Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:03:53 PM EDT
Why use a muzzle brake on an SPR when it's a .223 chambering and weighs in the neighborhood of 12 pounds?

I'm building a psuedo-SPR, that's why I'm wondering. Unless someone can give me a good reason to go with an OPS, inc muzzle brake I'm going to install a Vortex.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:17:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paradude54:
Why use a muzzle brake on an SPR when it's a .223 chambering and weighs in the neighborhood of 12 pounds?

I'm building a psuedo-SPR, that's why I'm wondering. Unless someone can give me a good reason to go with an OPS, inc muzzle brake I'm going to install a Vortex.

shameless plug, I have the MSTN QC Brake on my SPR, and when im up in the 10x range, and shoot, i can really keep the cross hairs where they need to be with little effort. The gun barely moves..

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:36:37 PM EDT
I use a break because I feel its easier to get back and stay on target, i had the vortex on my ar10 it caused A little more movement than the original armalite break and its current two port ops inc break

durring the ban I wanted a vortex, got it when it sunseted, and then decided that it wasnt anything great and went back to a break

it really depends on what your looking for, with a 12 pound SPR, the diffrence is going to be small, you should just go by what looks the best and fits your budget

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:14:26 AM EDT

Why use a muzzle brake on an SPR when it's a .223 chambering and weighs in the neighborhood of 12 lb

With the MSTN QC brake on my heavy 18" SS MRP barrel the recoil is reduced so much your second, third, & fourth shots are very quick as the sight picture at even 15X with the NSX scope is barely disturbed.

But if any use with NV equipment is planned, the Vortex is the only way to go.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:15:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 10:27:38 PM EDT by Homeinvader]
The OPS inc brake is really designed to interface the host rifle with a suppressor and to enhance sound suppression qualities when the suppressor is installed. Its recoil/muzzle flip reduction qualities take a back seat to that design parameter. There are way better brakes out there for recoil reduction, but not if you want to use a suppressor.

If you look closely at the OPS inc design, you'll notice it looks like a suppressor baffle and that's the whole idea. Most flash hiders that can interface with a suppressor are designed mainly for use without the suppressor, and that's fine: KAC, vortex, even the A2 flash hiders when mated with a Halo, but these flash hiders do nothing to aid report suppression with the suppressor installed. They reduce flash, but have little to no effect on sound, either alone or with a suppressor. This is where the OPS inc unit stands alone, the OPS inc brake is designed around sound redirection when used alone, with inherent recoil reduction qualities, but adds to the suppressor's suppression when used that way. It's a brake when used alone, but becomes the first baffle of the suppressor when it is installed.

Wholly depends on what you want out of your brake. If you want a true SPR, you cannot avoid using an OPS inc unit. They are scarce enough to add a lot of value to the gun they are installed on, especially if all other parts are actual SPR. But if you want max recoil reduction, then get a JP or MSTN or other brake that is designed primarily to do just that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:12:58 PM EDT
Excellent and informative post Homeinvader.

BK
AmericanSnipers.org
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:23:10 AM EDT
Thanks for all the info. I do plan on getting a sound suppressor to go with it, so maybe the ops, inc is the best choice for me. I didn't realize the interface between the suppressor and the brake until you pointed it out. I'm not neccesarily looking for an authentic SPR, I just want what works best for me. Funny thing is that except for the trigger that I'm using it's going to be pretty authentic!

One more question though, do I need a particular ops, inc brake or do their brakes all hook up to their suppressors?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:29:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 5:06:58 PM EDT by xenophobe]

Wholly depends on what you want out of your brake. If you want a true SPR, you cannot avoid using an OPS inc unit. They are scarce enough to add a lot of value to the gun they are installed on, especially if all other parts are actual SPR. But if you want max recoil reduction, then get a JP or MSTN or other brake that is designed primarily to do just that.

Scarce? You mean the first variant?

OpsInc is shipping units. My gunsmith just got a batch in, including the new SPR breaks, and I just bought some new variantl two-tone M4 birdcage with exterior threads and protector + their supressor alignment bushing from him.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:35:28 PM EDT
I can get the Ops, inc. muzzle brake from Brownell's at dealer's price and they're in stock, so that part isn't a problem.

One thing though, does Ops, inc. sell their suppressors to us lowly non-leo, retired military guys (also known as civilians)?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:16:36 PM EDT
yes ops now sells to civilians, i am waiting to take possesion of a 12th model 30 cal can for my ar10, only problem is that they are way behind their orders, i have waited about six months so far.

starting monday, i will begin to email and call them everydday untill they can deliver my can to my class 3
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:21:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By m4hk33:
yes ops now sells to civilians, i am waiting to take possesion of a 12th model 30 cal can for my ar10, only problem is that they are way behind their orders, i have waited about six months so far.

starting monday, i will begin to email and call them everydday untill they can deliver my can to my class 3

COOL! Did you order direct or did your dealer do the ordering?

I don't mind a little wait, but 6 months is a bit long. I might have to order several at the same time for different guns so that they'll be there by the time that I get the gun built!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:17:57 PM EDT
yes they do sell the suppressors to civilians... they are very hard to come by, because they are currently busy filling their military orders and have a very limited number of units to sell to civilians.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:46:22 PM EDT
My gunsmith said they are as flakey as he is, which is considerably...

I know they're busy filling military contracts, from what I understand my unit was part of the overrun for the current M4 retrofit, or some such BS that he told me. lol

I don't even have an upper to put it on at this point... Guess I'll have to build something new. heh
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:53:37 AM EDT

I can get the Ops, inc. muzzle brake from Brownell's at dealer's price and they're in stock, so that part isn't a problem.

One thing though, does Ops, inc. sell their suppressors to us lowly non-leo, retired military guys (also known as civilians)?

Are you talking about the OP Inc SPR suppressor Brake, in that case brownells doe not offer them they have the non-suppressor brake in the catolog.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:02:37 AM EDT
Brownells sells the 4 port brake, not the 2 port military brake with external threads and knurled thread protector.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:04:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xenophobe:
OpsInc is shipping units. My gunsmith just got a batch in, including the new SPR breaks, and I just bought some new variantl two-tone M4 birdcage with exterior threads and protector + their supressor alignment bushing from him.

What the... I wasn't aware that Opsinc now made flash supressors to go with their cans. Are you sure this isn't some sort of hackjob?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:10:14 AM EDT
A different spin...

I'd keep the Flash Suppression / Dust Signature a priority (ie. YHM Phantom 5C1/2) and switch to a MGI Rate Reducing Buffer.

That'd help your recoil and give the benefits of a closed bottom flash suppressor. My 2 cents anyway.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:13:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kemp:
What the... I wasn't aware that Opsinc now made flash supressors to go with their cans. Are you sure this isn't some sort of hackjob?

This was included with a batch of SPR breaks.... It is supposedly a new sample that was pulled before make it to the platers... they're supposedly going to be issue, and those are supposed to be black, from what my gunsmith told me. The only thing I am certain about is that the bag was marked "M4" and it came directly out of a little white box send directly from OpsInc.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:30:40 PM EDT
I heard back from Ops, inc and the word that I got is as follows.

The muzzle brake that is used with their can has external threads and is included with the can when you buy the can. I is available to civilians and is different than the one sold by Brownells or anyone else.

That's straight from the horses mouth. They didn't say what kind of wait they currently have, but I imagine that until all of the military orders are filled that it will remain substantial.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:40:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xenophobe:
This was included with a batch of SPR breaks.... It is supposedly a new sample that was pulled before make it to the platers... they're supposedly going to be issue, and those are supposed to be black, from what my gunsmith told me. The only thing I am certain about is that the bag was marked "M4" and it came directly out of a little white box send directly from OpsInc.

img321.imageshack.us/img321/7729/opsinc27yn.jpg
img321.imageshack.us/img321/6845/opsinc11sa.jpg

HO
LEE
SHIIIIIIIIIII­T

I've always thought the only downside (besides being made out of unobtanium) of opsinc cans appeared to be the fact that it mounts to a compensator rather than to a flash hider. Now that they've got that issue out of the way.. wow. I am very, very impresed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:21:12 AM EDT
Mongo has been making them on a limited basis for us for a while now

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:26:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Duffy:
Mongo has been making them on a limited basis for us for a while now

home.earthlink.net/~whitman/mongo1.JPG

I'm aware of that, but i was under the impression those were not suitable for use with a supressor... or at least not tested Though a vortex design would be much better than that silly birdcage. But then again that's what the army probably asked for.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:25:11 PM EDT
Smith Enterprises sells a sound suppressor that fits their Vortex flash hider but only directly to gov't agencies. You can hower get the same can from this guy. davidbfisher@qwest.net
Top Top