Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 6:11:45 AM EDT
I have a potential trade offer going for a Colt HBAR Match rifle.  I need to know what to look for to "identify" the rifle, that is, to be sure it is really that and not something someone made up in his garage.  Though I am familiar with ARs in general, and can strip one, what do the parts have to say, receiver, etc?  Yes, the barrel is plain front, no comp. or flash suppressor.  From the photos, there is some lettering on the top of the barrel, near the muzzle, along the axis of the barrel.  What should that say?   Fortunately, I will get to see it when I meet the guy, just nee to know what to look for.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Gee , how about a little detail?

You can buy a Brand New Colt A2 Hbar for about $1100

What are you trading?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Though the value isn't relevant. it's a couple to few hundred less than that.  Actually, the "details" are the question.  I don't really know what the details on the rifle are supposed to be, whch is why I am asking.  All I know at this stage is what it is called or, more accurately, what the other guy is calling it.  I need to know what those details are supposed to be.  What is it supposed to say, and where, for example?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is marking info.

biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts

biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers

Don't know why you think anyone would counterfeit a Neutered Colt AR and sell it
used for several hundred less than $1k though  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here is marking info.

biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts

biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers

Don't know why you think anyone would counterfeit a Neutered Colt AR and sell it
used for several hundred less than $1k though  

Thanks for reminding me of the biggerhammer website.  Yes, those marks will be helpful.  

Regarding your last sentence about why.  I have no idea why people do a lot of what they do.  I'm just trying to protect myself from my own lack of detailed knowledge, and hope others wit more will point me in the right direction, as you have.  Actually, I feel I can trust the guy I'm dealing with but, it may be the person from whom he bought it that might be the problem.  I don't know why someone might counterfeit something, but it happens every day.

Thanks,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top