Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2017 11:33:29 PM EDT
What is the consensus on the geissele super 42 buffer spring system? Is it worth picking up and how does it compare with Sprinco Blue, Strike Industries or CS Flat wire springs?

Also, can it be used with a spikes T2? I have seen where geissele states to use their buffer but I also know someone who said that geissele had told him that a standard sized buffer would work too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Buffer/spring if proprietary.
I just picked one up myself for my SB PDW brace, have not got a chance to install and test yet. Looks very nice, clean, and durable (not surprised, being geissele) Anyone else got any idea if it will work?
BCM PCT Trigger
BCM Bolt carrier
11.5 spikes/fn 249 barrel
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one to try just so I could Geissele as many things as possible, but haven't shot it enough to determine it wear characteristics.

I know one member who hates them, claiming short life with nothing other than that posted as to why.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know one member who hates them, claiming short life with nothing other than that posted as to why.
View Quote
That's interesting...seems like one of the benefits (according to G) of running the -42 is the longevity it offers. Hmm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#4]
The super 42 spring has a smaller inside diameter than a standard spring so it takes a proprietary buffer. Geissle sells extra tungsten weights so you disassemble the buffer and make the buffer either h2 or h3.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone running one with the SBPDW brace? I bought it to on my 11.5 5.56 Spike/FN m249 barrel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:33:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I only have two sets in my 10.5" & 8.5" SBR's, but I plan on replacing all of my recoil assemblies with the Geissele Super 42's within the next month or so. The difference between the S42 versus Sprinco, or any other "premium" buffer spring assembly is very noticeable. First, the buffer tube noise is all but eliminated, secondly the gun recoils much softer, and finally simply pulling back the charging handle results in such a smooth motion you'd swear you swapped it out with a hydraulic system. this is such an overused phrase, but it's buttery smooth. In my opinion you should also buy the extra Tungsten weights, and swap them with the steel weights in the buffer. Before you compare the Tubbs Flatwire, don't, the two are very different feeling wise. Geissele has something special with the Super 42.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Works as advertised. Like most things Geissele, a quality addition to my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I probably have 100K rounds in my life on a stock Colt or LMT spring and H2 buffer with no problems related to either.  

I'm not sure what a $65 spring and buffer is going to 'fix'.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Not wanting to fix anything, just needed another buffer and spring for my next build. Wanted to try something different.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not wanting to fix anything, just needed another buffer and spring for my next build. Wanted to try something different.
View Quote
G makes good stuff so I guess that fills your "wanted to try something different" requirement. I don't see the need for a proprietary setup for something so simple but it's your money.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#12]
debating on picking one of these up tomorrow since they're on sale still. will still need a buffer tube though. any recommendations on where to get a 7075 one at a good price?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I probably have 100K rounds in my life on a stock Colt or LMT spring and H2 buffer with no problems related to either.

View Quote
It's pretty rare for a stock Colt spring to last that long. Generally, somewhere between three and ten thousand rounds they will have lost strength. My experience with an issued M16A4 was that the spring was no longer able to load the first round in a 30rd magazine. The other 29 cycled fine every time. The spring met .mil length tests.

Sprinco springs are supposed last 1,000,000+ cycles and cost $20.

Damage Industries enhanced springs are supposed to last 750,000+ cycles and cost $5.

Geissele's spring is supposed to last 50,000 cycles and cost $40 to $60 with buffer. It has to use their buffer because the wound spring setup is too thick to fit traditional buffers.

Personally, I normally use Damage springs. I've also got a few Sprinco's for specialty applications.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's pretty rare for a stock Colt spring to last that long. Generally, somewhere between three and ten thousand rounds they will have lost strength. My experience with an issued M16A4 was that the spring was no longer able to load the first round in a 30rd magazine. The other 29 cycled fine every time. The spring met .mil length tests.

Damage Industries enhanced springs are supposed to last 750,000+ cycles and cost $5.

Geissele's spring is supposed to last 50,000 cycles and cost $40 to $60 with buffer. It has to use their buffer because the wound spring setup is too thick to fit traditional buffers.

Personally, I normally use Damage springs. I've also got a few Sprinco's for specialty applications.
View Quote
I’ve never used the Super 42, but all the raving reviews has got me curious. I originally was going to go with a tom’s tactical buffer tube kit for $45 with an H buffer. Saw the Geissele on sale and it got me curious. Don’t really see any bad reviews on it, and most people says it made their gun shoot smoother. So I began toying with the idea of trying it out
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not saying it's a bad product.  I just normally go a cheaper route.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I have these in all of my rifles now. Works perfect in 10.5 and 16", carbine and midlength gas.  Zero malfunctions and yes I def noticed smoother shooting
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]
65 worth of awesome?  Nope.  40-45ish like they have been this past weekend from a few places?  Since they include an H buffer, yeah, worth a shot.  I have a few and they work just fine.  I'll likely never shoot 100k rounds through one like others have claimed they have done with a standard spring, but I trust the guy making them and feel confident that they'll last the life of the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I have two of them in my SBR's and they work great. I don't know if I'll ever shoot them out though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
debating on picking one of these up tomorrow since they're on sale still. will still need a buffer tube though. any recommendations on where to get a 7075 one at a good price?
View Quote
Grabbed 2 off of brownells, 7075.  Not sure how much longer the sale and free shipping is though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Grabbed 2 off of brownells, 7075.  Not sure how much longer the sale and free shipping is though.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably take the plunge at the current price
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't mean that I used the same buffer spring all my life.  The buffer spring gets replaced with every extractor spring and gas rings around 3K rounds.  A $9 buffer spring every $900 worth of ammo ain't a big deal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I didn't mean that I used the same buffer spring all my life.  The buffer spring gets replaced with every extractor spring and gas rings around 3K rounds.  A $9 buffer spring every $900 worth of ammo ain't a big deal.  
View Quote
That makes more sense.  I was thinking there is no way he's got 100k on a stock spring, but I didn't want to hoist a BS flag as you've always been a straight shooter IME.

I just replace with Sprinco extractor/ejector springs at the first extraction/ejection bobble.  Given the $5 damage springs I just start there on most builds.  I'm not going to lie, most my builds aren't getting super high round counts.  I haven't been getting enough range time and I've got a bunch of AR's.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine don't either anymore.   I have VLTOR A5 extensions on everything now and a few spare Colt springs that I'll probably never wear out.

I tried Sprinco in the past and it worked fine.  I have heard great things about their extractor springs.  Are they stainless?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mine don't either anymore.   I have VLTOR A5 extensions on everything now and a few spare Colt springs that I'll probably never wear out.

I tried Sprinco in the past and it worked fine.  I have heard great things about their extractor springs.  Are they stainless?
View Quote
No, they're cryo treated chrome silicon.  Supposed to last 200k+ cycles.  More than I'm ever going to shoot through one bolt.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, they're cryo treated chrome silicon.  Supposed to last 200k+ cycles.  More than I'm ever going to shoot through one bolt.
View Quote
200k will outlast your extractor and bolt quite a bit to.

I use a springco in every new build now. I see it at a lifetime part I don't have to worry about and they are very smooth. I need to get some of their extractor springs.

The G IMO might have been made just for G fanboys. I don't want a spring that takes proprietary buffer that cost more than springs that will last longer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#27]
The proprietary buffer doesn't bother me as much as the proprietary spring.

I like A5 because it uses a regular ol rifle spring. The consumable part should be the easy thing to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top