Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/5/2006 8:52:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 12:25:31 PM EDT by JimTh]
I've been thinking of building a super light upper for coyote calling and wanted some input on how accurate it might be and what to put into it.
AR15barrels.com has a featherweight profile that looks to be about as light as you can get. I've been reading about lightweight builds and it sounds like I could get reasonable accuracy out of one. 1" at 100 yds (slow fire) would be acceptable to me. Think this is doable? Better maybe?
Midway and Brownells both sell a carbon fiber handguard that is listed as 6.2 oz. I don't think there is a lighter choice out there, is there?
Bushmaster sells a carbon upper receiver. Would it be a good option, or is that a step too far, should I stick with an aluminum upper? I do like having a FA.
What do I do for a gas block? Chop off a FSB? The featherweight shows .625 under the FSB, does anyone sell low profile gas blocks to fit that diameter? Aren't most .750?
Any suggestions on building a superlight, accurate, flattop or EOP would be appreciated.

ETA: The other question: too flash suppress or not???
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:35:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 10:35:59 AM EDT by scoop]
I built one on a standard CMT flattop upper using one of Denny's SS recon barrels(7 twist). Not as light as the ulta/superlight barrels, but very accurate and light enough. I used a Hiperform carbon fiber freefloat tube cut to middy length, a PRI low-profile gas block. Put it all together on a CAV Arms lower. The thing weighed less than 8 pounds ready to hunt (including mag, 8 rounds of ammo, sling, optics and an SWR Wolverine suppressor). If you subtract the weight of the can, you're less than 7 pounds. Also, if you're planning on hunting deer with this setup, make sure you get a 7 or 8 twist barrel so you can use Barnes 70 gr TSX bullet. I loaded them on top of 25 grains of Varget and had really good luck with them this season.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:48:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 10:58:00 AM EDT by JimTh]
Where can I learn more about the Hiperform cf ff? ETA: Nevermind, found it.
Is your barrel a .750 then? I did find that YHM has a Spectre gas block for .625 but it's fat and fugly.
Just a predator rifle, I have to use a slug gun for deer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:07:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 11:12:19 AM EDT by scoop]
My barrel is .750 from the gas block forward. Thinner under the handguard. You can check out the barrel specs on Denny's site here.

I used the Hiperform because a buddy sold me his cheap. DPMS and others also do the carbon fiber HG's. Don't know if one is any better than the others.

BTW, accuracy is ~1moa with the 70 grain TSX load mentioned in my earlier post and with Rem UMC 55 gr FMJ.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:25:09 PM EDT
I had a Bushmaster superlight that would do 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards, it has a 1/9 twist. For me I'd stay with a regular flat top and mill the front sight base, then re-park it. It weighed about 7.5# with an Armalite mount and a Leupold 2.5-8 scope ready to hunt. My Colt 16" HBAR weighs 8.3# IIRC, rigged the same.

Funny thing about accuracy, I killed quite a few coyotes with a Mini 14 that would shoot 3" groups on a good day, now if my AR's won't do under an inch I'm disappointed. I just bought a Colt lightweight upper with a 1/7 twist to try but haven't shot it yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:43:40 PM EDT
Go with the ulw barrel, and cut the front site post off and then grind it down. Paint it black with some krylon and you are done.

Pretty sure falarak has a post on how to do this in the build it yourself part.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:08:12 PM EDT
Yup, I read it some time ago, pretty straight forward and it would probably result in the lightest gas block available.

Originally Posted By TxLewis:
Go with the ulw barrel, and cut the front site post off and then grind it down. Paint it black with some krylon and you are done.

Pretty sure falarak has a post on how to do this in the build it yourself part.

TXL

Top Top