User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bash a lot of things that I have no personal experience with. I usually prefer to learn from others mistakes.
View Quote

Fair enough. What about the plethora of rifles here built using PSA premium parts with zero issues? Every single firearm company has issues. All they all trash?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Double
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll add another vote for Mega.  Outstanding quality!
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Thus far I personally have built out the following stripped lowers:
2x LAR Grizzly
2x PSA
1x Mega Arms Gator
1x Bushmaster
2x Anderson
1x Doublestar
1x Colt Competition
1x LRB Arms

Nothing in particularly terrible or wonderful stood out about any, minor differences in finish (I really like the satin sheen the Doublestar lower has, and the LRB had strange "spots" in the anodizing) and both Andersons I have used had a backstrap area that seemed excessively relieved, Magpul MOE grips left an unsightly gap between the receiver and the backstrap portion of the grip (this was remedied by using a BCM gunfighter grip, whose backstrap hugged the rear contour of the lower better). I realize my sample size on all these is rather small, but I have yet to come across any lower that parts simply wouldn't fit into or function correctly in, so what it comes down to is what rollmark you like best and how much you're interested in spending.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Everything from PSA is junk, so I'm assuming that their lowers are too... They are better than Anderson though.
Yes, many brands source many things from the same suppliers, usually made to that specific brand's very specific set of specifications.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Avoid PSA.

Lol. Are their 7075-T6 mil spec lowers less mil spec than other 7075-T6 mil spec lowers?
Many AR brands use the same suppliers for forged receivers.

Everything from PSA is junk, so I'm assuming that their lowers are too... They are better than Anderson though.
Yes, many brands source many things from the same suppliers, usually made to that specific brand's very specific set of specifications.

You don't know what you are talking about.

PSA BCGs are made by Toolcraft (military contracted).
PSA Premium and CHF barrels are made by FN (military contracted).
PSA LPKs are made by  L.W. Schneider (military contracted).
PSA lowers are machined by Aero, which you said is good in the same post you said PSA is bad.
PSA uppers are Anchor Harvey Aluminum Forging/splintered A (used by Colt and many other brands).

Quoted:
Sucky quality control and bad assembly monkeys.

Stripped lowers require no assembly and you've already posted that you have no experience with PSA products, which is evident.

Why don't you share some personal experience instead of spreading false rumors you "read on a forum."
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
MEGA all the way for me, Whenever I'm building a high quality gun it goes on a MEGA receiver.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I really liked the AGP Arms lowers I got a while back. Very well made, very nice finish, good fit with uppers and a reasonable logo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Building from a stripped lower there are few things that separate brands.
Some may look a little different due to machining or finishing treatments but most are very similar, and assembling it yourself using quality hardware makes all the difference.

I've built a few with PSA and Anderson and have had no major issues with either, though I do prefer the fit and finish of Aero receivers due to the extra features they add that are not on most others...threaded detent hole, flared magwell, and a tension adjustment screw.  
These don't add much if anything to the final cost, just shop the sales.

As posted above, PSA does indeed use a lot of very high quality hardware, but I have had a few issues with their in-house assembly of uppers...badly canted sights, loose or over-torqued barrel nuts, etc...the QC is lacking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Mega and Aero Precision are my two preferred.  Both are aviation and/or aerospace contractors. It used to be with those two that they were just making receivers when they had machines that would otherwise sit idle.  So availability was hit and miss. Aero now has a dedicated division for guns, Mega has additional products they have designed, but not sure if they make full time or still just fill in the gaps.

A forging is a chunk of aluminum that is shaped about like the receiver, then it gets machined into a receiver.  So a great forging going through a bad machine shop gives you a junky receiver.  

It is easy to hate PSA due to their bad service.  They offer different quality levels and are vague on the actual quality of everything except their premium.  So there is alot of hate out there for anything associated with them.  I don't buy there anymore no matter the price.  Sale prices is how they got where they are.

Anderson popped onto the scene when I wasn't paying attention, so I don't know anything about them, other then low price.  I'm not excited about a business or product that competes for the bottom, so have never been tempted to try them. especially since Aero is readily available.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Actually, Aero is one of the companies who actually forge lowers. They forge for numerous other companies
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, it sounds like you want a good lower with a respected name on it that represents your desire for quality, am I right?  Most people here will say buy whatever rollmark floats your boat, but I am going to say buy the lower with a great reputation for quality, respectability, but is still stylish.  You want this:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/IMG_2193_zpsc0fcdcc7.jpg

This by a long shot... Probably the highest quality forged lower on the market.

Aero Precision is good too, not BAD good but good.

Avoid PSA and Anderson.

I'm fairly sure Aero forges for PSA.....

Aero doesn't forge anything. They are a machine shop.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did machine lowers for PSA to PSA's standards.

Actually, Aero is one of the companies who actually forge lowers. They forge for numerous other companies

I have never seen anything to indicate that Aero does any forging. So I sent them an e-mail asking about it.

This is from the FAQ on their site:

Q. WHAT BRAND OF FORGINGS DO YOU USE?

A. We use several different sources but our forgings are primarily from Anchor Harvey and Cerro. We have found both of them to offer the highest quality forgings.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fair enough. What about the plethora of rifles here built using PSA premium parts with zero issues? Every single firearm company has issues. All they all trash?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bash a lot of things that I have no personal experience with. I usually prefer to learn from others mistakes.

It's simply not enough for me to give them a passing grade, PSA has far to many problem threads.

PSA is popular for the same reason RRA became popular back in the early days of the AR boom... Affordable low quality parts.

There have been at least a few companies that have held that position over the years and PSA won't be the last since Anderson is nudging in on that position.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

PSA lowers are machined by Aero, which you said is good in the same post you said PSA is bad.
PSA uppers are Anchor Harvey Aluminum Forging/splintered A (used by Colt and many other brands).

Stripped lowers require no assembly and you've already posted that you have no experience with PSA products, which is evident.

Why don't you share some personal experience instead of spreading false rumors you "read on a forum."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Avoid PSA.

Lol. Are their 7075-T6 mil spec lowers less mil spec than other 7075-T6 mil spec lowers?

Quoted:

All of those known companies that make parts for PSA make those parts for PSA to PSA's specifications. As proven by a constant stream of problem threads here on the forums, PSA's specifications and standards aren't very high.

I know that this is a thread about stripped lowers but I'm talking about everything that PSA sells, not just stripped lowers. Of coarse stripped lowers aren't assembled at the factory but they do require good QC which PSA lacks... That's one of the reasons they are so cheap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have never seen anything to indicate that Aero does any forging. So I sent them an e-mail asking about it.

A. We use several different sources but our forgings are primarily from Anchor Harvey and Cerro. We have found both of them to offer the highest quality forgings.
View Quote

I was mistaken there. But Aero does manufacture PSA lowers
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All of those known companies that make parts for PSA make those parts for PSA to PSA's specifications. As proven by a constant stream of problem threads here on the forums, PSA's specifications and standards aren't very high.

I know that this is a thread about stripped lowers but I'm talking about everything that PSA sells, not just stripped lowers. Of coarse stripped lowers aren't assembled at the factory but they do require good QC which PSA lacks... That's one of the reasons they are so cheap.
View Quote

Show me an issue with PSA (not PTAC) branded premium parts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#15]

This. Mega's parts are consistently as close to perfect as you will find, and the finish is superb. You can look further and spend way more, but I do not believe you will find a better-made receiver.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Aero makes Spike's lowers too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/688249_First_bad_PSA_experience___.html
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I've built with:

Spikes
PSA (x6)
Anderson (x3)

All were very nice with zero issues.  I buy mostly from PSA (two more lowers ordered this morning).  I've had great luck with the lowers, complete uppers, LPK's, etc.  The best lower-upper fit I've seen is a PSA blem lower and a PSA premium dissy upper.  The best milspec trigger I've seen was also from a PSA LPK.  

The bottom line: If you don't want fancy upgrades like ambi controls and such, buy an inexpensive forged lower.  If you care about roll marks....let that drive you.  I don't, so I buy pretty much on price and availability. The other thing for me is that I hate the pictogram safety selector markings, so I'll only buy lowers with Fire/Safe markings (which rules out Aero as far as I've seen).

It's not rocket science and there's a ton of great stuff at fantastic prices.  Some people assume if a forged lower is $150 it's better than one that's $60-90.  Shrug...that money is better spent on aspects of the gun that affect performance, reliability and accuracy.  

Good luck.

p.s. there are a handful of folks around here that like to bash PSA, but I can say from extensive personal experience, along with that of my brother in law (who is even more active building AR's than I am) that PSA stuff (other than the ptac) are absolutely good to go.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#19]
What about Del Ton?  I have a local shop that sells these.  Only thing I can find in stock actually around here.  I don't want to transfer right now.

And when you buy and register the lower, do you have the option of rifle or pistol then?  I want to build a pistol lower.  Not sure how this works.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see anywhere mentioning it's a premium upper in the OP. What's negative about their stripped lowers?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What about Del Ton?  I have a local shop that sells these.  Only thing I can find in stock actually around here.  I don't want to transfer right now.

And when you buy and register the lower, do you have the option of rifle or pistol then?  I want to build a pistol lower.  Not sure how this works.
View Quote

If the lower has a stock attached then it will be sold as a rifle. When you purchase a stripped lower, it will be sold and listed as "other" on the 4473.
I feel it is important to note that there is no registration in Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If the lower has a stock attached then it will be sold as a rifle. When you purchase a stripped lower, it will be sold and listed as "other" on the 4473.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe register is the wrong word. When I fill the paperwork out.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't see anywhere mentioning it's a premium upper in the OP. What's negative about their stripped lowers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quote from the OP on page 3:

"It was the "premium" CHF FN barreled upper. I've only ever bought two complete uppers from PSA, and both were the CHF FN offerings. This happened to be one of them though..."

I'm searching for something on the lowers but I have not found anything other than a couple of posts about "mags not dropping free" so far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I figured as much, just feel that the nomenclature is important in this matter. There is already plenty of misinformation out there in regards to buying firearms and I like to be clear. Where in Ohio are you?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect. Any receiver regardless of whether it has a buffer tube or stock attached should be an "other" on the 4473 and described as "receiver". It is not a rifle unless it has a barrel and is functional as a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I figured as much, just feel that the nomenclature is important in this matter. There is already plenty of misinformation out there in regards to buying firearms and I like to be clear. Where in Ohio are you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cleveland. Del ton is the only one I can find so far. Everything is sold out or stores just don't carry them.

How is del ton?  If it's not considered a good name I won't consider it and keep looking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

A stripped lower is transferred as a receiver. You can build it as a pistol or a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Cleveland. Del ton is the only one I can find so far. Everything is sold out or stores just don't carry them.

How is del ton?  If it's not considered a good name I won't consider it and keep looking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know anything about their lowers, but I ordered a HBAR mid length kit from them a couple years ago that's worked great for me.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"It was the "premium" CHF FN barreled upper. I've only ever bought two complete uppers from PSA, and both were the CHF FN offerings. This happened to be one of them though..."

I'm searching for something on the lowers but I have not found anything other than a couple of posts about "mags not dropping free" so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok cool. So we are getting somewhere. Not that PSA is near the same league, but how many examples of shoddy QC do you think I can find with Colt, BCM, FN, LMT, etc. I bet I can find at least one with each and multiple with Colt. I digress though, perhaps since this thread is regarding stripped lowers we should focus on those. A company, Aero, who you admit to having good lowers manufactures the lowers for PSA at mil spec. Where is the issue with using their lowers?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Avoid PSA.

Quoted:

There aren't different levels of "mil-spec" when it comes to lowers. It either is or it isn't. I purchased a sub compact xd40 from PSA years ago, does your logic mean I got an inferior one than had I purchased it from someplace else?

As for Del Ton, I have shot one of their older 14.5" uppers and it shot just as well as my Daniel defense barreled upper did. Their lowers are probably machined by someone else so I'd say as long as it's not over 60-75 bucks then go for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Incorrect. Any receiver regardless of whether it has a buffer tube or stock attached should be an "other" on the 4473 and described as "receiver". It is not a rifle unless it has a barrel and is functional as a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected. Will be listed as "other" unless barreled with a stock, thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ok cool. So we are getting somewhere. Not that PSA is near the same league, but how many examples of shoddy QC do you think I can find with Colt, BCM, FN, LMT, etc. I bet I can find at least one with each and multiple with Colt. I digress though, perhaps since this thread is regarding stripped lowers we should focus on those. A company, Aero, who you admit to having good lowers manufactures the lowers for PSA at mil spec. Where is the issue with using their lowers?
View Quote

I have seen problems with all of those brands excluding FN. There are not many FN ARs out there yet though.

I have just seen so many problems with PSA that it leads me to recommend against them every chance I get.

As far as stripped lowers go I will have to give PSA a pass at this point.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There aren't different levels of "mil-spec" when it comes to lowers. It either is or it isn't. I purchased a sub compact xd40 from PSA years ago, does your logic mean I got an inferior one than had I purchased it from someplace else?

As for Del Ton, I have shot one of their older 14.5" uppers and it shot just as well as my Daniel defense barreled upper did. Their lowers are probably machined by someone else so I'd say as long as it's not over 60-75 bucks then go for it.
View Quote

The XD40 is likely fine, I'm talking only about PSA AR15 related items.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right But PSA doesn't sell items to a different version of mil-spec is the point I was trying to make.  They don't spec out their own lower quality lowers to worse specs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Right But PSA doesn't sell items to a different version of mil-spec is the point I was trying to make.  They don't spec out their own lower quality lowers to worse specs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no way to know that and we certainly can't just trust PSA advertising that their parts are made to mil-spec.

All you can really do is look for reports of problems and their stripped lowers are getting a pass from me at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

<snip>

View Quote

Technically, no civilian AR lower is "mil-spec." The only AR lower that is truly "mil-spec" is the military M16/M4 lower, with the third hole for the auto-sear and the FCG pocket cut for the FA/burst parts. This is because the "mil-spec" requirements cover more than dimensional tollerances and finish, and once you change one feature from those specifications, it cannot be truly "mil-spec." This is why you see disclaimers and weasel words like "made to mil-spec standards" when deacribing civilian AR lowers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, no...they tell the manufacturer to retool to make one to looser tolerances so they can get it cheaper and charge less for it.

It sucks that my Sig p238 from PSA is lower quality than the ones you get elsewhere.

/sarcasm
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm the OP...  Anyways, I picked up a DPMS locally.  I overpaid at $150 but no real other options and I don't think it was that much especially for being in stock and not shipping or FFL.  They said sometimes they get Noveske in for $200 and Andersons for $60.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Avoid PSA.

This is a tech forum, while your opinion is valued I'd suggest taking the unfounded GD style bashing into GD.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There is no way to know that and we certainly can't just trust PSA advertising that their parts are made to mil-spec.

All you can really do is look for reports of problems and their stripped lowers are getting a pass from me at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes you believe PSA would lie or otherwise deceptively market products?

That's a pretty bold accusation against a site sponsor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would I believe that PSA would deceptively market products... Quite simply because they have before. > Link.

The deceptive marketing of products has happened before with many different manufactures.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why would I believe that PSA would deceptively market products... Quite simply because they have before. > Link.

The deceptive marketing of products has happened before with many different manufactures.
View Quote

I find it interesting that PSA touts the FN made barrels while completely ducking the questions about their non-FN barrels...if they won't be up front about it then they deserve the flack.

AND they suck at building uppers, their QC is garbage.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why would I believe that PSA would deceptively market products... Quite simply because they blah blah blah.
View Quote

Just stop. No one cares.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I find it interesting that PSA touts the FN made barrels while completely ducking the questions about their non-FN barrels...if they won't be up front about it then they deserve the flack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FN doesn't care if PSA discloses that they make barrels for them. Other companies are not always that open. Most in fact are not. When your supplier tells you not to disclose you either don't disclose or you find a new supplier.

What's that old saying? Rather remain silent and be thought a.... oh I forget how it goes...

You did however remove all doubt.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Thread de-rail successful
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top