Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/13/2006 6:54:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:57:06 PM EDT by Barney_Calhoun]
I ordered what was advertised as a "Vortex Flash Hider" from Gunsmoke Enterprises and from what I received in the mail today, it looks as if I got screwed. I haven't used it yet so I can't tell you if it works as advertised, but there's no doubt what they sold me is a knock off of the real thing. The item sold to me has four prongs that are cut in the same fashion as the prongs found on a Vortex Flashhider however, the prongs on the item Gunsmoke Enterprises sold me are straight as an arrow, ie: there's no sprial / "Vortex" induced to the prongs. The item I received was advertised and sold as a "Vortex Flash Hider" by Gunsmoke Enterprises, paid for and shipped interstate commerce via U.S. Mail. (Im thinking mail fraud here.) Question: Is "Vortex" a brand name flash hider or merely a design that anyone can make themselves and sell under the "Vortex" name?

P.S. I saw the thread warning people away from Gunsmoke Enterprises AFTER I placed this order. I assumed they were a legitimate company due to the fact that AR15.com has a link to their website on the AR Pistol forum....

Link is on this thread

Does AR15.com recommend Gunsmoke Enterprises as a legitimate company to do business with?

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:08:40 PM EDT
Can't comment on what AR15.com considers Gunsmoke Enterprises. What they sold you is either an early model Vortex or, more likely a Young Vortec flash suppressor. They are stock on the POF piston uppers and are somewhat less effective than the curved Smith Vortex.

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
This place is still in business? Is this the east coast distributor for Botach?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:10:05 AM EDT
ther are plenty of dealers here that are very reputable and will sell you what they advertise.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:58:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 8:59:23 AM EDT by Boom]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:29:27 PM EDT
They are advertising a Vortex and it is priced at $40 like a Vortex.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 10:35:29 PM EDT by Prophet118]
It is a Vortex Gen 2. They are also sold on DSA's web site.They sell it for $30.
DSA
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:17:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 5:18:23 AM EDT by Barney_Calhoun]

Originally Posted By Prophet118:
It is a Vortex Gen 2. They are also sold on DSA's web site.They sell it for $30.
DSA

The name "Gen 2" sounds as if this is a second generation of the Vortex flash hider. In an email response to me, Gunsmoke Ent. said their "Vortex" is the old style/original Vortex. How many generation/versions of the Vortex are there? Does the Gen2 work as well as the Smith Vortex? It'll be at least three weeks before I will have a free weekend to do night fire.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:59:11 AM EDT
There are 6 versions - the current being the G6 or G6A2.

I thought they ALL had a twist to them...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:24:00 PM EDT
I have the same flash suppressor and purchased it and some other items from GSE last year. I can't tell you if I got screwed or not, as it seems to work. My range is pretty much covered with baffles and fairly dark on an overcast day. My 8 3/8 Model 29 really lights the place up.

I can't detect any flash from the side or rear. Before anybody says ANYTHING, I could with the birdcage that was on it before. This is on a 16" barrel. I haven't found a test subject to report from downrange.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:36:25 PM EDT
The early Vortex flash suppressors had straight tines, not spiraled like the current iterations.

History of the Vortex thread
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:44:34 PM EDT
very early ones.

i don't think this guy got a vortex.
Top Top