Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 2:51:19 AM EDT
I have narrowered it down to these two or a Bravo Co. middy. What would make the Operator worth the extra bucks over the 16" CMMG medium contour middy barrel? I hear awesome things about the Operator, but I also know that CMMG is a serious contender in the AR market. I am probably going to go with a CMMG lower and maybe an upper also. Would a M4 cut upper from CMMG match up with the M4 cyts on a barrel from Denny, or should I go with a CMT upper? Thanks,  Terry
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I honestly Can't figure out the differnce betweent he two other than thee exact profile and price.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the Operator is a Mike Rock match barrel that has been chrome-lined. ICouldn't comment on the other two barrels; but my CMMG mid-length chrome-lined barrel is just your standard GI barrel type.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
OVERWATCH REPORTS:

RECENT CMMG BARRELS HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH ROUGH CHAMBERS. IMPROPER RINSING/CLEANING AFTER PLATING IS THE CAUSE. DENNY ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS HIGH AND PRODUCTS ARE FIRST CLASS.

YOU MAY NOT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, BUT YOU NEVER GET MORE THAN YOU PAY FOR.

OW
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
How much difference between Denny's Operator and CMMG Middy Medcon?

Never owned a Denny,s Opertor barrel--but my two CMMG middy,s work and shoot PerFect!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe DPMS makes CMMG barrels which would explain the price difference...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I believe DPMS makes CMMG barrels which would explain the price difference...

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Only have experience with one.  I  bought one from Denny during the first batch.  I have not shot it much(600rnds) as it is definatly a SPR when you consider the price of 69 to 77+? grn ammo.  

Its shoots as well or better with 55grn and 62(Q3131a and Federal XM193, M855 none of which was PD) than anything i own under 20"(just cost a bit more).  Great, first class barrell with great balance, built like a tank but light, not too bad to look at either IMHO.  etc., etc.,

If you don't plan on buying 69++grn ammo then it loses some of its appeal, but I would still stake my life on this as opposed to any M4 profile barrell or the like even with 55grn.  It works with a bayo and is strong enough to handle it.

I plan on removing my DD 9.0's and replacing them with plastic HG's to make it a super strong lightweight.  Making it a little less of an SPR.  Tthe ONLY reason i am doing this is because i love the barrell but can't afford the 250 to 400 percent increase in price when buing the appropiate ammo.  Plus i would have to be pretty tight on my sling to mess with this thing and at 140lbs i don't think i could effect it using a sling with all my might
I bought it to shoot the big bad new ammo but times$$ have changed for me.

I do not have any Knowledge or the other barrell and can not comment but I have rarley if ever heard bad things about  CMMG from informative posters.

ranting a bit...hope it helps...Feel free to IM with any questions.
lobsterman
kyle
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I plan on removing my DD 9.0's and replacing them with plastic HG's to make it a super strong lightweight.  kyle

Did you know that a DD 9.0 with aluminium barrel nut weighs less than heat shielded plastic handguards with a steel barrel nut, delta ring, etc.?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OVERWATCH REPORTS:

RECENT CMMG BARRELS HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH ROUGH CHAMBERS. IMPROPER RINSING/CLEANING AFTER PLATING IS THE CAUSE. DENNY ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS HIGH AND PRODUCTS ARE FIRST CLASS.

YOU MAY NOT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, BUT YOU NEVER GET MORE THAN YOU PAY FOR.

OW

Just caught this post-The chamber itself is not rough.  If you have discoved residue it is water soluble. Rinsing with warm water will remove any deposit in just a few seconds.

....and for the life of me, I can't figure out WHY anyone who gets a new gun, upper, or plain barrel WOULD NOT clean the bore before assembly and/or first firing?  This would eleminate a lot of the posts that start out "(insert product name here) is AFU and you should never buy their crap again!"

Back on topic, they're all nice barrels.  I have examples from both CMMG and Denny.  I would be happy to purchase either one of them again.

Tom  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have narrowered it down to these two or a Bravo Co. middy. What would make the Operator worth the extra bucks over the 16" CMMG medium contour middy barrel? I hear awesome things about the Operator, but I also know that CMMG is a serious contender in the AR market. I am probably going to go with a CMMG lower and maybe an upper also. Would a M4 cut upper from CMMG match up with the M4 cyts on a barrel from Denny, or should I go with a CMT upper? Thanks,  Terry

I can tell you in reverse that one of Denny's uppers mated up 100% perfectly with my CMMG 14.5" mid-length barrel.  

Therefore if we assume that Denny's barrels match up exactly with Denny's uppers, and that CMMG's barrels match up with CMMG's uppers;

And I have seen first hand that my CMMG barrel matches my Denny's upper, it should also be the case that your Denny's barrel will match your CMMG upper.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I might be incorrect, but I am pretty sure that CMMG makes their own stuff. I'm sure they will correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I might be incorrect, but I am pretty sure that CMMG makes their own stuff. I'm sure they will correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC they do make their own stuff now.  Just talked with them.  Medcons are out of stock for a couple weeks but from what I hear they are worth waiting for.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I doubt they started their own machine shop and are turning and chrome lining barrels in their garage, but I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I doubt they started their own machine shop and are turning and chrome lining barrels in their garage, but I've been wrong before.

I believe they did some work in DPMS in the past but I don't think that's the case anylonger. I believe they have a machine shop local to them that runs their barrels for them.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top