Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 11:53:28 AM EDT
This isn't so much a which rail to pick thread as much as it is which options are available to me.  I have a plain jane BCM 14.5" middy upper w/ a perm attached FSC556 that I want to finish up.  At this point I've decided I want to run a Larue 9.0 or DD Omega 9.0.  I prefer the look and feel of the Larue but alas I don't know that much about taking a barrel off the reciever.

Question 1:  Can I install or have somebody like ADCO install a Larue rail without removing the pinned FSC556?

Question 2:  How is maintenence and cleaning handled with a railed handguard that can't be removed without removing the FSB.  Surely its got to be neccessary at some point.  What do soldiers over in IRAQ and Afghanistan do?  Is there a trick to this or is it something I'm a little too overly concernced about?

Question 3:  Is it possible to chop/mill down a DD RIS II rail to a 9.0 Length.  I noticed that theres 3 sets of screws on the side of it and I know the set furthest away from the reciever by the FSB serves a purpose to mount some sort of a bracket inside the rail.  Again I don't know too much about them, but I have access to machine tools so if all else failed I was considering this option.  Whether it is possible or not I am unsure and Im sure that some of you guys can/will tell me one way or the other.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
1) No .. because the FSB has to come off.

2) It's not necessary to clean under HG.

3) Same problem as with question one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You will have to remove the pinned flash hider to install any of the more popular free float rail systems.  
The rail system will come with a new barrel nut.  You will need to be able to slide it on, and even if it fits
over the flash hider, it won't fit over the gas block.  So you will need to pull the flash hider, pull the gas block
and then install the rail system.  

There may be ONE option that you MAY have if you are willing to CUT OFF the gas block and reinstall a clamp
on block......this would only be an option if your barrel nut fits OVER your flash hider.  Sounds complicated, but
its really not.  Good luck.....here is a picture of what you are looking for.......

14.5" Middy with Larue rail.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The DD omega required no modification to the firearm.  I have one and its rock solid and was easy to install.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You will have to remove the pinned flash hider to install any of the more popular free float rail systems.  
The rail system will come with a new barrel nut.  You will need to be able to slide it on, and even if it fits
over the flash hider, it won't fit over the gas block.  So you will need to pull the flash hider, pull the gas block
and then install the rail system.  

There may be ONE option that you MAY have if you are willing to CUT OFF the gas block and reinstall a clamp
on block......this would only be an option if your barrel nut fits OVER your flash hider.  Sounds complicated, but
its really not.  Good luck.....here is a picture of what you are looking for.......

14.5" Middy with Larue rail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/yfz450air/IMG_1787.jpg

What are you initial thoughts on this setup?  I was aiming for somewhat of a SHTF mid-length and less of something of a range toy.  Lighter and reliable being the most important.  My biggest gripe with most Recce type uppers was that they felt heav(ier) in the front.  While not a deal breaker, id be very interested in hearing your opinion on the matter, and anybody else who would happen to have a setup similar to yours.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with a rifle length free float tube on my 14.5".  I didn't decide to go that route until after I pinned and welded my Levang to the end of the barrel.  I wound up cutting the FSB off with a cutting wheel, using the M4 cut out area to give me some room to work.  All of the barrel nuts that I tried easily fit over the Levang.  I used a Yankee Hill two piece clamp on type of gas block.  They are ugly, but you won't see it anyway.  The clamp on is super easy to line up too.  If you're interested, check out Yankee Hill, but do it quick.  I think they discontinued this line of gas blocks.  I got my last one on clearance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top