Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2017 3:45:42 PM EDT
Hey guys I feel like i have said this a thousand times but I am new to ar type rifles so I do not know what is normal. I just got a bcm upper yesterday and I was gonna go shoot it tomorrow so today I broke it down to clean and oil it while doing so i noticed some weird color on my front sight. It is only on one side and if you look even closer it looks like a streak of rust. I was wondering if it is normal or if it is rust. If it is rust how do I go about fixing it? I just got it yesterday from bcm I will attach pictures. Thanks.

https://postimg.org/image/9is9fbl4qz/

https://postimg.org/image/5ht1f3ez0r/
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Put oil on it and forget about it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Just the steel roll pin that holds the end of the gas tube. Clean it, lube it. I don't see any issue.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay so its not rust? What causes it to discolor like that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay so its not rust? What causes it to discolor like that?
View Quote
Not all roll pins are coated, and one that small could have scratched off the coating on assembly, and developed some surface rust.

If you absolutely had to replace it that's not a problem. But it's nothing to worry about. Clean the surface rust off with a brush. Oil, go shoot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I would wager a guess that when they were installing the gas tube roll pin, they first dipped it in grease.
The grease filled the slot/hole in the roll pin.
When you oiled the rifle, it broke the grease down and dripped out.
I would just wipe it down and shoot it.
A lot.
Then after that, shoot it a bunch more.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I plan to shoot it a lot then a lot more. I dont really care if its discolored I just didnt want to have to worry about rust so if it is just grease thats fine. I heard stories of the filthy 14 and this rifle is that rifle so I expect it to chug a long fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried to wipe it off with clp and a cloth and it will not come off.  Will the 0000 steel wool work or will it scratch up the fsb?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Happened in the Army regularly. Go to the field, shoot, FSB gets hot, oil cooks off, moisture in air starts a little rust overnight, and FSB gets a light patina to it by morning. No biggie, brush it off with chamber brush, rub in a couple drops of oil and drive on.

It can happen to the FH as well for the same basic reasons and is resolved the same way. Nothing else would get affected normally, just the FSB and FH if you're shooting enough to really heat it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top