Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2010 2:29:51 PM EDT
I am switching to left handed shooting for NRA High Power competition.  I want to replace my upper receiver for a left hand upper receiver so that I can load individual rounds in the chamber with my trigger hand while remaining in position with the sling on my right arm and right hand on the forestock.

Assuming I buy  a left-hand upper receiver with only the sight installed, how much should I pay a gunsmith to swap this out with my receiver and to transfer the forward assist and dust flap??

Coop
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You can do it yourself for free...
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You can do it yourself for free...

...and easily, too.
There are a few tools you'll want, or possibly borrow.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have watched videos on how to change an AR-15 barrel and it does not look difficult if you have all the right tools.  I have none.  You need at least an armorer's wrench ($20-$30) and a level.  I don't want to screw up the front sight asembly on my match rifle.  Sooooo,,,,, I don't want to do the job myself.  That's why I asked how much it would cost to have a gunsmith do it.  It looks like way less than 1 hour's work for an experienced gunsmith, so I would guess $100 or less.

Coop
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I can easily change one in 1/2 hour. I see you are changing the dust cover and forward assist. That will take longer. A gun smith probably will charge you an hour.
Never used a level
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Between $35 to $55 dollars.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am switching to left handed shooting for NRA High Power competition.  I want to replace my upper receiver for a left hand upper receiver so that I can load individual rounds in the chamber with my trigger hand while remaining in position with the sling on my right arm and right hand on the forestock.

Assuming I buy  a left-hand upper receiver with only the sight installed, how much should I pay a gunsmith to swap this out with my receiver and to transfer the forward assist and dust flap??

Coop

The logical thing to do is find local smiths in your area & ask them directly what they would charge to do this work. We don't know what your local smith charges. Or you can post in your home town forum & ask for someone close to you that has the tools that would be willing to make the swap. Usually the latter works out for folks in need for free or case of beer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a gunsmith but have a valid armorer's cert.  I'd do it for $50 or so..
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
You may already be aware of this, but just in case you aren't, I believe that you'll also need a left-handed bolt carrier assembly/group. I don't intend to sound condescending, just trying to help.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You may already be aware of this, but just in case you aren't, I believe that you'll also need a left-handed bolt carrier assembly/group. I don't intend to sound condescending, just trying to help.

And a barrel with an ambidextrous barrel extension, so worrying about your gas block is moot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#10]
My gunsmith charges around 25 when I have had him do it (didn't have a bench or vice set up to do it myself)

ETA this is just swapping from one upper to another on rifles that utilize a delta ring.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Since you're in Fl., contact Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering
1- 850-579-1208
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#12]
go to brownells.com and watch the ar-15 build vid.  I decided to build my first ar all by myself and had great success with it, just need some brass punches, a brass/ non-marring hammer, a vice and some welding gloves to protect the upper.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're only going to be doing this one time, find an armorer/gunsmith/somebody who's done it before and have him do it.  Not that you couldn't do it yourself, but you can't do it right with a hammer and pliers.  To do it RIGHT, you're gonna need a bench vice, an armorer's wrench, torque wrench, an upper receiver action block, drift punch, grease and a few small tools.  The first one I did was a real PITA because I didn't have the right tools.  As in anything mechanical, the right tools make all the difference.

If you're gonna do more than one, or want to become your friend's "armorer", you can buy everything you'll need for under $200.00.  I've never regretted buying tools.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To do it RIGHT, you're gonna need a bench vice,

Yep, this is what happens when you red neck it:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Coop

Is modding your rifle to left hand even allowed in a sanctioned match?  Just saying, you might want to be sure before you make the change.

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#16]
ouch
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#17]
i will help if you are local to me. pinellas county, pasco county.
727-642-9807  i have the tools and a couple of locations to work out of.
bill

no charge
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i will help if you are local to me. pinellas county, pasco county.
727-642-9807  i have the tools and a couple of locations to work out of.
bill

no charge

Bill, thank you so much for the offer, thats what makes AR15.com and its members so great.  
I have a action block and new upper inbound.  I have the old upper/barrel in the freezer and I'm going to give it one last try (I'm stubborn like that).  If I cant get it I'll give you a holler, I'm in St Petersburg.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Coop

Where in Fl are you located?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coop

Is modding your rifle to left hand even allowed in a sanctioned match?  Just saying, you might want to be sure before you make the change.

Paladin

This is what I was thinking.  You may be outside of the rules if someone challenges you.  Also, the guy to your left if he's a rightie may not like your brass flying in his face, since in prone, he'll be turned slightly toward you and you to him.  With right-hand eject, this is not an issue.

If you are a serious shooter, realize that the A2 sight included with those left-hand uppers are probably only 1/2 MOA adjustment.  An NM sight is 1/4.

Also, if you have a FF tube on it right now that hides under the A2 handguards, special tools or knowledge may be required to remove/install it successfully.  My RRA upper has one of these.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I have never seen a left-handed A2 upper receiver.  

You cannot use your bolt and carrier.

You can buy a complete left handed upper MINUS the barrel from Rainier Arms.  

You don't need an ambi extension for your barrel.  Stag will tell you otherwise, but BadAzzAR15 from Spike's Tactical says he uses standard barrels on his personal left-handed ARs.

Check on the EE for anyone wanting to trade a lefty upper for a standard upper.  I've seen a few, and have always tried to get in on it but they're always gone when I IM.  

I love all my lefty uppers, and am very glad I finally switched after 12+ years of talking trash about them without ever owning one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:11:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have never seen a left-handed A2 upper receiver.  

IIRC the A4 uppers are legal as long as you're using a carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Clamshell receiver block won't help you with a left handed upper.

Hope you read my previous post which mentioned that you cannot use a standard barrel with a left handed bolt, you have to have a barrel with the Stag ambidextrous barrel extension.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#24]
The freezer did the trick!!  I used the panther claw, freezer, wrench, and breaker pipe and it finally gave.  The panther claw and freezer is what I was missing the first time.  

Thanks for everyones help!  Also, much thanks to Bill for offering to help for free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top