Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 6:21:21 PM EDT
Hello, been looking EVERYWHERE for a pencil profiled 14.5" 5.56 upper for a lightweight AR. Just can't seem to find it anywhere! Anyone know where i can get one? Would it need to be custom?

If so, anyone have a suggestion on what custom place to get it at? Was trying to buy from someone local, but they ended up being a scammer. Want reliable, light, inexpensive. Trying to keep the upper under 700$ if possible, less would be better!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That page says it's government profile?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you asking for a thinner diameter barrel than the M4 govt profile one? Why? If its all about weight...err, lightweight, then I might understand.

But if you plan to take this thing and unload 30 rds from a mag in less than one minute...whoa...hope the barrel doesn't go bonkers on you.

Also, the thinnest govt profile barrel was the "pencil" A1 type used in Vietnam (others please chime in here as I don't have all the details).  Soldiers found out that the barrels bent out of shape if they used it to pry anything open...so the practice was stopped.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you asking for a thinner diameter barrel than the M4 govt profile one?  Why?  If its all about weight...err, lightweight, then I might understand.

But if you plan to take this thing and unload 30 rds from a mag in less than one minute...whoa...hope the barrel doesn't go bonkers on you.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

That goes over some different barrel profiles.

Lightweight and featherweight are different than government. Lightweight is also commonly refered to as "pencil."
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you asking for a thinner diameter barrel than the M4 govt profile one? Why? If its all about weight...err, lightweight, then I might understand.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

That goes over some different barrel profiles.

Lightweight and featherweight are different than government. Lightweight is also commonly refered to as "pencil."

OK, I see, but it doesn't show all the govt profiles, not some of the early ones.

The Bushy below is the only commercial superlightweight I know.  I realize you're looking for a 14.5": http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=7

16" Bushmaster SuperLight Barrel Assembly
The lightest 16" barrel we've ever offered - tapers from .670" to .565" under handguards, .625" under sightbase, and to .570" at the muzzle - similar to the original Vietnam era A1 barrel profile. Assembly includes Bayonet Lug, Threaded Muzzle, A2 Birdcage Flash Suppressor, Handguards, Gas Tube, and Delta Ring Kit.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
There are a few different barrel makers that do lightweights if you look around, but i don't see any with full uppers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The BCM upper linked to is a lightweight, hence the highlighted portion of the item name :

BCM Standard 14.5" Carbine (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group

Also note the part of the description that says it's 0.625" at the gas block, this is usually the key indicator for a lightweight barrel.  The part that says govt profile is just generic info on the BCM line of products.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BCM upper linked to is a lightweight, hence the highlighted portion of the item name :

BCM Standard 14.5" Carbine (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group

Also note the part of the description that says it's 0.625" at the gas block, this is usually the key indicator for a lightweight barrel.  The part that says govt profile is just generic info on the BCM line of products.

Awesome, thank you very much for that!

The carbine length is out of stock, the middy is in, which should be even better! All i'll need to do is source some handguards and a rear sight and i'm set for an upper with that, right? There's no picture, so it's hard to tell. (will be checking the BCG option)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Just out of curiosity, what's the need for a lightweight 14.5"?  I have a 14.5" Bushmaster HBAR carbine that weighs in at just under 6.8lbs unloaded and its plenty light yet heavy-duty to handle rapid mass firing.  The barrel, FSB do start smoking and the handguards also get hot to the touch, but I know the thing won't warp with the heat.

I'm just trying to see if I am missing something.  I can see why LEO's would want a really lightweight carbine.  But when I go thru 100-200 rds at the range in one sitting, soemtimes I just want to belt a whole or half a mag out at the end for the thrill of it, as fast as my finger can pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, what's the need for a lightweight 14.5"?  I have a 14.5" Bushmaster HBAR carbine that weighs in at just under 6.8lbs unloaded and its plenty light yet heavy-duty to handle rapid mass firing.  The barrel, FSB do start smoking and the handguards also get hot to the touch, but I know the thing won't warp with the heat.

I'm just trying to see if I am missing something.  I can see why LEO's would want a really lightweight carbine.  But when I go thru 100-200 rds at the range in one sitting, soemtimes I just want to belt a whole or half a mag out at the end for the thrill of it, as fast as my finger can pull the trigger.

The need is because i don't have a lot of upper body strength, and heavy weapons aren't any fun for me, or nearly as useful. Arms get tired quickly holding up a gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is the barrel only. I am sure they could do the whole upper. HERE
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the need for a lightweight 14.5"? I have a 14.5" Bushmaster HBAR carbine that weighs in at just under 6.8lbs unloaded and its plenty light yet heavy-duty to handle rapid mass firing. The barrel, FSB do start smoking and the handguards also get hot to the touch, but I know the thing won't warp with the heat.

I'm just trying to see if I am missing something. I can see why LEO's would want a really lightweight carbine. But when I go thru 100-200 rds at the range in one sitting, soemtimes I just want to belt a whole or half a mag out at the end for the thrill of it, as fast as my finger can pull the trigger.

The need is because i don't have a lot of upper body strength, and heavy weapons aren't any fun for me, or nearly as useful. Arms get tired quickly holding up a gun.

OK.  Understood.  FWIW, I'm middle-aged and don't have that upper body strength I once had in my 20's, not when I was trained on the M-16 in the Seabees.  Having kids saw to that.  So I do understand to some degree.

So today, I use a mocked-up benchrest, a sandbag on a portable table I bring to the range with me.  Or I sit in a folding chair with a stick under my hand to support the rifle's foreend.  Its hard enough holding anything perfectly still enough to shoot it on target, let alone trying to group within 2 MOA at 100yds if I'm standing with the thing unsupported nowadays.  I just can't do 2 MOA, or even 4 MOA without some support anyway.  

I agree its probably much easier to hold it dead on target with a much lighter rifle, but even aiming a 2lb handgun with both arms, I still have issues at times (like mosquitoes).  I understand, but keep in mind that if you decide to later sell the upper, it might be tough to find a buyer.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, what's the need for a lightweight 14.5"? I have a 14.5" Bushmaster HBAR carbine that weighs in at just under 6.8lbs unloaded and its plenty light yet heavy-duty to handle rapid mass firing. The barrel, FSB do start smoking and the handguards also get hot to the touch, but I know the thing won't warp with the heat.

I'm just trying to see if I am missing something. I can see why LEO's would want a really lightweight carbine. But when I go thru 100-200 rds at the range in one sitting, soemtimes I just want to belt a whole or half a mag out at the end for the thrill of it, as fast as my finger can pull the trigger.

OK.  Understood.  FWIW, I'm middle-aged and don't have that upper body strength I once had in my 20's, not when I was trained on the M-16 in the Seabees.  Having kids saw to that.  So I do understand to some degree.

So today, I use a mocked-up benchrest, a sandbag on a portable table I bring to the range with me.  Or I sit in a folding chair with a stick under my hand to support the rifle's foreend.  Its hard enough holding anything perfectly still enough to shoot it on target, let alone trying to group within 2 MOA at 100yds if I'm standing with the thing unsupported nowadays.  I just can't do 2 MOA, or even 4 MOA without some support anyway.  

I agree its probably much easier to hold it dead on target with a much lighter rifle, but even aiming a 2lb handgun with both arms, I still have issues at times (like mosquitoes).  I understand, but keep in mind that if you decide to later sell the upper, it might be tough to find a buyer.  

Trust me, i understand about selling firearms. Have two hanguns with very limited market because i have small hands. Guess i'll just need to keep the guns. Darn. :P
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#14]
DD has the lightweights as well in 16 and 14.5 (link).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK. Understood. FWIW, I'm middle-aged and don't have that upper body strength I once had in my 20's, not when I was trained on the M-16 in the Seabees. Having kids saw to that. So I do understand to some degree.

So today, I use a mocked-up benchrest, a sandbag on a portable table I bring to the range with me. Or I sit in a folding chair with a stick under my hand to support the rifle's foreend. Its hard enough holding anything perfectly still enough to shoot it on target, let alone trying to group within 2 MOA at 100yds if I'm standing with the thing unsupported nowadays. I just can't do 2 MOA, or even 4 MOA without some support anyway.

I agree its probably much easier to hold it dead on target with a much lighter rifle, but even aiming a 2lb handgun with both arms, I still have issues at times (like mosquitoes). I understand, but keep in mind that if you decide to later sell the upper, it might be tough to find a buyer.

Trust me, i understand about selling firearms. Have two hanguns with very limited market because i have small hands. Guess i'll just need to keep the guns. Darn. :P

Sounds like ur well informed then.  That's good.  I owned six (6) Bushmaster A2 rifles, from 14.5" to 20", all HBAR's and various muzzle options.  Hard as hell to sell them today.  I just sold my 3rd one, after putting all six on the market since Jan2010.  I'm keeping the remaining 2 or 3 at this point, and just having fun with them.

But, you never know.  There's always someone out there who might be interested.  BTW, I don't mean to pry, but are you a woman or just someon with those physical characteristics?  I understand that some, or most, women woudl certainly want a lightweight/featherweight.  And for me, that's something I'd buy for my pre-teen son or daughter.  So you never know - there's always a buyer.  

Glad that you did find a barrel.  I'm taking notes too because I might need it too one of these days!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like ur well informed then.  That's good.  I owned six (6) Bushmaster A2 rifles, from 14.5" to 20", all HBAR's and various muzzle options.  Hard as hell to sell them today.  I just sold my 3rd one, after putting all six on the market since Jan2010.  I'm keeping the remaining 2 or 3 at this point, and just having fun with them.

But, you never know.  There's always someone out there who might be interested.  BTW, I don't mean to pry, but are you a woman or just someon with those physical characteristics?  I understand that some, or most, women woudl certainly want a lightweight/featherweight.  And for me, that's something I'd buy for my pre-teen son or daughter.  So you never know - there's always a buyer.  

Glad that you did find a barrel.  I'm taking notes too because I might need it too one of these days!

Yes, female. If a bigger gun was feasible for me, i'd probably go with an M1A SOCOM, honestly... but ARs fit me better. Not to mention, if you read the threads about lightweight ARs, just about everyone says they're much more fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
BCM 14.5" LW upper on Mega billet lower...

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/868W9705-1024-Stick.jpg

Looked through your site, you don't seem to sell them?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#19]
BCM @ $385 is a great deal in a light wt middie

Go get some Cav Arms C8  Mid-length Handguards from Brownells to tide you over till the Magpul middies get out...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
BCM @ $385 is a great deal in a light wt middie

Go get some Cav Arms C8  Mid-length Handguards from Brownells to tide you over till the Magpul middies get out...

Yep, some OD Green C8's should go well with my Cav Arms lower. :)
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM 14.5" LW upper on Mega billet lower...

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/868W9705-1024-Stick.jpg

Looked through your site, you don't seem to sell them?

Sticman only "sells" the products by posting pictures of them and info about them. Look here and here for 14.5" lightweight barrels.
Dustin
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Haraise - when you get to building your lightweight/featherweight setup, if you don't mind, I'd like to know how it looks and how much its ends up weighing (everything including BUIS or FSB/rear sights, but weight without any optics).  Plus, since you probably are hunting for the lightest furniture and other accessories to put into this build, I'd like to know what brands/make/model of accessories you used - again if you don't mind.

I'm thinking of a lightweight/featherweight now for my wife, and anything near the 6.8lbs on my 14.5" Bushmaster HBAR Carbine (which is light enough for me) will probably make her balk.  

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Haraise - when you get to building your lightweight/featherweight setup, if you don't mind, I'd like to know how it looks and how much its ends up weighing (everything including BUIS or FSB/rear sights, but weight without any optics).  Plus, since you probably are hunting for the lightest furniture and other accessories to put into this build, I'd like to know what brands/make/model of accessories you used - again if you don't mind.

I'm thinking of a lightweight/featherweight now for my wife, and anything near the 6.8lbs on my 14.5" Bushmaster HBAR Carbine (which is light enough for me) will probably make her balk.  

Thanks in advance!

Not planning on going exclusively lightweight, as i'm going Troy rear BUIS and a Cav Arms C8 handguard rather than Magpul BUIS and CF hand guard.

My lower is a Cav Arms piece, all plastic. Will weigh it out for you when done, on my bathroom scale. :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the BCM or DD offering.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sorry, what does DD mean?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daniel Defense
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daniel Defense

Why would you suggest them? Not only do they cost like twice as much, it looks like they have three pounds of metal rails on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Daniel Defense

Why would you suggest them? Not only do they cost like twice as much, it looks like they have three pounds of metal rails on it.

DD just happens to be the "Killer Technology" of today.  Like MagPul, almost everything they've made stands for quality, reliability, durability...all with real world proof and testing.   But like MagPul, they're not cheap.  Many on this board like to push DD, MagPul, LMT, LaRue - that's fine, but it'll cost ya.  Sometimes we - including me - forget that "Cadillacs" are nice & dandy but most are content with a Chevy.  

BTW, DD - for now - has a hot resale value.  Used DD rails get snatched up quick if priced right.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#29]
My new stick is being built around a 14.5 pencil DD barrel.  dont let all the metal around their barrels fool you, they build some fairly light weight quad rail systems.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daniel Defense

DD rails are some of the lightest in the industry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#31]
What's the point of so much rail space? I have no need to be all tacticool.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:14:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Try to contact BCM or ADCO see if they will build one for you if you don want to deal with putting it together.

Both are great companies.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:45:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Already linked to the prebuilt one i'm probably going to buy... o.O
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top