Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:04:26 PM EDT
I have an aquaintance who's son is with the USMC in Iraq. He wants his dad to send him a 4 position stock to put onto his M16A4. Other than the the ACE M4 SOCOM does anyone know of another collapsible stock that will work with the full size buffer and receiver extension tube of the rifle?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have an aquaintance who's son is with the USMC in Iraq. He wants his dad to send him a 4 position stock to put onto his M16A4. Other than the the ACE M4 SOCOM does anyone know of another collapsible stock that will work with the full size buffer and receiver extension tube of the rifle?

No coll. stock will work with a rifle tube and buffer. You'll have to send those too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The new stock should come with a carbine buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#3]
He may like the Crane stock made by LMT - nice cheekweld and storage for batteries
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a complete Rock River in black. It will do what he needs it to do and he will not loose a lot of money. He will have to live it their after his tour.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
And I guess his unit is just going to let him individually modify his govt issued weapon?   I could see easily removeable items such as an optic, a surefire weapon light, or VFG maybe, but changing the buffer assembly would be a no-no in every unit I have been in unless it was something the entire unit was doing or he had the BN CDRs approval...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And I guess his unit is just going to let him individually modify his govt issued weapon?   I could see easily removeable items such as an optic, a surefire weapon light, or VFG maybe, but changing the buffer assembly would be a no-no in every unit I have been in unless it was something the entire unit was doing or he had the BN CDRs approval...

Provided he gets past the part Copperhead raised.............this will be a nice choice (LMT / SOPMOD)

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]
while in Iraq my unit didn't care if we put on different stocks or even short barrel uppers on our rifles as long as the rifle wasput back in original configuration when turned in. And it also varies as to wether customs will let you come home with your parts- if you save a recipit from purchase and or get a letter from command indicating the parts are personal property you might get them home too. I decided after 11 months in Iraq it was easier to sell the parts to a new incoming guy who would need them than try to hassle with bringing them home.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 LMT SOPMOD

If they're allowed to do it.

Other alternate choice would be Vltor Modstock complete kit, the battery compartment is modular and removable when using gas mask.

LMT standard M4 or CMT M4 complete kit are also other good choices at lower cost.

He should also ask if they would require tools like the new three prong type CAR stock wrench, staking tool and Loctite.

Extra receiver end plate, nut and action spring would be an option if he's going to sell it before he goes back home.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I am more concerned with the reliabilty of using a carbine buffer, spring and extension tube one a rifle since the gas set up is different. I am hesitant to suggest just swapping the carbine parts for the rifle parts on a weapon that he may have to use in combat.

Apparently his unit has been cleared to purchase the parts as long as their armorer does the installations. I know in my armorer's course that using the carbine parts on a rifle or vice versa was a no-no.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#11]
using the carbine stock on my issue m16a4 provided no problems- 100% function
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Carbine parts on a rifle are a big no-no right now. In the Army, TACOM published a big SOUM about this particular subject and it's a great way to get slammed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Replacing a fixed stock with a tele-stock is considered depot level maintanence. An individual soldier is not allowed to do that. If his commander says its okay, then he needs to get it in writing.

And if he does get one, then he should get one that is mil-spec. In this case it does matter. CavArms stocks are not mil-spec and for about the same money you can get a Stag/CMT stock that is mil-spec.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Replacing a fixed stock with a tele-stock is considered depot level maintanence. An individual soldier is not allowed to do that. If his commander says its okay, then he needs to get it in writing.

And at least in the Army is not authorized. In the Marines, hey it may be waaaay different.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The Canadian Army uses a similar configuration, a 20" barrelled upper with a 4-position collapser.  The reliability is not an issue as long as his M-16 is reliable to begin with.  I would however warn him about the overall "feel" of the rifle in this configuration.  The LOP of a collapsible stock is much less than a fixed stock and it will change just about every subjective thing about the rifle.  Cheek weld, perceived sight radius, balance, shouldering, all of it.  He won't have the instinct for it that he might have developed with the fixed stock.  Of course he can always take it off if he doesn't like it.  Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Make sure he gets a properly sized receiver extension, so he can use a military stock if he needs to. That means LMT, CMT, Stag, Colt or VLTOR. If he does this, he needs an end plate, castle nut and buffer/spring. If he wants/needs to keep the rifle receiver extension, then he should send a Cavalry Arms A1stock and screw. No other parts are necessary.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#17]
We sent me brother all kinds of stuff when he was in Iraq, Including stock's,mag followers,spec-ops sling.He also is a MARINE. He never said anything about any prolblems.?? He also left every thing over there when he returned. Sold it i would assume. There is a lot of stuff thats beging sold off the black market. I know a contractor thats been getting lines on Acog's. Cash price of 500.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top