Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 1:42:31 PM EDT
What are the advantages to this?  the site said that the lubricity was higher and I can feel as much and titanium doesn't rust.  The site also said some stuff about accuracy and reliability etc.  Pretty much i want the truth.  How is this better, if so, than a normal bolt and carrier from Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
what site?  what specific product? the TiN coated?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
www.deltaforce.com -> AR-15 Tactical Accessories -> 4th item down, DPMS titanium coated ar-15 bolt carrier assembly.  It came via UPS today and I have a McFarlan 1-peice gas ring on it but the gas ring seems pretty tight in the carrier.  It's a lot harder to move the bolt in and out than with the original gas rings.  I just got it because i'm sick of those nasty little rings repositioning themselves and causing problems
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Regular rings are not a problem. I use McFarland just cause, but not because I think it does anything.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What are the advantages to this?  the site said that the lubricity was higher and I can feel as much and titanium doesn't rust.  The site also said some stuff about accuracy and reliability etc.  Pretty much i want the truth.  How is this better, if so, than a normal bolt and carrier from Bushmaster?

None.  Bullshit.  Bullshit.  There you go.  Its not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, everyone.  At least now I have a golden carrier/bolt and will NEVER trust DPMS ever again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#6]
money better spent elsewhere
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright I took the two bolts & carriers (stock and DPMS) up to the U of U first thing this morning and we did lubricity tests.  While the DPMS is indeed titanium, and has a higher lubricity it made absolutely no difference in anything at all!  Which seems to run concurrent to what i've been told.  I also chastized deltaforce.com for false advertisement, demanded compensation for my funds in terms of the difference between that bolt and carrier and a normal one.  So far I have been told that they will give me the difference back and throw in some 'Rubber Rocket' non-lethal 12 gauge rounds for the trouble!  I figure it aint too bad of a deal in the end.  Although DPMS has horrible craftmanship compared to Bushmaster.  There are machining gouges all over the front part of the bolt carrier.  I'm really disappointed in their low quality standards.

EDIT: oh and with it came a chromed YHM "NM" bolt and carrier (LOL!) which has higher lubricity also but is just like DPMS' bolt and carrier except a much higher quality of machine work.  I like this bolt as it looks pimpin in my AR.  But on that note, so does the golden titanium one.  Decisions decisions...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it a TiN coated bolt?  To me, calling that a titanium bolt is like saying a margarita is a "sodium" or "chlorine"  drink because its outside (of the glass) is coated with salt which is made up of sodium and chlorine .  TiN is only supposed to coat stuf, and to be honest it doesn't really do much fo rme on cutting tools, either.

on a side note, it makes me laugh out loud when "titanium drill bits" (really just TiN coated steel drills) are advertised at stores and people think "they're harder than steel, they're made of titanium" (which is a fallacy itself)!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope, its a titanium covered bolt.  if it was TiN I wouldda said TiN.EDIT: Let me clarify, it was advertised everywhere I saw it as a titanium covered/plated bolt.  When I 'covertly' tried to scratch the inside of the carrier with a nail it didnt work.  Nothing came off which I guess should be reassuring.  Essentially tho its just a hi-lubricity normal bolt and carrier which is ideal for dry dusty Utah.  It is mostly for that and cool appeal I guess.  It does look fairly sweet in an AR.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#10]
what color is it, like a steel metal/shiny or what?  Just curious on what could be the positives of the design

You're saying that it is a steel bolt coated with some kind of Ti alloy or pure Ti....its not gold or matte-black colored, is it??
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]
its yellow. Almost gold but not much metallic luster.  There are definite machining marks as the inside seems to be gouged vertically every so often (where the bolt is held it's smooth) and the frontal section has horizontal lines on the outside which make it a bit bumpy when running ur finger vertically down the side.  However past the end of the firig pin on back its smooth outside.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
its yellow. Almost gold but not much metallic luster.  There are definite machining marks as the inside seems to be gouged vertically every so often (where the bolt is held it's smooth) and the frontal section has horizontal lines on the outside which make it a bit bumpy when running ur finger vertically down the side.  However past the end of the firig pin on back its smooth outside.

That is TiN (notice the i is lower case), which is Titanium Nitride (a coating with titanium in it), next time maybe think a little bit before:

" if it was TiN I wouldda said TiN"  

Like I said before, I'm not a big believer in it (for cutting tools, my exp.) myself, but it does look cool, but it will wear off after a while
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I see. anyway like I posted above, I only ended up paying the cost of a normal DPMS bolt/carry assy. because of the quality of workmanship.  So I figure it wasnt a bad purchase.  I've replaced the normal Bushy bolt/carry with a Y/M chrome plated "NM" bolt/carrier assy. with McFarland 1-peice ring because I can't shoot my guns very wet in this dusty climate or they jam up too much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top