Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 4:27:55 PM EDT
Is the std handguard setup lighter than the lightest FF setup?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the lightest would be the carbon fiber Clark HG at around 5 oz. It is a FF tube.

Not far behind is the Hiperform Ultralight at about 6 oz.  

The standard hanguard setup is in the 7 oz neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#3]
would you consider the weight differences negligible within a reasonable measure.  E,g, building a superlight and want to get as light as possible.  But not like 1oz lighter, you know?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
would you consider the weight differences negligible within a reasonable measure.  E,g, building a superlight and want to get as light as possible.  But not like 1oz lighter, you know?

Who's holding the rifle?

To a petite person (girl), a few ounces might mean a lot after a long day of shooting their AR.

To me an ounce or two arent that big a deal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's holding the rifle?

To a petite person (girl), a few ounces might mean a lot after a long day of shooting their AR.

To me an ounce or two arent that big a deal.

I just thought there might be significant difference between std setup and some hi tech carbon fiber deal, but 5 vs 7 ounces aint the biggest deal.  this is gonna be  akiss rifle.  lightweight 14.5 upper, cavarms lower.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Nevermind, its the Cav Arms handgaurds thats throwing it off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does the 7oz weight of the standard HG's factor in the weight of the barrel nut and handguard cap? Both of which are required to use standard HG's. The Carbon Fiber FF tubes mentioned above remove both of those pieces, so in comparison are even lighter if that 7oz doesnt include those pieces.

The 7.0 oz (can't remember if it is closer to 7.5) was for the standard CAR handguards with single heatshields and all of the mounting hardware.

IMO, I can feel the couple of ounces diff. expecially the farther out in front of you it gets. Not a huge deal, but if you are building an ultralite an ounce here or there adds up quickly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:23:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/100_2065.jpg
USGI (Colt) M4 handguards
Delta Ring Assembly
OEM Barrel Nut
Handguard Cap
9.1 oz

img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/100_2064.jpg
DD 7" Carbine Rail
8.4 oz

More info on weights at this link  . . . . .

now tHAT's the info I wanted!  Thanks Bravo!

BUT that's the answer I didn't want!    now my ultralight KISS rifle is getting expensive!  I have an excuse to get ............ rails!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I built an ultralight about 5 years ago. It was a lot of fun trying to get the weight off everywhere I could. It really worked well. I think my gun come in at just about 5 pounds. No one part takes off a ton of weight, but going with the pieces that are a couple ounces lighter everywhere you can adds up. Use a Colt shaved bolt carrier, use a lightweight barrel (without bayo lug if possible), use the old style 4 position stock, use the lighter handguards, use a flat top with BUIS, or, an old A1 upper without forward assist or brass deflector. Individually, you may not notice the difference in one of these lighter parts over the standard. But add it all up and you will notice the difference. Have fun and good luck! Post pics when youre done!

So far I've got a CAVARMS lower (I love the lowers, but don't want a carbon upper, though I suspect that would be teh lightest) and I'm planning a CMMG lightweight flat top with permanent phantom and YHM A2 buis.  I want the bayo lug though.  Goign with single heat shield CAR HG's instead of double M4's.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't weighed the OLYarms carbine handguards, but they don't include a metal heat shield, so perhaps they would be among the lightest.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I built an ultralight about 5 years ago. It was a lot of fun trying to get the weight off everywhere I could. It really worked well. I think my gun come in at just about 5 pounds. No one part takes off a ton of weight, but going with the pieces that are a couple ounces lighter everywhere you can adds up. Use a Colt shaved bolt carrier, use a lightweight barrel (without bayo lug if possible), use the old style 4 position stock, use the lighter handguards, use a flat top with BUIS, or, an old A1 upper without forward assist or brass deflector. Individually, you may not notice the difference in one of these lighter parts over the standard. But add it all up and you will notice the difference. Have fun and good luck! Post pics when youre done!

NOW THATS SMART!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top