting method.

All my quad rails are gone.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
No.  SLR.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the EMR V3 I have. I'm considering getting another eventually. As others have noticed, though, it gets hot pretty quickly. I solved that problem with M-Lok Griffin Armament rail panels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Love my ALG rail. I don't recall which model it is, but I'm looking to replace a Centurion C4 quad with one. They are light, comfortable, and the price is right.

My only complaint is I also struggled with the shims... Lots of tinkering during installation. The marker/colored product to identify the sizes wiped away on several so it was hard to know which one was which. Eventually got it figured out and haven't had any issues.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I always liked the handguards for their slim and clean form factor. I think the EMR V2 MLOK as a design is hard to beat. It is slim and round where you need it and transitions nicely from the upper receiver forward, as well as back up to the front sight section of picatinny.

I never did like the barrel nut though. While not needing a torque wrench was nice, I don't like screws that you can cross thread into an aluminum barrel nut or lose. Also, the screws get hot much faster than the rail and can easily burn you if you grab the rifle by the barrel nut area for a one-handed carry.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a ALG emrv2 and I love it, I will probably buy more. I enjoy their ACT triggers as well
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So did ALG discontinue the V0-E and V1?
View Quote

Not sure if the V0-E is discontinued or if they’re just doing runs every so often.

10” V0-E rails are currently $30.00 on their site. I snagged a 13” at that price a few days ago.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I have five.

Three V0s. For $40 you can't beat them

Two V3s.

I like the round tube over squared or angled
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck getting their cowitness rail for front sights. I waited for them to come in stock and bought 3 but only need one. Found someone looking for them and sold the 2 to him. Love the simple rail with not many slots but they should include the damn cowitness rail for backup sights.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Shot my 11.5 build with a V3 today, one thing for sure they definitely get hot quick. Got some Slate black covers on the way
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's hard to beat from a value standpoint.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those links go to brownells?

Also, no, the alg loses on all three points. Also the most important point, looks.

https://www.unbrandedar.com/ForendRails-s/180.htm

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Unbranded-AR-handguard-unboxing-and-review-/12-748763/
View Quote

Lol, are you serious?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#20]
ALG is good quality, but far from best.  BCM, Centurion Arms, Wilson Combat, Geissele just to name a few better looking, equal quality,  more practical for adding a light, MBUIS, etc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lol, are you serious?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, no, the alg loses on all three points. Also the most important point, looks.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Unbranded-AR-handguard-unboxing-and-review-/12-748763/

Lol, are you serious?

The point about looks being the most important part, was a joke. The rest was not.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a few, very good kit.

The only downside is that they use cheap mounting screws that easily round out when you try to remove the rail from the upper. They need to upgrade the screws to torx heads similar to what Aero uses.

I have a BCM and it’s also very good, but I feel the diameter is too small. The BCM is the only clamp style rail I would ever consider after the crap I got from MI that was so raved about...you couldn’t gift me a clamp on rail, it would never make it on any of my weapons, Aero and ALG are my go-to rails with their mounting systems.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lol, are you serious?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, are you serious?

Anti Rotation Tabs
Anti Slip Screw
Made in USA
Don't need to time/shim barrel nut

Seems good to go imo. I wish I stumbled across this before paying $190+ for my BCM MCR
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]
My only complaint is that the built-in semi-rotational QD sling attachment kind of sucks, and I don't trust it. I'd rather they had just put a half-section of MLOK in its place so that you could put a more solid mount that far back.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#25]
LMT monolithic upper master race.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ALG is good quality, but far from best.  BCM, Centurion Arms, Wilson Combat, Geissele just to name a few better looking, equal quality,  more practical for adding a light, MBUIS, etc.
View Quote
The V3 is no different than the others for mounting accessories.  And looks are subjective.

Tell me how a MK16 is worth 2x a EMR V3

And for anyone who thinks the shims and the way the nut is torqued is an issue, It's no different than the venerable KAC URX4.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My only complaint is that the built-in semi-rotational QD sling attachment kind of sucks, and I don't trust it. I'd rather they had just put a half-section of MLOK in its place so that you could put a more solid mount that far back.
View Quote
I agree. Even Geissele's high end rails don't have a steel QD socket. Easy $15 fix.

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-micro-mount/

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And for anyone who thinks the shims and the way the nut is torqued is an issue, It's no different than the venerable KAC URX4.
View Quote

Agreed, it's just as much an unnecessary pain in the ass now as it was then.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've got a couple ALGs. The Shim-O-Rama mounting method is dumb. The barrel nut wrench you have to buy and can't put a torque wrench on is dumb. No one should be using barrel nuts that have to be timed with shims in this day and age. The rails aren't particularly cheap after you buy the wrench and rail sections, if you need  them. Those things aside, they are sturdy and well made. They also mate up perfectly with Silencerco's ASR mounts if you like a continuous look, and the grey is a great color.
View Quote

Amen to that.
I have one (EMR-V1) and find the finished product very acceptable and of decent quality. I only needed to remove the tabs to fit it to my lefty Gibbz (side-charger). I had a very good machinist neighbor give it a try. He cussed more than I. I bet we used over 20 assorted shims to no avail. In the end, I used whatever shims (no longer remember), tightened it well and to alignment and called it good. Never again. I do like my SSA-E triggers though.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#31]
The shim chart that comes in the instructions can be "off", this has worked better for me.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Improved-ALG-EMR-Hanguard-Timing-Shim-Chart/12-715990/

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#33]
While I appreciate ALG...

This thread helped answer my questions about these HG’s.

I’ll buy once, cry once elsewhere.

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Those ALG rails look boring and lame.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Those ALG rails look boring and lame.
View Quote
The V0 and V1s are.  I do have two V0s cause they were less than $50 and are functional.

The V3s look good to me and they feel right in the hand.

Many other rails are hexagon or octagon shaped and not natural to hold.

10" V3
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've replaced most of my AR handguards with ALG Defense EMR handgurds.  I like them so much I wrote an article on why they rock.

1. Best mounting method
2. Best ergonomics (the E in EMR)
3. Best value
View Quote

how could you forget

4. Best handguard for burning your hand, since some models are poorly engineered and don't dissipate heat so you have to buy a wrap.
5. Best handguard for mis-shimming and increasing install time with a pre-historic mounting method.

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#39]
There is nothing wrong with using shims. (there was a need for a better chart)

It's a one a done thing.  Are you swapping rails daily?

It takes me 15 minutes at most to install.

takes me longer to time a muzzle device.

as far as heat is concerned.  All rails heat up. They are made of a material that conducts heat.

A rail that stays away from the barrel won't heat up as much, but then you have a fat ass rail.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top