Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 8:18:52 AM EDT
Yea I know. But I have my eyes on a BCM Recce KMR-A 14LW. It has a 10” keymod rail. With BCM coming out with their mlok rails this week is it a bad buy? I’m thinking the only thing that was keeping keymod going was BCM. Now that they are doing mlok I’m thinking that keymod will go extinct, except for shelving units.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I was never really a fan of Keymod from the get go so, never invested in that rail or system. I personally prefer the aesthetics of the MLOK but, at the end of the day, it will just be a personal choice. I do get what you're saying given the fact that the Military may adopt MLOK but, I think that there is enough Keymod rails and accessories on the market as of now to justify continued production to support it. Not sure just how long that may be but, I don't see it going away anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
BCM has done their due diligence and decided to go MLOK.  That in itself should be enough indication.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer MLOK but I don't think Keymod will die out that quick as BCM has too much invested in it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yea I know. But I have my eyes on a BCM Recce KMR-A 14LW. It has a 10” keymod rail. With BCM coming out with their mlok rails this week is it a bad buy? I’m thinking the only thing that was keeping keymod going was BCM. Now that they are doing mlok I’m thinking that keymod will go extinct, except for shelving units.
View Quote

MLOK all the way because of the bold. Keymod reminds me of Home Depot product shelves. I just can't do it.

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is going to dwindle with time I think but so much key(Penis)-mod exist no one is jumping ship just yet.  I think M-Lok accessories will continue to explode like the Kinetic Development QD stuff for M-Lok.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you're correct.

Personally, I think Keymod is going to pretty much drop off the face of the earth, and sooner rather than later.  BCM found out they aren't Magpul and accessory makers have little incentive.  With Picatinny and M-LOK now the de facto standards, the number of Keymod users is effectively maxed out at the present and will only dwindle with time.  That's because the guys who adopted Keymod over Picatinny are the same guys who chase the latest and greatest parts and accessories that supposedly are better in some way.  They will switch out for the latest sexy thing (that just so happens will likely be in M-LOK).  In a couple years it will pretty much be, "Hey, remember Keymod?"

I wouldn't buy anything Keymod anymore.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever engineering superiority keymod might have over m-lok has been completely overshadowed by the "dickmod" association and ascetic appeal of M-Lok.  Baring something like official adoption by the military, keymod is going the way of betamax.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The main upside for keymod now is the cost

Because m lok is more popular I can score keymod stuff much cheaper for my more budget friendly builds

I loc tite my stuff and it’s held up just fine but I’m not jumping over fences and out of airplanes with my guns

I still prefer my KAC DD quad rails over keymod and m lok though

From everything I’ve seen if you abuse both enuf stuff will pop off

Also I like the looks of keymod/mlok/and quads
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#10]
As soon as some SF/Delta/Ninjas are caught with the newest Mlok HK416 / Mk 18.5 Giessele handguards, the KeyMod fanboys will jump to Mlok and act like they were Mlok from the start.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As soon as some SF/Delta/Ninjas are caught with the newest Mlok HK416 / Mk 18.5 Giessele handguards, the KeyMod fanboys will jump to Mlok and act like they were Mlok from the start.
View Quote
Do not hate on our resident mall ninjary.  Pic or M-Lok has always been my choice.  I chose M-Lok because I had MOE handguards and the parts just swapped.  Plus the M-Lok looks better on the SCAR than penis-mod and pic rails.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because m lok is more popular I can score keymod stuff much cheaper for my more budget friendly builds
View Quote
+1

With the increasing popularity of m-lok, keymod is going to be great for budget friendly builds, because the handguards from quality manufacturers will be less expensive, and because of the wide availability of keymod accessories (currently greater availability than m-lok) which will also be less expensive than their m-lok counterparts
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
+1

With the increasing popularity of m-lok, keymod is going to be great for budget friendly builds, because the handguards from quality manufacturers will be less expensive, and because of the wide availability of keymod accessories (currently greater availability than m-lok) which will also be less expensive than their m-lok counterparts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

That will only last until they finish liquidating their inventories.  Because it requires on more intricate machining, Keymod is more expensive to manufacture than M-LOK.  Keymod is done.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Any good deals on dickmod handguards yet? I got a M&P sport 2 that could use something nicer than the stock plastic guards.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got two Keymod railed guns that I like just fine and won't swap out. I'm not a hard use guy really and the system has worked flawlessly for what I need it to do. I probably won't build another one with Keymod though because it seems like the market is moving towards MLOK. Fine by me, I just need an attachment system that works.

Did have to build a CWAR with MLOK to avoid the abuse. No regrets there either - MLOK is great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Random double post
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think you're correct.

Personally, I think Keymod is going to pretty much drop off the face of the earth, and sooner rather than later.  BCM found out they aren't Magpul and accessory makers have little incentive.  With Picatinny and M-LOK now the de facto standards, the number of Keymod users is effectively maxed out at the present and will only dwindle with time.  That's because the guys who adopted Keymod over Picatinny are the same guys who chase the latest and greatest parts and accessories that supposedly are better in some way.  They will switch out for the latest sexy thing (that just so happens will likely be in M-LOK).  In a couple years it will pretty much be, "Hey, remember Keymod?"

View Quote
When keymod came out, everyone said picatinny quad rails would drop off the face of the earth, yet companies continue to release quad rails and they continue to sell

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I've run KM without issue.  I also have an integrated rail at the end, so the light mount locking mechanism is not KM.  My VFG mounts directly to the KM slots and hasn't had an issue.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When keymod came out, everyone said picatinny quad rails would drop off the face of the earth, yet companies continue to release quad rails and they continue to sell
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/725/725128.jpg
https://cdn3.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-QRF-12-556-BLK-3.jpg
View Quote
That's because everyone assumed Keymod superior to picatinny. It isn't.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Here we go again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Keymod is much easier to install imo, but m-lok looks cooler for the most part, although I do think keymod  looks better on a few certain rifles.

I don't think keymod will go extinct anytime soon as far as that goes though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol so you'd take this

Over this?

You need those 150 picatinny slots, eh?  You like that extra weight and cinder block feel?  Cool beans.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the MLOK looks because it would be a really good way to show off a nice barrel.  Very similar to the VTAC spec Kyle Lamb and JP developed.

KM probably isn't going anywhere because there are definitely quality pieces from a lot of MFGs (Noveske, VLTOR, BCM, PWS) that install much easier than MLOK.

Certainly my favorite VFG to run outside of a KAC is the BCM.  It just locks up solid.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm old school.  I like quad rails and do not like the idea of adding another level of mechanical interface between the weapon and the accessory mounted to it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
lol so you'd take this
https://cdn3.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/DD-09186-3.jpg
Over this?
https://www.rainierarms.com/media/product/bfc/bcm-ar-15-gunfighter-kmr-15-bcm-kmr-15-556-blk-by-bravo-company-mfg-color-black-aaa.jpg

You need those 150 picatinny slots, eh?  You like that extra weight and cinder block feel?  Cool beans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol so you'd take this
Over this?
https://www.rainierarms.com/media/product/bfc/bcm-ar-15-gunfighter-kmr-15-bcm-kmr-15-556-blk-by-bravo-company-mfg-color-black-aaa.jpg

To each their own.

I could have gotten a BCM 11.5 with keymod for about $200 cheaper. Instead paid more and got the 10" CA C4 and never regretted it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Love the KMR's.  Look forward to people jumping ship on them.  Hopefully I can get a couple more of the older magnesium rails.  Jump people jump.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're correct.

I don't remember "everybody" saying that at all, except MAYBE in the BCM and Geissele fanboy echo chamber threads.  I remember general promises / hopes that accessory makers would get onboard with Keymod and a general lamentation that many popular accessories were only still available in Picatinny.  I remember people making the wry observation that the most popular Keymod attachments were Picatinny rails.   I remember the general observation that, despite what Keymod brought to the table (primarily it allowed easy accessory attachment and thin, lightweight rails), it wasn't going to be enough for the US military to dump its heavy investment in Picatinny systems.  That's what I remember.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm old school.  I like quad rails and do not like the idea of adding another level of mechanical interface between the weapon and the accessory mounted to it.
View Quote
You can get key mod or Mlok specific accessories
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
To each their own.
I could have gotten a BCM 11.5 with keymod for about $200 cheaper. Instead paid more and got the 10" CA C4 and never regretted it.
View Quote
I know, right?  I just picked up a Troy MRF-C.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Personally I think KeyMod accessories mount better.  I like MLOK more though because of looks.  Looks are everything.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Personally I think KeyMod accessories mount better.  I like MLOK more though because of looks.  Looks are everything.
View Quote
Keymod mounts faster.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:47:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Have both and will buy more of both based on quality and price. Latest purchase was a MI 15" gen3 mlok and on sale for $100 PWS 12" keymod DI rail. Still like the more intricately machined appearance and quick field use of keymod versus mlok and both over a quadrail.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#34]
M-LOK from the beginning!  KeyMod = Ugly!  My rifles have to have a lil' style  

I ran with a JP hand guard on my 16" SPR(Mk12)/3-Gun and picatinny quads on the carbines.  A Geissele 13" Mk8 M-Lok was 1st on the list for my last build.  A Mk8 9.5" M-Lok is going on my next build.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:20:21 AM EDT
[#35]
M-Lok purely for aesthetics for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your main worry is keymod going extinct then don’t worry keymod will be around for one simple reason

Keymod was released under open source

M-lok was released under free license

Anyone wanting to make keymod can do so without having to wait/get approval from Magpul and meet there mfg standards

So if you like that upper I say buy it ultimately it’s your $$$$ and you decide whether you like it

There are pros and cons to each system and there will always be fan boys of certain said systems this goes back to the 9vs45 .556 vs .308 steel vs plastic lol

I have a feeling if you buy that upper keymod or m-lok it will serve you well BCM makes quality stuff
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://cdn3.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-QRF-12-556-BLK-3.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Came to post a about this.  I am "old school"  apparently but have a the 10" inbound for my 11.5 middy build.

Quoted:

lol so you'd take this
Over this?

I almost picked up one of those "super cheese grader" DD rails, but the price on them is pretty stupid so I passed.  It would have been for a 16" or 20" build though.

To answer your question though OP I would go mlok.  From an outsider who has invested in neither system TO ME that MLOK is the way most people and MFGs seem to be leaning.  I also admit i have not followed either system so my assertation on the topic may be erroneous.

IIRC when the military did testing on both systems I believe they found MLOK accessories and rail sections to retain more securely when dropped as well as returning back to zero if taken off and reattached.

As usual I also prefer the look of MLOK to the dick mod.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To each their own.
Good choice!

I see the advantages of the keymod/mlok with compared to the quads... I just don't think they "look" right, if that makes any sense.

As far as the "cheese grader" talk... I have Tango Down stubby's on all my AR's and incorporate the late Pat Rogers grip, so that doesn't effect me.

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I want this BCM rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I like Keymod, and own two KMRs, but the writing is on the wall.

Hopefully BCM offers the Mlok rails with no hardware so those with KMRs can swap them if desired without having to buy everything.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#41]
According to the military, the M-LOK is the "better" product. http://soldiersystems.net/2017/03/31/ussocom-selects-m-lok-for-weapon-programs/

For regular users, unless you are frequently taking items off or abusing it with accessories on, I don't think you'd have any issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#42]
If you have real key-mod accessories, with the locating raised area on the mounting surface, which drops into a key-mod hole, it is absolutely more positive than M-lok.  Unfortunately many accessories don't have this locking tab.  The cheap accessories will not be as secure as Mlok.  However the real ones with the locating tab are as secure as any mounting system.  I also HATE the difficulty in securing the M-Lok accessories with the spinning nut.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Already had a lot of MLOK stuff from my MOE furniture on most of my ARs, so going to MLOK Free Float rails is a "Keep On Rocking" high five for me!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you have real key-mod accessories, with the locating raised area on the mounting surface, which drops into a key-mod hole, it is absolutely more positive than M-lok.  Unfortunately many accessories don't have this locking tab.  The cheap accessories will not be as secure as Mlok.  However the real ones with the locating tab are as secure as any mounting system.  I also HATE the difficulty in securing the M-Lok accessories with the spinning nut.
View Quote
I wasn't aware of this distinction.  Was it even factored into the official SOCOM test criteria?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Superior in lighter-weight rails (same for MLOK), superior for more mounting options (same for MLOK). It depends on which part you are talking about. Because in general, you are right, they are both equal. But as I just pointed out two areas where keymod and mlok surpass picatinny.

Quoted:
IIRC when the military did testing on both systems I believe they found MLOK accessories and rail sections to retain more securely when dropped as well as returning back to zero if taken off and reattached.

As usual I also prefer the look of MLOK to the dick mod.
Naval Special Warfare - Crane did a test of rail systems. I would love to see them repeat that test using BETTER rail mounting systems. Take a Daniel Defense rail or better yet, as BCM just came out with MLOK and Picatiny rails that mount onto the same interface as the KMRA, use BCM rails in that test.

I do not trust the small screws that secure most other free float rails. I honestly believe that BCM and DD have superior rail-mounting systems. I will not use anything else.

Quoted:
I think this is the biggest thing that anti-keymod people miss. I am not pro-keymod, but facts must be pointed out. Mlok and KM do the same job, and do it equally as well in my opinon. I like both but currently only run a KMRA rail (working on getting a 14.5" middy pin and welded MCMR and KMRA twin set). When I bought my KMRA railed upper, it was the only rail offered on the setup I was after, I took the chance on it and am very happy.

I will always believe the test done by Crane as incomplete. If they redid the test with better rail mounting systems (BCM would be my choice, since they make all three platforms, in the same sizes, and using the same mounting hardware I trust) then I'd put more water into that test. Until that point, I will run a KMRA on my 300BLK, a QRF on a rebuild I am planning, and a twin 14.5" middy twin set (one KMRA and one MCMR).
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't mind either but I usually have clearance issues around the gas block with mlok accessories due to the screw length.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
According to the military, the M-LOK is the "better" product.
http://soldiersystems.net/2017/03/31/ussocom-selects-m-lok-for-weapon-programs/

For regular users, unless you are frequently taking items off or abusing it with accessories on, I don't think you'd have any issue.
View Quote
SOCOM specifies MLOK

And that's really the bottom line. When DoD at large does the same thing, that's that, as they say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top