Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/10/2006 4:20:58 PM EDT
I'm trying to remove my old A2 buffer tube from the reciever to install a new collapsable stock, and for the life of me, i cannot get the tube to unscrew. These aren't reverse threads are they? I could use some suggestions as i have to be so very careful not to damage the lower, its a registered preban in calif. If i mess this lower up, i'm done here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:30:20 PM EDT
They are installed using a right handed thread. I have heard of people putting uppers in the freezer overnight to loosen stuck barrel nuts (never tried it myself, but I heard that it works). I don't know if that would work on the receiver extension or not.

Might try a good quality penetrating oil, and maybe just a SLIGHT amount of heat from a torch...not too much to weaken the material, just warm it up in hopes it comes loose.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:39:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 4:40:08 PM EDT by Gunfighter01]
Thanks, i did put some clp on it, and is letting it set, we have some spray at work that the mechanics use to free up nuts and bolts on diesel engines, i might try some of that. It has never been removed, so i imagine that all the heat and carbon build up probably has it locked down pretty tight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:48:02 PM EDT
I encountered the same problem last week with a bushmaster. Started out with a small screwdriver and only managed to partially strip the scew and both bend and break the screwdriver! I ended up going to sears and getting the biggest QUALITY screw driver I could find [Craftsman 3/8" 10" for $9]. The blade fit perfectly in the screw slot and after l put the gun upside down with the muzzle (brake) on the ground I leaned on the screw driver and clenched down and managed to loosen it. Wasn't easy but it just took a little convincing. Bracing your knees against the magwell or pistol grip helps prevent the whole gun from turning under torque.
Good luck
Ryan
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:13:53 PM EDT
it was probably loctited at the factory. use some heat and it will then come right off
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:32:24 PM EDT
I got it off guys,thanks for the help. I just tapped on the spanner wrench while putting a little pressure on it. It took a little while, but it finely loosened up.
Top Top