Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 7:17:54 PM EDT
I'm looking at building a Vietnam-era rifle.  We still had the A1's when I first got into my Guard unit and IMO it was as good or better than the A2.  I've read a lot of the threads about the retro rifles, looked at different charts, but still couldn't find an answer to my question.  I'm wanting to build a rifle w/ teardrop FA, no brass deflec., 3 prong flash supressor, and chrome plated carrier w/ the FA notches.  It looks like the old M16 configs are similar to what Colt used to do, as in there is a variance of parts within models.

1- Would the rifle described above be considered an M16A1 or XM16E1?  I'm under the impression that most (if not all) A1's had the birdcage supressor, that is what all the A1's had that were in my unit.

2- Would said rifle have a trapdoor buttstock or not?

3- Does anybody sell a FA notched chrome plated M16 carrier?  I've seen a couple for sale, but they were described as "national match".

Also, when I say chrome, I am talking about the chrome plated exterior, not the standard chrome lined carrier.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as the M16 upper and/or bolt carrier, Sarco sells them.  Some are the pre-chrome lined era M16 uppers.  I don't know what the designation would be, although I suspect M16 w/ birdcage and Forward Assist would be M16A1.

TS
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If it had the three prong suppressor and a chrome notched carrier, it was probably an XM16E1, and would originally have had the buttstock w/o the trapdoor.

Note,however, I said "probably".  The simple fact is that you could find GI M16s with almost any combo of parts, especially in the years during and shortly after Viet Nam.

And that doesn't even begin to account for Colt's habit of using up older type pieces they came accross in the stock room, after a newer type piece was adopted;  though most of that stuff they threw onto commercial ARs, 'cause "What the hell, the civie world will take whatever we give 'em"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Josh , im building the same type of rifle , and if you are looking to buils a early Nam era gun like you described ,  it would be a XM16 , it would not have a door in butt , it would have a 3-prong FH , and I have had a hard time finding a chrome plated USGI F.A. notched bolt carrier , as i have been checking the shows , ( im in Chicago suburbs) , and i have had no luck so-far ,  DPMS ,makes a all chrome carrier , but the chrome plating is not as shiny as the U.S.G.I -  if this doesnot bother you i would go with the DPMS
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys.  I figured rifles of that era would have a variation of parts.  The A1's we had in my unit, IIRC, had no trapdoor, A1 supressor, no forward assist, triangle hg's, parked bolt/carrier, and had M16A1 markings.

Speaking of the chrome carrier, i just saw one for sale on another board.  It was the chrome bolt and carrier, but a little out of my price range @ $185 with the gas rings needing replaced.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You had NO forward assists but the receivers were marked 'A1?  I thought the USAF was the only one that had the M16s.  I remember shooting one in AF basic training that still had the green furniture on it.  I know the military is notorious for using whatever is in the armsroom at the time, explains some variations seen now and then, but that is quite unusual to be mixing those parts.  

When did the lowers get the fencing around the mag release button?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, they were marked M16A1 for sure.  I do not remember them having a FA.  Of course, they were safe/semi/auto.  I also am pretty sure they did not have a trapdoor buttstock.  That is kind of a weird variation.  All of the ones I remember seeing were Colt rifles.  Of course, we also had M60's in our unit up until just recently when they were deployed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
All M16A1s had FA.  Only the Air Force M16 was without the FA.  But again I guess anything was possible but the Army made a big stink that they wanted the FA.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]

When did the lowers get the fencing around the mag release button?  

That came with the M16A1.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought chrome plated carriers (outside, not inside) were allowed for training weapons but not for deployment? Thats what my manual says.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I thought chrome plated carriers (outside, not inside) were allowed for training weapons but not for deployment? Thats what my manual says.

At some point after the abandonment of chrome on the bolts/carriers, a decision was made by Army Ordnance (?) to keep those pieces in boot camps.  Why, I really don't know; since they had served OK in Viet Nam.  Maybe it was just because a chrome carrier on an M16A1 indicated a more well used piece.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top